Sign in to follow this  
joshbgosh

Wal-mart violates VISA/MC policies...

I know there was a BIG thread on this a few weeks ago but i can't seem to find it.

I jsut wanted to know who should i complain to about this? I talked to a manager at the store and she said they have the right to implement their own policies and ask for ID, I'm like ..."sure you do BUT VISA/MC also has the right to cancell their contract with you if you violate their policies" she didn't get it.

Should I call VISA and MC or call Wal-mart Corp. offices?

I've read this complaint before so many times,I don't understand why everybody

is so upset about when someone asks for their I.D. when paying with a CC to

make sure the card belongs to them?

I know that if someone is going to steal your identity then they will probably

have the right fraudelnt I.D.'s in hand,but not every thief is smart enough

to do that,if they were then the prisons would be a lot smaller.

Don't get me wrong,I don't like throwing my I.D. to just anyone that asks,but

if your writing a check they also check I.D.'s too,so I really don't see what

the big deal is.

I might get asked for my ID when writing a check once a month if not less then that. Walmart keeps the information in the computer. I do not have to show ID, so anyone can walk into walmart and use my lost checkbook and write a check.

Showing ID would not protect me there, except for that once a month

I know there was a BIG thread on this a few weeks ago but i can't seem to find it.

I jsut wanted to know who should i complain to about this? I talked to a manager at the store and she said they have the right to implement their own policies and ask for ID, I'm like ..."sure you do BUT VISA/MC also has the right to cancell their contract with you if you violate their policies" she didn't get it.

Should I call VISA and MC or call Wal-mart Corp. offices?

I've read this complaint before so many times,I don't understand why everybody

is so upset about when someone asks for their I.D. when paying with a CC to

make sure the card belongs to them?

I know that if someone is going to steal your identity then they will probably

have the right fraudelnt I.D.'s in hand,but not every thief is smart enough

to do that,if they were then the prisons would be a lot smaller.

Don't get me wrong,I don't like throwing my I.D. to just anyone that asks,but

if your writing a check they also check I.D.'s too,so I really don't see what

the big deal is.

if you would read the entire thread you will see.

Also, there is personal info on your ID and that along with your CC number can be used to hurt you and it has been done before by cashiers and others who check ID's. Basically if it's against policy it should not be done.

The reason I am bothered is because I was using my husbands card yesterday and I was forsed to write a check, it was quite a hassle.

That is a pain. It's one of the reasons I put myself on dh's accounts as an AU. I was tired of wondering if they were going to refuse allowing me to charge on his account.

I would still write, it will get you further then a phone call. Google up visa and mastercards merchant agreement. I'm sure it's somewhere.

I am on the account, it is a debit card, I just didn't have mine so I took DH's, never had a problem anywhere else, especially where you swipe your own card.

Here is the thread.

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82795&hl=

The reason I am bothered is because I was using my husbands card yesterday and I was forsed to write a check, it was quite a hassle.

If your name is not on the front of the card, they are not supposed to accept it. Of course they don't know your name, but if a man's name was on the front they may have been suspicous. In that case, they should have called in a "code 10" to see if you are an authorized user.

hehe, I started that thread...search "Requirement to show ID". I _think_ if you're doing self-checkout that the show id message is triggered by the issuer,

There is no "check id" trigger by MC and Visa. If they think there is a problem with a card, a message flashes to "contact issuer".

it's the point of the matter here, this happened when I was trying to use my own master card a few weeks ago at the same store (if i had remembered I wouldn't have tried to use the card with my DH's name on it)

But, it doesn't change the fact that this wal-mart is saying it is their policy to check ID's for CC's.

I personally do not feel comfortable showing my ID to strangers along wit hmy CC, you can never be too careful.

Hopefully my complaint will put an end to it. Wal-mart corp offices may have no idea that this store is doing this.

That is a pain. It's one of the reasons I put myself on dh's accounts as an AU. I was tired of wondering if they were going to refuse allowing me to charge on his account.

I would still write, it will get you further then a phone call. Google up visa and mastercards merchant agreement. I'm sure it's somewhere.

I am on the account, it is a debit card, I just didn't have mine so I took DH's, never had a problem anywhere else, especially where you swipe your own card.

Was it a debit card or a credit card? With a debit card, the policies may be different.

I would write to both.  I wouldn't bother calling

I will never fully understand why this upsets people so much.  Who the heck cares if you have to take 2 seconds to pull a form of ID. All it does is protect you in the end.  I would never be upset over this but I know others are. 

I'm surprised this happened at Walmart. The card never leaves my hands when I go in there.  I swipe it in the machine and stick it back in my wallet, while the cashier is still scanning.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE CAN'T GET IN THEIR HEAD THAT THEY NEED TO SIGN THE CARD WITH THEIR NAME AND THE BUSINESS NEEDS TO GET APPROVAL FOR THE TRANSACTION AND COMPARE THE SIGNATURES AND IT IS A DONE DEAL!!!

"IF" YOU ARE SO WILLING TO SHOW ID GIVE THE CASHIER YOUR SIGNED (WITH NAME) CREDIT CARD WITH YOUR LICENSE...AT THE SAME EXACT TIME!!!

I believe I said in an earlier post in this thread that my Wal*Marts actually compare signatures when the message comes up...and they do it by keeping the card while you sign the slip, and then they compare the signature on card to the one on the slip.

Wal*Mart isn't the only one that does this. I had Office Depot to do a signature check. As a result, someone does do it at times. Not all the time, but at times.

i shouldnt have said no one cuz yeah people do check. through the years maybe it was like once for me. unless they're back there looking at it without me knowing when I sign for the bill when eating out.

I'm just referring to those funny credit card signature pranks though. its obvious that they dont really look much. not in this part anyway.

I just dont get why it bothers enough to complain about. from what the other poster said, I should read that other thread.. but I honestly dont think MC/VISA will fine that particular branch of walmart, nor will they get to the point where they'll get their merchant account revoked.

I mean, has anyone came across any merchants losing their MC/VISA account from violating stuff such as checking ID, or requiring "minimums" in CC purchases? I suppose there are some, I just dont see a Walmart store getting in too much trouble.. a smaller business, yeah..

and I understand that showing your ID is hardly the end all to protection, but it does protect in some sense. at least someone will be reluctant to use a CC if they think someone is going to be asking for ID.

anyways I'll go read that other thread, I'm most likely missing something here. or I just dont really worry about identity theft enough. because I really dont think they're going to be able to memorize my address in that 2 second "not caring" glance at my ID.

Edited by CapYoda

Yep that used to be the case for me at walmart, but now, after I scan my card the cashier asks for my card and ID.

DON'T PAY BY CHECK--TAKE A WALK!!!

(IF THEY ASK FOR ID ON A SIGNED CREDIT CARD)

[EDIT]

DON'T USE YOUR HUSBANDS CARD---USE YOUR OWN CARD!!

Edited by GEORGE

The Wal*Marts at which I shop seem to have something programmed into the registers to ask for certain info or to direct cashier to verify info. Since I'm the only one using my card, the usual request is to "verify signature," when it goes over a certain amount. Usually the cashier keeps the card while I sign the slip, and then he/she compares signatures.

"CREDIT--I NEED TO SEE THE SIGNATURE ON THE CARD"

here's the thing. what will complaining really do?

I'm not saying to sit back and take it. but MC and VISA wont suddenly revoke walmart's merchant account.

I suppose if enough people complain, the coporate side of walmart will eventually decide maybe this policy isnt a good thing.

I mean its meant to protect as mentioned, and it did. what happend if you werent the actual wife? and your husband card was lost/stolen and the person takes a shopping spree at walmart because they dont care (like many places) about showing ID.

then maybe you'll hate walmart for not checking ID.

if you're a seller/merchant you'll definitely want to check too, even if its signed. a simple check can protect you from fraud and troublesome chargebacks.

I mean even signed card doesnt mean much.. nor are signatures when you sign for the receipt. I mean its already been established that no one checks on that... its suppose to match up on whats signed in the back, but who checks anyway.

I dont know, is it really that big of an issue? I know it was a hassle to have to write a check, but its not like they were trying to screw you over by asking for your ID. you know?

You lose your card and it is WAL*MART'S FAULT that you didn't report it in a timely fashion after the loss???

Just wait till a merchant ask for your finger print, I can assure you it will lemonade you off.

I know from first hand experience.

You lose your card and it is WAL*MART'S FAULT that you didn't report it in a timely fashion after the loss???

huh? I'm saying what happens.

I just didnt get what the complaint was about. Its not like I go around flashing my personal info and ID around, and personally I dont remember the last time I had to show ID unless it was for an age requirement purchase..

I read the other thread and I see what the concerns are now.

merchants around here and violating it day by day.. I guess people dont complain cuz its been going on for years. It annoys me when I see minimum charges for CC, but I understand them too.. since being charged 2% on a $3 soda purchase is rather sad.

yes, i understand that my name was not on the card, but this also happened when I used my own card. they are saying they now ask for

id's for all CC's.

Yep that used to be the case for me at walmart, but now, after I scan my card the cashier asks for my card and ID.

[EDIT]

YOU GET A CARD WITH YOUR NAME ON IT!!!

1--2 WEEKS

I just didnt get what the complaint was about. Its not like I go around flashing my personal info and ID around, and personally I dont remember the last time I had to show ID unless it was for an age requirement purchase..

merchants around here and violating it day by day.. I guess people dont complain cuz its been going on for years. It annoys me when I see minimum charges for CC, but I understand them too.. since being charged 2% on a $3 soda purchase is rather sad.

ASKING FOR "ID" IS SUPPOSED TO FIND A BUNCH OF LOST CARDS?????

yeah its not happening for the walmart here. but I can see why its unecessary - especially for your own signed cards.

wonder what provoke the policy change for these particular stores.

[EDIT]

1--2 WEEKS

George, I said i have my own card but I left it at home so I used DH's.

:) I live outside Dallas in a town by a lake, the Walmart has never asked to see my ID on debit charges or CC charges. One time they did decline my card bc the bank had a "call us" placed on my account, I had spent alot :) the

day before and they wanted to verify I had spent all the money! That was a hassle and embarrassing at walmart to have my card rejected!!!BUT they saved my basket and I went right back and paid for the purchase**with my card :D I don't mind showing my ID but it is a hassle because I dont want to dig it out of my wallet!

Just wait till a merchant ask for your finger print, I can assure you it will lemonade you off.

I know from first hand experience.

THEY DO THAT AT MY BANK FOR NON-CUSTOMERS

BUT THAT IS FOR A "CHECK"

A CHECK IS LIKE A PROMISSORY NOTE

A PROMISE OF PAYMENT IN THE NEAR FUTURE

CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF---CHECKS ARE NOT CASH!!!

Edited by GEORGE

ASKING FOR "ID" IS SUPPOSED TO FIND A BUNCH OF LOST CARDS?????

um.. no. what I was trying to say was, if you lose your card.. and didnt report it.. and someone grabs your card, goes and use it and that particular Walmart didnt check ID so the charges ran.. and u end up with charges that arent yours. and yes of coures its your own fault for not reporting it timely. but when I said "Maybe you'll hate walmart for not checking ID" it was just bad sarcasm.

okay i partially read the thread but will put in my two cents - i am a manager for a high volume retail store and if the name is smudge or barely legiable or the person is purchasing a gift cert over 100 dollars i and my associates ask for ID - who is it going to hurt? no one? plus we get chargebacks - so if all the associates are doing their job we will be avoiding theft. we win and you have to pull out a drivers license - as far as you using your husbands card if you are not an AU on it and you sign he calls the credit card company saying it isnt his purchase - walmart fowards the recipt with your signature to the issuer where it clearly isnt even his name and might be forced to charge it back unless they can make it out as your wifes signature in which case they may only charge it back if you press charges (i believe it greatly depends on dollar amounts) but either get him to add you as AU or dont use his card in WALMART

edit - since you are an AU on the account you should have made the cashier call the CC company and they can verify that information

Edited by mrhope

It takes your husband a 10 min phone call to add you as an AU.

I wish people would get this worked up over companies like Lexis Nexis and Choice Point selling your personal info to anybody with $50

[EDIT]

1--2 WEEKS

George, I said i have my own card but I left it at home so I used DH's.

I CAN'T USE MY WIFE'S CREDIT CARD...I'M ON THAT ACCOUNT

That is why I have my own card (WITH MY NAME)

ALWAYS CARRY A BACK-UP CARD OR TWO--"IF" YOU LEAVE HOME WITH-OUT IT

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. PAFICO
      PAFICO
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    valentiinemon
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines