Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• We're done with the posts turning political, guys.  
  • Starting immediately, any post that turns political will be immediately closed and the poster who interjected politics will be warned.  
  • ​It is our interpretation that deems it political.  We will not entertain discussion about your intentions.  
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Debt Settlement Program or Pay on my own?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hopingfor700

hopingfor700
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:03 AM

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some insight on the best way to proceed.  I'll try to be brief, but if more details are needed I'll gladly provide.

Goal is to raise my credit score (in the mid 500s currently).  Want to qualify for a home in the next 9-12 months if possible.

Currently have a lot of CC debt and a loan with Avant.  

6 CCs:

First Premier (2) - $650, $750
Capital One - $3300

The Limited Store Card - $1350

Credit One - $600

Credit Union - $5100

Loan:

Avant - $6500

I enrolled in a debt settlement program about a month ago.  A couple cards have gone past 30 days at this point, since the program says I shouldn't pay the companies directly so the program can negotiate on my behalf.  They say it takes about 90 to 120 days of no payment for most companies to be willing to settle, and they settle for up to 50% less than what I owe (typically). 

At the time I enrolled, I really needed it.  The monthly minimum payments were getting me nowhere fast and I was surviving on ccs basically.  I pay $265/month for the Avant loan (which has a terrible interest rate of course; I've barely made a dent in the principle and it's been a year).  With the program, I pay them $290 a month until all debts are settled, which they say may take time (up to 38 months).  They also said after 6 months (approx. Feb 2017) they will review my account for a total settlement loan, which means they will pay off all my debts and I'll just have a loan with them only.

During all of this, I got a huge promotion which will bring in about $500 extra a month.  

My question is - is it smarter to throw the $500 extra a month on the cards in a "snowball" fashion, or dump it into the program to settle debts faster?

At this point all of the cards except the Credit Union are about to report 30 days late, so either way I'll have to try and clean that up on the back end.  So I'm wondering since I'll have lates reporting soon anyway, if I should just proceed with the program and dump as much money into it as I can, or if I should try and pay off the small cards asap then tackle the bigger ones.  

I won't receive my first paycheck from my new job until the end of September, so lates will definitely be reported by then.

Just trying to figure out what is the smartest move, which direction will be "easier" to clean up at the end, which direction will increase my credit score the most/fastest, etc.  

Thanks so much.  All (helpful) insight welcome.

#2 bansu

bansu
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

you are in debt settlement program? right? what is that proposed plan?

you have $500 extra coming, its also taxable? save $400 continously for 6 months and payoff credit cards in full only, no partial payments. save $100 foryour taxes?

i m writing this as of may 2017, post any updates

#3 EricD

EricD
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:55 PM

You signed up with a Debt Settlement Company last year. How is that working for you?

May I inquire about name of company?

I signed up with Huron Law Firm yesterday - but getting cold feet (from reading many posts).

I am afraid that: #1 They might rip me off, #2 Debts will not be settled, #3 My creditors will go after me, #4 My credit will go down the drain etc ... (I owe over 50 K in credit cards - plus other loans and debs).

I'm in a bind with limited options - and am afraid that I made a mistake by going to Huron Law Firm.

Thanks

Eric

#4 breeze

breeze

Site Owners

• Admin
  • 54,452 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

You signed up with a Debt Settlement Company last year. How is that working for you?

May I inquire about name of company?

I signed up with Huron Law Firm yesterday - but getting cold feet (from reading many posts).

I am afraid that: #1 They might rip me off, #2 Debts will not be settled, #3 My creditors will go after me, #4 My credit will go down the drain etc ... (I owe over 50 K in credit cards - plus other loans and debs).

I'm in a bind with limited options - and am afraid that I made a mistake by going to Huron Law Firm.

Thanks

Eric

You have to default on your cards in order to use the debt settlement. It does trash your credit. I would never do this. I hope it worked out better for the OP.

#5 EricD

EricD
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

Breeze ...I know that I might sound like an ignoramus  :cry2: ... but what is so bad about "trashing your credit" ???

What is worse:  50 K debt I cannot pay back (plus other non-credit card debts ... or a ruined credit ???

At least, in 3-4  yrs, I will be debt free, and can restart to rebuild my credit... I will keep a credit card, and no plan to buy home/car for now (definitively not)...

Between 2 evils, I would rather be debt-free and start rebuilding finances, budget etc ...

Am I completely "off the wall" ????
Eric  :wave:

#6 IndyPoolPlayer

IndyPoolPlayer
  • Members
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

Usually as part of being in a debt plan, all of your accounts must be closed. Besides once an account gets marked as being in a DMP you'll find other creditors get jumpy and cancel any remaining open accounts

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.