Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

The Dining and Food Thread

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#151 mec

mec
  • Members
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

I thought every supermarket that had a guy behind a meat counter would fill just about any meat request you would make of them (given the limit of their equipment). I have no idea if Walmart, Sam's club, Costco... will also do that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

#152 mendelssohn

mendelssohn

Bump Influence Scroll Keeper VI

• Members
  • 29,450 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

At least in my area, Costco sells prime beef and SC does not. Costco also has much more variety.

#153 IndyPoolPlayer

IndyPoolPlayer
  • Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

I thought every supermarket that had a guy behind a meat counter would fill just about any meat request you would make of them (given the limit of their equipment). I have no idea if Walmart, Sam's club, Costco... will also do that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

W*****t doesn't sell meat. They sell water with some sort of meat flavoring.

#154 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

Some will, some won't, some I wouldn't want them to. I don't know of any other supermarkets running smokers all the time. The day before Thanksgiving they'll smoke me an organic turkey breast. Or they'll smoke a Prime Rib. They'll smoke keibasa. I've had them smoke me 5#s of chicken wings.

#155 mec

mec
  • Members
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:14 PM

Whole foods is the only chain I'm aware of that custom smokes meat and fish. I'm my area there are two primary retail supermarkets. Both will cut or grind meat or fish to customer specifications.

From a bit of Internet search it appears that both Sam's & Costco have limited customization and Walmart is all packaged only meat.

Walmarts meat does suck. But there are some prepackaged meats at specialty markets in my area that are very high end.

#156 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:19 PM

Whole foods is the only chain I'm aware of that custom smokes meat and fish. I'm my area there are two primary retail supermarkets. Both will cut or grind meat or fish to customer specifications.

I hardly ever buy fish at Whole Foods.  Santa Monica Seafood is just too close and too much better.

11720739_3130955034170_2039206743_n-1.jp

#157 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,468 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

Today's recap (so far):

I usually have a breakfast sandwich at the Airspace Lounge, but they switched from croissants to English muffins.  No thanks.

So I ordered a meat and cheese plate to go.  I didn't eat the meat and cheese; it's still in my bag.

My upgrade from SAN-DFW didn't go through, so I choked down one of AA's breakfast sandwiches back in row 9.

I got to Dallas, and as usual there wasn't enough time for train rides to/from Terminal D.  So no Centurion Lounge.  I walked over to the Admirals Club near my gate in Terminal A but it's closed for renovations until early next year.

I grabbed a to-go sandwich from CPK and choked that down at the gate.

My DFW-MIA segment didn't get upgraded either.  We took off a bit ago, and I just selected the snack box as my consolation prize and shoved it in my bag.

TAD is arriving at MIA from MUD at about the same time I am, and I guarantee he'll smell these leftover travel snacks in my bag... and they won't survive the trip from the airport to our Airbnb.

#158 IndyPoolPlayer

IndyPoolPlayer
  • Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

TAD is arriving at MIA from MUD at about the same time I am, and I guarantee he'll smell these leftover travel snacks in my bag... and they won't survive the trip from the airport to our Airbnb.

This the AirBnB that was supposed to be in Key West?

#159 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,468 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:11 AM

Homestead first for an Everglades visit.  Off the the Keys on Friday.

The ball stickage is real.

#160 CTSoxFan

CTSoxFan
  • Mod Squad
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

I hardly ever buy fish at Whole Foods.  Santa Monica Seafood is just too close and too much better.

Agree 100% on SMS.  Although I did find out that our local Albertsons sources all their seafood from SMS, and sell it for 50% less.  They even sell the sauces.

I would say it is probably likely that SMS keeps the best stuff for them and sends the lower quality to Albertsons.

More importantly, is that Mrs. Konrad?

#161 IndyPoolPlayer

IndyPoolPlayer
  • Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

Homestead first for an Everglades visit.  Off the the Keys on Friday.

The ball stickage is real.

51RKeocGQWL._SY355_.jpg

#162 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

Agree 100% on SMS.  Although I did find out that our local Albertsons sources all their seafood from SMS, and sell it for 50% less.  They even sell the sauces.

I would say it is probably likely that SMS keeps the best stuff for them and sends the lower quality to Albertsons.

That's just some chick I met at Javiers.

I know SMS supplies to restaurants and groceries.  They supply to the Pavilions by my house (which makes sense since Albertsons/Vons/Pavilions are all the same parent company)  It doesn't even compare usually.  I don't know if it is the grade that the grocery buyers get, how its handled, its age or what. (Maybe all of the above).

I don't cook fish at home a lot, so I'm not too concerned on the higher price and better selection when I do.  For instance, I've never seen Ling Cod in Pavilions.  Or Opakapaka.

#163 CTSoxFan

CTSoxFan
  • Mod Squad
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

That's just some chick I met at Javiers.

I know SMS supplies to restaurants and groceries.  They supply to the Pavilions by my house (which makes sense since Albertsons/Vons/Pavilions are all the same parent company)  It doesn't even compare usually.  I don't know if it is the grade that the grocery buyers get, how its handled, its age or what. (Maybe all of the above).

I don't cook fish at home a lot, so I'm not too concerned on the higher price and better selection when I do.  For instance, I've never seen Ling Cod in Pavilions.  Or Opakapaka.

That's funny.  I was at HH with a friend last night and she was mentioning Javier's (in crystal cove) was quite the meat market.  I would go, but the whole being married thing kinda ruins that.

I am sure the seafood being sent to the grocery stores is lower quality.  If I am in a pinch and don't want to drive to SMS I will buy fish at Sprouts (which is better than Albertsons IMO), but neither is close to SMS.

If you want meat, right down the street on Newport blvd. is the Butchery.  Some of the best meat I have ever had outside a restaurant.

#164 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

That's funny.  I was at HH with a friend last night and she was mentioning Javier's (in crystal cove) was quite the meat market.  I would go, but the whole being married thing kinda ruins that.

I am sure the seafood being sent to the grocery stores is lower quality.  If I am in a pinch and don't want to drive to SMS I will buy fish at Sprouts (which is better than Albertsons IMO), but neither is close to SMS.

If you want meat, right down the street on Newport blvd. is the Butchery.  Some of the best meat I have ever had outside a restaurant.

There's also a Butchery in Crystal Cove. And Bear Flag Fish. And Marche (although that menu doesn't float my boat).

Javiers is always full of talent. As is Banderas and Gulfstream. As is the rest of this area :D

#165 TheVig

TheVig
  • Members
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

Linguine with white clam sauce delivered to hotel room. GrubHub. Sorry no pic. I already ate it.

#166 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,468 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

Last night on the way home from the airport I stopped at McDonalds to get a QP with Cheese.  

To my surprise and delight, the second one was free.  In about an hour I will let you know how it tastes reheated.

#167 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,468 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

Last night on the way home from the airport I stopped at McDonalds to get a QP with Cheese.  

To my surprise and delight, the second one was free.  In about an hour I will let you know how it tastes reheated.

Tonight's was better than last night's.

I heated the patty by itself first, then reassembled it back into a sandwich, and then did a final run with the whole thing in the microwave.

At first I wasn't so pleased, but after it cooled for about 30 seconds it was pretty tasty.

#168 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

I cannot remember the last time I had McD's in the US. Or Burger King.

#169 CTSoxFan

CTSoxFan
  • Mod Squad
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

I have had McD exactly twice in the last 3 years (since I started eating healthier), and haven't had BK at all.  If I am going to eat like shizz on a fast food burger, I am getting In-N-Out

#170 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,468 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

I have had McD exactly twice in the last 3 years (since I started eating healthier), and haven't had BK at all.  If I am going to eat like shizz on a fast food burger, I am getting In-N-Out

Each In-N-Out location is a collection of sixty people who cannot make me the only sandwich on the menu in under ten minutes from one of the 400 paper-thin patties that were already cooking when I arrived.

McDs doesn't sell food, they sell convenience, which is exactly what I was buying.

#171 IndyPoolPlayer

IndyPoolPlayer
  • Members
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

Each In-N-Out location is a collection of sixty people who cannot make me the only sandwich on the menu in under ten minutes from one of the 400 paper-thin patties that were already cooking when I arrived.

But check out those nifty T-shirts they sell!

#172 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

In and Out is good but generally a &hit show. If I go for fast food its Carl's or Del Taco. Or Chipotle if that's considered fast food.

CV is in San Diego which is filled with awesome fast food Mexican spots

#173 credit_help

credit_help
  • Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:37 PM

In and Out is good but generally a &hit show. If I go for fast food its Carl's or Del Taco. Or Chipotle if that's considered fast food.

And taco trucks.

#174 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,468 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:41 PM

My favorite Mexican place closed in July.  RIP Don Felix Cafe in San Ysidro.  It was a hell of a drive, but always worth it...

#175 CTSoxFan

CTSoxFan
  • Mod Squad
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:55 PM

I have been in CA for 3+ years and have not gone to Del Taco. I dont see that changing anytime soon.

I consider InO the best of bad options.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.