Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.

Photo

REPORTING MERCHANT VIOLATIONS

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:25 PM

Visa
Phone Number: 1-800-VISA-911 (International: 1-410-581-9994) and you can also call the number on the back of your card
Mailing Address:
Visa U.S.A. Inc.
P.O. Box 194607
San Francisco, California 94119-4607
Online: Your card issuer's website may let you send them complaints about merchant violations and start a dispute if your were charged a fee to use your card.

MasterCard
Phone Number: 1-800-MASTERCARD (International: 1-636-722-7111) and you can also call the number on the back of your card.
Online: http://www.mastercar...violations.html (Also you may be able to dispute a charge online if you were charged a fee.)

American Express
Phone Number: 1-800-528-4800 (International: 1-336-393-1111)
Mailing Address:
American Express
P.O. Box 297812
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33329-7812
Online: Login to your account at www.americanexpress.com and then click e-mail on the right side. You can also dispute a charge online if you were charged a fee to use your card.

Other Useful Links
Rules for Visa Merchants: http://usa.visa.com/...a_merchants.pdf
MasterCard Merchant Rules: http://www.mastercar...hant_rules.html
MSNBC Article About No Minimums Allowed: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11697094/
California Civil Code Prohibiting Surcharges for Credit Card Use: http://law.onecle.co...vil/1748.1.html
Merchant Credit Card Abuses: http://www.gofso.com...-merchants.html
Google Answers on State Laws Regarding Surcharges: http://answers.googl...dview?id=723060

#2 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,838 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:15 PM

ttt

#3 realpix

realpix
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:39 AM

I called VISA and they sent me a form letter (full page of text) and basically told me to report any violation to the bank that issued the card.

It's like they are making it hard to process a complaint.

Don't know how to post a jpg (if it is allowed) - but I'd be glad to send a copy to a moderator or whatever.

Just give me an address to send it to. :unsure:

#4 webworm98

webworm98
  • Members
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:12 AM

I called VISA and they sent me a form letter (full page of text) and basically told me to report any violation to the bank that issued the card.

It's like they are making it hard to process a complaint.

Don't know how to post a jpg (if it is allowed) - but I'd be glad to send a copy to a moderator or whatever.

Just give me an address to send it to. :cry2:

Here is what you need to do, Just snail mail Visa. Just ignore the form they sent you. You are not talking to anyone in the U.S. when you call them.

Edited by webworm98, 01 July 2007 - 08:13 AM.

#5 soldiergurl74

soldiergurl74
  • Members
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

If Visa doesn't even care, why should we

#6 thelowpriceleader

thelowpriceleader
  • Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

My Visa card issuing bank told me to call Visa to make the complaint. They even gave me the phone number. I've made multiple complaints to Visa and have received those form letters. I will continue to call Visa to make future complaints. I used to simply report every merchant, though I also strongly suggest complaining to the merchant's corporate office prior to filing these complaints. The majority will correct things. Some won't. That is where Visa and / or Mastercard can be brought in.

#7 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,838 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

ttt

#8 Faelynn V

Faelynn V
  • Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:24 AM

Is there a link for the AMEX Merchant Terms? I cannot find one through the site - is it a violation for AMEX merchants to request ID as a condition of sale?

#9 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,838 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

ttt

#10 ewic12

ewic12
  • Newbies
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:05 AM

Report violations with American Express at the following link:

http://americanexpress.com/yourchoice

#11 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:28 AM

If Visa doesn't even care, why should we

IT WAS THEIR IDEA IN THE FIRST PLACE...

That is right they don't care

:)

Oy Vey

Edited by GEORGE, 23 July 2007 - 08:30 AM.

#12 mikkopel

mikkopel
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

I think this info is sticky material...

#13 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,838 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:45 PM

ttt

#14 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

I call Visa directly. I get letters similar to the one below and if I go back to the reported merchant, the nonsense has stopped. Quite often calling the corporate offices of a local store will get results too, as corporate usually has no idea of what the locals are doing.

Posted Image

#15 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:28 AM

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or picture ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard International, c/o Radio City Station, P. O. Box 1288, New York, NY 10101. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine.

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. To report a merchant, send a letter to the bank that issued your Visa card.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is take an imprint, make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization."

#16 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:31 AM

I call Visa directly. I get letters similar to the one below and if I go back to the reported merchant, the nonsense has stopped. Quite often calling the corporate offices of a local store will get results too, as corporate usually has no idea of what the locals are doing.

Posted Image

Thank you so much for taking the time to make a difference. :mellow:

Never show ID for signed credit cards purchases.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases. Merchants cannot require ID.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure they never do again.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911
MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online at:

http://www.mastercar...violations.html

Check the box that says "Merchant required ID"

Never show ID for signed credit card purchases ever.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases ever.

#17 Lucky225

Lucky225
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:02 AM

Yea, 800-visa-911 always sends me those letters, I'm not sure if visa actually contacts the acquirer or not. Visa always tells you in the future to contact the issuing bank, and the issuing bank always tells you to contact Visa, it's always the run around when you try to report Visa violations. That's why I always ask the merchant, well if I use my MasterCard do I have to show ID? To which they always reply, "Yes ID is required on all credit card purchases." Then I just go to mastercard's website and report the violation to them, it gets taken care of quicker.

#18 Uncle Leo

Uncle Leo
  • Bloggers
  • 8,701 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:20 PM

Yea, 800-visa-911 always sends me those letters, I'm not sure if visa actually contacts the acquirer or not. Visa always tells you in the future to contact the issuing bank, and the issuing bank always tells you to contact Visa, it's always the run around when you try to report Visa violations. That's why I always ask the merchant, well if I use my MasterCard do I have to show ID? To which they always reply, "Yes ID is required on all credit card purchases." Then I just go to mastercard's website and report the violation to them, it gets taken care of quicker.

Remind VISA that it's their policy, not the bank's policy.

#19 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:40 AM

I call Visa directly. I get letters similar to the one below and if I go back to the reported merchant, the nonsense has stopped.

One call does it all.

Every report helps everyone. :warning:

#20 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:18 AM

ttt

#21 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:24 AM

Sticky?

#22 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 47,838 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

under consideration.

TY

#23 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:34 AM

ttt

#24 Continental

Continental
  • Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:51 AM

ttt

#25 Chicnltn

Chicnltn
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:48 PM

ttt

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2013 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.