Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• We're done with the posts turning political, guys.  
  • Starting immediately, any post that turns political will be immediately closed and the poster who interjected politics will be warned.  
  • ​It is our interpretation that deems it political.  We will not entertain discussion about your intentions.  
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

When does Chex delete an entry after 5 years?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Whotheguy

Whotheguy
  • Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

I have a BS entry on my Chex report that just turned 5 years old October 31st, 2017. What is Chex's timeframe for deleting it? I want to order a free report, but don't want to do it too soon.

#2 tmcgill

tmcgill
  • Members
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

I was told by one of their representatives, that it is five years (60) months from the reported date.

The entry should have fallen off.

Note: Dispute as obsolete if it is still reporting.

Edited by tmcgill, 04 November 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#3 Whotheguy

Whotheguy
  • Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

Cool. Thank you for the help. I'll go forward with ordering a report and then dispute as needed.

#4 seattlecredit

seattlecredit
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:01 PM

A follow up question on this.

I have an old Chex entry dated 12/26/2012.

So in theory, it should fall off in a couple of days from today, on 12/26/2017. (5 years from the original day)

Question 1:  Does anyone have experience--  will ChexSystems delete the entry exactly on the day of  its 5 year anniversary, i.e. on 12/26/2017 or 12/27/2017 or on some other day?

Question 2: Will it help if I dispute this record as obsolete BEFORE 12/26/2017? I know that with CRAs, they will delete even 30 days before the 7 year mark if one disputes as obsolete.

The reason I am asking is I absolutely need to apply for something that uses ChexSystems next week and I am trying to come up with an approach that will guaranteed that this 5 year old record is gone.

Thank you so much in advance!!

#5 tmcgill

tmcgill
  • Members
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

I was told it is deleted the day it becomes obsolete.

#6 seattlecredit

seattlecredit
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

I was told it is deleted the day it becomes obsolete.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any recent experience with this? Does the item really get deleted on the day it becomes obsolete?

A related question-- is there a way to check if one has any Chex records without waiting for 5 days to receive a paper copy of the report?

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

#7 tmcgill

tmcgill
  • Members
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:21 AM

Unfortunately, no online access to your report. You have to wait for the snail mail copy, or risk applying and adding an inquiry to your report.

Note:  Although they say they delete when the entry is obsolete, there have been many instances through the years where individuals said the information did not drop off. Chex doesn't always comply and delete. That is why it is important to request a copy to verify it. I've had to advise individuals to dispute to get obsolete entries deleted or updated to a "paid" status, when they paid.

Edited by tmcgill, 25 December 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#8 seattlecredit

seattlecredit
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

Unfortunately, no online access to your report. You have to wait for the snail mail copy, or risk applying and adding an inquiry to your report.

Note:  Although they say they delete when the entry is obsolete, there have been many instances through the years where individuals said the information did not drop off. Chex doesn't always comply and delete. That is why it is important to request a copy to verify it. I've had to advise individuals to dispute to get obsolete entries deleted or updated to a "paid" status, when they paid.

Thanks! For "Dispute as Obsolete," does anyone know how long does it take for ChexSystems to process such disputes?

For example, CRAs can often process such disputes almost instantly (e.g. they receive dispute today, tomorrow it's gone).

Let's say there is a record from 12/26/2012, scheduled to fall of on 12/26/2017. To be proactive, on 12/27/2017, I dispute it, just to be sure since I don't have time to wait 5-7 days to check my report (I am dealing with a very specific deadline to apply and transfer funds before the end of the year).

Will ChexSystems take action within 1-2 day if it's a valid "Dispute as Obsolete" dispute?

Thanks.

#9 tmcgill

tmcgill
  • Members
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:55 AM

I will let others respond as well, but my experience and observation has been that it varies, depending on your file information.

#10 seattlecredit

seattlecredit
  • Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

Thanks!

To update-- I called ChexSystems 1 day after the 5 year mark and was told that information was already deleted/not showing. So it appears that ChexSystems *may be* actually following the law to the day.

Of course, I won't know if they are telling the truth unless I get the report in the mail, which I requested.

Thanks again!

#11 tmcgill

tmcgill
  • Members
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

Great news. Usually, they have your file in front of them when they relay that over the phone. I wasn't trying to be an alarmist, but sometimes you have to give them a "nudge".

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.