Welcome to CreditBoards!

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to CreditBoards! Like most online communities, you must register to post in our community, but don't worry - this is a simple process requiring minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of CreditBoards by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Read These Items!

• Please note changes to the Terms of Service for Creditboards.com.  A "plain language" summary has been added to the TOS and to the registration agreement.  No other changes were made.  If you post after you read this, we consider that acceptance of the new terms.  If you have any questions concerning the new terms, please feel free to PM an admin or email admin@creditboards.com
  • If you're getting an Authentication mismatch error: Clear your cache. Log out of CB. Delete your cookie. Close your browser. Open your browser and log back in.
  • Yo!  AOL email is bouncing and they aren't giving us a way to get off their blacklist.  If you're registered with an AOL email address and you have another one you can use in your settings, please change your email on record, so you can get the notifications you're expecting.

Photo

The Dining and Food Thread

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#26 JeffeVerde

JeffeVerde
  • Members
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

CV - I'm picking DGF up at SAN at 5:30 Friday night. Any food suggestions nearby?   She's flying in from Orlando after a week of conference/trade show, so low-key and easy-access are the order of the day.  Have you been to the Butcher Shop off the 163 at Claremont?  We see it every time we drive to/from the airport, and this is the first time that we're driving by at dinner time.   

#27 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:30 PM

CV - I'm picking DGF up at SAN at 5:30 Friday night. Any food suggestions nearby?   She's flying in from Orlando after a week of conference/trade show, so low-key and easy-access are the order of the day.  Have you been to the Butcher Shop off the 163 at Claremont?  We see it every time we drive to/from the airport, and this is the first time that we're driving by at dinner time.

I have been to the Butcher Shop. Old school steakhouse. Dark and intimate. Food was good.

Nearer to the airport, the Crack Shack, mentioned above, was really good. Casual. Fried. Yum. 

Arrivederci in Hillcrest is my favorite Italian and parking shouldn’t be too bad on a weeknight.

C-Level Lounge is also pretty great and right on the harbor with its own parking lot.

Point Loma?  Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern or — kind of a dive bar — Harbor Town Pub.  Their bulgogi burrito is so good it will wilt your permanent.

Edited by cv91915, 27 September 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#28 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:10 PM

I am heading back to San Diego tomorrow. 

No room service (long story, but I’m at a subprime Courtyard), so I punted and went to my GrubHub app.

Tonight will be an order of bruschetta and an order of 10 wings from La Bettola in Arlington, plus some leftover tortellini salad from Bozzelli’s last night.

There’s no way I’m going to eat all this.

Uv9jP1Z.jpg

Edited by cv91915, 27 September 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#29 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 13,308 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

K and CT: Do you like Persian food?

I’ve been to Darya (at South Coast Plaza) a couple of times, and the fesenjon is particularly toothsome.

I love Persian food (koobideh is one of my favorite foods) and Darya is the best in OC by far. They have a good happy hour as well. Darya is also currently in the Uber Visa Offers for 10% back.

I can never remember the name of it, but they have this one stew with little yellow peas or lentils in it that you serve over crunchy rice.

I just moved one of my businesses to Santa Ana, so I plan on hitting up the South Coast Metro restaurants/happy hours with increased frequency being I have to go right by them on the way home.

#30 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 13,308 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

We have been to Selanne's.  Thought it was excellent as well.  Definitely a better experience than Mastro's, for sure.  If you want something a little more casual they have a great burger and wine pairing at Capital Grille for $25.

Haven't been to that place in the Marriott, but there is a really cool speakeasy in the Anaheim packing house.  Good for drinks, skip the food.

I eat the Fleming's $8 happy hour prime burger and shoestring fries a couple times a week. There is not a better deal on food in Newport Beach IMO. I'll have to check out the Capital Burger.

Edited by Konrad2012, 29 September 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#31 TheVig

TheVig
  • Members
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

I am heading back to San Diego tomorrow. 

No room service (long story, but I’m at a subprime Courtyard), so I punted and went to my GrubHub app.

Tonight will be an order of bruschetta and an order of 10 wings from La Bettola in Arlington, plus some leftover tortellini salad from Bozzelli’s last night.

There’s no way I’m going to eat all this.

Uv9jP1Z.jpg

Love me some GrubHub. It's helped me a many a time when I was too lazy to leave the hotel.

#32 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

I have been to the Butcher Shop. Old school steakhouse. Dark and intimate. Food was good.

Nearer to the airport, the Crack Shack, mentioned above, was really good. Casual. Fried. Yum. 

Arrivederci in Hillcrest is my favorite Italian and parking shouldn’t be too bad on a weeknight.

C-Level Lounge is also pretty great and right on the harbor with its own parking lot.

Point Loma?  Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern or — kind of a dive bar — Harbor Town Pub.  Their bulgogi burrito is so good it will wilt your permanent.

Where did you end up eating?

#33 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

For brunch on Sunday I’m taking my mom to Bertrand at Mister A’s.

https://www.asrestau...t/virtual-tour/

This is a San Diego institution, yet somehow I’ve never managed a visit.

#34 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 13,308 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

Also went to 28 in Irvine (owner is Shirley from last season of TC) and was not impressed.  Food was average and service below.

I drove from my house to Office Depot last night and happened to take that little road between Jamboree and MacArthur that runs in front of the Google Campus. And I saw the sign for Twenty Eight. What a horrible location for a nice restaurant.

#35 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

I haven't quite figured out why I never get tired of this breakfast:

• Rounded 1/2 cup of oatmeal (not the fast-cooking crap)
  • 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • Small handful of raisins
  • Splenda to taste (I don't like it very sweet... so < 1 tablespoon for me)
  • 1 capful (from a 4-ounce-sized bottle) of Neilsen-Massey Tahitian vanilla (YES, IT MATTERS) 

Microwave in a largish bowl for 12 minutes, then add:

• 1 - 1.5 tablespoons Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon (YES, IT MATTERS)

#36 TheVig

TheVig
  • Members
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

<p>

• 1 capful (from a 4-ounce-sized bottle) of Neilsen-Massey Tahitian vanilla (YES, IT MATTERS) 

I agree. It matters.

#37 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

<p>

I agree. It matters.

I didn't realize that cinnamon or vanilla could be this good.  Until I found these.  :good:

#38 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:04 PM

My mom just got back from their summer house, so I took her with me when I did some errands today.

For lunch we went to Harbor Town Pub, one of my favorite neighborhood places anywhere in San Diego.  They have my very favorite burrito anywhere, and it's far from what you'd expect:

mrOaQo3.png

Mom ordered the Pho-King Amazing:

45kRC6F.png

We split both, and both were outstanding.  

The bulgogi burrito:

ymprZVh.jpg

Edited by cv91915, 30 September 2017 - 07:04 PM.

#39 C316

C316
  • Members
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:51 PM

My mom just got back from their summer house, so I took her with me when I did some errands today.

For lunch we went to Harbor Town Pub, one of my favorite neighborhood places anywhere in San Diego.  They have my very favorite burrito anywhere, and it's far from what you'd expect:

mrOaQo3.png

Mom ordered the Pho-King Amazing:

45kRC6F.png

We split both, and both were outstanding.  

The bulgogi burrito:

ymprZVh.jpg

This burrito I must try, it sounds and looks amazing!!!!

#40 cashnocredit

cashnocredit

cash AND 800 credit

• Members
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

My lunch plans fell through, so I walked over to Legal Sea Foods because it was close.

I have violent, unpleasant physical reactions to most seafood, so I’m having the grilled salmon, with brown rice and broccoli on the side.

I’m having a flashback to my only other visit to a Legal Sea Foods (in Boston), 20 years ago, where over dinner conversation I learned that many swordfish carry so many parasites that there is only one salvageable steak in the entire fish.  Gross.

TMI

#41 JeffeVerde

JeffeVerde
  • Members
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:51 PM

C-Level -- DGF got in at 5pm, and after a week of conferences and 7 hours of flying, the patio at sunset was the perfect attitude adjuster.  Thanks for the suggestion

#42 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

C-Level -- DGF got in at 5pm, and after a week of conferences and 7 hours of flying, the patio at sunset was the perfect attitude adjuster.  Thanks for the suggestion

Nice.  I need to drop in for a Skirts on Fire salad again one of these days.  I have a friend who's a pilot for AA, and when he gets to SD and I'm in town, we usually have lunch there.

#43 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:04 PM

Mr. A’s was outstanding for brunch.  They had a limited menu for San Diego Restaurant Week, but we tried it anyway.

Everything was perfect.  The views are amazing, the food was delicious and the service was exceptional.

View 

GIcNEul.jpg

rWE6Gbp.jpg

Eggs Benedict with short ribs

qcYeAgC.jpg

Edited by cv91915, 01 October 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#44 CTSoxFan

CTSoxFan
  • Mod Squad
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

K and CT: Do you like Persian food?

Ive been to Darya (at South Coast Plaza) a couple of times, and the fesenjon is particularly toothsome.

I love Persian food (koobideh is one of my favorite foods) and Darya is the best in OC by far. They have a good happy hour as well. Darya is also currently in the Uber Visa Offers for 10% back.

I can never remember the name of it, but they have this one stew with little yellow peas or lentils in it that you serve over crunchy rice.

I just moved one of my businesses to Santa Ana, so I plan on hitting up the South Coast Metro restaurants/happy hours with increased frequency being I have to go right by them on the way home.
I love Persian food, but I have been spoiled. A good friend is Persian and he makes homemade stuff for us that is fantastic. Hard to top what he does.

K - I have been to quite a few places around SCP. Mentioned Vaca before. Water Grill not worth it IMO. Cap Grille is always solid. Down the street at the camp there is Havana which was really good and across the way there are some good lunch options like Umami burger and Vitaly. A few other places at the camp I want to try but havent yet.

Had an amazing meal in Budapest last week, will share details tomorrow.

Edited by CTSoxFan, 02 October 2017 - 11:23 PM.

#45 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

What's the Matter with Applebee's?  

The cultural and economic decline of the suburban sit-down chain

#46 CTSoxFan

CTSoxFan
  • Mod Squad
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:23 PM

The internet would run out of space in the amount of words it would take to sufficiently cover this topic.  Or simply put...everything!

#47 Konrad2012

Konrad2012

Bang Influence

• Members
  • 13,308 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

Went to Il Barone last night. Location is anemic, but food is always oustanding.

Some pizze with ricotta, prosciutto and white truffle oil; a great Cesar's salad that tasted like one made tableside; Smoked duck ravioli ;kurobuta pork chop with brandy peppercorn sauce.

Brought a bottle of Seghesio Rockpile appelation Zinfandel.

#48 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

Went to Il Barone last night. Location is anemic, but food is always oustanding.
Some pizze with ricotta, prosciutto and white truffle oil; a great Cesar's salad that tasted like one made tableside; Smoked duck ravioli ;kurobuta pork chop with brandy peppercorn sauce.

Damn that sounds good.

#49 cv91915

cv91915

Hit Man <3 ♡

• Members
  • 30,516 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

Tonight:

YwWxeDq.jpg

#50 CTSoxFan

CTSoxFan
  • Mod Squad
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

I'll take good food and shite location over the opposite any day of the week.

Have never been there, I will have to give it a try. We are going on the 28th according to DW.  I almost always bring my own bottle, would rather bring a good wine and pay corkage than overpay at the restaurant.  I have never been to a restaurant where the cost of a bottle on the menu was less than the cost of the same bottle bought at retail plus any corkage fee charged.

Edited by CTSoxFan, 04 October 2017 - 01:47 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© Copyright 2003 - 2015 Creditboards.com. All rights reserved. No portion of this site may be reproduced without explicit permission from the owners. The content of creditboards.com is subject solely to the personal whim of its admins. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to remove any and all posts or comments, at any time, for any reason which takes our entirely capricious fancy, or for no particular reason whatsoever, without restriction. Comments or questions regarding the site may be addressed to admin@creditboards.com.