Sign in to follow this  
joshbgosh

Wal-mart violates VISA/MC policies...

It takes your husband a 10 min phone call to add you as an AU.

I wish people would get this worked up over companies like Lexis Nexis and Choice Point selling your personal info to anybody with $50

perhaps you should read the thread..I AM AN AU, and that is not even the point of this thread, the point is this wal-mart is starting their own policy to check ID on ALL CC's, they did this with my own CC a few weeks ago.

here's the thing. what will complaining really do?

I'm not saying to sit back and take it. but MC and VISA wont suddenly revoke walmart's merchant account.

I suppose if enough people complain, the coporate side of walmart will eventually decide maybe this policy isnt a good thing.

I mean its meant to protect as mentioned, and it did. what happend if you werent the actual wife? and your husband card was lost/stolen and the person takes a shopping spree at walmart because they dont care (like many places) about showing ID.

then maybe you'll hate walmart for not checking ID.

if you're a seller/merchant you'll definitely want to check too, even if its signed. a simple check can protect you from fraud and troublesome chargebacks.

I mean even signed card doesnt mean much.. nor are signatures when you sign for the receipt. I mean its already been established that no one checks on that... its suppose to match up on whats signed in the back, but who checks anyway.

I dont know, is it really that big of an issue? I know it was a hassle to have to write a check, but its not like they were trying to screw you over by asking for your ID. you know?

You lose your card and it is WAL*MART'S FAULT that you didn't report it in a timely fashion after the loss???

Well, George, that really isn't a fair assumption. A coworker's company cc was stolen from his wallet when someone broke into his locked locker at the workout facility. He noticed it within an hour of the card being gone; got a call fifteen minutes later (when he was waiting for the police to file a report) from the cc company asking if he had been using his card. In little more than an hour, the thief had run up $5k in charges. He never even had a chance to report the card gone!

Maybe if someone HAD asked for id in this case, the outcome would have been different.

I wish people would get this worked up over companies like Lexis Nexis and Choice Point selling your personal info to anybody with $50

perhaps you should read the thread..I AM AN AU, and that is not even the point of this thread, the point is this wal-mart is starting their own policy to check ID on ALL CC's, they did this with my own CC a few weeks ago.

did you by chance find out from that manager why they're suddenly having this policy?

did you by chance find out from that manager why they're suddenly having this policy?

yes, as I stated before, she said they recently implemented their own [policy to check ID's.

Voluntarily handing the clerk your ID doesn't mean anything George.

The point is that the other 99% of the population appreciates getting their ID checked when using a CC. They understand that it helps fight chargebacks and fraud.

Knowing that a store always checks would deter a lot of fraud right up front.

geez...

okay i partially read the thread but will put in my two cents - i am a manager for a high volume retail store and if the name is smudge or barely legiable or the person is purchasing a gift cert over 100 dollars i and my associates ask for ID - who is it going to hurt? no one? plus we get chargebacks - so if all the associates are doing their job we will be avoiding theft. we win and you have to pull out a drivers license - as far as you using your husbands card if you are not an AU on it and you sign he calls the credit card company saying it isnt his purchase - walmart fowards the recipt with your signature to the issuer where it clearly isnt even his name and might be forced to charge it back unless they can make it out as your wifes signature in which case they may only charge it back if you press charges (i believe it greatly depends on dollar amounts) but either get him to add you as AU or dont use his card in WALMART

edit - since you are an AU on the account you should have made the cashier call the CC company and they can verify that information

NON-READABLE SIGNATURE...ID FINE

CID

SEE LICENSE

SEE ID

ARE NOT SIGNATURES

LICENSE REQUIRED (ALTHOUGH IT VIOLATES CREDIT CARD POLICY TO ASK FOR ID...AND THE CUSTOMER IS ASKING US TO ACCEPT A VOID CARD)

"CARD VOID IF NOT SIGNED"

Yep that used to be the case for me at walmart, but now, after I scan my card the cashier asks for my card and ID.

The reason I am bothered is because I was using my husbands card yesterday and I was forsed to write a check, it was quite a hassle.

DON'T PAY BY CHECK--TAKE A WALK!!!

(IF THEY ASK FOR ID ON A SIGNED CREDIT CARD)

[EDIT]

DON'T USE YOUR HUSBANDS CARD---USE YOUR OWN CARD!!

YOU GET A CARD WITH YOUR NAME ON IT!!!

1--2 WEEKS

George, I said i have my own card but I left it at home so I used DH's.

I CAN'T USE MY WIFE'S CREDIT CARD...I'M ON THAT ACCOUNT

That is why I have my own card (WITH MY NAME)

ALWAYS CARRY A BACK-UP CARD OR TWO--"IF" YOU LEAVE HOME WITH-OUT IT

american express is one exception to that rule - they are NON TRANSFERABLE and say it right on the card but i dont believe any of my other cards say that as the AU all have the same number but amex #s their AU 1-99 aswell as the # card you are on (if you have lost your card etc) all in the middle 3 of the last 5 numbers

Well, this wasn't meant to be a debate thread, just really wanted to know if I should contact VISA/MC or wal-mart corporate offices, or both?

Edited by joshbgosh

Well, this wasn't meant to be a debate thread, just really wanted to know if I should contact VISA/MC or wal-mart corporate offices, or both?

I don't think my question was ever answered ... was this a cc or a debit card? In one post you said it was debit, so I'm not sure.

The point is that the other 99% of the population appreciates getting their ID checked when using a CC.  They understand that it helps fight chargebacks and fraud. 

geez...

I'M A 1% MINORITY???

WAS THIS SURVEY POSSIBLY CONDUCTED BY THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY???

POOR CREDIT CAUSES ACCIDENTS...TICKETS...and CLAIMS

I don't think my question was ever answered ... was this a cc or a debit card? In one post you said it was debit, so I'm not sure.

It was a debit/credit card...I was using it as credit

I used MY CREDIT card a few weeks ago and was also asked for ID.

The manager said it is now their policy with ALL credit cards.

yes, as I stated before, she said they recently implemented their own [policy to check ID's.

er I meant WHY. did she gave a reason? i guess probably not, unless I missed it somewhere.

Josh,

How can you try to "call" walmart on violating a policy, when you yourself violated by using someone else's CC. It doesn't matter if it is your DH, it is not your name on the card, so they did the right thing.

The point is that the other 99% of the population appreciates getting their ID checked when using a CC.  They understand that it helps fight chargebacks and fraud. 

geez...

I'M A 1% MINORITY???

Ask people George.

That's why people put stupid things like "CID" and "See ID" on their CC's. Most people WANT to be checked.

You are trying to enforce and argue a stupid policy.

Josh,

How can you try to "call" walmart on violating a policy, when you yourself violated by using someone else's CC.  It doesn't matter if it is your DH, it is not your name on the card, so they did the right thing.

I will not be complaining on that instance... i will be complaining on the instance a few weeks ago when it was my card.

I think OP mentioned that she was AU on the card. I think?

and er.. debit/credit card? you mean debit/ATM cards/check cards with the VISA/MasterCard logo on 'em? those are still debit cards no? even if you pay for them as credit.

are there debit/credit cards?

It was a debit/credit card...I was using it as credit

I used MY CREDIT card a few weeks ago and was also asked for ID.

The manager said it is now their policy with ALL credit cards.

Well, my debit card can be "run" as a credit card, but it's still tied to my checking account. The rules MAY be different for a debit card than they are for a credit card; I dunno.

I would be very careful about complaining in this particular instance. As you said yourself it was not YOUR card, it's going to be very difficult for you to prove your point. If you want to make your point, you should do it again using YOUR card.

Also, if this card is indeed tied to a checking account, you may want to check with your institution on what their policies are for id checks. I'm not sure that just because the LOGO is on the card, that all the same benefits/policies apply to a debit card as the credit card.

I think OP mentioned that she was AU on the card. I think?

and er.. debit/credit card? you mean debit/ATM cards/check cards with the VISA/MasterCard logo on 'em? those are still debit cards no? even if you pay for them as credit.

are there debit/credit cards?

People, forget the instance in which I used my DH's debit/credit card.

That's just what made me really think about the policy.

They did the same thing when it was my own card!!!!!!!

It is their new policy!!!!!!!

O.k. that's the last time I'm saying that.

geez...

I'M A 1% MINORITY???

Ask people George.

That's why people put stupid things like "CID" and "See ID" on their CC's. Most people WANT to be checked.

You are trying to enforce and argue a stupid policy.

"IF" 99% OF THE CREDIT CARD HOLDERS WANT TO SHOW "ID" WITH THEIR CREDIT CARD...THEY BETTER START A LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGN TO REMOVE THE SIGNATURE STRIP AND PRINT "ID" REQUIRED FOR SALE ON THE CREDIT CARD...AND NOTIFY 100% OF ALL BUSINESSES THAT ID IS REQUIRED TO USE A CREDIT CARD!!!

Edited by GEORGE

okay okay. heh.

I'll go with contacting VISA/MC

supposely they're prompt about responding to stuff like this, according to that other thread anyway.

I suppose someone will give some info on the best way to do that soon enough...

I have to be honest... I don't understand why anyone would complain about being required to show their ID to make a credit card purchase.

When I worked for a small store in the mall, it was required by our manager that we request ID on *all* credit card transactions. It was a unilateral decision made by our manager, because she'd had her credit cards stolen before. We asked if they wanted to pay by check, cash, or credit card -- and if they said credit card, we said immediately "We'll also need to see your driver's license" so they could dig it out at the same time.

My mother and I both have "Please Check ID" written into the signature panels of our VISA cards and our VISA check cards. When they don't, we usually request to talk to their manager. We've both had our wallets stolen before.

Now, I can understand why someone would be upset if it felt like racial profiling, and would have done the same thing the Hispanic gentleman did if I felt it was done because of my race. We all have the option not to patronize businesses with policies we disagree with.

I'll be honest -- I was not aware that it was against the Visa/MC policy to check ID. When I read the policy statement, however... it didn't seem to say it was improper to request to see the DL to make sure the picture/name matched. It seemed it was improper to write down the DL #, like people do with checks, or to request a photocopy of the card or DL.

Just my $0.02, minus all taxes and applicable fees... <laugh>

Moriah

I must have a simple brain, but lets say that my friend is very sick and I go to make a purchase at a store and drop one of my ten credit cards on the floor. Now I did not notice it because I was very upset and left the store after making my purchase. Now the customer behind me seen me drop it and decided to use it right then and there.

Well now. I have to hope the person is honest and decides not to use it or the cashier ask for ID. I can not report it lost or stolen because I have not noticed or recieved a huge bill yet.

So if I am one of those people that cry about showing ID should I cry when the CC company expects me to pay the bill?

Just some food for thought

Slightly off-topic, but funny nonetheless...

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

Relevant Quote:

"In my lifetime, I have made nearly 15,000 credit card transactions. I purchase almost everything on plastic. What bugs me about credit card transactions is the signing. Who checks the signature? Nobody checks the signature.

Credit card signatures are a useless mechanism designed to make you feel safe, like airport security checks. So my question was, how crazy would I have to make my signature before someone would actually notice?"

Here in New York, I've never been asked to see ID with any of my credit card purchases. Never! In California, I've been asked for ID wherever I've shopped (clothing store, pet store, etc.). In Nashville, TN, where I was last weekend, I was asked for ID in Walmart only. I never realized it was against Visa/MC policy. So, there are a lot of other stores, besides Walmart, that checks ID.

Personally, I don't mind it. I never really thought about it. It's kind of shocking to me when they ask because they never do anywhere in New York, either where I lived or where I've traveled, so when I go out of state and they ask me, I'm not used to it. None of the cashiers have ever written down my license number or made a copy so I don't think they were planning on doing anything bad with the info...but maybe I need to read the other thread to understand it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    tup96
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines