Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Best Credit Card for people with NO Credit

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Knight

Knight
  • Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:47 PM

Hello,

It's good to be back after a long hiatus. Boy I've been going through threads and discussions for 6 hours now and I can't put my finger on the correct answer.

I am trying to help someone new in the country build their credit from scratch. They had applied for a Cap1 platinum to no avail. I know store cards are a good start but which one. Some of the info I read seems outdated. Can you guys help?

Also they need a Credit card because they travel a lot and need to rent a vehicle from time to time.

Finally, I am glad this topic brought me back here because I needed to brush up on my credit knowledge.

Thank you all.

#2 Tyra

Tyra
  • Members
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:11 PM

I'd start with a secured card.  

#3 csilva110814

csilva110814
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

Bank of America
Capital one
Discover it
All 3 offer secured credit cards

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

#4 JoeCleveland

JoeCleveland
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

Capital One QS One would probably get them started at a $300 CL and with their credit steps you can get that CL up in less than year......     Unsecured

#5 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 13,068 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

The surefire way is for you to add them as an AU on a couple cards. They'll eventually have a score and can move forward from there.

Otherwise I'd have them walk in to a local credit union that offers a secured card and start a relationship.

#6 ronsetoe

ronsetoe
  • Members
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

The surefire way is for you to add them as an AU on a couple cards. They'll eventually have a score and can move forward from there.

Otherwise I'd have them walk in to a local credit union that offers a secured card and start a relationship.

Yup!

You can even shred the cards so they can't be used, they just show up on their credit report.

I piggyback friends and family every now and then.

It is best if they have their own primary, so a secured is also a good idea.

Open Sky will give a secured without a HP. good luck

#7 TheSorceressKnight

TheSorceressKnight
  • Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

My very first credit card was Cap1 Journey. Unsecured, 1.25% cash bash, steps program. Pretty decent.

#8 Knight

Knight
  • Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

Thank you folks.

Do you recommend them to open any store cards? JC Penney, etc...

#9 ronsetoe

ronsetoe
  • Members
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

this..again

#10 Knight

Knight
  • Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:52 PM

BTW is OpenSky upgradable to unsecured cc like the Cap1 QS?

#11 ronsetoe

ronsetoe
  • Members
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

No. With the AU cards and 1 primary, after a few months, they can get most anything. Been there done it many many times.

Just make sure you add them to an older line with a decent limit and low utilization. good luck

#12 Kat58

Kat58

CB Detective

• Members
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

No. With the AU cards and 1 primary, after a few months, they can get most anything. Been there done it many many times.

Just make sure you add them to an older line with a decent limit and low utilization. good luck

If you can't do the AU thing, Discovers' secured card is by far the best choice (as far as secured cards).

#13 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 79,794 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

just don't get a subprime card like discovery.

#14 Zosimus

Zosimus
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

Well, the fastest way to get real credit is to have someone add him/her as an authorized user on a credit card. That should get the person at least a 650 FICO immediately. If this person is your friend, help him/her out or find someone on the forum willing to do so. Alternatively, there are websites that sell tradelines, but expect to Shell out at least 400 bucks.

A secured credit card will get your friend credit in about six months' time. If your friend just needs a card to pay with, a debit card can do anything a credit card can, and there's no fee involved.

#15 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 79,794 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

Well, the fastest way to get real credit is to have someone add him/her as an authorized user on a credit card. That should get the person at least a 650 FICO immediately. If this person is your friend, help him/her out or find someone on the forum willing to do so. Alternatively, there are websites that sell tradelines, but expect to Shell out at least 400 bucks.

A secured credit card will get your friend credit in about six months' time. If your friend just needs a card to pay with, a debit card can do anything a credit card can, and there's no fee involved.

any suggestions?

#16 breeze

breeze

Site Owners

• Admin
  • 53,434 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

We officially oppose the purchase of tradelines, but having a family member add an AU is the best way to help someone get started. Only get store cards if you shop at that store and get a discount for using the card, and never carry balances on store cards - it more than takes away any advantage you get from the discount for using the card. 

Heg! 

#17 mendelssohn

mendelssohn

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper VI

• Members
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

Do NOT buy tradelines. Most companies are scams, and there is no guarantee that they will report.

#18 Zosimus

Zosimus
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:51 PM

Capital One or Discover It secured. No annual fees

#19 dvd

dvd
  • Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:53 PM

No

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.