Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

12 minute 5 second mile

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Auto_Body_Chick

Auto_Body_Chick
  • Members
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

SO and the kids were sitting in the grass waiting for me to finish. They beat me there by more than a minute. DD was riding her bike and SO was pushing a stroller.

:)

How long will it take to get better? I wanted to D-I-E.

#2 Marilie

Marilie
  • Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

Take your time, you will work up to it. I'm just now at the point of a 10 minute mile, but I'm going to run 2 5K's in October so we shall see. You won't come out blazin' if you haven't been running. You will get there. One day you will look back and see how far you've come. :)

#3 iH8cra

iH8cra

Owner, Y chromosome

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

12 minute mile is 5.0 mph. That's perfectly acceptable!

"How long will it take for me to get better?"

It depends on many things. How is your diet? If you're overweight, are you losing weight? I've found that I've gotten quicker and have more endurance as I've lost bodyfat.

What is your level of fitness now? Can you run/jog 30 minutes without a walk break now? If not, I'd say slow down (yes I said run slower) and extend your run. To get faster, you must first get slower. You need a base of cardiovascular fitness and 30 minutes nonstop is a minimum base for serious training.

How are you training? If you just go out and run a mile 2 or 3 times a week, your times will come down slowly. That's what I did at first and although I got results, it took months and months and months. A better way is to start a serious training plan. This mean intervals/fartleks, tempo runs, LSD runs. A good 5k training plan will net excellent results in your mile times.

I hope that helps a bit. Oh, and buy some running shoes at a running store (Academy does not count.) A real running store, where all they do is sell running clothes, shoes, etc. A running store will have you jog on a treadmill and analyze your gait. They can recommend a good shoe for you. Expect to pay $80 to $140 depending on how much shoe you need.

#4 Marilie

Marilie
  • Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

12 minute mile is 5.0 mph. That's perfectly acceptable!

"How long will it take for me to get better?"

It depends on many things. How is your diet? If you're overweight, are you losing weight? I've found that I've gotten quicker and have more endurance as I've lost bodyfat.

What is your level of fitness now? Can you run/jog 30 minutes without a walk break now? If not, I'd say slow down (yes I said run slower) and extend your run. To get faster, you must first get slower. You need a base of cardiovascular fitness and 30 minutes nonstop is a minimum base for serious training.

How are you training? If you just go out and run a mile 2 or 3 times a week, your times will come down slowly. That's what I did at first and although I got results, it took months and months and months. A better way is to start a serious training plan. This mean intervals/fartleks, tempo runs, LSD runs. A good 5k training plan will net excellent results in your mile times.

I hope that helps a bit. Oh, and buy some running shoes at a running store (Academy does not count.) A real running store, where all they do is sell running clothes, shoes, etc. A running store will have you jog on a treadmill and analyze your gait. They can recommend a good shoe for you. Expect to pay $80 to $140 depending on how much shoe you need.

Great advice here. I don't have an official 5K training program, but I did get off the treadmill and start running outside, and I can already tell a difference.

I just got a new pair of Mizuno's from Run For Your Life, for $109. I loved my last pair, so I just went with what I knew again.

#5 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,399 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:34 AM

I just got a new pair of Mizuno's from Run For Your Life, for $109. I loved my last pair, so I just went with what I knew again.

For distances of a mile or more, I prefer Goodyear. 4 of them mounted on the truck I'll be driving. :(

#6 Marilie

Marilie
  • Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:06 AM

For distances of a mile or more, I prefer Goodyear. 4 of them mounted on the truck I'll be driving. :P

:lol:

#7 Nostromo

Nostromo
  • Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:21 AM

You should be proud of yourself for having the motivation to exercise, in the first place.

Keep up the good work. Eventually it will get much easier, and your time will probably improve. When I first started, I could barely run 5 minutes w/o being out of breath. Now I can do ten miles non stop.

Good luck! :good:

#8 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:35 AM

Great advice here. I don't have an official 5K training program, but I did get off the treadmill and start running outside, and I can already tell a difference.

been running the stairs yet? :good:

#9 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:58 AM

Don't focus on the start-to-finish element...break it up into chunks (ie. if running around a football field, then perhaps endzone to endzone). It helps to focus on the small stretches rather than the 'day-ummm...still 3 1/2 laps to go.'

#10 Galoma

Galoma
  • Bloggers
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

Word on the running store, and hella good shoes. I have a pair of Brooks that I :good:

#11 jolla

jolla
  • Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

A lot of people like Couch-to-5k: http://www.coolrunni...2/2_3/181.shtml

#12 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

A lot of people like Couch-to-5k: http://www.coolrunni...2/2_3/181.shtml

I recommend that to A LOT of people.

It feels like you're doing nothing at first, but keep with the program and you'll be pleased with the results.

#13 squirrelgirl

squirrelgirl

CB Queen of Understatement

• Members
  • 22,296 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:16 AM

Being able to run a mile is a great thing. I remember I called about 20 people the first time I ran one without stopping.

#14 Marilie

Marilie
  • Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:25 AM

been running the stairs yet? :stop:

Yeah...no. :)

But I do run on the greenway now. That's enough of a challenge for me, woman! You just want me to start a thread entitled, "I tripped and broke my nose on the stairs Jen told me to run."

:stop:

#15 Auto_Body_Chick

Auto_Body_Chick
  • Members
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

The back of my left leg hurts now. Behind my knee. I hurt it during exercise about 8 months ago. I let it rest for the last 2 months and it felt fine so I thought it would be okay to run. Now today it hurts again.

Orthopedic Dr. thought it was torn cartilidge when I saw him 2 months ago. Argh! I wore running shoes last night. Brand new Nike's.

Maybe a brace? Running experts, what is a girl to do now?

#16 vintagespeed

vintagespeed
  • Members
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

i run the 1/4 mile in about 10.5 sec @ 120mph. :)

#17 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

The back of my left leg hurts now. Behind my knee. I hurt it during exercise about 8 months ago. I let it rest for the last 2 months and it felt fine so I thought it would be okay to run. Now today it hurts again.

Orthopedic Dr. thought it was torn cartilidge when I saw him 2 months ago. Argh! I wore running shoes last night. Brand new Nike's.

ask a chiropractor :lol:_

#18 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 76,609 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

12.05 is great. remember age adjustment is needed.

#19 Marilie

Marilie
  • Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:08 PM

I would err on the side of caution, and get the knee checked out. Also, you still may need different shoes. I would get the gait analysis at the running store. I can't wear Nike when I run. My feet pronate and they don't have a shoe that deals with that issue (at least not at the store I was going to). I also have flat feet. WHen I started back working out last year, my knees and ankles were hurting because my sneakers were all wrong. The right shoe has made a world of difference. :huh:

#20 NeverQuietHere

NeverQuietHere
  • Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

That's a great time, esp if you haven't run for a while. I ran a 15 minute mile a few weeks ago, but some of that was walking. I haven't run for 15 years. I am also overweight. :)

I need to get some good running shoes. I have Nike's but I think I'm getting one of those bunyon thingies on my right foot near my pinky toe and bone. It's kinda painful.

I've been advised to get Asics. I am going to look into those next week.

I'm also doing the couch to 5k program....I've changed my eating habits and am trying to lose weight. Lost 14lbs on WW in 6 wks. Of course, I've kinda stayed the same for a while now because I haven't been counting points. BUT I started doing it again today. :)

I hope your knee isn't anything too bad, get it looked at again, soon.

#21 Curious

Curious
  • Members
  • 11,333 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:38 PM

You're doing great in running a mile. I just go to the point this week where I could walk a mile without stopping, it took me 20 minutes. Congratulation to you!

#22 Auto_Body_Chick

Auto_Body_Chick
  • Members
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:38 AM

Okay, I went to a professional running store and got some shoes. I LOVE them. They're Brooks.
No knee pain at all - EVER.

The running store had a couch to 5K program starting this month so I signed up.

While I was waiting for the program to start I tried a couch to 5K application on the iphone and just did it a few times a week at home with my SO. He was much better than me. Left me way behind all the time.

Last night was our third program meeting; we ran Indian, which means we're in a line and the last person runs to the front and then the next last person comes up front and on and on, for 2.7 miles! I ran the whole freakin' time. I am so excited!!!!! I was in the slower group, (SO was in the faster group) but STILL! Go, ME!!!!

Thanks for the advice on the shoes. They've made all the difference.

#23 Galoma

Galoma
  • Bloggers
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:55 AM

Word on the Brooks... would never, ever use anything else. :)

Awesome on your progress. Keep it up! :blink:

#24 Marilie

Marilie
  • Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

Okay, I went to a professional running store and got some shoes. I LOVE them. They're Brooks.

While I was waiting for the program to start I tried a couch to 5K application on the iphone and just did it a few times a week at home with my SO. He was much better than me. Left me way behind all the time.

Last night was our third program meeting; we ran Indian, which means we're in a line and the last person runs to the front and then the next last person comes up front and on and on, for 2.7 miles! I ran the whole freakin' time. I am so excited!!!!! I was in the slower group, (SO was in the faster group) but STILL! Go, ME!!!!

Congrats!!!

My first pair of sneaks from Run For Your Life was a pair of Brooks. :lol:

#25 belleama

belleama

Pretty Little

• Members
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:00 AM

Congrats! :yahoo: I am so happy for you! :D :)

I think I'm going to the running store tomorrow. Need some new socks to go with the shoes I ordered online yesterday. Yes, I know I'm a freak. I don't care. :beee: New shoes means new socks!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.