Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Has anyone ever voluntarily surrendered a vehicle to Santander

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 IKNEWBETTER

IKNEWBETTER
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:37 AM

I was unaware of the business practices of Santander when I financed a vehicle with them. Now I owe twice the value on my car. I'm considering a voluntary surrender to get from under then note. I'm already in a new vehicle so I won't be looking to trade for a while. I'm looking for some information and advice.

#2 gamecockcountry

gamecockcountry
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

What will most likely happen is they will sell the vehicle at auction.  This will most likely be much less than what you owe so they will send you a bill for the difference (amount the sell it for - amount you owe) plus any fees.  If you don't pay that bill it will go to collections.

That's usually what happens with a repo.

#3 mk_378

mk_378
  • Members
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

In a situation like yours it's better to just quit paying and wait for them to take it.  They are more likely to mess up on a technicality then.  Voluntary or involuntary repo are legally the same-- it will wreck your credit and they can sue for repo fees and the balance that the sale of the car didn't cover.

Edited by mk_378, 18 July 2013 - 08:04 AM.

#4 soccrstar

soccrstar
  • Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

you should've traded in the vehicle! thats what I did to get out of my loan. I owed 4 times the value! :-x. traded that sucker in for a new car and much better off and with a lower apr.

#5 BRBiz

BRBiz
  • Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Trading in a car that your upside down in is the worst thing to do especially if its a new car your buying since the value drops as soon as you drive off the lot with it. When you have a high rate the only thing you can really do is to pay extra every month towards the principle to pay it down faster.

#6 IKNEWBETTER

IKNEWBETTER
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

Thank you everyone for your input. I have decided to put it up for sale and praying hard for a buyer. I know I'm going to have to pay the balance after it is sold but it makes me sick to think of ruining credit I have worked to obtain. Besides I don't feel morally right to deliberately default. It goes against all ny principles and teaching. I covet your prayer in this matter.

#7 IKNEWBETTER

IKNEWBETTER
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:36 AM

Thank you everyone for your input. I have decided to put it up for sale and praying hard for a buyer. I know I'm going to have to pay the balance after it is sold but it makes me sick to think of ruining credit I have worked to obtain. Besides I don't feel morally right to deliberately default. It goes against all ny principles and teaching. I covet your prayer in this matter.

#8 BRBiz

BRBiz
  • Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Your going to have a hard time selling a car private sale with a lien on it. Most wont buy it for that reason since it is risky.

#9 Uniqu1

Uniqu1
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:30 AM

Please tell me how you did it?"]you should've traded in the vehicle! thats what I did to get out of my loan. I owed 4 times the value! :-x. traded that sucker in for a new car and much better off and with a lower apr.[/quote]

#10 Uniqu1

Uniqu1
  • Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:31 AM

Please tell me how you did it, and how much did they pay toward the trade. I've never missed a payment.

#11 breeze

breeze

Site Owners

• Admin
  • 53,441 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:05 AM

Please tell me how you did it, and how much did they pay toward the trade. I've never missed a payment.

That post is from 2013. Why don't you start a new thread, maybe we can help. :)

#12 bigpoppa09

bigpoppa09
  • Members
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

That post is from 2013. Why don't you start a new thread, maybe we can help. :)
+1

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.