- Here's the situation with my credit. Long story, and it's pretty wild so hang on. When I was deployed to Iraq back in 07 I came home for my 2 weeks of leave. My mama had all my mail. I opened it, and there where at least 3 bills that did not belong to me. Called the companies and found out that someone in DC was using my social. I did a police report, they assigned a detective, and did fraud affidavits and even got a lawyer that did nothing for 2grand. I kept an eye on my reports and stuff kept popping up. When I came home from Fallujah, I went to the SSA to see if they could issue a new # since mine had been compromised. They said no they didn't do that for ID theft. A few months later, I got married and went to change my name. The looked at my SScard birth certificate and their computer and said "this isn't you" WHAT!!!! I told the her I was a victim of ID theft. She looked into the archives and the # was mine. In 1991 it was re-issued to a girl born same month year, same first and last name, dads name the same. They actually went in 1991and changed the birth cert info to hers. What salamander changes the place of birth, I have no clue......
June-09 I got out of the Corps. Super pregnant and stressed out with everything. My husband was deployed, the tedious process of getting out, and the move back to Moultrie. After I had my son, I went to the SSA and a wonderful lady there started the investigation. WOW. after 2 years, finally an investigation. it took until Jan this year for them to find this girl b/c she only kept an address long enough to run up bills and leave. Now, Jan 2011, they gave her a new # and stuff is still popping up from before she got the new #.
I gave creditors the letter from the SSA stating that I am me and that the social was issued to 2 people. They want me to file an ID theft affidavit and police report. They won't take anything off until I do. thing is, I can't do that without lying, because it was MISTAKEN identity and she was actually issued thesame#
A little more history behind this. When I was about in Kidnergarden, mama had to prove to the IRS that I was her child because someone else was claiming me. Several other times until I graduated high school she had to do this.
Now this other ladyis still opening new accounts in my name with my social. My credit should be outstanding right now. Instead, its so low you would think I was drowning. She has a new # now and I will be pressing charges.
What I don't know how to do is fix this. I have had freezes and my statement on the report since this began. It hasn't worked at all. Somehow this other person is still able to open up accounts regardless of the freeze. I have fought with creditors and disputed items on my credit report. As soon as I get 2 things erased 4 more pop up. I feel like I am fighting a losing battle and I am just tired. This has tested my will to the max.
Does anyone know who I can contact or how to fix this?
Welcome to CreditBoards!
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
SSA assigned my SSN to 2 people
Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:24 PM
Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:37 PM
This is just my opinion, and what I would do since I've had similar experience with lawyers not doing the work on similar issues. In a perfect world, you would pay the lawyer and he/she would help you do what it takes to fix it.
My guess, is that the creditors do not have any protocol for this kind of situation, so the easiest thing for them to do, is get the documents they do have protocol for.
Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:14 PM
Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:51 PM
Keep all your paperwork, get proof of delivery for the letters. Very important. Then, if you don't get your life back, sue them all.
Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:13 PM
Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:04 AM
Thanks for your advice. I just got more hard inquiries that I am not responsible for, so I will be pressing charges and going through the channels you mentioned for trying to get all previous accounts erased.
I've heard that SSA does sometimes issue duplicate numbers but never actually heard of an instance. Try to file an accurate police report stating the facts, attach the SSA letter, etc.
Thank you so much for your service and the many sacrifices you and your husband have made for our country. If you're still in the military, I believe there are some assistance programs yopu may be able to leverage. You might want to take your file to the JAG officer assigned to your unit, or your base.
Finally, I would write this up with supporting documents and write to your congressman and your two senators. Find out which committees of Congress oversee SSA, write to the respective chairman of the Senate and House committee. The has to be a procedure to fix this, that the drones in the offices / call centers won't use.
Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:28 AM
I'd file the police reports and note that copy of letter from SSA is being provided which explains situation more entirely. It covers your end from filing a 'false' report, and also gives collectors what they need. If need be, ask if you can include a copy of the CA requesting the report to be attatched to file as REASON for your filing the report.
0 user(s) are browsing this forum
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users