Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• We're done with the posts turning political, guys.  
  • Starting immediately, any post that turns political will be immediately closed and the poster who interjected politics will be warned.  
  • ​It is our interpretation that deems it political.  We will not entertain discussion about your intentions.  
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

One derogatory account left on one report - strategy for removing?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 minnesotakent

minnesotakent
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

I only have one negative account remaining. It's only on Experian and the creditor is Ocwen.  I filed chapter 13 in 2010, but I kept paying Ocwen and was never late with a payment. I have recently refinanced and Ocwen is no longer my mortgage company.

Ocwen is showing the account as "Discharged through chapter 7 bankruptcy. Never late." That is an error, because it was not chapter 7, it was chapter 13. 

They are not showing a balance on the account. It's blank, but it should be zero. Ocwen quit reporting on the account once I filed bankruptcy. 

It is reporting that the information was updated in 2015 from a dispute I made then. I do not remember what I disputed at that time.

What would be the best strategy to attempt to get this account removed? 

#2 shifter

shifter

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper V <3

• Members
  • 13,461 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

Dispute incorrect information. If key info like balance is missing dispute the lack of information and ask them to provide it or delete the account. Basically a modified jack attack.

#3 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 14,008 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

I only have one negative account remaining. It's only on Experian and the creditor is Ocwen.  I filed chapter 13 in 2010, but I kept paying Ocwen and was never late with a payment. I have recently refinanced and Ocwen is no longer my mortgage company.

Ocwen is showing the account as "Discharged through chapter 7 bankruptcy. Never late." That is an error, because it was not chapter 7, it was chapter 13. 

They are not showing a balance on the account. It's blank, but it should be zero. Ocwen quit reporting on the account once I filed bankruptcy. 

It is reporting that the information was updated in 2015 from a dispute I made then. I do not remember what I disputed at that time.

What would be the best strategy to attempt to get this account removed? 

Why get it removed instead of having them update it properly, turning it into a positive account?  If you paid it and were never late until 2014 or something (you didn't specify) this item could report positive for 6 more years.

Edited by Konrad2012, 27 March 2018 - 03:45 PM.

#4 minnesotakent

minnesotakent
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:50 AM

Does this look like a good letter to Experian? Is there anything I should change?

There are errors on my report that need to be correct. The errors concern the Ocwen Loan Servicing account.

Error #1:  The status is incorrect. Please provide the correct status or delete the account.

Error #2:  The balance is missing.  Please provide the correct balance or delete the account.

#5 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 14,008 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

Does this look like a good letter to Experian? Is there anything I should change?

There are errors on my report that need to be correct. The errors concern the Ocwen Loan Servicing account.

Error #1:  The status is incorrect. Please provide the correct status or delete the account.

Error #2:  The balance is missing.  Please provide the correct balance or delete the account.

You should try contacting OCWEN first and see if they will correctly report the trade line.

Experian cannot correct anything that is reported by OCWEN, so they will just remove the account.

Having a positive, aged, paid off mortgage on your account is a good thing (yes I realize you have refinanced and have another NEWER mortgage reporting).

#6 minnesotakent

minnesotakent
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

The reason I would like it corrected or removed is because it is the only thing remaining on any of my credit reports that shows any evidence of the bankruptcy. 

It is showing as a negative account on Experian.

Edited by minnesotakent, 28 March 2018 - 02:33 PM.

#7 shifter

shifter

• Members
  • 13,461 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:54 PM

You should try contacting OCWEN first and see if they will correctly report the trade line.

the reason it shows that note is because Ocwen is reporting the IIB status.

it's not just a comment that can be removed. it's the status code itself.

the OP is unlikely to get Ocwen to change the status (other than changing it to CH13, which isn't any better).

so disputing with EX and getting the account removed is really the only option here.

#8 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 14,008 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

the reason it shows that note is because Ocwen is reporting the IIB status.

it's not just a comment that can be removed. it's the status code itself.

the OP is unlikely to get Ocwen to change the status (other than changing it to CH13, which isn't any better).

so disputing with EX and getting the account removed is really the only option here.

I'd try to get OCWEN to change the reporting if it was never late.  Worth a shot.  But I don't know anything about BK's.

#9 shifter

shifter

• Members
  • 13,461 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:31 PM

Certainly worth a try. If you kept making the payments and we're never late maybe you can convince them. However I had Ocwen and they are the spawn of Satan. So good luck.

#10 DigDeep

DigDeep
  • Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:16 AM

Experian cannot correct anything that is reported by OCWEN, so they will just remove the account.

Having a positive, aged, paid off mortgage on your account is a good thing (yes I realize you have refinanced and have another NEWER mortgage reporting).

+1 Definitely try first to get Ocwen to report properly.

I recently tackled removing an incorrect comment from my mortgage company on one bureau. Be prepared to be persistent, document with whom you spoke, when you called, and escalate to supervisors, if necessary.

#11 DigDeep

DigDeep
  • Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

Certainly worth a try. If you kept making the payments and we're never late maybe you can convince them. However I had Ocwen and they are the spawn of Satan. So good luck.

In regards to Ocwen, what problems did you have with them? Were you able to get anything deleted with them?

#12 minnesotakent

minnesotakent
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

This is off-topic, but here's how bad Ocwen can be and this has nothing to do with credit. Ocwen is mainly a debt collector that got into the mortgage business. When you call them, you are treated like people are typically treated when they call a debt collector, no matter what the reason for the phone call. For example, one year they didn't pay my property taxes on time. When I called them I was never able to get past the hard-to-understand people in their call center in India, Pakistan, or wherever they are. They wanted all of this other information that had absolutely nothing to do with my property taxes. It was all about getting information to pay debts, even though I was up to date with all payments and just wanted them to pay the taxes from my escrow account. After about 15 minutes of them asking me all sorts of unrelated questions, they still refused to even talk about the taxes not getting paid, so I finally hung up.

One year I changed my homeowners insurance. The new company sent Ocwen a bill. Ocwen never paid. They sent them another bill. Again, not paid. I finally paid it myself to avoid losing coverage and then about 4 months later they actually paid the bill, which was by then almost six months late. The following year Ocwen sent the insurance payment to the old insurance company, not the one that had billed them. Luckily, both insurance companies are in the same small town and the old one turned over the payment to the new one. I wrote letters to Ocwen explaining their error. They wrote back, so I thought the situation was over.  Until, the next year when it happened again and they once again sent the insurance payment to the wrong company.

#13 shifter

shifter

• Members
  • 13,461 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

In regards to Ocwen, what problems did you have with them? Were you able to get anything deleted with them?

It was a nightmare trying to get a 30DL deleted that was their fault because they started servicing the loan and didn't notify me and I kept sending my payments to the old servicer. I think they changed the law on this now but this was back before.

#14 minnesotakent

minnesotakent
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

Follow up: the dispute with Experian was successful. I was hoping to get the account removed, but the result is even better. They removed the referance to the bankruptcy and reported that the account paid in full and never late. My only remaining negative is now a positive!!

#15 shifter

shifter

• Members
  • 13,461 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

Congrats!

#16 ICANHASMUNY?

ICANHASMUNY?

Forum Leads - State Laws

• Forum Leads
  • 23,733 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:12 AM

Follow up: the dispute with Experian was successful. I was hoping to get the account removed, but the result is even better. They removed the referance to the bankruptcy and reported that the account paid in full and never late. My only remaining negative is now a positive!!

:clapping:

Yes,  under law the CRA's are required to report correctly even if the furnisher supplies bad info. 

Congrats !  

#17 Sidewinder

Sidewinder
  • Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:53 AM

Which, is what I said basically.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.