Sign in to follow this  
joshbgosh

Wal-mart violates VISA/MC policies...

I do not understand everyone's argument. 

What are you going to do about their policy, complain to the police, your congressman, or all the other untouchables that support Walmart?

That's all we can do is vent on this board, b/c Walmart is like dealing with the devil.  Walmart is always going to get away with it, they just pay up when someone balks and later advises they will in some way 'support the cause of the former adversary'.

"IF" a business asks for ID on a signed credit card and you LOVE TO DO IT...THEN SHOW IT!!!

"IF" YOU DON'T WANT TO SHOW ID ON A SIGNED CREDIT CARD...YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO WALK OUT AND LEAVE EVERYTHING RIGHT THERE!!!

YOU "CAN" NOTIFY YOUR CREDIT CARD BANK and/or VISA/MC OF THE VIOLATION

NAME OF THE BUSINESS

DATE

TIME

ADDRESS

CITY

STATE

PHONE NUMBER

I'LL IGNORE THE "DEVIL" FLAME

Edited by GEORGE

I love this concept of "It's against Visa/MC policy." Unless a rash of CBers have suddenly started to work for Visa/MC, I really can't imagine what it has to do with you and why you would be concerned about the contract between two other companies.

If Visa needs to protect themselves against this infraction, then they're welcome to, but the rule is a bit anachronistic. I assume it was originally instituted to make sure Visa/MC customers weren't treated as secondary to or was processed more slowly than other forms of payment, but I think that credit cards are pretty secure in our society now.

I really can't get worked up over this, and, as has been noted, the OP's complaint is unfounded because it wasn't her card and the signature verification (that is not just permitted, but is required) would have resulted in the same outcome.

Wow what stores are we shopping at that we should be afraid to show ID?

Walmart

I DON'T HAVE TO SHOW ID...MY SIGNED (WITH MY NAME) IS THE ID

(PER CREDIT CARD POLICY)

Yes, we understand that. Most would argue that the signature doesn't cut it. Look at that guys gag site again where he drew pictures.

I think you have a false sense of security, or you are just stubborn.

PLEASE PUT ME ON IGNORE AND WE WILL BOTH BE HAPPY!!!

Why? You don't like when someone disagrees with you?

You are calling me WRONG for going by the written credit card rules

YOU LIKE TO SHOW ID--DON'T LET ME STOP YOU!!!

BUT DON'T EXPECT ME TO SHOW ID WITH MY SIGNED CREDIT CARD!!!

When a contract between two companies (both of which are in business for YOU) affects you, you have a stake in it. If you do not like one policy vs. the other you CAN choose to do something, especially if they have a program in place (ie a complaint division).

That's just how I see it. It would be no different than my dad saying "angeleyeskkhr--you don't have to do this" and my fiance saying "angeleyeskkhr--you HAVE to do this" (same "this" implied)...

[edited to add:] As for the op, she's stated NUMEROUS times that it also occurred when she tried to check out with her OWN credit card (btw, she was au on the husbands, and if the card numbers were the same--I don't *think* it would have been a problem with the sig's--it depends on how the bank does their AU cards.

Edited by angeleyeskkhr

The issue isn't whether showing ID prevents fraud. The issue is that merchants who engage in this policy are in violation of their agreements with certain card issuers. If Visa and Mastercard consider a valid, signed card sufficient ID to complete a transaction, then so be it. A merchant cannot ask you for supplemental ID, PERIOD.

And since when has a drivers license become the de facto ID standard? I guess about the time the SS number became the de facto national ID number.

There are existing laws and rules in place governing fraud. If a fraudulent transaction takes place, and all the proper rules of the transaction were followed, the merchant is covered, the bank is covered, and the consumer is covered. I for one, prefer to let the existing rules and laws deal with the potential problem. Allowing merchants to do as they want will only make things worse.

This is just another example of our privacy being chipped away, and our freedoms slowly usurped. If we're not careful, we'll wake up one day and find all those little chinks in the armor of liberty have eroded that very armor away.

JerseyBaby Posted Today, 02:07 PM

The issue isn't whether showing ID prevents fraud. The issue is that merchants who engage in this policy are in violation of their agreements with certain card issuers. If Visa and Mastercard consider a valid, signed card sufficient ID to complete a transaction, then so be it. A merchant cannot ask you for supplemental ID, PERIOD.

And since when has a drivers license become the de facto ID standard? I guess about the time the SS number became the de facto national ID number.

There are existing laws and rules in place governing fraud. If a fraudulent transaction takes place, and all the proper rules of the transaction were followed, the merchant is covered, the bank is covered, and the consumer is covered. I for one, prefer to let the existing rules and laws deal with the potential problem. Allowing merchants to do as they want will only make things worse.

This is just another example of our privacy being chipped away, and our freedoms slowly usurped. If we're not careful, we'll wake up one day and find all those little chinks in the armor of liberty have eroded that very armor away.

That's true! I'm not allowed to use my student ID when providing ID (which only shows my name).

I love this concept of "It's against Visa/MC policy."  Unless a rash of CBers have suddenly started to work for Visa/MC, I really can't imagine what it has to do with you and why you would be concerned about the contract between two other companies.

If Visa needs to protect themselves against this infraction, then they're welcome to, but the rule is a bit anachronistic.  I assume it was originally instituted to make sure Visa/MC customers weren't treated as secondary to or was processed more slowly than other forms of payment, but I think that credit cards are pretty secure in our society now.

I really can't get worked up over this, and, as has been noted, the OP's complaint is unfounded because it wasn't her card and the signature verification (that is not just permitted, but is required) would have resulted in the same outcome.

I AM A CREDIT CARD CUSTOMER...HAVE BEEN FOR 26+ YEARS!!!

I think I know a little about credit cards...

I also have received information from VISA/MC about accepting cards and the rules and what can be asked for and what can't...I ALSO HAVE DONE EXTENSIVE RESEARCH ON THE SUBJECT...ALSO I KNOW THAT THE CARD SAYS "VOID IF NOT SIGNED"

CID

SEE LICENSE

SEE ID

ARE NOT VALID SIGNATURES...SO THE CARD IS VOID

BY SIGNING THE CARD YOU AGREE TO ALLOW THE MERCHANT TO CHARGE YOUR ACCOUNT...AND YOU ALSO AGREE TO THE CREDIT CARD POLICIES

Well, I only read the first 4 pages, but how is the signature on the back of the card protecting the consumer from anything!?!?! If someone finds my CC (which is signed btw) all they have to do is practice it for an hour or two and they are good to go. That is like requiring ATM cards to have the PIN number written on the back of the card. At least when someone checks my ID I know they are making a reasonable effort to confirm that the person using the card is me.

The POINT is.... it is NOT up to the Store to do any else but verify the signature matches and requiring the patron to produce ID is against Visa/MC rules....

Well, I only read the first 4 pages, but how is the signature on the back of the card protecting the consumer from anything!?!?!  If someone finds my CC (which is signed btw) all they have to do is practice it for an hour or two and they are good to go.  That is like requiring ATM cards to have the PIN number written on the back of the card.  At least when someone checks my ID I know they are making a reasonable effort to confirm that the person using the card is me.

Well, I only read the first 4 pages, but how is the signature on the back of the card protecting the consumer from anything!?!?!  If someone finds my CC (which is signed btw) all they have to do is practice it for an hour or two and they are good to go.  That is like requiring ATM cards to have the PIN number written on the back of the card.  At least when someone checks my ID I know they are making a reasonable effort to confirm that the person using the card is me.

YOU DON'T EVER WRITE THE PIN NUMBER ON THE ATM CARD!!!

I WON'T STOP ANYONE FROM SHOWING ID!!!

BUT DON'T MAKE ME SHOW IT ON MY SIGNED CREDIT CARD!!!

The Wal*Marts at which I shop seem to have something programmed into the registers to ask for certain info or to direct cashier to verify info. Since I'm the only one using my card, the usual request is to "verify signature," when it goes over a certain amount. Usually the cashier keeps the card while I sign the slip, and then he/she compares signatures.

I don't work at Walmart but the company I work for has this random feature inputed into the register software. The computer will tell me if I need to ask for an ID and to verify signatures. It's a given that if the card is not signed or it says SEE ID, I ask but there are those times when the computer tells me that I must do this and in order for me to proceed I must input a DL#. This sucks for the students who forget their DL and only have a student ID.

Please keep in mind that this is for the CUSTOMER'S PROTECTION. It isn't something a business does to be a pain in the rear.

YOU "CAN" NOTIFY YOUR CREDIT CARD BANK and/or VISA/MC OF THE VIOLATION

Walmart has evidently been doing this for months. Do ya think anyone with authority has taken notice by now? No one's gotten 'hurt' by it yet, only until then will someone lift a finger. Alert the local paper, 'cause Visa/Mastercard are not going to lose business with a behemoth like Wal-Mart over this issue until Walmart starts to lose business, and that's not going to happen any time soon. The best you can do is walk away and leave their crap at the register to show your disgust.

George, you are missing my point. One would be a fool to put his/her PIN on the back of an ATM card because that is all the thief needs to withdraw funds. I am saying that by signing the back of your CC, you are giving a thief all they need to use it at a store that doesnt check ID. I personally would rather have a store decline the card because the thief couldn't show ID, then deal with the CC company to get my funds back. To each his own though.

I love this concept of "It's against Visa/MC policy."  Unless a rash of CBers have suddenly started to work for Visa/MC, I really can't imagine what it has to do with you and why you would be concerned about the contract between two other companies.

If Visa needs to protect themselves against this infraction, then they're welcome to, but the rule is a bit anachronistic.  I assume it was originally instituted to make sure Visa/MC customers weren't treated as secondary to or was processed more slowly than other forms of payment, but I think that credit cards are pretty secure in our society now.

I also have received information from VISA/MC about accepting cards and the rules and what can be asked for and what can't...I ALSO HAVE DONE EXTENSIVE RESEARCH ON THE SUBJECT...ALSO I KNOW THAT THE CARD SAYS "VOID IF NOT SIGNED"

CID

SEE LICENSE

SEE ID

BY SIGNING THE CARD YOU AGREE TO ALLOW THE MERCHANT TO CHARGE YOUR ACCOUNT...AND YOU ALSO AGREE TO THE CREDIT CARD POLICIES

SIGH... It's always annoying when you respond to my posts despite the fact that we were both going to put each other on ignore. Now it's just harder to read your non-sequitor responses.

Where did I ask anything about the signature on your card? Where did I ask about anyone's qualifications and their research? Who asked anything about what makes a card VOID? Who are you talking to and what the hell are you talking about?

All I said was there's an agreement between the credit card and the merchant, and we aren't a party to that agreement. Why do you feel you have any special right to enforce it?

Unless you can show me where in the credit card agreement YOU signed with the credit card company that it says you are not to show your ID to merchants then you have nothing to whine about.

Go ahead and respond to this, because I know that you couldn't live with yourself if you didn't get the last word according to the code of the playground, but then PLEASE stop responding to my posts. PLEASE put me on ignore or PLEASE SHUT UP!

Edited by robb

George, you are missing my point. One would be a fool to put his/her PIN on the back of an ATM card because that is all the thief needs to withdraw funds. I am saying that by signing the back of your CC, you are giving a thief all they need to use it at a store that doesnt check ID. I personally would rather have a store decline the card because the thief couldn't show ID, then deal with the CC company to get my funds back. To each his own though.

I only lost ONE card in my life...and that was 100% NOT MY FAULT (I never got it in the mail)

I still sign ALL my cards ALWAYS HAVE ALWAYS WILL

(EVEN THE SOCKDRAWER RESIDENTS)

CID

SEE LICENSE

SEE ID

SIGH... It's always annoying when you respond to my posts despite the fact that we were both going to put each other on ignore. Now it's just harder to read your non-sequitor responses.

Where did I ask anything about the signature on your card? Where did I ask about anyone's qualifications and their research? Who asked anything about what makes a card VOID? Who are you talking to and what the hell are you talking about?

All I said was there's an agreement between the credit card and the merchant, and we aren't a party to that agreement. Why do you feel you have any special right to enforce it?

Unless you can show me where in the credit card agreement YOU signed with the credit card company that it says you are not to show your ID to merchants then you have nothing to whine about.

Go ahead and respond to this, because I know that you couldn't live with yourself if you didn't get the last word according to the code of the playground, but then PLEASE stop responding to my posts. PLEASE put me on ignore or PLEASE SHUT UP!

I NEVER AGREED TO PUT ANYBODY ON IGNORE!!!

FEEL FREE TO PUT ME ON IGNORE!!!

Edited by GEORGE

FEEL FREE TO PUT ME ON IGNORE!!![/b]

Have you EVER read a single post anyone has ever written or do you just automatically start spewing your unhelpful and unrelated crap after you see the first few words?

You are on my IGNORE list. You have been for a long time when it became painfully obvious that you weren't in the least bit helpful.

I assume the only reason you won't put me on ignore is so you can continue your trolling. Nice attitude.

STOP RESPONDING TO MY POSTS.

I WON'T STOP ANYONE FROM SHOWING ID!!!

BUT DON'T MAKE ME SHOW IT ON MY SIGNED CREDIT CARD!!!

That doesn't make any sense. If someone voluntarily shows an ID, obviously, they are not a thief.

The only process that would protect against someone else using your card would be showing ID.

bottom line.

If you want to keep going on and on about the policy, that's fine.

I think the policy is stupid, and doesn't sufficiently protect the customer, or the business.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Have you EVER read a single post anyone has ever written or do you just automatically start spewing your unhelpful and unrelated crap after you see the first few words?

You are on my IGNORE list. You have been for a long time when it became painfully obvious that you weren't in the least bit helpful.

I assume the only reason you won't put me on ignore is so you can continue your trolling. Nice attitude.

If someone voluntarily shows an ID, obviously, they are not a thief.

That's just not true. Lots of seasoned criminals steal more then credit cards, They steal entire Id's, they would have a fake DL with their picture and your information. In the world of computers , it wouldn't be that hard to do.

I think that is the entire point. By giving someone both the credit card and the DL, you have given them almost all the information required to steal your identity. Then again, one can buy information on almost anyone.

Hey Robb, unnecessary and it won't continue. George has been very helpful, always. If you have a problem with someone, click the alert button, but don't flame George or any other member for that matter. Got it?

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines