Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Wal-mart violates VISA/MC policies...

The last post in this topic was posted 5636 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Wow what stores are we shopping at that we should be afraid to show ID?

Walmart

I DON'T HAVE TO SHOW ID...MY SIGNED (WITH MY NAME) IS THE ID

(PER CREDIT CARD POLICY)

Yes, we understand that. Most would argue that the signature doesn't cut it. Look at that guys gag site again where he drew pictures.

I think you have a false sense of security, or you are just stubborn.

PLEASE PUT ME ON IGNORE AND WE WILL BOTH BE HAPPY!!!

Your Identity is not safe unless you use all cash. It's that simple.

Let's also remember where a lot of card thefts happen. Resturants, trash cans, foreign atms.

I agree with the person that mentioned choicepoint. I'm more worried about some salamander at a collection agency getting ahold of private information then anyone else. The law does not do enough to protect our information.

who would want the icky hands of a store worker ( icky cuz they touches money and other public crap) touching their CC unneccesarily.

Its against policy...whether ya agree or not with the policy, it stands....and those who stand up for themselves against the store who violate said policy should be commended, not ATTACKED as they are on this thread.

Forget ID theft..How about invasion of privacy. If I am asked for license, thats telling the store worker a lot more than Id likek them to know. If the siggy matches....keep it moving.

who would want the icky hands of a store worker ( icky cuz they touches money and other public crap) touching their CC unneccesarily.

Its against policy...whether ya agree or not with the policy, it stands....and those who stand up for themselves against the store who violate said policy should be commended, not ATTACKED as they are on this thread.

Forget ID theft..How about invasion of privacy.  If I am asked for license, thats telling the store worker a lot more than Id likek them to know.    If the siggy matches....keep it moving.

:angel:

Forget ID theft..How about invasion of privacy.  If I am asked for license, thats telling the store worker a lot more than Id likek them to know.     If the siggy matches....keep it moving.

I would go edit all of my typos..but since Ive already been quoted.....

:blush::)

Edited by TeeSharice

Forget ID theft..How about invasion of privacy.  If I am asked for license, thats telling the store worker a lot more than Id likek them to know.    If the siggy matches....keep it moving.

Third that!

Just to add my 2 cents.

Personally, I USUALLY don’t mind being asked for an ID (especially around holidays)…UNLESS, they didn’t ask the person in front or behind me.

However, one thing did happen at a jewelry shop that got me ballistically pissed. My DH had bought me a necklace…not really expensive, probably in the $350-$450 range. They, of course, asked for an ID…that didn’t bother me….what DID bother me was that they made him give his fingerprint!

Please note here that in Florida, at the time (don’t know if it has changed), a fingerprint on a check or credit card CANNOT be used as admissible evidence in court.

I just about walked out of the store. DH went on and gave them his fingerprint and after we left he got mad at ME for questioning it, saying it was done for HIS protection.

I couldn’t seem to make him understand that what they were requesting was actually illegal AND that they were profiling him (he is of Asian/Pacific heritage).

To say the least, I wrote their office and complained (and included a copy of a memo that had been sent by the Sheriffs’ office to all merchants regarding the illegality of requiring fingerprint for checks or credit cards.)…they never responded. But I will NEVER do business there again.

Your Identity is not safe unless you use all cash.  It's that simple.

Let's also remember where a lot of card thefts happen. Resturants, trash cans, foreign atms. 

I agree with the person that mentioned choicepoint.  I'm more worried about some salamander at a collection agency getting ahold of private information then anyone else.  The law does not do enough to protect our information.

CASH?????

LOSE IT IT IS GONE

CHARGE BACK RIGHTS???

PROOF OF PURCHASE???

PURCHASES TRACKABLE ON-LINE???

ID REQUIRED FOR **CASH** PURCHASES OVER $3,000 (PATRIOT ACT)

NO ID FOR $3,000 CREDIT CARD PURCHASES (unless you have SEE ID or SEE LICENSE or CID) or the store is VIOLATING CREDIT CARD POLICY

Just to add my 2 cents.

Personally, I USUALLY don’t mind being asked for an ID (especially around holidays)…UNLESS, they didn’t ask the person in front or behind me.

However, one thing did happen at a jewelry shop that got me ballistically pissed.  My DH had bought me a necklace…not really expensive, probably in the $350-$450 range.  They, of course, asked for an ID…that didn’t bother me….what DID bother me was that they made him give his fingerprint! 

Please note here that in Florida, at the time (don’t know if it has changed), a fingerprint on a check or credit card CANNOT be used as admissible evidence in court.

I just about walked out of the store.  DH went on and gave them his fingerprint and after we left he got mad at ME for questioning it, saying it was done for HIS protection.

I couldn’t seem to make him understand that what they were requesting was actually illegal AND that they were profiling him (he is of Asian/Pacific heritage).

To say the least, I wrote their office and complained (and included a copy of a memo that had been sent by the Sheriffs’ office to all merchants regarding the illegality of requiring fingerprint for checks or credit cards.)…they never responded.  But I will NEVER do business there again.

FINGER PRINT IS CROSSING THE LINE!!!

Besides, there isn't much worry of someone running up thousands on an unreported card when the bank calls me up if I so much as make too many purchases at McDonalds :-) None of them flinch when I make a large single purchase(like $2k tuition, or $1500 laptop), but spending out of the usual pattern is noticed and more than one of these would surely be verified. They don't deactivate cards, but they do call to check up.

Edited by Elotemuygrande

I get mad when they don't ask for my ID. I would rather them ask and make sure it is me then to take it blindly and take charges that I didn't do.

I get mad when they don't ask for my ID. I would rather them ask and make sure it is me then to take it blindly and take charges that I didn't do.

Did you read the other thread yet? YOu may change your mind on that....I did.

I don't agree with using Cash George but it's one of the only ways to not have to worry about ID theft. You are right, no protection. It's one of the reasons I use a credit card for almost everything.

The point was with cash, you don't show your ID. Patriot act or not, I've never had someone check my id, even for purchases over $3000. I have to admit, that's one part of the patriot act that I just don't get.

GIVE THE ID & CREDIT CARD TO THE CASHIER AT THE SAME TIME THEN!!!

ENABLE CREDIT CARD POLICY VIOLATION

Edited by GEORGE

I don't agree with using Cash George but it's one of the only ways to not have to worry about ID theft.  You are right, no protection. It's one of the reasons I use a credit card for almost everything. 

The point was with cash, you don't show your ID.  Patriot act or not, I've never had someone check my id, even for purchases over $3000.  I have to admit, that's one part of the patriot act that I just don't get.

THE PATRIOT ACT POLICE ARE GONNA' COME DOWN HARD ON THAT PLACE OF BUSINESS THEN...

The point was with cash, you don't show your ID.  Patriot act or not, I've never had someone check my id, even for purchases over $3000.  I have to admit, that's one part of the patriot act that I just don't get.

I guess this means we can only buy $2999 worth of plutonium at a time.

:D

<_<

I guess this means we can only buy $2999 worth of plutonium at a time.

:lol:

:aggressive:

I CAN BUY $20,000 AT A TIME NO ID!!!

I USE PLASTIC!!!!!!

soldiergurl...you said, "and I'm sure there will only be one person with my name on Google, or whitepages.com. Good luck with that method."

Well, *some* people DO happen to have VERY rare names. I would *hate* for someone to steal my identity by googling my name. As it is, my brother's SL creditor (Sallie Mae), sent me HIS forebearance info, even though he never has lived with me. I'm *sure* they googled the last name, and since it's so uncommon, sent it to my address, assuming he lived there. That mad me extremely mad.

As for the fingerprint--my fi has to give his fingerprint EVERY TIME he receives a money order from his parents (Western Union--they like to do this sometimes, and sometimes he does ask). That always makes me mad, because I just don't understand WHY they need his fingerprint when they ask for his id AND they take a picture of him!!

[edited to clarify]: sometimes his parents like to send the money, sometimes he asks--he's NEVER asked to be fingerprinted!!

Edited by angeleyeskkhr

Would people object to showing their ID if they felt the reasons behind it were due to profiling more than consumer protection? I have been in stores in long lines where no one was asked for their ID EXCEPT for me...and as it happens, I am African American. I then get the clerks who stare at the ID for a good 15 seconds, as if it's not abundantly clear that I am the person in the picture. They literally visually scour the ID card and sometimes check to see if it's a fake DL!

I'd rather have someone rip off what little money I have in my account (and get it all back when I'd file the ID theft info and police report) than be treated like a criminal when I want to purchase something with a credit card.

soldiergurl...you said, "and I'm sure there will only be one person with my name on Google, or whitepages.com. Good luck with that method."

Well, *some* people DO happen to have VERY rare names.  I would *hate* for someone to steal my identity by googling my name.  As it is, my brother's SL creditor (Sallie Mae), sent me HIS forebearance info, even though he never has lived with me.  I'm *sure* they googled the last name, and since it's so uncommon, sent it to my address, assuming he lived there. That mad me extremely mad.

As for the fingerprint--my fi has to give his fingerprint EVERY TIME he receives a money order from his parents (Western Union--they like to do this sometimes, and sometimes he does ask).  That always makes me mad, because I just don't understand WHY they need his fingerprint when they ask for his id AND they take a picture of him!!

[edited to clarify]: sometimes his parents like to send the money, sometimes he asks--he's NEVER asked to be fingerprinted!!

GO TO WAL*MART USE MONEYGRAM...WE CAN'T TAKE FINGERPRINTS!!!

WE DON'T EVEN HAVE THE INK PADS ANY MORE WE "DID" USE FOR THE CHECK ENDORSEMENT STAMPS...(so we can't even use those "IF" we wanted to)

WHAT WOULD A FINGERPRINT PROVE ANYWAY???

THEY ARE ON SECURITY CAMERAS

THEY SHOW ID TO GET THE MONEY (MONEY ORDER)

THEIR ID NUMBER IS LOGGED ON THE RECEIPT

THEY MUST HAVE THE TRACKING NUMBER

or

THE SENDERS FIRST AND LAST NAME

and

THE RECEIVERS NAME MUST ALSO MATCH WHAT THEY FILL OUT ON THE FORM

(slight TYPO's allowed)

We either let them have the M/O or cash it for them...they are on their way

Edited by GEORGE

I do not understand everyone's argument.

What are you going to do about their policy, complain to the police, your congressman, or all the other untouchables that support Walmart?

That's all we can do is vent on this board, b/c Walmart is like dealing with the devil. Walmart is always going to get away with it, they just pay up when someone balks and later advises they will in some way 'support the cause of the former adversary'.

What are you going to do about their policy, complain to the police, your congressman, or all the other untouchables that support Walmart?

That's all we can do is vent on this board, b/c Walmart is like dealing with the devil.  Walmart is always going to get away with it, they just pay up when someone balks and later advises they will in some way 'support the cause of the former adversary'.

NO complain to VISA/MC, if they get enough complaints they will put the pressure on wal-mart to stop.

Actually the corp. offices may not even be aware that this store is doing this and may stop it themselves.

That's all we can do is vent on this board, b/c Walmart is like dealing with the devil.  Walmart is always going to get away with it, they just pay up when someone balks and later advises they will in some way 'support the cause of the former adversary'.

"IF" a business asks for ID on a signed credit card and you LOVE TO DO IT...THEN SHOW IT!!!

"IF" YOU DON'T WANT TO SHOW ID ON A SIGNED CREDIT CARD...YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO WALK OUT AND LEAVE EVERYTHING RIGHT THERE!!!

YOU "CAN" NOTIFY YOUR CREDIT CARD BANK and/or VISA/MC OF THE VIOLATION

NAME OF THE BUSINESS

DATE

TIME

ADDRESS

CITY

STATE

PHONE NUMBER

Wow what stores are we shopping at that we should be afraid to show ID?

Walmart

I DON'T HAVE TO SHOW ID...MY SIGNED (WITH MY NAME) IS THE ID

(PER CREDIT CARD POLICY)

Yes, we understand that. Most would argue that the signature doesn't cut it. Look at that guys gag site again where he drew pictures.

I think you have a false sense of security, or you are just stubborn.

PLEASE PUT ME ON IGNORE AND WE WILL BOTH BE HAPPY!!!

Why? You don't like when someone disagrees with you?

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Widowson
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines