Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• We're done with the posts turning political, guys.  
  • Starting immediately, any post that turns political will be immediately closed and the poster who interjected politics will be warned.  
  • ​It is our interpretation that deems it political.  We will not entertain discussion about your intentions.  
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

I tried going cash-only and leaving my credit cards at home and I learned cash is not all it's cracked up to be

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kat58

Kat58

CB Detective

• Members
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:22 PM

http://www.businessi...snt-work-2018-4

#2 JOOJ

JOOJ
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:31 PM

Strange article. Author tried going cash only, but somehow never had cash on their person?

#3 Derek1

Derek1
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:35 PM

Online Purchases, Gas, Big Ticket Items, Travel and Dining out (although I don't put Starbucks or Fast Food on credit).  Beyond that, cash is what I use 90 percent of the time.  It's easier than the article makes it sound. 

Edited by Derek1, 20 April 2018 - 11:38 PM.

#4 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 19,308 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

Strange article. Author tried going cash only, but somehow never had cash on their person?

EXACTLY ^^^

It isn't that difficult to pay for things with cash when you are planning it.  And even if not, some people can still manage it...I don't use a lot of cash in day-to-day transactions but probably have a few thousand on me most days (always prepared for a poker game).  Those amounts are typically big bills, though, so that pretty much stops me from using it when I go to grab a bottle of soda on my way into the office (they COULD break it for me, but I am not going to be THAT person).  Trip to the vet...good to go if a cash discount is available (it wasn't today, so that went on an AXP product instead). 

And the whole nonsense in there about counting pennies at a counter...if they were truly trying to go cash only, then they were the most disorganized household known to exist.  This isn't high school where you are scrounging under the seat for pennies to get a half-gallon of gas (well, back in the days when you could do that for a quarter). 

#5 cashnocredit

cashnocredit

cash AND 800 credit

• Members
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, I thought that funny too.

I was cash only for years only rarely using a debit card for large purchases. One day at Fry's, the WF system was down nationwide for a few hours and my debit card was declined. Turned out I had enough cash for the purchase.

#6 Cactus Flower

Cactus Flower
  • Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

The biggest problem I've had is the clerk not having enough change in the register if you buy a $4 item with a $20...

then you stand there and wait while she/he calls their supervisor etc etc.

#7 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 19,308 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:37 AM

The biggest problem I've had is the clerk not having enough change in the register if you buy a $4 item with a $20...

Even worse is watching their head explode when you give them some extra change so that you don't get stuck with a bunch of pennies...have one place where (for example) the total is x.88 and I will give y.13 so that the loose change part is an even quarter.  They get lost because they saw the paper bill but not the complete payment...

Topping that would be going somewhere when the computers are down and they have to compute the full transaction by hand (or in their head).  Usually this will only occur when there has been a power outage and the business is still trying to operate (like a fast food joint following a major storm that knocks out power but the business wants to 'help' the community by being open). 

#8 cashnocredit

cashnocredit

cash AND 800 credit

• Members
  • 10,128 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

Even worse is watching their head explode when you give them some extra change so that you don't get stuck with a bunch of pennies...have one place where (for example) the total is x.88 and I will give y.13 so that the loose change part is an even quarter.  They get lost because they saw the paper bill but not the complete payment...

Topping that would be going somewhere when the computers are down and they have to compute the full transaction by hand (or in their head).  Usually this will only occur when there has been a power outage and the business is still trying to operate (like a fast food joint following a major storm that knocks out power but the business wants to 'help' the community by being open). 

Interesting observation.

Used to be that kids learned early about counting change. Getting an allowance and figuring out value of things incented learning arithmetic. Tangible cause and effect is much more effective at teaching than sitting through a classroom lecture about seemingly abstract numbers. The trend to cashless transactions, when it trickles down to kids and their allowance, is going to have a significant effect on math education.

#9 Sidewinder

Sidewinder
  • Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:36 PM

Most hilarious word in the entire article?

"Copyright."

#10 brainchasm

brainchasm

BS Detector

• Members
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:58 PM

I am cashless.

I get cash and it's weird.  I don't know where to use it that makes sense.  I usually end up giving it to the kids.

#11 tnts4me

tnts4me
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:43 PM

Count....pun...lol, me as one of those one who is always trying to get the least amount of change or paper money back.   Bill could be 8.38 and I'd give them 13.53, they are like huh.....  until they punch it into the register to see the amount to give back. 

#12 Derek1

Derek1
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:21 PM

I am cashless.

I get cash and it's weird.  I don't know where to use it that makes sense.  I usually end up giving it to the kids.

Eh!  Anything under $40 (that's not Gas) is a cash transaction for me.  Personally I find I don't overspend on cash, since I have a set amount in my wallet.  And whatever change I get back usually goes into a jar to be redeposited in the bank. 

#13 Chris58

Chris58
  • Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:31 AM

Financially responsible people should NEVER use cash, (why not let a bank handle the transactions, pay them once per month and pocket the rewards).

Financially irresponsible people should NEVER even possess a credit card, (and if they possess a debit card they should be "Opted-Out" of allowing overdrafts).

#14 Derek1

Derek1
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:28 AM

The article says it all about why people use credit more often than not. 

"I'm actually terrible about keeping a real budget."

Not much more needs to be said. 

#15 ukaserex

ukaserex
  • Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

A month ago, I'd used my last bit of cash to get a bottle of water at the gym, as I'd forgotten to grab mine from work. (I get a 49 cent bottle from Whole Foods ..not sure why the most expensive grocery store charges less for water than anyone else, but I digress) 

The military trained me to always carry at least $5, but now that things cost a lot more, I try to always have a $20. ... This darn $20 has been in my wallet for a month. The only place I might need cash is a garage sale or the flea market - and I just don't frequent those places that often. 

I suspect we'll see a day when cash simply doesn't exist, except for collectors. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.