Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• We're done with the posts turning political, guys.  
  • Starting immediately, any post that turns political will be immediately closed and the poster who interjected politics will be warned.  
  • ​It is our interpretation that deems it political.  We will not entertain discussion about your intentions.  
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

debt consolidation...how much does it really hurt your credit?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SBT

• Newbies
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

hi all

few years ago I started a master program and received a student loan from my home country (not being  US citizen I couldn't apply for a federal student loan)..then I had ~25-30k of family emergency expenses and ended up putting all the remaining tuition fees on my credit cards. i got a new job last year and now I have ~$800/month in cc payments + $900/three months for my other student loan, which will become $2,000/three months next year). I have ~35k in cc debt over 6 cards with interest between 13-15%, an income of ~85k/year and a FICO of 680. I'm thinking about starting a debt consolidation program since lots of times I get to the end of the month with almost nothing in my bank account. expenses wise I'm pretty low, I don't really buy stuff, rarely eat out, get my coffee at home etc etc...and yes, at some point I'd like to get a house...

I talked to Pacific Debt Relief and National Debt Relief and gave me similar payoff options. my goal is to get in this and pay it off asap (before the end of the contract). so, how much would this actually dip my credit score? and how long would it take to build it back up?

thank you :)

#2 MarvBear

Velvet Hammer

• Admin
  • 52,179 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

Welcome to CreditBoards. Just be a little patient, someone will be along shortly to give you some advice.  Glad you found us.

#3 Txgirl

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

All those credit cards will be closed when you go into a program. We have been in the program for 2 years and my husbands score is 725 and mine is 685. It increases often because the amounts due are decreases faster than if I stayed in the predicament we were in. So initially you will notice but there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.