Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

600-pound man evicted allegedly because of his weight...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

http://www.myfoxny.c...ed-20120315-lgf

#2 dawniedawn67

dawniedawn67
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/600-pound-man-evicted-20120315-lgf

If is weight is causing damage to the apartment, then I think the landlord has the right to evict. But he should give the family ample time to make other arrangements.

#3 Bad Doctor Frost

Bad Doctor Frost

Audi-mobile guy

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

The sooner this country starts sending the message that being fat is NOT ok, the sooner this problem will be fixed. Maybe he can shed a few pounds walking from park bench to park bench to sleep.

#4 blackberry74

blackberry74
  • Members
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

http://www.myfoxny.c...ed-20120315-lgf

If is weight is causing damage to the apartment, then I think the landlord has the right to evict. But he should give the family ample time to make other arrangements.

Yep. If he's evicting them & giving them notice as specified in the lease, I don't have a problem with it.

#5 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

I agree. Sounds like if he stays their much longer, the place will be structurally unsound.

#6 SplashMom

SplashMom
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

When I was a home health nurse years ago, one of our patients weighed 450+ pounds. She was a diabetic who'd had a leg amputated. Due to the amputation paired with her weight, she could not get out of the bed. Her doctors wanted to fit her for a prosthetic leg but she couldn't get one at that weight. Occasionally she would roll over too far and fall off the bed, at which time the fire department would have to send out several men to pick her up off the floor and place her back on the bed.

The article doesn't say how much time he and his mother are being given but I would think if an eviction notice has been served, it would give thirty days or so. That seems like ample time to find a new place ... and enough time to cause additional damage. I can't say I blame the landlord.

#7 mk_378

mk_378
  • Members
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

The apartment must be rather shoddily constructed or otherwise in disrepair. Ordinary construction can handle a 600 pound person. I have not heard of another case like this.

#8 fusioncredit

fusioncredit

Bump Influence XXIII

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

I have to say the situation is unfortunate and I hope they are able to find another place before being evicted.

What I can't seem to understand is how someone let's themselves get obese or why family didn't intervene when they noticed a significant gain in weight. Posted Image

#9 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 16,178 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

The apartment must be rather shoddily constructed or otherwise in disrepair. Ordinary construction can handle a 600 pound person. I have not heard of another case like this.

the article states that it's a 'walk up' - this could be an really old place in connecticut.

and if he can't move, and there isn't a lift, the fire dept will have to get him out .

so, a 600 # guy and 4-6 Firemen weighing 180- 250#'s ea, is going to get him out without falling thru the floor?

they may have to take him out thru the wall / window - like this guy.

http://newyork.cbslo...-moriches-home/

#10 Battle_of_Evermore

Battle_of_Evermore
  • Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

I have to say the situation is unfortunate and I hope they are able to find another place before being evicted.

What I can't seem to understand is how someone let's themselves get obese or why family didn't intervene when they noticed a significant gain in weight. Posted Image

There could be many ways that people let themselves get that obese. There could be an underlying medical issue, there could have been some sort of accident or maybe some kind of emotional issue. There are those who just let themselves go. More often than not, families enable the behavior. Society in general doesn't help.

#11 cotterpin

cotterpin

No Title Necessary

• Mod Squad
  • 4,987 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

It's in New Haven, from the video it appears to be an older building. The spot in the floor which collapsed appears to be between the joists. You think a single piece of subfloor with rug over it is meant to hold 600lbs in one spot? No. It's not. A refrigerator or piece of furniture will be OK since the weight is usually distributed evenly, across multiple floor joists.

The tub is clearly sinking due to the man's weight. The rot from water that his mother pointed out is probably due to her having to bathe him while he sits on the edge, it probably pools there as it drips. The entire tub is sinking and pulling away from the wall. Yes, of course the floor hasn't been repaired where the guy fell through. His weight damaged the floor, that means the tenant is responsible to repair it. It was not a defect in the floor itself that caused the damage.

I pity the person who owns the condo underneath these people.

#12 flyboy

flyboy
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

The sooner this country starts sending the message that being fat is NOT ok, the sooner this problem will be fixed. Maybe he can shed a few pounds walking from park bench to park bench to sleep.

bdf sometimes I think you act like a jerk just to get a response. I just hope that you're never in a situation where you're judged for your looks/weight/health or anything similar, because there are so many people who won't have any sympathy for you. By the way, just in case you're wondering, yes I'm overweight.

#13 Tigz

Tigz
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

He really needs to be placed on a ground floor....preferably on slab.

I totally agree about the tub, and I really feel sorry for the toilet....because you are talking of at lest 400 of the 600 lbs being evenly distributed over a 18x28" area which is about 3 sf area, plus another 100 lb for the weight of the toilet. so that would be about a weight load of around 166 lbs per sq foot. (if I did my math correctly).

I don't know why this man is so large....and it isn't for me to make comments about him. All I am saying is that with his weight, he needs to have an area that is better reinforced....and such a place would be on a ground floor with a slab foundation.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.