Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Should You Sign the Back of Your Credit Card?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 76,548 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Should You Sign the Back of Your Credit Card?

http://lifehacker.co...card-1558289863

#2 mindcrime

mindcrime

Tipping the power balance

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

Interesting read, but doesn't make any mention of the type of pen you should be using.

#3 hegemony

hegemony

Area Man

• Members
  • 76,548 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

I use a sharpy, any color but black.

I still laugh when I read about people who think writing "check ID" makes then safe®

#4 moosetracks

moosetracks
  • Members
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hmm, interesting..

#5 policebox

policebox
  • Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

When I worked retail, I always pissed customers off by following the rules.

• I always compared sales receipt signatures to the signature on the back of the card.
  • I would not accept a card with "SEE ID" written on the signature panel, unless they produced an ID and then signed the card.

#6 Fuerza

Fuerza
  • Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

I still laugh when I read about people who think writing "check ID" makes then safe®

I use a Sharpie also, I've noticed my new cards have color on the signature pad. My Fidelity Amex has red/green/white on the pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 x2theone2x

x2theone2x
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

When I worked retail, I always pissed customers off by following the rules.

• I always compared sales receipt signatures to the signature on the back of the card.
  • I would not accept a card with "SEE ID" written on the signature panel, unless they produced an ID and then signed the card.

I've never met anyone in my generation who had a consistent signature.

#8 yrush

yrush
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

If the card isn't signed or it says "SEE ID" the merchant can refuse the card since it is a violation of the merchant agreement. I had a card refused by the post office for this exact reason.

#9 GR8WhiTE

GR8WhiTE
  • Members
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:04 AM

Wow....

Finally someone with a brain! The stupidest people put that "see id" crap and I just swipe it with out giving a crap.

You know what? No! I don't want to see your ID. Just give me your money!

Like the way you go to Walgreens or McDonalds and hand them the card or even swipe the card yourself and no one checks it. I don't want to check it either! I had an argument with a lady one time. This b!tch said to me "it's because of people like you that fraud is a big crime".  People are salamanders.

Edited by GR8WhiTE, 14 April 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#10 virtualtreasure

virtualtreasure

Luck O' the Irish

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

Fade-proof and water-resistant gel ink -check

but what is the purpose of using a color instead of a black sharpie?

#11 policebox

policebox
  • Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:17 AM

Wow....

Finally someone with a brain! The stupidest people put that "see id" crap and I just swipe it with out giving a crap.

You know what? No! I don't want to see your ID. Just give me your money!

Like the way you go to Walgreens or McDonalds and hand them the card or even swipe the card yourself and no one checks it. I don't want to check it either! I had an argument with a lady one time. This b!tch said to me "it's because of people like you that fraud is a big crime".  People are salamanders.

I agree with your overall sentiment. However, in none of the retails-type jobs I ever had (although there weren't many), I never received any training on accepting credit card payments, except for which button to press on the cash register to make the transaction go through. Any knowledge I had on the proper procedures of accepting credit cards, merchant agreements with Visa/MasterCard, etc. all came from personal reading and research I had done prior to having these jobs.

We really shouldn't be shocked that people are so poorly educated when it comes to banking and finances, considering as a culture (speaking as a citizen of the United States), we seem to place nearly no value in providing the education to our children, young adults, and even adults. People tend to get told what they should have done after the fact, when it's too late.

#12 iH8cra

iH8cra

Owner, Y chromosome

• Members
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:32 AM

I haven't signed the back of a credit card in probably 10 years.

The only people who have gotten huffy about it are the post office. 

Edited by iH8cra, 14 April 2014 - 03:33 AM.

#13 moadikum

moadikum
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

"See ID" makes far more sense that relying on a signature to prove ownership. If someone has stolen your credit card, it's very easy to remove the signature - or in many cases - sign it yourself (if the owner hasn't signed it). It's far-less-likely that the thief has also forged a government-issued ID with your name on it.

I'm surprised people are so anti "See ID". I know it's not technically a legitimate signing-mechanism (since the card companies require your signature), but practically, it's fare more secure. 

#14 TrevorHere

TrevorHere

Bad Influence <3

• Mod Squad
  • 28,871 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

"See ID" makes far more sense that relying on a signature to prove ownership. If someone has stolen your credit card, it's very easy to remove the signature - or in many cases - sign it yourself (if the owner hasn't signed it). It's far-less-likely that the thief has also forged a government-issued ID with your name on it.

I'm surprised people are so anti "See ID". I know it's not technically a legitimate signing-mechanism (since the card companies require your signature), but practically, it's fare more secure. 

Forking your DL over to a cashier is not secure...

#15 clutchcargo

clutchcargo

CB Hitman

• Members
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

Since I don't like handing my ID over to just anyone, and since I'm not liable for any fraudulent charges anyway, I sign the card.

#16 foeplay

foeplay

Bump Influence IV

• Members
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

I use a pink Hello Kitty pen to sign my cards.

#17 rslifkin

rslifkin

Joseph C unchained

• CB JAIL
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Fake ID, anyone? Out-of-state? Crooks can do convincingly this. Ans cashiers arent police, so, no, no ID from me, unless I am being detained.

Since I don't like handing my ID over to just anyone, and since I'm not liable for any fraudulent charges anyway, I sign the card.

+1 and :good:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

#18 moadikum

moadikum
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Fake ID, anyone? Out-of-state? Crooks can do convincingly this. Ans cashiers arent police, so, no, no ID from me, unless I am being detained.

Fake IDs can be made - but it's far easier to "fake sign" someone's name on a credit card. Which takes more effort - duplicating an authentic-looking fake ID, or signing someone's signature?

In the event someone steals your credit card (it dropped out of your wallet, etc), and they attempt to make some quick purchases before you notify the card company its been stolen - "See ID" would work far better than a signature. 

#19 rslifkin

rslifkin

Joseph C unchained

• CB JAIL
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

Fake IDs can be made - but it's far easier to "fake sign" someone's name on a credit card. Which takes more effort - duplicating an authentic-looking fake ID, or signing someone's signature?

In the event someone steals your credit card (it dropped out of your wallet, etc), and they attempt to make some quick purchases before you notify the card company its been stolen - "See ID" would work far better than a signature. 

Not at places like the first busy fast food restaurant it wouldnt, as that is rapidly becoming the first place for a "test purchase," since you need a billing zip code for a gas station.

Cardholder agreements also forbid ID asking, making a great many stores in violation.

Really, asking ID more or less is a great tool for harassing a would-be customer.

#20 rslifkin

rslifkin

Joseph C unchained

• CB JAIL
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

http://creditboards....howtopic=513547

#21 rslifkin

rslifkin

Joseph C unchained

• CB JAIL
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

Also. If you then said you wrote "See ID" on card and didnt sign it, wouldnt that invalidate your protections against fraudulent purchases?

#22 mendelssohn

mendelssohn

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper VI

• Members
  • 26,692 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

They are not valid unless signed. For example, read what MasterCard has to say about unsigned cards:

Edit: I can't get the link to post, but if you google "credit cards must be signed," MasterCard has a top search result that says an unsigned credit card is not valid and that merchants should not process transactions.

Edited by mendelssohn, 14 April 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#23 johnr

johnr
  • Members
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

And how does the store know that the CASH you're paying with isn't a left-over of that $200 that the social security administration accidently overpaid your great-grandma 40 years ago that you somehow were the benefactor of and that the government isn't going to want it back?

hmmmmm.....

#24 rslifkin

rslifkin

Joseph C unchained

• CB JAIL
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

And how does the store know that the CASH you're paying with isn't a left-over of that $200 that the social security administration accidently overpaid your great-grandma 40 years ago that you somehow were the benefactor of and that the government isn't going to want it back?

hmmmmm.....

Cash is sub-prime.

#25 despair808

despair808
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

Just had mine rejected by the Post Office cause of no signiature...lol

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.