Sign in to follow this  
joshbgosh

Wal-mart violates VISA/MC policies...

I know there was a BIG thread on this a few weeks ago but i can't seem to find it.

I jsut wanted to know who should i complain to about this? I talked to a manager at the store and she said they have the right to implement their own policies and ask for ID, I'm like ..."sure you do BUT VISA/MC also has the right to cancell their contract with you if you violate their policies" she didn't get it.

Should I call VISA and MC or call Wal-mart Corp. offices?

I would write to both. I wouldn't bother calling

I will never fully understand why this upsets people so much. Who the heck cares if you have to take 2 seconds to pull a form of ID. All it does is protect you in the end. I would never be upset over this but I know others are.

I'm surprised this happened at Walmart. The card never leaves my hands when I go in there. I swipe it in the machine and stick it back in my wallet, while the cashier is still scanning.

Yep that used to be the case for me at walmart, but now, after I scan my card the cashier asks for my card and ID.

The reason I am bothered is because I was using my husbands card yesterday and I was forsed to write a check, it was quite a hassle.

I know there was a BIG thread on this a few weeks ago but i can't seem to find it.

I jsut wanted to know who should i complain to about this? I talked to a manager at the store and she said they have the right to implement their own policies and ask for ID, I'm like ..."sure you do BUT VISA/MC also has the right to cancell their contract with you if you violate their policies" she didn't get it.

hehe, I started that thread...search "Requirement to show ID". I _think_ if you're doing self-checkout that the show id message is triggered by the issuer, but I'd like to know for sure. I would contact your card issuer first to make sure that they didn't request the check, and then report them to Visa/MC if this was only done based on Walmart policy.

hehe, I started that thread...search "Requirement to show ID". I _think_ if you're doing self-checkout that the show id message is triggered by the issuer, but I'd like to know for sure. I would contact your card issuer first to make sure that they didn't request the check, and then report them to Visa/MC if this was only done based on Walmart policy.

it was done only by wal-marts policy, the manager informed me they have recently started doing it.

Edited by joshbgosh

The Wal*Marts at which I shop seem to have something programmed into the registers to ask for certain info or to direct cashier to verify info. Since I'm the only one using my card, the usual request is to "verify signature," when it goes over a certain amount. Usually the cashier keeps the card while I sign the slip, and then he/she compares signatures.

The reason I am bothered is because I was using my husbands card yesterday and I was forsed to write a check, it was quite a hassle.

That is a pain. It's one of the reasons I put myself on dh's accounts as an AU. I was tired of wondering if they were going to refuse allowing me to charge on his account.

I would still write, it will get you further then a phone call. Google up visa and mastercards merchant agreement. I'm sure it's somewhere.

here's the thing. what will complaining really do?

I'm not saying to sit back and take it. but MC and VISA wont suddenly revoke walmart's merchant account.

I suppose if enough people complain, the coporate side of walmart will eventually decide maybe this policy isnt a good thing.

I mean its meant to protect as mentioned, and it did. what happend if you werent the actual wife? and your husband card was lost/stolen and the person takes a shopping spree at walmart because they dont care (like many places) about showing ID.

then maybe you'll hate walmart for not checking ID.

if you're a seller/merchant you'll definitely want to check too, even if its signed. a simple check can protect you from fraud and troublesome chargebacks.

I mean even signed card doesnt mean much.. nor are signatures when you sign for the receipt. I mean its already been established that no one checks on that... its suppose to match up on whats signed in the back, but who checks anyway.

I dont know, is it really that big of an issue? I know it was a hassle to have to write a check, but its not like they were trying to screw you over by asking for your ID. you know?

That is a pain. It's one of the reasons I put myself on dh's accounts as an AU. I was tired of wondering if they were going to refuse allowing me to charge on his account.

I would still write, it will get you further then a phone call. Google up visa and mastercards merchant agreement. I'm sure it's somewhere.

Found in the other thread.

Policies

Here is the thread.

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82795&hl=

If your name is not on the front of the card, they are not supposed to accept it. Of course they don't know your name, but if a man's name was on the front they may have been suspicous. In that case, they should have called in a "code 10" to see if you are an authorized user.

hehe, I started that thread...search "Requirement to show ID". I _think_ if you're doing self-checkout that the show id message is triggered by the issuer,

There is no "check id" trigger by MC and Visa. If they think there is a problem with a card, a message flashes to "contact issuer".

here's the thing. what will complaining really do?

I'm not saying to sit back and take it. but MC and VISA wont suddenly revoke walmart's merchant account.

I suppose if enough people complain, the coporate side of walmart will eventually decide maybe this policy isnt a good thing.

I mean its meant to protect as mentioned, and it did. what happend if you werent the actual wife? and your husband card was lost/stolen and the person takes a shopping spree at walmart because they dont care (like many places) about showing ID.

then maybe you'll hate walmart for not checking ID.

if you're a seller/merchant you'll definitely want to check too, even if its signed. a simple check can protect you from fraud and troublesome chargebacks.

I mean even signed card doesnt mean much.. nor are signatures when you sign for the receipt. I mean its already been established that no one checks on that... its suppose to match up on whats signed in the back, but who checks anyway.

I dont know, is it really that big of an issue? I know it was a hassle to have to write a check, but its not like they were trying to screw you over by asking for your ID. you know?

I believe I said in an earlier post in this thread that my Wal*Marts actually compare signatures when the message comes up...and they do it by keeping the card while you sign the slip, and then they compare the signature on card to the one on the slip.

Wal*Mart isn't the only one that does this. I had Office Depot to do a signature check. As a result, someone does do it at times. Not all the time, but at times.

My walmart has those electronic signature things and even if they compared signatures, mine would look nothing like it does on paper.

I'm all over the screen with those things and it's just a mess. I can't imagine others don't have that same issue.

They will fine. If it continues they will revoke the branch's account that keeps violating the policy.

I suppose if enough people complain, the coporate side of walmart will eventually decide maybe this policy isnt a good thing

It is not a corporate policy. I have called before and the corporation says it is not their policy.

I mean its meant to protect as mentioned, and it did. what happend if you werent the actual wife? and your husband card was lost/stolen and the person takes a shopping spree at walmart because they dont care (like many places) about showing ID

If you read the thread linked above, you will know checking id is no protection.

Once again, read that thread. A simple check can get a merchant fined or their account revoked.

One would think that it _would_ be corporate policy if their self-checkout machines flash the "check customer ID" message all the time...these machines aren't reprogrammed for every branch. Else this must be somehow triggered by the issuer.

A friend was behind a white customer that used her CC, she checked out and was not asked to see her ID. When my friend went to pay with his CC (he is hispanic) the cashier said asked for his ID. He pointed out that the lady in front of him was not asked to show hers, the cashier said it was policy. He was upset about the treatment and the cashier had to get a CSM over to back her up. He left with all his groceries at the register. Wally world customer service is a joke. This was in Texas.

They asked for my ID as well, (I was using my own card) I showed my ID and asked the cashier if he was aware that it was against Visa members agreement, he said "Yes Ma'am I am but its to fight identity theft and for your own protection"

Hmmm ... interesting. I got asked for my id at Walmart too this weekend. Never have been asked; the person in front of me wasn't asked either.

I wonder if they've had a sudden rash of problems that's making them do this?

Wow, this seems to be happening a lot to us Texans, lol. Maybe we all shop in the same hickville store :-)

Edited by Elotemuygrande

Wow, this seems to be happening a lot to us Texans, lol. Maybe we all shop in the same hickville store :-)

I live in Houston; no "hickville" store anywhere close to me. I am not hispanic or black; I cannot be mistaken for anything other than white. I don't know why they are asking, but maybe it's happening for a reason - what that reason is, I don't know.

I live in Houston; no "hickville" store anywhere close to me. I am not hispanic or black; I cannot be mistaken for anything other than white. I don't know why they are asking, but maybe it's happening for a reason - what that reason is, I don't know.

I'm in Stephenville now...this never happened to me at the Austin Walmart I used to live next to.

Edited by Elotemuygrande

One would think that it _would_ be corporate policy if their self-checkout machines flash the "check customer ID" message all the time...these machines aren't reprogrammed for every branch. Else this must be somehow triggered by the issuer.

They machines are not all programed the same. They are programed by state and even region. We have a large firm here that handles a lot of grocery store machines. I don't think walmart is included but know that they reprogram for each store and state.

I fully agree that writing might not seem to mean much but if enough people complain, that is how change happens.

I do think it's random. I've seen the check customers ID, flash on the screen. I've just never been asked for anything when it does. I think it varies from cashier to cashier.

They machines are not all programed the same. They are programed by state and even region. We have a large firm here that handles a lot of grocery store machines. I don't think walmart is included but know that they reprogram for each store and state.

I fully agree that writing might not seem to mean much but if enough people complain, that is how change happens.

I do think it's random. I've seen the check customers ID, flash on the screen. I've just never been asked for anything when it does. I think it varies from cashier to cashier.

I would find THAT more troublesome than having to dig out my id!

I'm in Stephenville now...this never happened to me at the Austin Walmart I used to live next to.

I live south of San Antonio, Hicksville definitely, same situation as Quilty though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    JerHawk
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines