Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Something for the Live and Learn

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IndyPoolPlayer

IndyPoolPlayer
  • Members
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

Not really related to student loans but bear with me I will get to that...

At a family function yesterday, S-I-L was talking about her daughter and soon to be son-in-law. Talking about their upcoming nuptials and of course what they are going to do afterward for money, home, etc.

This couple has been an item since grade school. I kid you not. I think 6th and 7th grade is when they met. No breaks to see other people or anything like that. So when it came time for high school graduation and both were good athletes. She got a full ride athletic volleyball scholarship to a Missouri Valley Conference school. He got a full ride athletic baseball scholarship to a school in Florida. They couldn't bear the thought of being apart, so they both turned down their scholarships and enrolled together at the local university campus. She graduated with a bachelors degree in do you want fries with that (Psychology) and he is about to be dismissed for academic performance after his 3rd year.

So when SIL was asking her daughter how they planned to make ends meet and address the student loans they took out to pay for nothing to show for it education, the daughter replied they can either work for the government or just work for minimum wage for 10 years and pay nothing for their student loans and they will be forgiven. "This is how everyone does student loans now" is what she said.

*Bangs head against wall*

#2 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 77,005 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

send them this story... https://creditboards...howtopic=590761

#3 Kat58

Kat58

CB Detective

• Members
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

So when SIL was asking her daughter how they planned to make ends meet and address the student loans they took out to pay for nothing to show for it education, the daughter replied they can either work for the government or just work for minimum wage for 10 years and pay nothing for their student loans and they will be forgiven. "This is how everyone does student loans now" is what she said.

Is this correct?

(following)

#4 IndyPoolPlayer

IndyPoolPlayer
  • Members
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

I know there are some jobs in Indiana state government that are advertised as "Qualifies as Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness", and I would presume there are some Fed jobs in that same category. The latter statement I presume is referring to IBR. From my reading on here (Lynn and Hodap please correct me if I'm wrong) is IBR is for those on disability or somehow "unable to work" - working for low wages on purpose just to avoid student loans doesn't cut it.

My (and SIL's) moral to this story is if someone is offered a full ride scholarship somewhere for college education - TAKE IT!!! It's the biggest gift in a lifetime a young adult will EVER receive. So what if they will be apart for a few years. There's Skype, Facetime, etc. 

#5 tiggerlgh

tiggerlgh
  • Members
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

IBR I believe is for anyone that qualifies but if they go that route to keep their payments down for 10 years they can really hurt their future potential earning as they started off so slow.  I you stay in entry level jobs that is where you most likely remain.

Agree 1000% always take the full rides.  Also sad he won't even have a  degree at the end but have a ton of SL debt but that is all on him.  I am sure there are groups of kids that think like your niece does and there are some like my family friends who are working through college did all their basic classes at a local community college prior to transferring to the university and have a plan to pay off their few loans in the next 5-10 years.  So as always YMMV what kids are doing.

#6 mendelssohn

mendelssohn

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper VI

• Members
  • 27,280 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:53 PM

It is not SL are not forgiven after 10 years unless you work in a government job.  It takes 20-25 years of IBR payments for the balance to be forgiven without any special qualifying employment, so if that is plan B if they don't get a government job, they need to stay poor for much longer.

It's government job + 120 payments (can be IBR) OR 240-300 payments if on IBR.

Please don't tell them about the program for teachers. It sounds like they shouldn't be in the classroom.  :swoon:

#7 hodap2001

hodap2001
  • Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

Ask them how they will pay their tax bill on the "forgiven portion"?
Uncle Sam will get his money back...especially with this new Administation.

#8 IndyPoolPlayer

IndyPoolPlayer
  • Members
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

Right ... and even if someone does come along later and promise to forgive federal student loans and make college free for all ... you can picture how that will end

#9 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 21,908 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:25 PM

qualified job?

the balance is forgive only after you make 120 on time payments ( 10 years) 

and maybe not even them. 

there's currently a lawsuit in the works

https://www.washingt...m=.d9deca011fca

#10 mendelssohn

mendelssohn

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper VI

• Members
  • 27,280 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

qualified job?

the balance is forgive only after you make 120 on time payments ( 10 years) 

and maybe not even them. 

there's currently a lawsuit in the works

https://www.washingt...m=.d9deca011fca

Without qualifying employment (employment that shortens the timeframe), it is 20-25 years.

The article you posted pertains to public service loan forgiveness (qualifying employment), not just making IBR payments alone.

How long will I be in repayment under each plan?

Income-driven repayment plans have different repayment periods.

Income-Driven Repayment Plan / Repayment Period

REPAYE Plan

• 20 years if all loans you’re repaying under the plan were received for undergraduate study
  • 25 years if any loans you’re repaying under the plan were received for graduate or professional study

PAYE Plan

• 20 years

IBR Plan

• 20 years if you’re a new borrower on or after July 1, 2014
  • 25 years if you’re not a new borrower on or after July 1, 2014
ICR Plan
  • 25 years

Under all four plans, any remaining loan balance is forgiven if your federal student loans aren't fully repaid at the end of the repayment period. For any income-driven repayment plan, periods of economic hardship deferment and periods of repayment under certain other repayment plans will count toward your total repayment period. Whether you will have a balance left to be forgiven at the end of your repayment period depends on a number of factors, such as how quickly your income rises and how large your income is relative to your debt. Because of these factors, you may fully repay your loan before the end of your repayment period.

If you’re making payments under an income-driven repayment plan and also working toward loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program, you may qualify for forgiveness of any remaining loan balance after you've made 10 years of qualifying payments, instead of 20 or 25 years. Qualifying payments for the PSLF Program include payments made under any of the income-driven repayment plans.

https://studentaid.e...epayment-period

Edited by mendelssohn, 18 April 2017 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.