Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

State AG- CRA settlement agreement going into effect

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 22,897 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:11 AM

( I am amazed how they put  the spin on this ) 

Last year, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion  announced the  National  Consumer Assistance Plan to enhance their ability to collect complete and accurate consumer information and provide consumers more transparency when interacting with consumer reporting agencies about their credit reports.

The plan was announced after cooperative discussions and an agreement with the Attorneys General of multiple states.

The "Cooperative discussion" involved  2 years of investigations by the NY and OH AG's  and 1 year of settlement talks to avoid lawsuits

and paid 6 million in Fines.  

http://www.ag.ny.gov...uted 3.8.15.pdf

http://ag.nv.gov/upl..._Provisions.pdf

Collection Agencies and Debt Buyers Report the name of the Original Creditor and Creditor Classification Code 6/15/2016

Collection Agencies and Debt Buyers Do not report debt that did not arise from a contract or agreement to pay 6/15/2016

Collection Agencies and Debt Buyers Report a full file monthly 9/1/2016

Collection Agencies and Debt Buyers Do not report Medical Debt collection accounts less than 180 days old 9/15/2017

Collection Agencies and Debt Buyers Report a delete for accounts that are being paid or were paid in full through insurance 9/15/2017

All Data Furnishers Report using the newly established minimum reporting requirements for consumer personally identifiable information 9/15/2017

Reporters of Authorized User Data Report full Date of Birth for new Authorized Users on all accounts 9/15/2017

#2 dvd

dvd
  • Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:17 PM

( I am amazed how they put  the spin on this ) 

Last year, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion  announced the  National  Consumer Assistance Plan to enhance their ability to collect complete and accurate consumer information and provide consumers more transparency when interacting with consumer reporting agencies about their credit reports.

The plan was announced after cooperative discussions and an agreement with the Attorneys General of multiple states.

The "Cooperative discussion" involved  2 years of investigations by the NY and OH AG's  and 1 year of settlement talks to avoid lawsuits

and paid 6 million in Fines.  

http://www.ag.ny.gov...uted 3.8.15.pdf

http://ag.nv.gov/upl..._Provisions.pdf

Collection Agencies and Debt Buyers Report the name of the Original Creditor and Creditor Classification Code 6/15/2016

Collection Agencies and Debt Buyers Do not report debt that did not arise from a contract or agreement to pay 6/15/2016

Collection Agencies and Debt Buyers Report a full file monthly 9/1/2016

Collection Agencies and Debt Buyers Do not report Medical Debt collection accounts less than 180 days old 9/15/2017

Collection Agencies and Debt Buyers Report a delete for accounts that are being paid or were paid in full through insurance 9/15/2017

All Data Furnishers Report using the newly established minimum reporting requirements for consumer personally identifiable information 9/15/2017

Reporters of Authorized User Data Report full Date of Birth for new Authorized Users on all accounts 9/15/2017

Does this mean that the CRA are going to review files and automatically delete collections that dont fall under these guidelines or does the consumer have to dispute or request an administrative removal?

#3 SierraStar

SierraStar
  • Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:26 PM

Is it me or does the NY AG tend to go after CAs, JDBS & the CRAs more than most state AGs?

#4 dvd

dvd
  • Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:20 PM

Is it me or does the NY AG tend to go after CAs, JDBS & the CRAs more than most state AGs?

I think your right about NYAG being more aggressive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 22,897 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:44 PM

Has more to go after, there in NY ?? 

MS, WV, IL, MN, AG's aren't too shoddy at it either 

#6 Aedynn

Aedynn
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:54 PM

Someone has to be a Leader and rally to get changes done. I'm personally ecstatic over ALL of their efforts.

#7 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 22,897 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

just remember,   for a State AG to take action,  they Gotta know about it first. ! 

don't fail to make complaint's about CA's & JDB"s and CRA's  ! 

#8 SierraStar

SierraStar
  • Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

just remember,   for a State AG to take action,  they Gotta know about it first. ! 

don't fail to make complaint's about CA's & JDB"s and CRA's  ! 

+111111111111111111

You got that right, file those complaints, if they don't know about them, nothing can be done.

Has more to go after, there in NY ?? 

MS, WV, IL, MN, AG's aren't too shoddy at it either 

Buffalo Gang per chance? 

MS definitely got things done, don't know much about WV, IL & MN. 

CA is doing good things too. 

#9 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 22,897 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

^^^

#10 paycuthurtme

paycuthurtme
  • Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

Collection Agencies and Debt Buyers Report the name of the Original Creditor and Creditor Classification Code 6/15/2016

I have a Midland account on my EQ and it has never shown who the OC is. Is this just an EQ thing where you have to buy a paper report to see it?

#11 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 22,897 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:03 PM

probably, 

#12 dvd

dvd
  • Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:27 AM

Some one told me that these changes only apply to residents in states where their AG signed on to this. I thought it applied to all residents in all 50 states and D.C.

#13 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 22,897 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:54 AM

Some one told me that these changes only apply to residents in states where their AG signed on to this. I thought it applied to all residents in all 50 states and D.C.

31 State AG's joined in on the suit, but the CRA;s are making the Changes nationwide. 

#14 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 22,897 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

III. AFFIRMATIVE OBLIGATIONS AND PROHIBITIONS

A. Data Accuracy and Quality

1. Reporting of Collection Data

a.  The CRAs shall continue to require Collection Furnishers to furnish the name of the Original Creditor and the Creditor Classification Code associated with each account or item reported. The CRAs shall revise training materials and adopt policies and procedures to notify and instruct Collection Furnishers that the name of the Original Creditor and the Creditor Classification Codes are mandatory reporting requirements, and the CRAs shall reject data that is not provided with this information.

b. The CRAs shall implement a process designed to identify Collection Furnishers who misreport or misuse the Creditor Classification Codes on a recurring basis, such as, for example, by using a default value. The CRAs shall take corrective action against Collection Furnishers identified pursuant to this provision, including, but not limited to, working with a Collection Furnisher to remediate the problem, suppressing certain of the Collection Furnisher’s data, and refusing to accept certain information from the Collection Furnisher.

c. The CRAs shall prohibit Collection Furnishers from reporting debt that did not arise from any contract or agreement to pay (including, but not limited to, certain fines, tickets, and other assessments).

d. The CRAs shall implement a process designed to remove from the CRAs’ respective credit reporting databases any existing data reported by Collection Furnishers relating to the collection of debt that did not arise from a contract or agreement to pay. Such efforts shall include, but are not limited to, sharing best practices for key words and screening procedures designed to identify debt that did not arise from any contract or agreement to pay.

e. The CRAs shall require Collection Furnishers to regularly reconcile data relating to accounts in collection that have not been paid in full. This regular reconciliation will be accomplished, in part, by periodic removal or suppression of all collection accounts that have not been updated by the Collection Furnisher within the last six months.

In addition, the CRAs shall revise training materials and instruct new and existing Collection Furnishers on accurately reporting and deleting accounts that are sold, transferred, or no longer managed by the reporting entity.

#15 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 22,897 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

bumping for the weekend crowd  :grin:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.