Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Certificate offer from NFCU

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 credit_help

credit_help
  • Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

I just got this offer in email from NFCU:

Earn a Bonus With Your New IRA
Time is running out to take advantage of these specials. You'll discover that a little bit goes a long a way when you start saving early.

• Open Your First IRA With Navy Federal: $50 bonus2
• Set Up Recurring Transfers on Your New IRA Certificate: $100 bonus.

Is this a good offer?

#2 mec

mec
  • Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

I took them up on it.

https://creditboards...howtopic=588419

#3 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 28,951 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

I took them up on it.

https://creditboards...howtopic=588419

What type of investments are you going to hold in this account?  What do they charge for stock/ETF/mutual fund trades?  Is there an annual fee on the IRA?  Other fees?

#4 mec

mec
  • Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:18 PM

It's just a 2% 17 month CD ($50-$50k) The phone rep told me they have an affiliate "Navy Financial" that can handle securities and fund purchases, but the credit union only offers certificates.

I expect I will stop contributing after the second portion of the bonus is credited and have the account transfered to Vanguard once the CD matures.

I don't think there is a fee but I forget to ask.

#5 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 28,951 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:23 PM

It's just a 2% 17 month CD ($50-$50k) The phone rep told me they have an affiliate "Navy Financial" that can handle securities and fund purchases, but the credit union only offers certificates.

I expect I will stop contributing after the second portion of the bonus is credited and have the account transfered to Vanguard once the CD matures.

I don't think there is a fee but I forget to ask.

I had a random IRA at WF [401(k)] rollover from an old job] and they started charging an AF of $45 or $50.  That was my prompt to roll it into my current 401(k).  

I hope you're fee-free on this.  

#6 mec

mec
  • Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

What is Wells Fargo giving you that keeps you banking there?

#7 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 28,951 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:44 PM

What is Wells Fargo giving you that keeps you banking there?

I have a free checking account that I keep because they have branches everywhere in Southern California.

TD also has a PMA relationship that he wants to keep because it's grandfathered with a bazilion free monthly brokerage trades that he never uses.  :P

Together we also have a joint credit card account that we keep open for age.  TD opened it when he came to the US in 2002, and I was added years later when I was building my credit...

#8 mec

mec
  • Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

I took them up on the $250 checking account bonus recently, partly because I have a 0% installment card that is down to $1,540 and I can use the checking account as a vehicle to pay that off, and partly because I hope to establish a relationship so I can get in on their 5x card for a few grand someday...

But not much about WF has ever made me feel happy.

They have no branches or ATMs anywhere around western PA, so that's a negative for me but it's not a deal breaker.

When I look at the way Wells does business compared with BofA (who also has no local presence here) I want to do more business with BofA but not with Wells.

I can see how unlimited free trades would be something you'd want to keep though. That's pretty crafty on Wells' part.

PS sorry about the hijack OP

Edited by mec, 22 April 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#9 credit_help

credit_help
  • Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:29 AM

I took them up on the $250 checking account bonus recently, partly because I have a 0% installment card that is down to $1,540 and I can use the checking account as a vehicle to pay that off, and partly because I hope to establish a relationship so I can get in on their 5x card for a few grand someday...

But not much about WF has ever made me feel happy.

They have no branches or ATMs anywhere around western PA, so that's a negative for me but it's not a deal breaker.

When I look at the way Wells does business compared with BofA (who also has no local presence here) I want to do more business with BofA but not with Wells.

I can see how unlimited free trades would be something you'd want to keep though. That's pretty crafty on Wells' part.

PS sorry about the hijack OP

No problem mec. Doesn't WF have a feature to use external accounts to pay cards/loans?
I don't see cards of decent stature from WF. There are a couple of branches here.

#10 mec

mec
  • Members
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

I'm sure they do. I used to push payments to them from my PNC account and never had a problem. But I figured I could add ease of paying the Wells card from the Wells checking account to the list of reasons to take their $250.

I think I will keep the account on the back burner for a while until I have another use for it, but as I see it they offer nothing you can't get elsewhere except for the 5% / 6 month card.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.