Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

The Master Am I Eligible? Eligibility Checklist for Navy Federal Navy Fed NavFed NFCU Thread

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#1 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 35,930 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

https://www.navyfede...y-checklist.php

Eligibility Checklist
Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration.
If you fall under any of these categories, you're eligible to join:

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants

All DoD Officer Candidate programs—Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy, United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs*

U.S. Government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)

All DoD civilian employees—including retirees and annuitants

DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

Still not sure if you are eligible? Use our Membership Eligibility Wizard or call us at 1-888-842-6328.

#2 CIO

CIO

Bump Influence II

• Members
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:15 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#3 VK

VK
  • Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:27 AM

how about I joined a smaller CU that was subsequently acquired by NFCU eligibility criteria? ;)

#4 blackangst

blackangst

CB Pot Stirrer

• Members
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:42 AM

how about I joined a smaller CU that was subsequently acquired by NFCU eligibility criteria? ;)

Yah Im wondering too :P

#5 Rotten Maters

Rotten Maters
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

What if both grandfathers were in the army?

#6 DuckMan

DuckMan
  • Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

Then you have 2 chances to talk one of them into joining for you.

I know a pair of brothers in law that are A&Ps one for the Navy and one for the Marines... Family get togethers are always fun after a few cases of beer.

#7 Stanggt03

Stanggt03
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

Are they retired from the army? If your family member is not active duty, they need to be retired. That means receiving a pension, having put in 20+ years. Serving their committed time and being honorably discharged would not qualify.

Also, while the website (and some reps) will tell you the family member that is eligible does not need to be a member, they will eventually question your eligibility. The more we called, the more they questioned. After our 4th call, they demanded DW's mom join. My suggestion is to have the eligible person join, get their access code, then you can join. Explain it doesn't take too long and offer to buy then beer, dinner, etc in exchange.

#8 road2freedom

road2freedom

Bump Influence XXXII

• Members
  • 5,930 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

Then you have 2 chances to talk one of them into joining for you.

I know a pair of brothers in law that are A&Ps one for the Navy and one for the Marines... Family get togethers are always fun after a few cases of beer.

Just to clarify, they have to be active or retired as stang mentioned. Also, if they are eligible, they don't have to join first. They must only be "eligible" in order for you to join.

#9 Stanggt03

Stanggt03
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

This is true in theory. In practice, YMMV. After our 4th call, they demanded the eligible person join. A call the next day yielded the same results. It may be possible to join without the eligible person being a member, but it can create hassles down the road, depending on who you speak with. Once you're flagged, they gotta join.

#10 road2freedom

road2freedom

Bump Influence XXXII

• Members
  • 5,930 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Maybe so... It would be interesting to figure out what causes that. I know I joined based on my grandfather's eligibility (not a member) and had no problems. My wife since joined based on my membership and now has a 13k CC with them and never a second question. We even went into a branch to submit our signature forms and deposit my initial $5 and not even a funny look from the account rep.

#11 Woolfman

Woolfman
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

same here , I joined over the phone . My dad is retired from the army but not a member. The woman that took my app over the phone asked how i was eligible . I told her about my dad and i have never had any other questions from them about it. I have a 20k CC with them a 35k car loan and they are my main bank. I have even opened up my son a savings account with them . Never any issues about me being eligible or not.

#12 Stanggt03

Stanggt03
  • Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

Probably depends on the rep. My wife also lost her wallet days after receiving our CCs, so we had to report it lost/stolen. That might have been the final straw. It's fine. Her mom joined and we are all set. Now if I can get on the checking account I'll be all set. Waiting for them to process the paperwork.

#13 Rotten Maters

Rotten Maters
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:32 AM

Both grandfathers deceased. And both just "did their time" during WWII, then got honorable discharges.

So, I guess that answers that question! LOL

#14 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 35,930 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

;)

#15 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 35,930 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your mom is eligible through your step-dad (aka your dad), then you are also eligible through him and mom does not need to sign up first? Am I oversimplifying it? When we signed up I made it clear that fil was my fil, so they made dh join, and me as joint. But, if I'd said he was my dad, slight technicality, I could have joined. They never asked us for any identifying documents, etc, just took his name, soc and branch of service... If you were trying to skirt the system and get in when you really didn't have military family I'd wag my finger, but clearly you're not. So cut through the red tape and just do it already! Unless I'm off base... Then don't do it already.

#16 OCChineseguy

OCChineseguy
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:04 AM

I was thinking to get a job at the Burger King on the Base........Would that qualify me?

#17 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 35,930 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:17 AM

I was thinking to get a job at the Burger King on the Base........Would that qualify me?

I don't think so, but maybe you should start a new thread and ask. :P

#18 OCChineseguy

OCChineseguy
  • Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

I don't think so, but maybe you should start a new thread and ask. :P

Done.....I bet that help wanted sign is down today.

#19 iWhat

iWhat

Bump Influence XXXIII

• Members
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

My son was in the air force do I qualify?

#20 iWhat

iWhat

Bump Influence XXXIII

• Members
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

Nope tried that.

#21 BDK

BDK
  • Members
  • 13,038 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

My son was in the air force do I qualify?

I don't know. Did you even read the first post in this thread? :dntknw:

#22 iWhat

iWhat

Bump Influence XXXIII

• Members
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

Yeah I did being sarcastic...

#23 tjguitar

tjguitar
  • Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

YMMV,

but I mailed in an app with my 5 bucks. If you click the membership eligibility wizard, it clearly says:

Please select a category that best describes you from the list below:

Uniformed Department of Defense

Military Officer Candidate*

Department of Defense Civilian**

All Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP) Personnel

U.S. Government Civilian (non-DoD)

U.S. Coast Guard

Civilian Defense Contractor

Family member of one of the above

None of the above

If you click the family member link, it take you to another screen that says:

You Selected Family Member

This includes those whose family members are currently a member of Navy Federal or eligible for membership.

Our definition of Family Member includes grandparent, parent, spouse, sibling, children (adopted, foster and step), grandchildren and household members.*

Does this describe you?

I printed this screen and highlighted the relevant portions. I did N/A on the sponsor account number, but wrote in my grandfather's name (including his rank).

I haven't apped for any products yet, but when I called for online access, they asked if I wanted to apply for a card.

TJ

#24 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 35,930 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

I was surprised to learn just now that my parents don't have to be NFCU members as long as they are retired military.

What is weird is, the lady didn't ask me a single question about my father - other than whether or not he was military, what branch, and for how long.

Then she said welcome to NFCU, and here is your access #.

Had I known my parents didn't have to be members, I would have joined a long time ago. I was waiting for a convenient time for my folks to take a INQ on their credit report which was still a long ways away.

#25 BobWang

BobWang

Bump Influence <3

• Members
  • 35,930 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

I wasn't born in America but was an American citizen by birth due to being born on American Military base in South Korea, question is I have no contact with my biological father since the divorce happened over 25 years ago when I was very young, it wasn't on good terms and I only know his name from my birth certificate, would this allow me to qualify for NFCU without having to contact my biological father? He was a member of US Army.

If he's retired military, yes.

It doesn't hurt to try.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.