Sign in to follow this  
joshbgosh

Wal-mart violates VISA/MC policies...

I'm opposed to showing ID as a solution, but I agree there is a problem. Of course, I am not really liable for fraudulent transactions. Zero liability with Visa, and limited by law to $50 on any credit card. So really it's not my problem, it's the Merchant and the card issuer.

NOBODY forces the merchant to take Visa and MC. They wouldn't do it if it weren't profitable. Sure they have a right to protect themselves against fraud... But by accepting these cards, they agreed to the rules and for whatever reason, Visa and MC don't feel it is necessary for the consumer to show ID.

(Side note, DW works in retail and I was telling her about this and she had no idea. I wonder how well these rules are communicated to the people who actually deal with the customers?)

As a consumer, I have a right to protect my identity by keeping my ID to myself. I also have a right not to be singled out for ID (because of my race, my dress, my gender, etc.) when the three people in front of me weren't asked.

What I wouldn't be opposed to is a better solution. I'd be happy to use some sort of PIN number. Does anybody feel that wouldn't address the situation as well as or better than a driver license? Seems it would be harder to get the card and PIN than the card and (possibly fake) ID.

For online purchases, Visa and MC are putting in policies to use a password to checkout. I bought something online a week or so ago, MC wanted me to enable the password feature. The text said it would be required in the near future for any MC online purchase. To me this is being on the right track.

Note to GEORGE - I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but there is a junction box on the side of our house where the phone lines come in from the street and then go to our house. It's not very hard (trivial really) to open the box up and plug a phone in there. Was kind of scary when I realized how easy that is.

Note to GEORGE - I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but there is a junction box on the side of our house where the phone lines come in from the street and then go to our house.  It's not very hard (trivial really) to open the box up and plug a phone in there.  Was kind of scary when I realized how easy that is.

:)

Verizon CSRs will instruct you to do this to prevent an unnecessary trouble callout...The box is called a NID and is usually gray. Ive developed a nasty lil habit of using it as a phone extension when Im outside

:angry:

Verizon CSRs will instruct you to do this to prevent an unnecessary trouble callout...The box is called a NID and is usually gray.  Ive developed a nasty lil habit of using it as a phone extension when Im outside

Exactly how I found out. The phone company told me to!

I have only seen a few stores that actually follow a proper policy.

1) Ring up merchandise and swipe card

2) Hold card and give customer receipt to sign

3) COMPARE signature on credit card slip versus that on signature slip. If they match you are golden.

I have a problem with showing ID. Mostly as a matter of convenience, but also as a matter of privacy. One of these people with "SEE ID" on the signature strip will end up giving their card and DL to a restaurant server after dinner. Then a few days/weeks/months later strange charges will start appearing! It will be then that it is realized that maybe they shouldn't have given their DL to PROVE it was their card!

I WANT TO SO BAD GET A PROMPT "CALL CARD ISSUER FOR APPROVAL" AND THEN BE ABLE TO TELL THEM THE CARD IS SIGNED BY CID...IT DOESN'T MATCH THE NAME ON THE FRONT...IT SAYS JOHN JONES...CID IS NOT AT THE REGISTER AND THE DRIVERS LICENSE SAYS JOHN JONES...AND THE PICTURE MATCHES THE PERSON AT THE REGISTER...I DON'T KNOW CID IS

Edited by GEORGE

Ok.. for the "anti-ID" camp: What does visa/mastercard policy say about the transactions at Wendy's and other small purchases where they swipe the card, but signature isn't required?

Wendy's is assuming the liability. They do not ask for a signature and that is their choice. In fact the only time a merchant needas to prove something was signed is in the instance of a chargeback.

Some Fast Food places are willing to take the risk, rather than hold up the lines.

However.....Most issuers will credit back any dispute under $25.00 without initiating a chargeback. So even if somone disputed the charges, chances are it would never get back to Wendy's. I have always felt that these merchants were taking advantage of that loophole.

I'm opposed to showing ID as a solution, but I agree there is a problem.  Of course, I am not really liable for fraudulent transactions.  Zero liability with Visa, and limited by law to $50 on any credit card.  So really it's not my problem, it's the Merchant and the card issuer.

NOBODY forces the merchant to take Visa and MC.  They wouldn't do it if it weren't profitable.  Sure they have a right to protect themselves against fraud... But by accepting these cards, they agreed to the rules and for whatever reason, Visa and MC don't feel it is necessary for the consumer to show ID.

(Side note, DW works in retail and I was telling her about this and she had no idea.  I wonder how well these rules are communicated to the people who actually deal with the customers?)

As a consumer, I have a right to protect my identity by keeping my ID to myself.  I also have a right not to be singled out for ID (because of my race, my dress, my gender, etc.) when the three people in front of me weren't asked.

What I wouldn't be opposed to is a better solution.  I'd be happy to use some sort of PIN number.  Does anybody feel that wouldn't address the situation as well as or better than a driver license?  Seems it would be harder to get the card and PIN than the card and (possibly fake) ID.

For online purchases, Visa and MC are putting in policies to use a password to checkout.  I bought something online a week or so ago, MC wanted me to enable the password feature.  The text said it would be required in the near future for any MC online purchase.  To me this is being on the right track.

Note to GEORGE - I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but there is a junction box on the side of our house where the phone lines come in from the street and then go to our house.  It's not very hard (trivial really) to open the box up and plug a phone in there.  Was kind of scary when I realized how easy that is.

THE PHONE COMPANY SAID PLUG YOU PHONE IN THAT BOX TO TEST THE LINE..."IF" IT IS DEAD YOU CAN CALL REPAIR SERVICE..."IF" IT WORKS...DON'T CALL...CHECK YOUR PHONE...OR BUY A NEW ONE!!!

THE PHONE COMPANY SAID PLUG YOU PHONE IN THAT BOX TO TEST THE LINE..."IF" IT IS DEAD YOU CAN CALL REPAIR SERVICE..."IF" IT WORKS...DON'T CALL...CHECK YOUR PHONE...OR BUY A NEW ONE!!!

Something like that. If the line is dead from the box outside, they repair for free. If it's only dead inside the house and I still have them come out, I have to pay them.

I just mentioned it because you said something about breaking into the house and activating a card from the home phone. That wouldn't be necessary, the phone box is real easy to get to.

-LB

Something like that. If the line is dead from the box outside, they repair for free. If it's only dead inside the house and I still have them come out, I have to pay them.

I just mentioned it because you said something about breaking into the house and activating a card from the home phone. That wouldn't be necessary, the phone box is real easy to get to.

-LB

"IF" they carry a phone with them...AND the neighbors don't ask questions...AND nobody driving by asks questions...AND you know all the answers

Ok.. for the "anti-ID" camp: What does visa/mastercard policy say about the transactions at Wendy's and other small purchases where they swipe the card, but signature isn't required?

Wendy's is assuming the liability. They do not ask for a signature and that is their choice. In fact the only time a merchant needas to prove something was signed is in the instance of a chargeback.

Some Fast Food places are willing to take the risk, rather than hold up the lines.

However.....Most issuers will credit back any dispute under $25.00 without initiating a chargeback. So even if somone disputed the charges, chances are it would never get back to Wendy's. I have always felt that these merchants were taking advantage of that loophole.

In this instance the post says 'when the signature isn't required'. Like I said before, the merchant would not be liable. They are set up specifically not to have to request signatures unless it's over a certain amount. Some examples where I liver are Chick-fil-A, Quik Trip, and I think a couple of Burger Kings. Please keep in mind this is only a select few merchants and if you notice when you purchase from them there is no signature line on the receipts. Now, if it is a merchant that is not set up to process this way then yes they would risk chargebacks if the signature is not obtained. Have a good one!

i would bet that every so often the machine tells the cashier to check id... 1 in 20 for example.. but really, if your name isnt on the card, how can you expect to use it? if you were not an authorized user, i would imagine that is criminal... i actually prefer to be asked for id.. identity theft is out there...

i would bet that every so often the machine tells the cashier to check id... 1 in 20 for example.. but really, if your name isnt on the card, how can you expect to use it?  if you were not an authorized user, i would imagine that is criminal...  i actually prefer to be asked for id..  identity theft is out there...

Where I work this happens only during our busiest times of the year: August, December, January and May. I've been asked many times by a credit card company, that I've called for authorization, if the person using the credit card has their ID or Driver's licence with them. I am told to compare the signatures on the card with the sig on the driver's license and then I usually hand the phone over to the customer to answer what ever questions the CSR has for them, the call ends with an authorization number or a decline. I am going to assume that because the computer prompts me to call for authorization (and it's the cc company doing it) that when the computer prompts for an ID or DL # it's the CC company as well. I know that we don't keep that information in our computers because when the customer returns something we must have the CC they used to make that purchase. I know that with Walmart it's different. They keep that information in their system because I have never had to present my CC for a return (not exactly comfortable with that knowledge either).

i would bet that every so often the machine tells the cashier to check id... 1 in 20 for example.. but really, if your name isnt on the card, how can you expect to use it?  if you were not an authorized user, i would imagine that is criminal...  i actually prefer to be asked for id..  identity theft is out there...

Where I work this happens only during our busiest times of the year: August, December, January and May. I've been asked many times by a credit card company, that I've called for authorization, if the person using the credit card has their ID or Driver's licence with them. I am told to compare the signatures on the card with the sig on the driver's license and then I usually hand the phone over to the customer to answer what ever questions the CSR has for them, the call ends with an authorization number or a decline. I am going to assume that because the computer prompts me to call for authorization (and it's the cc company doing it) that when the computer prompts for an ID or DL # it's the CC company as well. I know that we don't keep that information in our computers because when the customer returns something we must have the CC they used to make that purchase. I know that with Walmart it's different. They keep that information in their system because I have never had to present my CC for a return (not exactly comfortable with that knowledge either).

"CALL FOR AUTHORIZATION" IS THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY ASKING

ID is required for the call

I'm opposed to showing ID as a solution, but I agree there is a problem.  Of course, I am not really liable for fraudulent transactions.  Zero liability with Visa, and limited by law to $50 on any credit card.  So really it's not my problem, it's the Merchant and the card issuer.

It still comes back to you in the form of higher prices and card fees and interest. Somebody has to pay for it, and 'You know what' rolls downhill... it's always your problem.

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines