Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• We're done with the posts turning political, guys.  
  • Starting immediately, any post that turns political will be immediately closed and the poster who interjected politics will be warned.  
  • ​It is our interpretation that deems it political.  We will not entertain discussion about your intentions.  
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Rental judgment and CT state laws

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bikingwater

Bikingwater
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

I'm not sure the best place to post this because it involves multiple questions.

First the background. In 2010, at 20, I cosigned a lease for my mom and ended up moving in to help take care of some of the bills. Next summer in 2011 I decided to return to college out of state. I had to be back by the end of August. I talked to my mom about who said she talked to the landlord and wrote them a letter confirming that we would be breaking the lease to do this. Now I made many many mistakes. I was very naive and ignorant of the things I should have done, I should have looked over my lease, I should have looked over CTs laws, I should have given a forwarding address. It goes on.

One year later I got a letter saying I had a judgment from this for 3300. I immediately called them to find out what was going on. I found out that you cannot break a lease in CT so we were being sued for the remainder of the lease. They also told me there were I think 2 months of unpaid rent. When I lived there my mom was the one that actually paid it to them while I paid all of the utilities and our phone bill and swore this wasn't the case. I found out months later she said it was true and she hasn't paid the last two months because she was "mad at them".(we had a lot of issues with mold in the basement where we went back and forth).

They told me if I could get around 2300 they would take that. I couldn't get that together at the time. The smart thing would have been for me to have saved up on my own each month since then and this would be taken care of. But I've made awful financial decisions and I'm jsut tying to start improving.

Some questions:

1. How does me paying this affect it staying on my report?

If I save up a portion and offer that to them will that satisfy the judgment or would I have to pay the full orginal amount? I don't just mean remove it from my credit report. I want it gone from public record. When does that happen? From the original date or the date it was paid? f I were to pay the full amount now would it not come off for another 7 years? The 7 year mark is next year as it stands now.
From what I read Connecticut statute is 20 years. I'm in Virginia now and have been since I moved back.
Also why wasn't I served? I guess they couldn't find me so they didn't have to? Really unfortunate because I would've worked something out then so this didn't happen.

2. This is the crappy question. But is there anything I can do to dispute the validity? I've talked about this to people in my life and someone mentioned undue influence but I'm not sure that applies here and if it does it's a stretch. My mother is currently doing a bankruptcy so it's all on me.

#2 MarvBear

MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 52,492 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

Welcome to CB.  Someone will be along shortly to offer some advice.

#3 Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967
  • Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:56 AM

Now that they have a judgment, they have absolutely no incentive to offer you some kind of deal.  That happened when they offered a reduced amount of $2300.  I'm afraid you are stuck with the full amount of the judgment.  If the statute of limitations is 20 years, that's how long they have to collect.  And remember, interest accrues the entire time.

Not sure they can remove it from public record.  Unless something was done wrong procedurally,  pretty much stuck with it for 7 years from the judgment date, not from when you broke the lease.  If you pay it, it will reflect as a satisfied judgment on your report.

The rest of the questions I am not sure.  Sorry you are having to deal with this.

#4 Bikingwater

Bikingwater
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

Okay. So I called the courthouse where this happened(in CT, I've now lived in VA since then). They could not locate the court case anywhere. Said to call the collector and try to get a docket number but I'm worried that doing so will compromise me somehow.

It shows up on my credit report as a collections account not a public record, not sure how that makes sense? But my leasing history shows it there as a rental judgment.

Any clue what my best move would be?

#5 breeze

breeze

Site Owners

• Admin
  • 54,452 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Were you on the lease? Did you sign anything? 

#6 Bikingwater

Bikingwater
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

Yes I cosigned. They also searched for my moms name (I cosigned for her) and all possible combinations.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.