Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• We're done with the posts turning political, guys.  
  • Starting immediately, any post that turns political will be immediately closed and the poster who interjected politics will be warned.  
  • ​It is our interpretation that deems it political.  We will not entertain discussion about your intentions.  
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo
- - - - -

Off-topic for holiday contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,691 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

discuss

#2 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:42 AM

I can't believe that there are no stories yet! Someone needs to post something or else I'm gonna post one of my gems and take that WS certificate for myself. MWAHAHAHAHHAHA

Don't think I don't have some good stories too. The local Fire Department is usually on standby when they know I'm cooking...

:angry:

#3 Cushie

Cushie
  • Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

I've got a good one but I can't figure out how to add pictures because it happened way many years ago. However, I'll figure something out.

#4 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:58 AM

I've got a good one but I can't figure out how to add pictures because it happened way many years ago. However, I'll figure something out.

ya don't HAVE to add pictures. They are just a bonus if you happen to have some. :dntknw:

#5 Cushie

Cushie
  • Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:16 AM

ya don't HAVE to add pictures. They are just a bonus if you happen to have some. :lol:

I think I've figured out a way to get photos. In fact, I think I now have something to prove thanks to this contest. :blink:

By the way, remember my Le Crueset that I bought for cheap? Okay, two things. One they have a complete cooking set for around $150 - it's like four or five pieces. I have to walk in a wide circle around that aisle. Second, when my in-laws were out my FIL wanted to make pork loin. I gave him that dish to use and then headed out to do something. When I came back he was apologetic. He had placed it on the burners of the stove and it exploded into millions of pieces. I hadn't even used it yet. I was heartbroken. And all for a pork loin that he doused in italian dressing, his go to seasoning of choice. :rofl:

#6 squirrelgirl

squirrelgirl

CB Queen of Understatement

• Members
  • 22,296 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:11 PM

I personally don't cook... but my X about 5 years back decided to boil a turkey for T-day (we had some the previous year at his aunt's and it was delicious). He called her for the recipe and she told him to put oranges and brown sugar in the water and to let it boil/simmer for x amount of time. It smelled delicious... finally, time to eat. OMG, it was the most foul thing I have tasted. Ever. It was soooo insanely sweet that even RE-boiling it in plain water didn't help. Salsa, habaneros, sour cream. NOTHING worked. I tried. We threw out the whole thing.

It was beyond revolting.

:yahoo:

#7 squirrelgirl

squirrelgirl

CB Queen of Understatement

• Members
  • 22,296 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

I am lmao off. I entered a story. but it was X, not me, so I won't be entered. Not that I cook anyway. OMG, I'm rolling just remembering.

I wanna know what the trouble was with the pudding.

#8 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

OMG! I'm :rofl: :rofl: at the two stories so far! :lol:

#9 cotterpin

cotterpin

No Title Necessary

• Former Mods and Forum Leads
  • 4,987 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:09 PM

Ahahaha, love both stories.

Since I'm ineligible, I will share here, plus it wasn't a holiday just a meal.

Back when I was younger, maybe 20?, I decided I was going to cook my first roasted chicken. I called mom, got the recipe to make the stuffing, defrosted the bird all that good stuff.

Take the chicken out of the wrapper, rinsed it, seasoned it and proceed to stuff it. It didn't take nearly as much stuffing as I thought it would, so I threw the rest in a baking dish.

Threw the chicken in the oven all proud and such, my ex was even impressed.

Short while later we noticed the smell of plastic, but we lived in an apartment building and there had been a kitchen fire in one of the apartments a few weeks earlier so occasionally weird smells would waft into our place.

Got all the fixins ready, made up the table, took out the roasted chicken and started to prep to serve.

I went to scoop out the stuffing and out came this big blob.

Since I had NEVER cooked a whole chicken before I was blissfully unaware of the plastic bag inside that contained the neck and giblets. B)

Needless to say we had no chicken for dinner that night.

The fixins were great though. :lol:

#10 Jeffmo32

Jeffmo32
  • Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

Ahahaha, love both stories.

Since I'm ineligible, I will share here, plus it wasn't a holiday just a meal.

Back when I was younger, maybe 20?, I decided I was going to cook my first roasted chicken. I called mom, got the recipe to make the stuffing, defrosted the bird all that good stuff.

Take the chicken out of the wrapper, rinsed it, seasoned it and proceed to stuff it. It didn't take nearly as much stuffing as I thought it would, so I threw the rest in a baking dish.

Threw the chicken in the oven all proud and such, my ex was even impressed.

Short while later we noticed the smell of plastic, but we lived in an apartment building and there had been a kitchen fire in one of the apartments a few weeks earlier so occasionally weird smells would waft into our place.

Got all the fixins ready, made up the table, took out the roasted chicken and started to prep to serve.

I went to scoop out the stuffing and out came this big blob.

Since I had NEVER cooked a whole chicken before I was blissfully unaware of the plastic bag inside that contained the neck and giblets. B)

Needless to say we had no chicken for dinner that night.

The fixins were great though. :lol:

Same thing happened to my wife. Except it was a Turkey and it was Thanksgiving, our first at home together.

She called her mom, who's since passed, and was so proud, her mom was like "you did take the two bags out of the Turkey before you put it into the oven.....right ?"

We still laugh to this day about it.

#11 Creditchick

Creditchick
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:47 AM

My story. . .

All I can say is never have a teething crying 10 month old pulling on your leg while trying to make gravy and a glaze for your bundt cake and ask the father of your child to pass you the corn starch and he passes you the confectionary (sp?) sugar which you proceed to dump into the gravy fixin's. . . that's all I'm sayin!

Edited by Creditchick, 11 December 2008 - 10:16 AM.

#12 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

My story. . .

All I can say is never have a teething crying 10 month old pulling on your leg while trying to make gravy and a glaze for your bundt cake and ask the father of your child to pass you the corn starch and he passes you the confectionary (sp?) sugar which you proceed to dump into the gravy fixin's. . . that's all I'm sayin!

:rofl:

You need to post this in the contest section!

#13 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

Savemanatees... :P :mellow: :D

#14 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

Savemanatees... :cry2: :D :rofl:

I've got to go and read the new stories. :lol:

#15 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:33 AM

Savemanatees... :cry2: :D :rofl:

Oh My God... I'm two paragraphs in on this one and we've already got fire and liquor...I think I can see where this is going... :lol: Ok...back to reading

#16 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,691 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

Savemanatees... :wave: :lol: :D

+10000000000000000000000000

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#17 orangecrush

orangecrush

Goddess of the Jacksonville Tourism Bureau

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

Savemanatees... :rolleyes: :) :rofl:

+10000000000000000000000000

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I told Thor about that post and he died. I'll bet no one let's her near matches or booze now. :rofl: :rofl:

#18 savemanatees

savemanatees
  • Members
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:58 PM

Thanks guys.....someone Pm'ed me stating the elements: fire,alcohol, celebrity and front page news was going to be hard to beat.

My reply was it was sorta' the cooking version of sex, drugs and rock and roll!

My best friend read the post and told me she almost wet her pants......and she was THERE when it happened at Thanksgiving in 1991!

The story has taken on a life of its own.....and it always comes up every year at BOTH Thanksgiving & Christmas.

BTW The Jeff Goldblum movie was one of the worst I've ever watched "Father and Sons." But I have the tape as all my kids and step kids were 'extras.' Rosanna Arquette was in it as well. The crew babysat her as she had an infamous drug habit at the time.

So you can see what a unending source of family lore this has become!

Enjoy!

sm

#19 savemanatees

savemanatees
  • Members
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

BTW, Monday the 15th is my birthday!

sm

PS I want to someone to buy me the Car Czar job!

#20 baby duck

baby duck
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

B) :rofl: I'm voting for smanatees, too.

#21 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

When does the voting start?

#22 Frank13

Frank13
  • Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:19 AM

Ok ... how and where do I vote???

#23 Pam

Pam

Site Owner

• Admin
  • 12,691 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

Sorry, guys - setting it up now. I've been sick and not online much..

#24 hlburi

hlburi

Colonel Mustard

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

Sorry, guys - setting it up now. I've been sick and not online much..

so THAT'S where you've been! :ph34r:

Get better Pam!!

#25 punkinbee59

punkinbee59
  • Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:48 PM

did someone turn off the voting...are we done with voting...?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.