Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Closing account correctly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pendleton94

pendleton94
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

I was recently approved for my 2nd Bank of America card and I figured I'd close out my Wells checking and savings and move my funds to my Bank of America accounts.

Do I write a check out to myself to bring the balance to 0 before closing or do I need to leave some money in the account and take out remaining cash at closing?

I have 2k in my checking and 3k in my savings

Edited by pendleton94, 25 January 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#2 illusemycreditcard

illusemycreditcard
  • Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

You can contact them by phone, in person, or by online chat to close your account. They'll have a check sent to you with the balance left in the account unless you have other instructions for them. While I've never done it, I don't see why you couldn't send the balance somewhere else first and then close the account.

#3 tmcgill

tmcgill
  • Members
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

I advise closing the account in writing, and getting written confirmation (or a statement with a zero balance).  Too many horror stories of verbally closing over the phone - and then 4-5 months later the account is mysteriously overdrawn, charged off and sent to Chexsystems. If you call them over the phone, it is just your word against theirs for the closure.

#4 IH8SPM

IH8SPM
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

I would suggest they mail you a check and then close your account and verify it writing and multiple calls until it's official. I closed a Wells Fargo account that tool 3 months to close and the same with citi. When I did it in person it was closed at once.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#5 pendleton94

pendleton94
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

I meant to say that I would close it in person, I just didn't know if it mattered if I walked that much cash out of there (WF) to Bank of America?

Edited by pendleton94, 26 January 2017 - 07:05 PM.

#6 illusemycreditcard

illusemycreditcard
  • Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

I meant to say that I would close it in person, I just didn't know if it mattered if I walked that much cash out of there (WF) to Bank of America?

You can have them write you a check. I had the fee for a cashier's check waived for an account closure, and the way it was stated this appeared to be standard procedure. Having said that, I have had issues neither withdrawing about $10,000 from Wells Fargo nor depositing around the same amount to BofA. Some Wells Fargo locations have given myself and others complimentary money bags to go with a large withdrawal. Be aware that my experience with any of this is from over five years ago.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.