Sign in to follow this  
BBQ123

REPORTING MERCHANT VIOLATIONS

Visa

Phone Number: 1-800-VISA-911 (International: 1-410-581-9994) and you can also call the number on the back of your card

Mailing Address:

Visa U.S.A. Inc.

P.O. Box 194607

San Francisco, California 94119-4607

Online: Your card issuer's website may let you send them complaints about merchant violations and start a dispute if your were charged a fee to use your card.

MasterCard

Phone Number: 1-800-MASTERCARD (International: 1-636-722-7111) and you can also call the number on the back of your card.

Online: http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/c...violations.html (Also you may be able to dispute a charge online if you were charged a fee.)

American Express

Phone Number: 1-800-528-4800 (International: 1-336-393-1111)

Mailing Address:

American Express

P.O. Box 297812

Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33329-7812

Online: Login to your account at www.americanexpress.com and then click e-mail on the right side. You can also dispute a charge online if you were charged a fee to use your card.

Other Useful Links

Rules for Visa Merchants: http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/rul...a_merchants.pdf

MasterCard Merchant Rules: http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/how_...hant_rules.html

MSNBC Article About No Minimums Allowed: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11697094/

California Civil Code Prohibiting Surcharges for Credit Card Use: http://law.onecle.com/california/civil/1748.1.html

Merchant Credit Card Abuses: http://www.gofso.com/Premium/LE/06_le_ic/f...-merchants.html

Google Answers on State Laws Regarding Surcharges: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=723060

I called VISA and they sent me a form letter (full page of text) and basically told me to report any violation to the bank that issued the card.

It's like they are making it hard to process a complaint.

Don't know how to post a jpg (if it is allowed) - but I'd be glad to send a copy to a moderator or whatever.

Just give me an address to send it to. :unsure:

I called VISA and they sent me a form letter (full page of text) and basically told me to report any violation to the bank that issued the card.

It's like they are making it hard to process a complaint.

Don't know how to post a jpg (if it is allowed) - but I'd be glad to send a copy to a moderator or whatever.

Just give me an address to send it to. :cry2:

Here is what you need to do, Just snail mail Visa. Just ignore the form they sent you. You are not talking to anyone in the U.S. when you call them.

Edited by webworm98

My Visa card issuing bank told me to call Visa to make the complaint. They even gave me the phone number. I've made multiple complaints to Visa and have received those form letters. I will continue to call Visa to make future complaints. I used to simply report every merchant, though I also strongly suggest complaining to the merchant's corporate office prior to filing these complaints. The majority will correct things. Some won't. That is where Visa and / or Mastercard can be brought in.

Is there a link for the AMEX Merchant Terms? I cannot find one through the site - is it a violation for AMEX merchants to request ID as a condition of sale?

If Visa doesn't even care, why should we

IT WAS THEIR IDEA IN THE FIRST PLACE...

That is right they don't care

:)

Oy Vey

Edited by GEORGE

I call Visa directly. I get letters similar to the one below and if I go back to the reported merchant, the nonsense has stopped. Quite often calling the corporate offices of a local store will get results too, as corporate usually has no idea of what the locals are doing.

visa_letter1.jpg

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or picture ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard International, c/o Radio City Station, P. O. Box 1288, New York, NY 10101. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine.

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. To report a merchant, send a letter to the bank that issued your Visa card.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is take an imprint, make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization."

I call Visa directly. I get letters similar to the one below and if I go back to the reported merchant, the nonsense has stopped. Quite often calling the corporate offices of a local store will get results too, as corporate usually has no idea of what the locals are doing.

visa_letter1.jpg

Thank you so much for taking the time to make a difference. :mellow:

Never show ID for signed credit cards purchases.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases. Merchants cannot require ID.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure they never do again.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911

MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online at:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/c...violations.html

Check the box that says "Merchant required ID"

Never show ID for signed credit card purchases ever.

No ID required for signed credit card purchases ever.

Yea, 800-visa-911 always sends me those letters, I'm not sure if visa actually contacts the acquirer or not. Visa always tells you in the future to contact the issuing bank, and the issuing bank always tells you to contact Visa, it's always the run around when you try to report Visa violations. That's why I always ask the merchant, well if I use my MasterCard do I have to show ID? To which they always reply, "Yes ID is required on all credit card purchases." Then I just go to mastercard's website and report the violation to them, it gets taken care of quicker.

Yea, 800-visa-911 always sends me those letters, I'm not sure if visa actually contacts the acquirer or not. Visa always tells you in the future to contact the issuing bank, and the issuing bank always tells you to contact Visa, it's always the run around when you try to report Visa violations. That's why I always ask the merchant, well if I use my MasterCard do I have to show ID? To which they always reply, "Yes ID is required on all credit card purchases." Then I just go to mastercard's website and report the violation to them, it gets taken care of quicker.

Remind VISA that it's their policy, not the bank's policy.

I call Visa directly. I get letters similar to the one below and if I go back to the reported merchant, the nonsense has stopped.

One call does it all.

Every report helps everyone. :warning:

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    wandasoto
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines