Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Wal-mart violates VISA/MC policies...

The last post in this topic was posted 5591 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

If someone voluntarily shows an ID, obviously, they are not a thief.

That's just not true. Lots of seasoned criminals steal more then credit cards, They steal entire Id's, they would have a fake DL with their picture and your information. In the world of computers , it wouldn't be that hard to do.

I think that is the entire point. By giving someone both the credit card and the DL, you have given them almost all the information required to steal your identity. Then again, one can buy information on almost anyone.

Possibly, but thieves are a lot more likely to use a CC at a store that doesn't request ID.

Show me the stats on how many people have had their identity stolen as a result of showing an ID to a store clerk.

That's why I'm so confused on this subject. I get both sides and agree with both sides. Like I said earlier, I sit on the fence. I would show ID if asked, even if it's against Visa policy. I don't see much harm in it, then again I understand why others feel the way they do.

Regardless, it doesn't apply to the OP, she was using someone elses card. Why not use the debit card with the pin is what I don't understand. The pin is your proof of ID. Sort of like the signature. ( odd but I would never show ID if I used a debit pin combo, why do I feel different with a credit card)

Like I said, I'm just odd.

Such a nice argument :D

But getting back, somewhat, on topic.

I don't know for a fact...but I have a feeling that the reason that the policy to go by signature and NOT ID is due to discrimination lawsuits.

The merchants would claim it is visa/mc/whatever policy that they check ID....

Well, the merchant only checks ID's of minorities or folks that come in wearing rag-tag clothes, or guys with long hair that need a shave, etc...well there is your discrimination suit right there.

To prevent this, no ID other than legal signature (the one on the back of your card) is required.

Also, how many peoples DL actually look like them? hair color changes, people gain/loose weight...some even have sex change operations.

Drivers licenses can be forged, fake ID's can be bought, etc, etc.

One thing that doesn't change much is your signature (unless you change your name). even then, A highly qualified handwriting expert can tell if you signed it or not, even if you signed someone else’s name.

So really, requesting ID really doesn't protect you that much...It just gives you a false sense of security.

Im not going to pick a side one way or another on this issue...I don't have that much of a problem with the few times I get ID'd...Unless, like I said before, if they don't ID others then suddenly decide to ID me...then I get upset. (And no way would I ever give my fingerprint…that is just too insulting)

Also, folks need to remember that there are things that they require ID for other than just Ciggies and Alcohol...spray paint, thinner, and a whole bunch of other stuff is also on the list for requesting ID (I won't EVEN go into that stupid law here). So before jumping the gun and getting upset…see if there is something in your shopping cart that might require an ID.

I think that eventually, CC companies will start offering a PIN number to consumers who are interested. That way people aren't asked to show ID AND it offers an extra level of protection to the consumer. Personally, I am all for it.

Personally, I'm sitting on the fence on this issue. What bothers me though are the retailers that ask for your DL and then type the DL number into their register. Just what happens with that info? Now they not only have your credit card info but your DL info to go along with it!

Personally, I'm sitting on the fence on this issue.  What bothers me though are the retailers that ask for your DL and then type the DL number into their register.  Just what happens with that info?  Now they not only have your credit card info but your DL info to go along with it!

I completely agree with that! They have NO reason to collect the information.

I think that eventually, CC companies will start offering a PIN number to consumers who are interested.  That way people aren't asked to show ID AND it offers an extra level of protection to the consumer.  Personally, I am all for it.

I'm thinking that if enough people complain, VISA and others will just change their policy and make it acceptable to ask for ID. There, problem solved (from their point of view). Be careful what you ask for or complain about.

Personally, this is one I can accept, though I do think it's silly to go to the expense of putting a machine for me to swipe my own card then ask for it anyway to look at it. If they're going to handle the card anyway, why don't they just swipe it like they always used to?

I think that eventually, CC companies will start offering a PIN number to consumers who are interested.  That way people aren't asked to show ID AND it offers an extra level of protection to the consumer.  Personally, I am all for it.

Yes, but most banks "strongly" suggest that when at a busy store such as walmart or especially around holidays to use your debit card as a credit card for your own physical saftey. You become a prime target for robbery when you use your debit card at a store. About the same as pulling out a large wad of money. Anyone standing behind you can see you are punching in a pin, the second you walk out of the store, you are at risk...especially if there is an ATM nearby.

Personally, I'm sitting on the fence on this issue.  What bothers me though are the retailers that ask for your DL and then type the DL number into their register.  Just what happens with that info?  Now they not only have your credit card info but your DL info to go along with it!

No, that would be a different story, but I've never seen any merchant do that. It would have to be in their software, so it should be common at those merchants. Who have you seen do this?

Edited by robb

Yes, but most banks "strongly" suggest that when at a busy store such as walmart or especially around holidays to use your debit card as a credit card for your own physical saftey.  You become a prime target for robbery when you use your debit card at a store.  About the same as pulling out a large wad of money.  Anyone standing behind you can see you are punching in a pin, the second you walk out of the store, you are at risk...especially if there is an ATM nearby.

It simply amazes me all the people I see punching in their PINs in full view and with seemingly no concern of their surroundings. I have sometimes been able to read every number with no effort at all. People look at me strangely when I hover over the keypad and cover their view with my other hand as I punch mine in. I guess they think I'm paranoid. Well... I am. I don't know these other people and if they're trustworthy, or not.

Please keep in mind that this is for the CUSTOMER'S PROTECTION. It isn't something a business does to be a pain in the rear.

I already feel quite protected from liability with credit card use. It's one of the reasons I like CC over debit. I fail to understand how showing the license protects me in any way.

-LB

Possibly, but thieves are a lot more likely to use a CC at a store that doesn't request ID.

Show me the stats on how many people have had their identity stolen as a result of showing an ID to a store clerk.

How can you ever be sure the way your identity is stolen? It would be impossible to produce accurate statistics here, IMO.

But let me put it this way. Who is more likely to obtain my address, drivers license number, and date of birth... A) The clerk that I give my license to or :) the clerk that I do not give my license to?

It's a fact that Clerk B is going to have less of a chance of getting that info. So by not showing my license, I know that I am doing everything in my power to keep that information private.

-LB

Please keep in mind that this is for the CUSTOMER'S PROTECTION. It isn't something a business does to be a pain in the rear.

I already feel quite protected from liability with credit card use. It's one of the reasons I like CC over debit. I fail to understand how showing the license protects me in any way.

-LB

Might be BEATING THAT DEAD HORSE...but I HAVE A LICENSE TO DRIVE not a PERMIT TO USE A CREDIT CARD

I already feel quite protected from liability with credit card use.  It's one of the reasons I like CC over debit.  I fail to understand how showing the license protects me in any way.

-LB

If you enjoy spending time disputing bogus charges, it probably doesn't affect you at all. It could save you from a stolen card being used in the first place. Or, at least lessen the impact. Plus, if the stores aren't having to make up for as much stolen merchandise, maybe prices won't go up as fast. Theoretically, at least. It does impact you, and not always directly.

Well, this wasn't meant to be a debate thread, just really wanted to know if I should contact VISA/MC or wal-mart corporate offices, or both?

Its amazing how a simple question can generate a 7 page thread.

I wish I had your talent! :)

No, that would be a different story, but I've never seen any merchant do that. It would have to be in their software, so it should be common at those merchants. Who have you seen do this?

We don't have any way to do that

A CHECK IS A DIFFERENT MATTER...we do that all the time---CONTRARRY TO POPULAR BELIEF...A CHECK IS NOT CASH

I already feel quite protected from liability with credit card use.  It's one of the reasons I like CC over debit.  I fail to understand how showing the license protects me in any way.

-LB

If you enjoy spending time disputing bogus charges, it probably doesn't affect you at all. It could save you from a stolen card being used in the first place. Or, at least lessen the impact. Plus, if the stores aren't having to make up for as much stolen merchandise, maybe prices won't go up as fast. Theoretically, at least. It does impact you, and not always directly.

SHOPLIFTING is a bigger problem than credit card fraud ever will be

CHECKING ID AT POS WILL ELIMINATE ALL CREDIT CARD FRAUD...THAT IS AMAZING

SHOPLIFTING is a bigger problem than credit card fraud ever will be

CHECKING ID AT POS WILL ELIMINATE ALL CREDIT CARD FRAUD...THAT IS AMAZING

Not outright shoplifting, Gomer, theft of merchandise through the use of stolen credit cards. Who pays for a chargeback? Legitimate consumers, eventually. Those costs don't just magically disappear. They always get covered by the rest of us, regardless of what method was used to steal it.

Where did you get "eliminate"?

Personally, I'm sitting on the fence on this issue.  What bothers me though are the retailers that ask for your DL and then type the DL number into their register.  Just what happens with that info? 

They sell it. And they will not hesitate to tell you that they now own the information you voluntarily gave to them if you call em on it.

SURPRISE--SURPRISE--SURPRISE

I could take it as another RIP ON ME

Ya could.

Have you not been feelin' the love, lately? Where's Richard Simmons when you need a hug? :grin:

In case you missed the thread http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91050

The owners of the board have asked that the GEORGE bashing stop.

That was uncalled for (the GOMER) regardless of whether we asked that the George-bashing stop or not. That earned you your first warning. We don't like name-calling on here, period. It's against the TOS.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    EmpressJahdaya
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines