Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Menus and programs to feed entire family CHEAP each month

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DragonFlyer

DragonFlyer

Mrs. O'Leary

• Banned
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

https://www.angelfoodministries.com/
This program is awesome. You can even Google some menu plans for the food from third party sites. Simple. Convenient. Cheap.

http://hillbillyhousewife.com/
You can feed a family of six including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack for $45 a week with nothing in your pantry to start with. I did it! The recipes may not be as "light" as I would like, but for those in financial straights, it works. They also have a $70 menu as well.

Just thought I would share...

#2 radi8

radi8
  • Admin
  • 27,399 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

Good stuff. Pinning so it doesn't get lost.

#3 DragonFlyer

DragonFlyer

Mrs. O'Leary

• Banned
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

Thanks radi8. :mellow:

#4 PinkGirl

PinkGirl
  • Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

Ok for the record. DragonFlyer gave me that link...........and the angel food ppl ROCK. i mean ROCK.

I got enough meat for the entire month for less than 75 bux. AND there are sides and stuff.

Thankfully my parents are helping out with this (however the program does take food stamps!!!!)........anyhow....for feb i got the meat kit, the sides kit, the fajita kit (meat sliced up for fajitas saves me work!!) and something else i can't remember for 90 dollars. and it's a lot of food.

I highly recommend it. and I appreciate dragonflyer a TON!

also. hillbillyhousewife..........they make a menu so you can use the angel food stuff........very cool! plus they have LOTS of recipes and money saving menu ideas.

In the situation my family is in, things like this and people with kind hearts like DragonFlyer have been such a huge help!!

HUGS TO ALL

#5 paganaurora

paganaurora
  • Newbies
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

angel foods is great! my husband was a bit leery but it was pretty good and my son really enjoyed the fajitas-- we do not eat a lot of red meat but otherwise no complaints. Reasonable quality food at a fraction of the cost.

#6 webworm98

webworm98
  • Members
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

No offense to Angel Food network at all. I can buy this stuff cheaper at the store. Maybe not all but most. Not good for just a family of 2.

#7 DragonFlyer

DragonFlyer

Mrs. O'Leary

• Banned
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:08 AM

No offense to Angel Food network at all. I can buy this stuff cheaper at the store. Maybe not all but most. Not good for just a family of 2.

Cost savings aside, it's a great way to have convenience and simplicity in your life. :dntknw: Finding the cheapest price on all the products would require a LOT of planning, shopping at different stores, etc. This way you can just pick the whole batch of food up and have your menu already planned. I like that!

#8 Jen23514

Jen23514
  • Members
  • 12,586 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

no, but for larger families, it is a lifesaver sometimes :)

#9 shasta

shasta
  • Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:35 AM

I came across this site on Twitter:

http://www.5dollardi...ni-alfredo.html

All are recipes for family dinners that cost $5 to make.

#10 gregcjackson

gregcjackson
  • Members
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

I think it really comes down to access and convenience. For example if you live near a Super Wal-Mart or similar supermarkets you can just go buy food cheaply without much planning needed. A lot of people don't, I assume.

Based on some of the menus I have seen on other sites ( maybe they have improved and no offense to Angel Food), the value was not that great and there is a lot of profit built-in to pay the family salaries.

That said, people could probably do a lot worse ( convenience stores, fast food,etc).

#11 nicole379

nicole379
  • Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

Thank you so much for posting this! How have I not heard of these places before? What a lifesaver!

#12 tallgirlandrea

tallgirlandrea
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

thanks for this thread, i checked out angel food and there is a site in my small town (whoda thunkit??) which is great, can not wait ti use them next month!!

#13 jonson

jonson
  • Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

Apparently Angel Food Ministries went out of business :(

#14 uh60james

uh60james
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

Indeed they have. The owners have been indicted on federal charges.

#15 bjk123

bjk123
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

Indeed they have. The owners have been indicted on federal charges.

One Harvest has a similar program that is still up and running, but it is only available in the southeast, and has fewer distribution locations.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.