Sign in to follow this  
hlburi

And we wonder why stores keep asking for ID on CCs

http://www.click2houston.com/money/4480805/detail.html

Are Stores Looking Out For Credit Card Fraud?

Stores Say They Train Employees To Be Watchful

POSTED: 4:25 pm CDT May 10, 2005

UPDATED: 10:55 am CDT May 12, 2005

BOSTON -- With credit card fraud on the rise, WCVB-TV in Boston decided to test if store clerks check to see if credit cards really belong to the person using them.

In the first test, a shopper walked into Circuit City and bought several hundred dollars of merchandise with a credit card. The shopper swiped the card and walked out with the merchandise.

The cashier didn’t ask any questions about the card. In fact, she didn't even look at it. She had no way of knowing that the shopper wasn't using her own card -- she was using a card provided by a reporter from the television station.

The station shopped at some of the biggest chain stores in the area using other people's credit cards and repeatedly found no one checking.

At Walgreens, the female shopper swiped a man's credit card and signed her name -- and no one noticed. The same thing happened at The Home Depot and Stop and Shop.

"I always signed my legal name," said shopper Sarah Stolper. "So the signature never matched the name on the credit card."

At Stop and Shop, Stolper used her own store loyalty card and somone else's credit card. Again, no one noticed the discrepancy.

"No one stopped me at the Stop and Shop. As you can see, not even a cashier walked over. Nothing," Stolper said.

Stolper experienced the same thing at BJ's Wholesale Club. No one noticed different names on the membership and credit cards.

The only exception was Best Buy. When the clerk noticed the credit card wasn't signed on the back, the shopper was asked for identification.

"I'm thinking, 'We're going to get caught.' I'm really thinking this is going to be it," said Stolper.

But it wasn't. Stolper said she was doing a story for the television station and the clerk never checked further.

"There I go with $600 worth of iPods," she said.

When the station called the retailers, they said they train their employees to be watchful, but they depend on the credit card company's sophisticated technology to instantly register stolen cards and stop a sale.

When the station called the banks, they confirmed the technology and added it has drastically cut down on retail fraud.

The companies said their main fraud concentration now is online, where signatures are never required.

I had an interesting conversation with a customer. He said he tested the signature theory on his own card. First, no one ever checks his i.d. and second he went around signing with "stolen card", "not me", and even made random squares and circles. Nothing was ever said! I had my cc's stolen several years ago and before I reported it (1hour had elapsed) they ran up $1000's on my cards. I went off on several store managers and they said they don't care because they are only liable for $50 if it is fraud. That is comforting.

About 5 years ago I dropped my wallet when I got out of the car at a friend's apartment at night. I didn't realize it, drove home. Next morning I discover it's gone. Go over and check around parking area. I find the wallet thrown in the bushes, cards missing. I called the various banks/credit grantors and discover that in just a few hours, the scum suckers had gone to a gas station and filled up all their buddie's cars with over $100 in fuel. Then went on a shopping spree at Walmart. Those cashiers NEVER ask for ID. Since then, I make sure they ask me for my ID. If they don't, I go off on them and let them know that if their cards were ever stolen they'd want to make sure the dingbat (yes, I call them that) cashier asks for ID.

oh boy this topic again.

(resisting the urge to comment)  :)

I know. But my point is, this was posted just today on a local news channels website. So now more people will be demanding that places check for IDs and more stores will think it is ok...even though it is against Mastercard and Visa policies.

I have myself signed those "electronic" windows as "ScumBum", thief, notme, etc and NEVER been challenged...

Jerry

About 5 years ago I dropped my wallet when I got out of the car at a friend's apartment at night. I didn't realize it, drove home. Next morning I discover it's gone. Go over and check around parking area. I find the wallet thrown in the bushes, cards missing. I called the various banks/credit grantors and discover that in just a few hours, the scum suckers had gone to a gas station and filled up all their buddie's cars with over $100 in fuel. Then went on a shopping spree at Walmart. Those cashiers NEVER ask for ID. Since then, I make sure they ask me for my ID. If they don't, I go off on them and let them know that if their cards were ever stolen they'd want to make sure the dingbat (yes, I call them that) cashier asks for ID.

But why do you care? You report it stolen. The issuers eat the charges.

I swear....I SWEAR....I PROMISE

I am trying not to say anything.

OK...

I'm not going to say anything :)

Dead Horses, I beat thee not.

BUT:

SharpShooter (and other inquiring minds that don't know of the "debate"), please, at your convenience, read these threads

1. Wal-Mart violates Visa/MC policies

2. Requirement to show ID, VISA/MC policies

See? I didn't say anything. Aren't you guys proud of me? :rofl:

THE STORE IS REQUIRED TO CHECK THE SIGNATURE ON THE SIGNATURE SLIP WITH THE SIGNATURE ON THE CREDIT CARD!!!

"IF" they don't compare the signatures...they are taking a risk

WHAT DOES ASKING FOR ID HAVE TO WITH ANYTHING???

I swear....I SWEAR....I PROMISE

I am trying not to say anything.

OK...

I'm not going to say anything :(

Dead Horses, I beat thee not.

BUT:

SharpShooter (and other inquiring minds that don't know of the "debate"), please, at your convenience, read these threads

1. Wal-Mart violates Visa/MC policies

2. Requirement to show ID, VISA/MC policies

See? I didn't say anything. Aren't you guys proud of me? :angry:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

THE SIGNATURE ON THE CARD IS THE ID

If you are one of those people with CID...SEE ID...or SEE LICENSE you are asking the business to accept a VOID CARD!!!

CARD VOID IF NOT SIGNED

THE STORE IS REQUIRED TO CHECK THE SIGNATURE ON THE SIGNATURE SLIP WITH THE SIGNATURE ON THE CREDIT CARD!!!

Because some people don't sign their cards and when they are lost or stolen the thief just signs the cardholder's name in their own writing style. No forging of a signature needed. I am surprised credit card companies don't require this to help prevent fraud. Less fraud= better apr's! Wal-Mart requests my ID everytime, I use a CC. Maybe if I knew your real first name George and your store location I could tell the cashier and/or CSM's to call you at your store and you could set them straight?

Because some people don't sign their cards and when they are lost or stolen the thief just signs the cardholder's name in their own writing style. No forging of a signature needed. I am surprised credit card companies don't require this to help prevent fraud. Less fraud= better apr's! Wal-Mart requests my ID everytime, I use a CC. Maybe if I knew your real first name George and your store location I could tell the cashier and/or CSM's to call you at your store and you could set them straight?

Hmm, if the CC wasn't signed it shouldn't have been able to be used (hence what GEORGE is saying)....If people would sign their CC's the minute they got them, that would be less common...But that's just my opinion.

for goodness sake can we please NOT have another extensive thread about either signing or not signing the back of a dang CC.

PLEASE, purty please?

This has been discussed ad nauseum (sp)!

Wal-Mart requests my ID everytime, I use a CC.

Wal-Mart near me NEVERS ask to see card....OR ID.. (Scarey)

If I refuse to show my ID and they refuse my sale on that point...they violate MC/Visa rules...and thus can be denied the right to take thier cards :?

What a delima LOL...

Jerry

Hmm, if the CC wasn't signed it shouldn't have been able to be used (hence what GEORGE is saying)....If people would sign their CC's the minute they got them, that would be less common...But that's just my opinion.

When the credit card company has a request to call sticker on the new card it says SIGN IT!!!

When they have a "REAL" PERSON answer the call they always say "REMOVE THE STICKER FROM THE FRONT OF THE CARD AND SIGN YOUR NAME ON THE BACK IN THE SIGNATURE STRIP"

THEY DON'T SAY WRITE CID or SEE ID or SEE LICENSE ON THE BACK OF THE CARD!!!!

When the credit card company has a request to call sticker on the new card it says SIGN IT!!!

When they have a "REAL" PERSON answer the call they always say "REMOVE THE STICKER FROM THE FRONT OF THE CARD AND SIGN YOUR NAME ON THE BACK IN THE SIGNATURE STRIP"

My cards are signed? So why are they asking for my ID? Not to pick on Wal-Mart, but I guess next time I will test them and if they refuse the sale I will be calling my Attorney and VISA/MC.

My cards are signed? So why are they asking for my ID? Not to pick on Wal-Mart, but I guess next time I will test them and if they refuse the sale I will be calling my Attorney and VISA/MC.

Its not illegal for them to ask for your ID/License...it is just against MC/VISA policy...besides ID/Licenses can be "FORGED" too LOL...

Jerry

Its not illegal for them to ask for your ID/License...it is just against MC/VISA policy...besides ID/Licenses can be "FORGED" too LOL...

Jerry

It's not illegal AS LONG AS they are applying their policy to all, not just some of their customers.

Not my business james..but do you belong to some group who on a reg basis face discrimination?

If so..I say go for it..contact your lawyer..

Go to Visa/MC site and print off the policy they have on their websites:

MAybe syand "aside" and watch others go about their business with cards and see if they get "Carded" too...then go thru with a LARGE purchase also...(you can always return item anywas...and if nobody else you saw get carded and you do..then is a good sign of "Profiling"..and that is AGAINST the law.

Jerry

I hate it when people use the "race card," but if the shoe fits...

I am glad when merchants ask for my ID, just don't single me out for whatever reason. Be CONSISTENT! Also, for the record I love WAL-MART!!! :blush:

All this fraud is one more reason I like my BOA card. It has our pictures on it. DH had mine by mistake once and tried to use it and was refused.

Well considering most transactions are self service now, it wouldnt make a lot of sense for them to ever even see the card. I mean many stores you swipe it yourself.

And, un, mail Order? Online Shopping? Over the phone? This has always happened for years and never required anyone physcially inspecting a credit card.

Then you have completely self serve grocery stores, post office,etc.

Hey, what about when you get gas? Is someone from the gas station supposed to run out and inspect your credit card?

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    JerHawk
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines