Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

How much retirement do you have?

The last post in this topic was posted 1200 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

How much retirement do you have?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. How much retirement do you have?

• I'm relying on SS
    • Less than $5,000
    • $5,000 - $10,000
    • $10,000 - $20,000
    • $20,000 - $50,000
    • $50,000 - $100,000
    • $100,000 - $250,000
    • Over $250,000

I'm 25 and have $15,000 in an ING savings account. I just started last month with my companies 401k which matches 6%. I'm just happy i started my 401k nice and early :blush:

Edited by MrMut

Age 23: About $1k in my Roth and I just opened my a 401k with my company. They match up to 4%. I'm starting with 5% and boosting to 8 or 10% in a few months.

I am disabled so I personally have nothing. DH will be 35 next month and is finally in a job that actually has retirement. Retirement is hard to save for when you live paycheck to paycheck. Since June 2005 he has been putting 7% with weekly paychecks so has around $1500. But June 2006, his employer will start adding 3% AND start him a pension as well.

I hope to be able to find someway to earn money and then I will start an IRA but I have to find an income first. Right now I am still waiting for a decision on my SSD app so I don't even have that income.

I am 30, I have 57k in my 403b (funding at 1,700 per month) and 2 houses (1 is paid off, the other has a 267k mortgage that will be paid off in 10 years). So overall life isn't bad, I'll retire at 60-65.

I joined Radi8s work-till-ya-die plan, however after careful consideration I am thinking about dropping out for the "I am winning the lottery" theory. :lol:

Actually, I have a little put away :o Nothing to retire on, but working on it

I joined Radi8s work-till-ya-die plan, however after careful consideration I am thinking about dropping out for the "I am winning the lottery" theory. :D

Actually, I have a little put away :) Nothing to retire on, but working on it

Shove over and gimme that ticket- the lottery idea was mine first. It came to me one day while I was squeegying windshields at the stoplight.

You might consider the "collecting soda cans for the deposit" plan instead. (It's tax free!) :rofl:

Actually, I've started a modest savings plan with ING funds. Nothing to get all excited about yet, but it's a start.

At 43, the amount I have to save monthly to have a respectable sum at retirement is pretty overwhelming. Handing out carts at WalMart is gonna be in the cards unless some serious cash starts to free up around here.

You have the advantage of time.....get saving, buddy!

Shove over and gimme that ticket- the lottery idea was mine first. It came to me one day while I was squeegying windshields at the stoplight.

You might consider the "collecting soda cans for the deposit" plan instead. (It's tax free!) :lol:

Actually, I've started a modest savings plan with ING funds. Nothing to get all excited about yet, but it's a start.

At 43, the amount I have to save monthly to have a respectable sum at retirement is pretty overwhelming. Handing out carts at WalMart is gonna be in the cards unless some serious cash starts to free up around here.

Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers :D

I will think about giving you a tip if you do a better job squeegying my windshield next time, you MISSED a spot :o Your never going to retire that way, slacker :P

You might consider the "collecting soda cans for the deposit" plan instead. (It's tax free!) :D

Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers :o

I will think about giving you a tip if you do a better job squeegying my windshield next time, you MISSED a spot :P Your never going to retire that way, slacker :rofl:

Very funny, turning on the wipers. That hurt. :lol:

Very funny, turning on the wipers. That hurt. :rofl:

Nobody believes you :rofl: I look much to sweet to do any such thing :rofl:

Sooo....how much did I owe you to keep ya quiet anyway??

Your going to ruin my retirement plan, once I win the lottery..someone always comes along to sue and there ya are planning it already :blink:

I'm 26 years old and have 60K in my 401K. Another 2K in government bonds that was a gift when I graduated high school in 97. (Can't believe it has been nearly 10 years!!)

36K of equity in my home. Not too bad so far.

I too am gonna have to join Radi8's idea of "work til ya die" at least for now :good:

I'll be 22 in a few months, but am still in college. I don't have any retirement plans..Fi's OFFERS a 401K I believe, but right NOW we're stretching all our money as tight as it goes :P I'm trying to figure out a way to put enough in savings AND be able to afford to enroll him in the 40k (even at just 4-6%) but so far the numbers just aren't coming together....Especially with the paycheck we pay rent on. We barely have enough left over in that check for groceries, diapers, and diaper wipes. *shrug* I dunno.

I too am gonna have to join Radi8's idea of "work til ya die" at least for now :good:

I'll be 22 in a few months, but am still in college. I don't have any retirement plans..Fi's OFFERS a 401K I believe, but right NOW we're stretching all our money as tight as it goes :P I'm trying to figure out a way to put enough in savings AND be able to afford to enroll him in the 40k (even at just 4-6%) but so far the numbers just aren't coming together....Especially with the paycheck we pay rent on. We barely have enough left over in that check for groceries, diapers, and diaper wipes. *shrug* I dunno.

Makes me feel a *little* better about having kids in our mid 30's, I still would have rather had more years instead.

I have roughly 150k in my SEP-IRA. Have numerous mutual funds and stocks that aren't even added into that 200k. Also have two money market accounts with ~100k. I usually distribute 30% of my paycheck towards my SEP, mutual funds, money market.

Here in a few months I'll have a mortgage payment, so I'll have to wait and see if that takes a cut into my %. I think for my age I'm way ahead of the game! :P

I too am gonna have to join Radi8's idea of "work til ya die" at least for now :P

I'll be 22 in a few months, but am still in college. I don't have any retirement plans..Fi's OFFERS a 401K I believe, but right NOW we're stretching all our money as tight as it goes :( I'm trying to figure out a way to put enough in savings AND be able to afford to enroll him in the 40k (even at just 4-6%) but so far the numbers just aren't coming together....Especially with the paycheck we pay rent on. We barely have enough left over in that check for groceries, diapers, and diaper wipes. *shrug* I dunno.

Angel..your just a baby yet :P Once your out of college,hopefully land a good job with that degree, the money will be there.

You will have time to put away for retirement :rolleyes: and your here, so theres no doubt you will do it, once things settle down a bit..

Your on the right path, dont feel bad

Contributing 20% of income to company-sponsored 401k, which means I max out sometime in the fall (can only contribute $14K in 2005); started contributing to retirement at 28, but at a much lower amount

Company match: ~60 cents on the dollar for the first 6%, or something like that

Current balance: ~$145K

Like another poster, I think it would be nice to get a reality check. How much is enough by a certain age? If I were still 28, I'd be doing cartwheels over $145K. At 40, I wonder if it'll be enough.

Mike

I THOUGHT (when I was a kid 60's and 70's) THEY WERE SAYING YOU WOULD NEED $1,000,000+ TO LIVE COMFORTABLY

I am shooting for about $4,000,000 in assets by retirement (in 35 years), that should be a very comfortable way to live for quite a few years. Could probably make it with a lot less depending on where you want to live I guess.

I THOUGHT (when I was a kid 60's and 70's) THEY WERE SAYING YOU WOULD NEED $1,000,000+ TO LIVE COMFORTABLY

A million saved at even 6% would yield 60K/year in interest alone. Depending on your expenses and lifestyle, one could live quite well on that alone and never touch the principle.

I too am gonna have to join Radi8's idea of "work til ya die" at least for now :P

I'll be 22 in a few months, but am still in college. I don't have any retirement plans..Fi's OFFERS a 401K I believe, but right NOW we're stretching all our money as tight as it goes :( I'm trying to figure out a way to put enough in savings AND be able to afford to enroll him in the 40k (even at just 4-6%) but so far the numbers just aren't coming together....Especially with the paycheck we pay rent on. We barely have enough left over in that check for groceries, diapers, and diaper wipes. *shrug* I dunno.

Makes me feel a *little* better about having kids in our mid 30's, I still would have rather had more years instead.

She may not have been PLANNED, but she's very loved, and I don't regret a minute of any of the sacrifices we've had to make for her. It's tough going, I'll admit...but just to see her laugh and giggle when I tickle the backs of her knees, is MORE than enough pay for me. :cry2:

Angel..your just a baby yet :P Once your out of college,hopefully land a good job with that degree, the money will be there.

You will have time to put away for retirement :cry2: and your here, so theres no doubt you will do it, once things settle down a bit..

Your on the right path, dont feel bad

Thanks, that's what I figure as well. Just give me a decent paying job where I can afford daycare, and have decent healthcare, and I'll be able to crunch the numbers so we can BOTH contribute (heck, if we can get by now, we can get by w/ two jobs...and when he goes to school we should have the GI money for his schooling...while I won't COUNT on it, at the very least we won't need daycare *hopefully* and I'll be making more than he does now *knock on wood*)

Angel, enjoy every moment you can with her because they grow up fast. My children are 13 and 14 and it seems like I just had them.

I am using my GI Bill now. I have used it for most of my studies.

Edited by SDMuse

At the moment...$0. It's paycheck to paycheck for us right now, and neither my employer or DH's offers a retirement/saving vehicle. However, my parents are sitting on 80 acres of land that will make a beautiful residential neighborhood in 5-7 years, and there will be plenty of inheritance to go around (straight into assorted trusts, of course) when the time comes to cash out.

Me age 42, Wife age 40 - Together in retirement and other long term investments: $215K. We both are fortunate to have 401K's that match a small amount and can contribute each year in a Roth. With the match this year we will max out by adding $42K to our nest egg. If we keep this up with a decent return over the next 10 years we should be over $1M before the wife turns 50. That's going to be my birthday gift to her!!

i'm 27, just started my roth ira. i have no employer contributions to anything. i have $1600.

Husband is 34, has $18,000 in a 401k. His company stopped matching without telling him, so we've got some problems there.

The last post in this topic was posted 1200 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.