Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

From 400s to 800s. From $0 to over $300k.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#51 breeze

breeze

Site Owners

• Admin
  • 53,368 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

congrats on the hard work and great outcomes.

Started my rebuild in October 2016 after 15 years of being told cancer would kill me in six months.. finally stopped listening to the doctors and just plan on living. From Oct 2016 to today Aug 18 2017, I have gone from no open credit lines to 51K including the 6K Discover It card I got today.  I don't expect to get to $300K but if I hit $100K in under 2 years total I will be more than happy.

Congrats again

Welcome. Fighters fit right in here. ;)

#52 Kat58

Kat58

CB Detective

• Members
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

Started my rebuild in October 2016 after 15 years of being told cancer would kill me in six months.. finally stopped listening to the doctors and just plan on living. From Oct 2016 to today Aug 18 2017, I have gone from no open credit lines to 51K including the 6K Discover It card I got today.  I don't expect to get to $300K but if I hit $100K in under 2 years total I will be more than happy.

Congrats again

Welcome to CB!   :wave:

Congratulations on the Discover approval... nice starting line!

#53 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:53 AM

Congrats again

Thanks Breeze... and a fight it always seems to be :sorry:

#54 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

Congrats again

Welcome to CB!   :wave:

Congratulations on the Discover approval... nice starting line!

Thanks, a couple funny things about the Discover approval.

First is i got an Invitation to Apply in a heavy, waxy envelope with a set APR (14%). This is the first Invitation I have gotten from them so I was wary about using another HP on it as I had applied months before and was denied.

The second interesting thing is that the Invitation was also in my Find Which Card results, so I thought that was a good sign.

The third thing, is that since Discover seems to like thin files and students I checked the box that said Grad Student and filled in which university I am at and it also asked me how much I have in personal assets like CD's etc.

When I hit submit it came back in about 10 seconds and said I needed to call a number, which i took as a really good sign or a really bad sign, I was not sure,

Got a guy in Provo Utah on the phone, nice and cheerful man, who said they wanted to verify information, which was okay. The invite said I could BT but the web form did not allow it, so I aksed about that, and he took down two accounts to BT but told me a number I could call in 8 days to cancel the BT's if I wanted too, so cool. I was adding them in hopes it might bump me across any credit line that I might reach on what they would offer me.

He ran the app and it came back that on the Student card they would only give me 1K and with the BT's that line would be eaten up at 95% of the CL which would have been a bad thing. Then he asked if I would like to see what it would be if I applied as NOT A STUDENT and bingo 6k intial CL.

During this process I got a HP on TU then overnight EQ posted an HP. Funny enough my FICO EQ from myFico is 25 points lower than my TU, but my EQ Fico from EQ is 35 points higher than the myFico score.

now I have to find out the CLI policy on Discover cards. I have to wait until the card arrives to set up the web account, by then I will figure out if I can hit the love button right away, who knows I might squeak out another 1 or 2k on this new CL.

#55 breeze

breeze

Site Owners

• Admin
  • 53,368 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

There's a whole thread here on Discover CLIs. :)

#56 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

Breeze, thanks for the reply. I am trying to read through it, but have hit another patch of rambling crap spewing. Will keep reading but I cannot spend another day digging through feces for a possible bit of gold. If I wanted that I would be over on some of the MF threads.

thanks again

#57 breeze

breeze

Site Owners

• Admin
  • 53,368 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

Breeze, thanks for the reply. I am trying to read through it, but have hit another patch of rambling crap spewing. Will keep reading but I cannot spend another day digging through feces for a possible bit of gold. If I wanted that I would be over on some of the MF threads.

thanks again

Yes, sorry for that. I think we've taken care of the issue. I'll see if I can clean that thread up some. Thanks for pointing it out from another POV.

#58 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

thanks again

Yes, sorry for that. I think we've taken care of the issue. I'll see if I can clean that thread up some. Thanks for pointing it out from another POV.

Breeze, I did not realize you were a site owner when I said that, but I am glad it might spur some clean up. The reason i stopped visiting the MF forums is that even some of the moderators are party to the flame wars that erupt and if you complain about it they threaten to silence you.

Since I have you in this conversation, does this forums software allow building a table of datapoints that is editable by others, similar to the credit pulls database but without all the functionallity?

something like card name, issue date, first known cli date, first attempt date, cl, approved/disapproved, amount, next availble cli date , fiko/fako score, total utilization, card utilization, spend, notes

If not something so 'formal' is it possible to create an insertable table format so each poster can be prompted for the same set of data points?

With a more structured set of data points graphing and spotting trends would be easier and the timings for each card type much clearer.

Thanks

Mike

#59 breeze

breeze

Site Owners

• Admin
  • 53,368 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

Pam is the one to answer software questions, if you want accurate answers, but to my knowledge, no, we don't have that capability. The CP DB was a one time thing, it's integrated with our member database so we had some control over who entered information. When you just put up a DB on the internet, you get everything from people who dislike us (collectors?) entering fake data to "entrepreneurs" who steal it to build a competing website. However, you'll see some XL spread sheets members have designed as you read through some of the topics.

Scroll all the way down on the index page, and you'll see a feedback forum where you can make suggestions, ask questions, and get answers.

#60 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

Pam is the one to answer software questions, if you want accurate answers, but to my knowledge, no, we don't have that capability. The CP DB was a one time thing, it's integrated with our member database so we had some control over who entered information. When you just put up a DB on the internet, you get everything from people who dislike us (collectors?) entering fake data to "entrepreneurs" who steal it to build a competing website. However, you'll see some XL spread sheets members have designed as you read through some of the topics.

Scroll all the way down on the index page, and you'll see a feedback forum where you can make suggestions, ask questions, and get answers.

thanks I will do that.

#61 KingBrumley

KingBrumley
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

Congratulations testimonies like this keep me driving and let me know that it is possible to come from the bottom to the top

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

#62 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

Congratulations testimonies like this keep me driving and let me know that it is possible to come from the bottom to the top

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

KingBrumely,

Yes total rehab of credit is possible, no matter the reason someone's might not be stellar. The key is to be patient, don't get itchy fingers to app a lot and for heaven sake, anytime you find a cluster of people bashing a card, look at their motivations to spew vitriol and take what they say with a grain of salt.

Those starting out or rehabing their credit have a different perspective and need than those who have completed the process and come out the other side. Your individual needs, motives and perspectives are what count, not what some person on the internet says is "wrong" for you to do.

good luck, stay the course and be patient if you make a game plan and follow it you will succeed.

Mike

#63 Zanshiro

Zanshiro

Chaos Dragon

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

That was (is?) the hardest part for me, resisting the urge to go on app sprees, knowing that I should've done more a few years back and spread it out across the time.  But, lessons learned, and slowly but surely keeping it the right direction!  You can DEFINITELY do it!

#64 mikenola

mikenola
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

That was (is?) the hardest part for me, resisting the urge to go on app sprees, knowing that I should've done morek on  a few years back and spread it out across the time.  But, lessons learned, and slowly but surely keeping it the right direction!  You can DEFINITELY do it!

Zanshiro,

Your signature shows you have done well by yourself, congrats on your discipline and hard work. your BofA climb starting in 2002 from 986 to 32K is great! as are your 2017 initial CL's with Amazon and MECU. A 95K total CL is nothing to be even mildly annoyed at yourself about. You did the right thing for you and that is wonderful and smart. This is not a speed race, it is a lifelong marathon.

The itchy fingers are a problem and I think that covers many people who follow these boards. In my case I made a conscious decision that my first target plateau was at 50K of non-subprime credit. I did get a USAA secured card at the start and funded to 5k, and I have one store card, Amazon at 5k, which I use regularly and normally PIF, though have carried over a 100 here and there. The USAA has been replaced by their Signature Visa and I got my deposits back and I don't care what anyone says an initial 6.6k line on a Discover at 14% is not subprime credit.(0 for 18 months on purchases and 0  on BT's for 14 months).

I may not have 300k in CL's and 800 scores, but those that do did not start 10 months ago from scratch.

I know my AAOA and AoA are low and hurt me, but time takes time and my optimal point comes after I finish my Doctoral Degree in late 2019. By then my current tradelines will all be at or over 25 months and I won;t be being penalized as hard for "young" credit.  In getting to 50k in CL's now I won't be competing against as high a DTI as I will once my Student Loans  start coming due, and as I am paying them down during thisome the DTI will already be lower than it might have been.

I have no plans to take on any major debt, so gardening is the way to go for me, but for others starting out their plans and needs are different than mine. Those folks may be best suited to a slow even paced ramp up of CL's on their journey from zero to hero.

One factor that amplifies the itchy fingers is coming to these boards and reading about successes and as people we want those too, so not bashing the board, it is just an unintended consequence of posting about our wins and high points.

Mike

#65 Skhan5

Skhan5
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

How did you fix your credit ? And how much was your score when you try to apply for credit card ?

#66 breeze

breeze

Site Owners

• Admin
  • 53,368 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

That was (is?) the hardest part for me, resisting the urge to go on app sprees, knowing that I should've done morek on  a few years back and spread it out across the time.  But, lessons learned, and slowly but surely keeping it the right direction!  You can DEFINITELY do it!

Zanshiro,

Your signature shows you have done well by yourself, congrats on your discipline and hard work. your BofA climb starting in 2002 from 986 to 32K is great! as are your 2017 initial CL's with Amazon and MECU. A 95K total CL is nothing to be even mildly annoyed at yourself about. You did the right thing for you and that is wonderful and smart. This is not a speed race, it is a lifelong marathon.

The itchy fingers are a problem and I think that covers many people who follow these boards. In my case I made a conscious decision that my first target plateau was at 50K of non-subprime credit. I did get a USAA secured card at the start and funded to 5k, and I have one store card, Amazon at 5k, which I use regularly and normally PIF, though have carried over a 100 here and there. The USAA has been replaced by their Signature Visa and I got my deposits back and I don't care what anyone says an initial 6.6k line on a Discover at 14% is not subprime credit.(0 for 18 months on purchases and 0  on BT's for 14 months).

I may not have 300k in CL's and 800 scores, but those that do did not start 10 months ago from scratch.

I know my AAoA and AoA are low and hurt me, but time takes time and my optimal point comes after I finish my Doctoral Degree in late 2019. By then my current tradelines will all be at or over 25 months and I won;t be being penalized as hard for "young" credit.  In getting to 50k in CL's now I won't be competing against as high a DTI as I will once my Student Loans  start coming due, and as I am paying them down during thisome the DTI will already be lower than it might have been.

I have no plans to take on any major debt, so gardening is the way to go for me, but for others starting out their plans and needs are different than mine. Those folks may be best suited to a slow even paced ramp up of CL's on their journey from zero to hero.

One factor that amplifies the itchy fingers is coming to these boards and reading about successes and as people we want those too, so not bashing the board, it is just an unintended consequence of posting about our wins and high points.

Mike

You bash the board every chance you get, Mike. People here can think for themselves. ;)

#67 Kat58

Kat58

CB Detective

• Members
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

How did you fix your credit ? And how much was your score when you try to apply for credit card ?

Welcome to CB:)

You should start in the Newbies section on the start page and read, read, and read some more.

#68 Dave13

Dave13
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

Congrats!

#69 lheadlam

lheadlam
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

I just joined this group today.  I'm so inspired by allof the success stories, I look forward to improving my scores with all three Bureaus.  Thanks for Sharing!

#70 breeze

breeze

Site Owners

• Admin
  • 53,368 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:54 PM

Welcome!

#71 roi

roi
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

Congratulations this is great! 

I have a similar story, though I "only" got to the mid-high 700's. It feels great to put bad credit to rest.

Question: 10 million points, how did you do that?! I've done a few bonuses with various cards, but haven't even come close to that number. Advice is greatly appreciated :) 

#72 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 51,758 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

Welcome to CB.    You might want to ask your question in the main credit forum.   More people look there and answer questions.

#73 stevenmillstein

stevenmillstein
  • Newbies
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:35 PM

Well done! That's a huge achievement. 

#74 Kat58

Kat58

CB Detective

• Members
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

Well done! That's a huge achievement. 

Welcome to CB:wave:

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.