Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Chexsystem and paying off old bank account

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Apsugirl26

Apsugirl26
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

Does anyone have experience with banks settling on a old account so you can get removed from chexsystems and getting a new bank account? I want to pay my old account but I cant pay the whole amount but wondering if they would possibly settle on a smaller amount. I have an account with US Bank but I would like to change banks. The old account will fall off chexsystems next year. Should I just leave it alone and let it fall off and be patient?

#2 tmcgill

tmcgill
  • Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

Unfortunately, paying will not remove the reported account. Chexsystems would have to update it to a paid status, and some banks will approve if owed amounts show they are paid.

Since you have a year remaining, I suggest finding primary and backup non-Chexsystems accounts. Also, there are several banks that will approve if your negative Chex file info is 3 years or older. :clapping:

Do you know if you have any negatives in EWS (Early Warning Services)?  This is a CRA owned by several of the big banks, and contains "fraud" alert reports. (Many of the reported accounts did not have actual fraud, but I think it is one more way these banks penalize accountholders who owe them money).

Did you have possible banks in mind, or do you need suggestions for your location?

How to check your EWS report:

(800) 325-7775

Edited by tmcgill, 24 January 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#3 Apsugirl26

Apsugirl26
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:48 PM

Im really wanting to change to a credit union. The only 2 where I live is Altra Federal Credit Union and Fortera Credit Union. I really dont have an issue with US bank. I have heard that its better to be at a credit union than a big bank.

I spoke with Altra and they told me that if I show proof I paid BOA then I could apply, but I owe BOA alot and wasnt sure If I could just call BOA and see if they would settle with a smaller amount than what I owe.

#4 tmcgill

tmcgill
  • Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

Possible Options:

Hope Credit Union

hopecu.org

Second Chance Account For Those On Chexsystems. Open to TN residents and those in neighboring states.

**Note: They are in Jackson, TN and you might have to travel to open the account. Once opened, they are members of the Co-Op network.

Once the account is open, you could use a local member credit union for banking. Co-Op members near you are on their website.

Highland Federal Savings and Loan (Crossville, TN)

highlandfederal.com

ID Check only - No Chexsystems

Although you have been looking for a credit union, we have gotten good recommendations for online banking through Chime Bank. You could use that as a backup.

https://www.chimebank.com/

Edited by tmcgill, 24 January 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#5 Apsugirl26

Apsugirl26
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

Hey tmc, have you heard if Hope Credit Union denies you online if your on chexsystems? They are not close or I would go to a branch. I know when I went to US bank, I had to go to a store branch.

#6 tmcgill

tmcgill
  • Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

I spoke with them last December, and you can apply for the second chance account and membership online.

Note: Let us know if you decide to apply and any updates.  Good luck!

Search for Shared Branches (Co-Op Network) in Your Area Here:

https://co-opcreditunions.org/locator/

Edited by tmcgill, 25 January 2017 - 11:49 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.