Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Six-figure income and they can't make ends meet

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 79,463 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

http://www.cnbc.com/...ix-figures.html

#2 Zobelle

Zobelle
  • Members
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:22 PM

Mo money mo problems.

#3 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 29,712 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

According to this site, $100,000 in annual income puts you in the 96th percentile.

http://whatsmypercen...m?income=100000

Doesn't say if this is individual or household. 

96th percentile seems high, especially for HHI.

#4 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 79,463 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

According to this site, $100,000 in annual income puts you in the 96th percentile.

http://whatsmypercen...m?income=100000

Doesn't say if this is individual or household. 

96th percentile seems high, especially for HHI.

that site needs more significant figures to make it interesting.

#5 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 29,712 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:56 PM

$100,000 is in the 73rd percentile according to this one.

https://dqydj.com/ho...ile-calculator/

#6 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 79,463 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

$100,000 is in the 73rd percentile according to this one.

https://dqydj.com/ho...ile-calculator/

and

are the same according to that site.

#7 Burgerwars

Burgerwars
  • Members
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:40 PM

$125,000 total income between both spouses, three kids and a home in Chevy Chase, MD isn't much. This isn't even news. Try the same income in San Francisco for a single person renting an apartment there. You might still need public assistance just to make ends meet.

Edited by Burgerwars, 15 July 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#8 Daddy

Daddy
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

I never understood why parents feel it is their obligation to pay for their children's college, even when they clearly cannot afford it. Why sabotage your retirement for your kids' college? It makes no sense.

I have a friend. Her daughter chose to go to a school that costs $60,000/yr just to become a teacher making around $60,000. So the parents are always broke trying to help pay for her college expenses. She could have gone to the local community college for $3000/yr then transferred to a $20,000/yr public school. But no, she is forcing her parents to struggle to help her. When the mom brought up her concerns, the daughter just shrugged it off. I would have just made her figure out on her own what to do.

#9 Zobelle

Zobelle
  • Members
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

I never understood why parents feel it is their obligation to pay for their children's college, even when they clearly cannot afford it. Why sabotage your retirement for your kids' college? It makes no sense.

I have a friend. Her daughter chose to go to a school that costs $60,000/yr just to become a teacher making around $60,000. So the parents are always broke trying to help pay for her college expenses. She could have gone to the local community college for $3000/yr then transferred to a $20,000/yr public school. But no, she is forcing her parents to struggle to help her. When the mom brought up her concerns, the daughter just shrugged it off. I would have just made her figure out on her own what to do.

The world needs ditch diggers too.

I came up with a rule for the wife and I once we get there: We'll match 50% of whatever scholarships they're able to acquire. If a scholarship drops them due to bad grades, so does our contribution.

In the end if they drop out and end up working at In'n'Out it'll still come out cheaper for us to have them stay at home than paying for college. What they do with their adult life is on them.

I didn't go to college and I did (and still am doing) just fine.

#10 DollarDog

DollarDog
  • Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

Are you still maxing out the 529 plans for your 3 children?

#11 Daddy

Daddy
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

Never did. $0 balances on them all.

#12 DollarDog

DollarDog
  • Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

Never did. $0 balances on them all.

https://creditboards...opic=582044&hl=

#13 Daddy

Daddy
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

That was the plan. But I changed my mind. Are you ok with that?

#14 Daddy

Daddy
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

Besides, the plan was never to "max" them out anyway. I had very small amounts planned until I decided to use that money for other things.

#15 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 79,463 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

I don't understand why people think they need to leave kids tons of money when they die. My conspiracy theory is that advisors push this because it means more fees overtime for them. I can see leaving kids some money or better some legacy items, house, or land; but the notion you should only use 4% a year to avoid touching your principle in retirement because you want to leave the principle to your kids is silly.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.