Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

One price if by cash; another if by credit

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 2fast

2fast
  • Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:16 PM

I was gonna throw some info out for you guys on just how rare cash discounts are (NOT!).
Flying J truck stops (also applies to gas and propane) http://www.flyingj.c..._portal_page_59

Cash price is a 6 cent/gallon discount from credit card/regular price in the US and 3 cent/liter price discount in Canada. Cash price applies when paying for diesel fuel with cash or cash equivalent. Diesel prices are subject to change without notice. The price

Petro Stopping center
http://www.petrotruc...uel_search.sstg

*Price listed includes a 7 cent discount off dispenser price for payment by cash or cash equivalents.

Pilot travel center
http://www.pilottrav...?DieselType=All

Prices listed are the lowest cash price. The cash price is a 6 cents/gallon discount from the credit card price.

There's about 60% of the diesel fuel pumped a day. Funny that they'd want you to pay cash for your $700 fuel purchase.

#27 hairmetal4ever

hairmetal4ever
  • Members
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

I saw a "cash only" gas station someplace, and it had no cars at it. 1/4 mile down the road was a Mobil which had most of the pumps with cars at them.

ONE CASH ONLY PLACE finally moved into the 20th century (NOW TAKE CREDIT CARDS)

They are now packed with cars at the pumps (before they only had two cars in the parking lot **EMPLOYEES** and nobody at the pumps)

A few places here are SO outdated, they actually use those old carbon-paper metal scanner things for a CC Payment, and no pay-at-the-pump. In fact one still has the pumps with the rotating analog dials on it for the price and amount of gas pumped.

#28 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,399 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

A few places here are SO outdated, they actually use those old carbon-paper metal scanner things for a CC Payment, and no pay-at-the-pump. In fact one still has the pumps with the rotating analog dials on it for the price and amount of gas pumped.

Sheesh. I thought they were bad around here still using dial-up authorization terminals.

#29 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:05 PM

...and I can get $0.10 off stated pump price at the gas station conected to the grocery store in the same parking lot

...AND USE MY CREDIT CARD

#30 Serene

Serene
  • Newbies
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

Good spot to film a movie/television show set in the past.

#31 Mike SIU

Mike SIU
  • Members
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:30 AM

Haven't filled up a gas tank in over 6 years.

Bikes and Public Transit for the win

/Albeit I was in a college town and didn't need a car, and now am in Salzburg where a car would be an inconvenience.

Don't miss it

#32 hinklesc

hinklesc

Dr Dew Rag

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:15 AM

Exxon has always been priced higher than the others. You can usually see an Exxon at a freeway offramp with one car filling up, because across the street there is a station for 20 cents less per gallon.

I would just visit any of the other stations George pulled up. (Nothing wrong with BP or Shell gasoline, and not sure what justifies Exxon being so much more).

Here is a pointer to save $$ on gasoline and I have been doing this to save. Beats my 5% Shell MC.

Locate a gift card on Ebay (I have been buying Walmart cards) I can use this card at a Tesoro at WM. Establish a Bing account and get 8% off, also get a Mr. Rebates account to get another 3%, and I've been using my NFCU Cash Rewards 1.5%. So that is 12.5% discount for paying face value for a WalMart gift card.

You have to use the Buy It Now Feature, and many sellers are aware of the discounts and are now padding their prices. You have to catch one where somewhere is unaware.

I just bought a $500 WM card for $460. So that $500 in gas I will be getting an approximate 20% discount.

#33 improper_validation

improper_validation
  • Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

Ehhh....the small restaurant i frequent adds a "10% PITA" fee for credit and debit cards. Owner says dealing with the CC companies, waiting for money etc isn't worth the money, and he wouldn't take them period if not for his partners (wife) insistence. He has been in business for 41 years and is still packed everyday for breakfast and lunch.

You should report them.

Waiting for money?? It doesn't take that long..

More like a "I have to claim this on my taxes" fee.

#34 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

Exxon has always been priced higher than the others. You can usually see an Exxon at a freeway offramp with one car filling up, because across the street there is a station for 20 cents less per gallon.

I would just visit any of the other stations George pulled up. (Nothing wrong with BP or Shell gasoline, and not sure what justifies Exxon being so much more).

Here is a pointer to save $$ on gasoline and I have been doing this to save. Beats my 5% Shell MC.

Locate a gift card on Ebay (I have been buying Walmart cards) I can use this card at a Tesoro at WM. Establish a Bing account and get 8% off, also get a Mr. Rebates account to get another 3%, and I've been using my NFCU Cash Rewards 1.5%. So that is 12.5% discount for paying face value for a WalMart gift card.

You have to use the Buy It Now Feature, and many sellers are aware of the discounts and are now padding their prices. You have to catch one where somewhere is unaware.

I just bought a $500 WM card for $460. So that $500 in gas I will be getting an approximate 20% discount.

I hope that is what you get and not a $50 GIFT CARD

You can't dispute the charge with your credit card company or they will dump you

#35 BBQ123

BBQ123
  • Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

You can't dispute the charge with your credit card company or they will dump you

You can dispute the charge... it is fraudulent to sell a product identified as something it is not. If you order and agree to pay for a red sweater, and get black pair of pants, then the merchant must correct the problem or lose the money via chargeback. Similarly, sell a $500 gift card on e-bay and ship a $50 one and you either fix the issue or face chargeback.

#36 GEORGE

GEORGE
  • Members
  • 81,453 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:56 PM

You can dispute the charge... it is fraudulent to sell a product identified as something it is not. If you order and agree to pay for a red sweater, and get black pair of pants, then the merchant must correct the problem or lose the money via chargeback. Similarly, sell a $500 gift card on e-bay and ship a $50 one and you either fix the issue or face chargeback.

E-BAY WILL DUMP YOU "IF" YOU DISPUTE THE CHARGE WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY

#37 lolipop

lolipop
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

So who is willing to pay cash to save money? :P

I do <_<

#38 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 79,422 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

5 cents off a gallon is less than I get in cashback from a CREDIT card.

#39 frank22

frank22
  • Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:55 PM

So who is willing to pay cash to save money? :D

I do :rolleyes:

Are you on speed? You have bumped up a bunch of very old posts. Don't get me wrong, you are on my side and it is a little lonely in these parts but still...........

Edited by frank22, 10 June 2010 - 06:21 PM.

#40 TrevorHere

TrevorHere

Bad Influence <3

• Mod Squad
  • 28,871 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

Significantly. Not to mention the costly time it takes to go in, wait in line to pay? :rolleyes:

#41 hinklesc

hinklesc

Dr Dew Rag

• Members
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

Significantly. Not to mention the costly time it takes to go in, wait in line to pay? :lol:

Easier just to swipe the Penfed card at the pump.

What ROYALLY makes me mad is when pay at the pump does not work on that pump.

I usually just end up going to another station before I go inside and wait in line with the "Put in $10, and get me a lottery ticket and a pack of camel lights" cash people.

Edited by hinklesc, 10 June 2010 - 07:55 PM.

#42 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 18,587 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:13 PM

Significantly. Not to mention the costly time it takes to go in, wait in line to pay? :mellow:

When it comes to the travel stops (ie. FlyingJ), it is generally a stop for me every 500 mles or so, which means it was time to go stretch legs and use a bathroom anyhow (plus stock up on another DrPepper or two). Not all of us are always 15-20 gallon weekly or monthly gas-n-goes... :unsure:

#43 JetTeach

JetTeach
  • Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

Significantly. Not to mention the costly time it takes to go in, wait in line to pay? :angry:

When it comes to the travel stops (ie. FlyingJ), it is generally a stop for me every 500 mles or so, which means it was time to go stretch legs and use a bathroom anyhow (plus stock up on another DrPepper or two). Not all of us are always 15-20 gallon weekly or monthly gas-n-goes... :(

Ain't that the truth. I probably spend more a week in fuel than most people do in a month.

#44 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 79,422 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Significantly. Not to mention the costly time it takes to go in, wait in line to pay? :lol:

or use the showers :lol:

#45 Sardo Neumspa

Sardo Neumspa
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

Sadly, Visa now advertises on their site the scam that several of these gas stations are doing now.

http://usa.visa.com/...fees/index.html

#46 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 18,587 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

Sadly, Visa now advertises on their site the scam that several of these gas stations are doing now.

Reading what was on the link, I see NOTHING that says gas stations are doing any sort of a scam...they DO discuss that discounts for cash, check and debit are LEGAL.

#47 frank22

frank22
  • Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

Reading what was on the link, I see NOTHING that says gas stations are doing any sort of a scam...they DO discuss that discounts for cash, check and debit are LEGAL.

I think the link was more about the surcharge, which IS against the CC agreements and against the law is the states listed, but more than that it is sleazy, especially if it is not disclosed. I am sure it happened, but I am sure it is a really rare occurrence. Imagine the backlash, forget about CC Co's or the law, what about the customers? I would never go back, and of course would contest it if it wasn't disclosed. I bet 90% of the people would. I am sure you guys would too!

As for the gas station discount: Around me there is only one gas station that offers a "discount" for cash. The big sign out front says $2.66 per gallon, but once you get to the pumps you see the second price for credit at $2.76. All the stations around have the price set in the 2.66 range, and it is for both cash and credit. I have no idea why the Shell station thinks this is a good idea or how it is working for them. I am thinking they do not want CC's at all(I think Shell cards get the cash price). Another Shell close by doesn't have the surcharge.

I get 3% rewards, so the card price would totally negate that, but it it really doesn't matter, cause of course I go elsewhere.

#48 centex

centex
  • Members
  • 18,587 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

I think the link was more about the surcharge, which IS against the CC agreements and against the law is the states listed, but more than that it is sleazy, especially if it is not disclosed. I am sure it happened, but I am sure it is a really rare occurrence. Imagine the backlash, forget about CC Co's or the law, what about the customers? I would never go back, and of course would contest it if it wasn't disclosed. I bet 90% of the people would. I am sure you guys would too!

As for the gas station discount: Around me there is only one gas station that offers a "discount" for cash. The big sign out front says $2.66 per gallon, but once you get to the pumps you see the second price for credit at $2.76. All the stations around have the price set in the 2.66 range, and it is for both cash and credit. I have no idea why the Shell station thinks this is a good idea or how it is working for them. I am thinking they do not want CC's at all(I think Shell cards get the cash price). Another Shell close by doesn't have the surcharge.

I get 3% rewards, so the card price would totally negate that, but it it really doesn't matter, cause of course I go elsewhere.

oh I know the link was primarily about the surcharge...but the person who posted the link did so in a manner that suggested the VISA link was dealing with gas stations and that this was a 'gas station' scam. In reality, the link said NOTHING about scams being performed by gas stations.

As to the cash/credit pricing, I see it from time to time...but the fact that it is a cash price is posted on the signage in a font easily readable. Some of them are the digital price boards that even change back and forth.

The latest craze locally has been Exxon and Shell stations giving 15 cents a gallon discount to use the Exxon or Shell MC.

#49 frank22

frank22
  • Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

Your right, he did say gas station and the link doesn't mention them at all. Another straw man.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.