Sign in to follow this  
joshbgosh

Wal-mart violates VISA/MC policies...

When I first read THIS thread, I was in the SEE ID camp. I couldn't comprehend why anyone would find this troublesome.

Now after reading the OTHER thread, I have crossed sides. I will no longer be so quick to show my ID.

ID theft is WAY too much of a problem where I am. I will not make it easier by giving my information to someone I don't know.

If the card policy doesn't require it, then the merchant gains nothing. They aren't going to reduce anyone's liability, but it places additional risk to ME. One comment in particular that struck home, there are card policies to protect the issuer and the merchant. No policy saves me from ID theft, and showing my ID to an unknown person at a retail counter is a risk.

If someone steals my card and racks up charges, I'm not going to be liable for it when I report it stolen. So again the fact that the merchant asks for ID is not helping me.

I suppose they have a right to refuse me service, and I have a right to walk away. I also have the ability to report them to the appropriate card issuer.

-LB

Here in New York, I've never been asked to see ID with any of my credit card purchases.  Never!  In California, I've been asked for ID wherever I've shopped (clothing store, pet store, etc.).  In Nashville, TN, where I was last weekend, I was asked for ID in Walmart only.  I never realized it was against Visa/MC policy.  So, there are a lot of other stores, besides Walmart, that checks ID.

Personally, I don't mind it. I never really thought about it.  It's kind of shocking to me when they ask because they never do anywhere in New York, either where I lived or where I've traveled, so when I go out of state and they ask me, I'm not used to it.  None of the cashiers have ever written down my license number or made a copy so I don't think they were planning on doing anything bad with the info...but maybe I need to read the other thread to understand it.

I hardly ever get asked for ID either.

Slightly off-topic, but funny nonetheless...

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

Relevant Quote:

"In my lifetime, I have made nearly 15,000 credit card transactions. I purchase almost everything on plastic. What bugs me about credit card transactions is the signing. Who checks the signature? Nobody checks the signature.

Credit card signatures are a useless mechanism designed to make you feel safe, like airport security checks. So my question was, how crazy would I have to make my signature before someone would actually notice?"

THAT PERSON MUST NOT USE THEIR CARDS VERY MUCH!!!

I PROBABLY MADE WAY OVER 15,000 CREDIT CARD TRANSACTIONS IN 1990'S ALONE

THAT IS ONLY 4 PER DAY AVERAGE FOR TEN YEARS!!!

THAT IS NOTHING...I SOMETIMES DO 10 IN ONE DAY!!!

Edited by GEORGE

I can not report it lost or stolen because I have not noticed or recieved a huge bill yet.

So if I am one of those people that cry about showing ID should I cry when the CC company expects me to pay the bill?

You don't have to report it stolen PRIOR to any charges. If it is stolen and charges are made before you report, you are only liable for the first $50 (I think?). That info may be outdated. I had this happen to me and reported it when I got my statement - someone had my number but not the card so I didn't know it was stolen and they were making online purchases.

-LB

For everyone tht really doesn't care about showing your ID....make sure you read the other thread before you make up your mind about handing your ID over to strangers.

"IF" the card is reported LOST the most you can be out is $50 (although most DON'T do that $50 any more)

THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY "EATS" THE LOSS

IT IS IS WRITTEN OFF (P&L)--UNLESS THEY HAVE INSURANCE FOR THAT

THE CREDIT CARD COMPANIES HAVE FRAUD DIVISIONS AND THE BUSINESSES ARE NOT EXPECTED TO BE FRAUD INVESTIGATORS

...ALTHOUGH THE BUSINESSES ARE ABLE TO DO A "CODE 10 CALL" IF THEY SUSPECT THAT A CRIME IS BEING COMMITTED!!!

Edited by GEORGE

Voluntarily handing the clerk your ID doesn't mean anything George.

The point is that the other 99% of the population appreciates getting their ID checked when using a CC.  They understand that it helps fight chargebacks and fraud. 

Knowing that a store always checks would deter a lot of fraud right up front.

geez...

AMEN! I have to agree with the others here - I feel better about my transactions when they ask for ID. As for them having your CC & ID at the same time - unless they sit there and write the #s and info down, and/or swipe the card a second time (which is a scam) then I wouldnt worry about them having "all that info"...they only have it for a second or two to match up names...unless they have a photographic memory, they likely aren't able to remember it.

If you don't feel like "digging out your ID when they ask for it", then dig it out when you dig the credit card out and have it ready. Personally, I think it's stupid that Visa/MC don't MAKE merchants ask for ID...I think that policy is as assbackwards as you can get!

When I first read THIS thread, I was in the SEE ID camp.  I couldn't comprehend why anyone would find this troublesome.

Now after reading the OTHER thread, I have crossed sides.  I will no longer be so quick to show my ID.

ID theft is WAY too much of a problem where I am.  I will not make it easier by giving my information to someone I don't know.

If the card policy doesn't require it, then the merchant gains nothing.  They aren't going to reduce anyone's liability, but it places additional risk to ME.  One comment in particular that struck home, there are card policies to protect the issuer and the merchant.  No policy saves me from ID theft, and showing my ID to an unknown person at a retail counter is a risk.

If someone steals my card and racks up charges, I'm not going to be liable for it when I report it stolen.  So again the fact that the merchant asks for ID is not helping me.

I suppose they have a right to refuse me service, and I have a right to walk away.  I also have the ability to report them to the appropriate card issuer.

-LB

The more money they are ripped off The more money we pay

Just like if I rent an Apartment and THEY pay utilities and I leave air, all the lights, tv and radios on in every room should I not expect the rent to raise. If I did this every day?

Now if all the people had the same attitude........

When I first read THIS thread, I was in the SEE ID camp.  I couldn't comprehend why anyone would find this troublesome.

Now after reading the OTHER thread, I have crossed sides.  I will no longer be so quick to show my ID.

ID theft is WAY too much of a problem where I am.  I will not make it easier by giving my information to someone I don't know.

If the card policy doesn't require it, then the merchant gains nothing.  They aren't going to reduce anyone's liability, but it places additional risk to ME.  One comment in particular that struck home, there are card policies to protect the issuer and the merchant.  No policy saves me from ID theft, and showing my ID to an unknown person at a retail counter is a risk.

If someone steals my card and racks up charges, I'm not going to be liable for it when I report it stolen.  So again the fact that the merchant asks for ID is not helping me.

I suppose they have a right to refuse me service, and I have a right to walk away.  I also have the ability to report them to the appropriate card issuer.

-LB

I'll be blunt here -- I'm a smoker. Every time I buy cigarettes, I have to let my ID be shown to the cashier.

The average time my ID stays in their hands depends on which state I'm in -- I'm currently working out of state. Arkansas IDs get lots of scrutiny in California. But all they're interested in is the birth date, and the picture. It takes longer out here because they don't know where the birth date is.

But it's not nearly long enough for them to steal my identity. They don't make a photocopy, they don't write down my driver's license number.

Checking an ID for a credit transaction should be essentially the same -- except the person's name is usually in the same place on all IDs, and all they're trying to match is the picture to you, and the name to the name on the card.

Can someone please reference the "other" thread people are discussing, where it equated checking IDs with causing identity theft?

The point is that the other 99% of the population appreciates getting their ID checked when using a CC.  They understand that it helps fight chargebacks and fraud. 

geez...

AMEN! I have to agree with the others here - I feel better about my transactions when they ask for ID. As for them having your CC & ID at the same time - unless they sit there and write the #s and info down, and/or swipe the card a second time (which is a scam) then I wouldnt worry about them having "all that info"...they only have it for a second or two to match up names...unless they have a photographic memory, they likely aren't able to remember it.

If you don't feel like "digging out your ID when they ask for it", then dig it out when you dig the credit card out and have it ready. Personally, I think it's stupid that Visa/MC don't MAKE merchants ask for ID...I think that policy is as assbackwards as you can get!

I HAVE A LICENSE TO DRIVE

IT IS NOT A "PERMIT" TO USE A CREDIT CARD

MY CREDIT CARD IS NOT IN MY WALLET SO I DON'T DIG IT OUT!!!

Wow what stores are we shopping at that we should be afraid to show ID?

Walmart

geez...

I HAVE A LICENSE TO DRIVE

IT IS NOT A "PERMIT" TO USE A CREDIT CARD

MY CREDIT CARD IS NOT IN MY WALLET SO I DON'T DIG IT OUT!!!

That's a very basic way of thinking. We all know that drivers licenses have evolved past their original intent. Just like social security numbers.

if you don't want to show your drivers license, show another form of picture ID.

Visa/Mastercard is screwing themselves by enforcing such a stupid policy.

The photographic memory allegation is a longshot. I would like to know exactly how many people have had their identity stolen from showing an ID to a clerk vs. how many people have had their CC's used fraudulently.

Just because the CC issuer covers the fraud charges, ask anyone who has been through it, it is a huge hassle to deal with.

The more money they are ripped off        The more money we pay

Just like if I rent an Apartment and THEY pay utilities and I leave air, all the lights, tv and radios on in every room should I not expect the rent to raise.  If I did this every day?

Now if all the people had the same attitude........

I guarantee if it became such a problem, the card issuers would make a NEW policy to prevent it - or go out of business. WE wouldn't pay more, because someone would find a way to provide the same service at the same or lower price. It's not an apartment complex, it's a competitive service industry. The driver's license isn't a radio, it's a card that contains personal information that CAN be used in harmful ways by the wrong people.

But it's not nearly long enough for them to steal my identity.  They don't make a photocopy, they don't write down my driver's license number.

If it's all the same to you, I'll keep my DL to myself. People can get very desperate, and I don't believe it too hard to read a card, memorize key numbers, and then jot them down once the customer has passed.

Checking an ID for a credit transaction should be essentially the same -- except the person's name is usually in the same place on all IDs, and all they're trying to match is the picture to you, and the name to the name on the card. 

I can't speak to what they are looking at. For all I know, they are staring trying to memorize my DL number, or my address, etc. I have no reason to trust the person behind the counter. They likely aren't making a ton of money at their job, and ID theft is a way to make more money.

Can someone please reference the "other" thread people are discussing, where it equated checking IDs with causing identity theft?

There's a link at the beginning of this thread. It's not checking ID, it's the possibility that someone is taking information that they don't need to approve your transaction. ID theft is a big problem in the northwest due to the METH issue. Other areas, maybe it isn't so bad. But here, it is. So I'll keep my drivers license as safe as possible.

That's just me. Obviously others feel differently, which is OK too. It's your ID, not mine.

Yup, it's not too hard to remember info from a card. For example, I routinely take note of people's license plate numbers as they drive off so that I can recognize them in their car at a distance even when they have tinted windows.

On the other hand...it's almost trivial to google someone's information and picture to get things like their zip code and other info used to verify ID to a credit card company.

Can you tell I'm a bit of a "people researcher"?

Edited by Elotemuygrande

What are you going to do about it if asked for ID?

Walmart is above the law

They have unlimited Get Out of Jail Free Passes

Just pay millions to settle out of court for:

Racist allegations

Illegal immigrant workers

Sex Discrimination

Pay denial for work off the clock

The same will happen for this and not a dollar will go into your pocket.

They will just 'work side-by-side' and fully cooperative with the government.

They are the government!

Actually, this brings up a good discussion. As more and more people switch to "a cash free society", the possibility of fraud is going to become even more possible.

I honestly don't think that checking the signature is a very secure option for making sure the card is yours. As someone said earlier in this thread, if you use one of those signature machines, they don't come anywhere near what is on the card.

So, what will be the future way of validating that you are in fact who the card says you are? Fingerprint? Retinal scan ?

I personally liked the idea that Citibank had at one point - your photo on the front of your card. Don't know if they still do that or not...

Just some food for thought.

Walmart

I DON'T HAVE TO SHOW ID...MY SIGNED (WITH MY NAME) IS THE ID

(PER CREDIT CARD POLICY)

Actually, this brings up a good discussion.  As more and more people switch to "a cash free society", the possibility of fraud is going to become even more possible.

I honestly don't think that checking the signature is a very secure option for making sure the card is yours.  As someone said earlier in this thread, if you use one of those signature machines, they don't come anywhere near what is on the card.

So, what will be the future way of validating that you are in fact who the card says you are?  Fingerprint?  Retinal scan ?

I personally liked the idea that Citibank had at one point - your photo on the front of your card.  Don't know if they still do that or not...

I agree. The photocard like citi has is an excellent compromise. I wish all CC issuers would adopt that as a standard.

Actually, this brings up a good discussion.  As more and more people switch to "a cash free society", the possibility of fraud is going to become even more possible.

I honestly don't think that checking the signature is a very secure option for making sure the card is yours.  As someone said earlier in this thread, if you use one of those signature machines, they don't come anywhere near what is on the card.

So, what will be the future way of validating that you are in fact who the card says you are?  Fingerprint?  Retinal scan ?

I personally liked the idea that Citibank had at one point - your photo on the front of your card.  Don't know if they still do that or not...

SO USE A PIN# WITH A CREDIT CARD TRANACTION or THE ZIP CODE...AND ELIMINATE THE SIGNATURE ACTION ALL-TOGETHER

Walmart

(PER CREDIT CARD POLICY)

Yes, we understand that. Most would argue that the signature doesn't cut it. Look at that guys gag site again where he drew pictures.

I think you have a false sense of security, or you are just stubborn.

SO USE A PIN# WITH A CREDIT CARD TRANACTION or THE ZIP CODE...AND ELIMINATE THE SIGNATURE ACTION ALL-TOGETHER

Again, another great idea. The signature doesn't cut it. Although, it will be harder to people to prove transactions were not theirs if they write the PIN on the card like some people do.

Walmart

(PER CREDIT CARD POLICY)

Me either my picture is on my cards. Just for that reason

Again, another great idea. The signature doesn't cut it. Although, it will be harder to people to prove transactions were not theirs if they write the PIN on the card like some people do.

And nosy people like me will watch over their shoulders as they enter their PIN. Do it all the time, just to see if I can. Course, I would have to steal _that_ person's card to use it which would make it much harder.

Oh, and as for Zip code, my Amex asks for that at Walmart...but that's Googleable information! If I steal your card I'm gonna google your name and find out where you live!

Edited by Elotemuygrande

And nosy people like me will watch over their shoulders as they enter their PIN. Do it all the time, just to see if I can. Course, I would have to steal _that_ person's card to use it which would make it much harder.

Oh, and as for Zip code, my Amex asks for that at Walmart...but that's Googleable information! If I steal your card I'm gonna google your name and find out where you live!

and I'm sure there will only be one person with my name on Google, or whitepages.com. Good luck with that method.

What are you going to do about it if asked for ID?

Walmart is above the law

They have unlimited Get Out of Jail Free Passes

Just pay millions to settle out of court for:

Racist allegations

Sex Discrimination

The same will happen for this and not a dollar will go into your pocket.

They will just 'work side-by-side' and fully cooperative with the government. 

They are the government!

Racist allegations

Sex Discrimination

I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RACIST GARBAGE...

ILLEGAL WORKERS<---3rd PARTY MAINTENANCE COMPANY

NOT WAL*MART EMPLOYEES--WAL*MART HAS SINCE GONE TO "IN HOUSE" EMPLOYEES FOR MAINTENANCE...AND TERMINATED ALL 3rd PARTY MAINTENANCE

SEX DISCRIMINATION<------HUH????

MEN IN MY STORE ARE LIKE 30%

OK...MEN UNITE...LETS YELL DISCRIMINATION!!!

OFF THE CLOCK WORK???

I'M SO OVER-PAID THAT I WILL WORK OFF THE CLOCK???

YOU GOTTA' BE KIDDING!!!

I won't even do that for 5 min

Edited by GEORGE

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tup96
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines