Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

Refinance?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon1008

Brandon1008
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:47 AM

Im new to this.  I bought a home 2 years ago from a friend.  I believe the house is worth 10k more now.

I want to get a cheaper payment, and/or some cash out if possible?

My rate is 3.75% and I pay mortgage insurance for the life of this loan... unless I refi.

Can someone help explain to me how this works and if this is a smart idea?  This house is about to become a rental.

Thanks!

#2 Brandon1008

Brandon1008
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:47 AM

alrighty... it was worth a shot.

#3 hyschmied

hyschmied
  • Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:19 AM

Not sure if you'll get a better rate but you may get rid of the PMI. If you didn't have that much equity in the beginning pulling more cash out might be tough.

Call up a loan officer and check.

#4 oldblue

oldblue
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

We need more to go off current value and balance on the loan.  Depending on the loan you originally got, guessing FHA say you originally bought a 100k house with 3.5% down you'll have lowered the principal very little in 2 years after the upfront mortgage insurance payment being added to the balance.  Lets say you have a 95k balance owed currently, most lenders want 20% down to get rid of pmi on a fixed rate.  20% of a $110,000 value would be 22k in equity needed which means you would need another 7k down to go conventional.  A lot of lenders will do 15% down ARMs with no pmi. Which would mean you only need an additional $1500 down to get rid of pmi in the above example but your rate would be variable.  Cash out is most likely impossible.  I might be wrong but I believe most lenders want to see 30% equity to do a cash out refi.  So in the 110k house example you would have to owe less than 77k to get any cash out. 

Another thing to consider is if you are making the house a rental you are not supposed to have an owner occupant loan.  Technically if the lender finds out they can call the loan due.  Investment property loans generally need bigger down payments and have higher interest rates.  On your first few you might get away with 20% down after that commercial loans require 25% -  30% down.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.