Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Can you be legally sued for judgement..

The last post in this topic was posted 5611 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I know this is sooo foul...but I'm wondering if I can be sued for an old account that is in my married name? It's for an apartment lease that was broken when my husband and I separated. The amount owed is about $3000. My name was the only one on the lease because my husband had a previous broken lease TL on his credit report. Now that I am back to my maiden name, can I get out of this if they decide to file a judgement?

It's not really your name that they'd be going after. I bet they have your social security number. That's what they'd use to figure out who you were and who you are.

How long ago did you move? Are you still within your state's SOL?

agreed...they don't care what name you have...they just want their money....people change their name everyday...imagine how easy it would be to escape debt just by changing your name....

hope this doesn't sound too harsh...but really,...think about it

Yes, I'm still within my states SOL. The lease was broken last year and I live in MD. The rental office was supposed to forward the bill to my current address, but never did. Instead they played stupid and sent it directly to collections.... I called the collection agency and they're playing dumb too...they say they don't have me on their records.... Something isn't right... The apartment complex gave me the number of a collection agency who hasn't handled their accounts for two years...the lawyer then gave me another phone number for the lawyer that supposedly handles my former complex. Once I called them, they said that I'm not on record....

I don't mind paying the debt, that's why I contacted them in the first place....of course the other side of my brain is thinking of ways to get out of it.

Yes, I'm still within my states SOL.  The lease was broken last year and I live in MD.  The rental office was supposed to forward the bill to my current address, but never did.  Instead they played stupid and sent it directly to collections....  I called the collection agency and they're playing dumb too...they say they don't have me on their records.... Something isn't right...  The apartment complex gave me the number of a collection agency who hasn't handled their accounts for two years...the lawyer then gave me another phone number for the lawyer that supposedly handles my former complex.  Once I called them, they said that I'm not on record....

what name are you giving them?

No one has sent me anything. I was calling them to get the bill taken care of.... I had no idea that it had been sent to collections until today.

Yes, I'm still within my states SOL.  The lease was broken last year and I live in MD.  The rental office was supposed to forward the bill to my current address, but never did.  Instead they played stupid and sent it directly to collections....  I called the collection agency and they're playing dumb too...they say they don't have me on their records.... Something isn't right...  The apartment complex gave me the number of a collection agency who hasn't handled their accounts for two years...the lawyer then gave me another phone number for the lawyer that supposedly handles my former complex.  Once I called them, they said that I'm not on record....

what name are you giving them?

My married name

If is2211 is looking at an imminent lawsuit, or a judgment, or already has a judgment against her based on an apartment lease, DV'ing won't help her, will it?

If she acknowledges the debt, as she says she does, isn't Pay-for-deletion the clear answer for her?

You broke the lease and the rental office knew that you were breaking the lease before you moved? Did you talk to the rental office and give them a forwarding address?

MD could be different from VA but I disputed fees from a rental office because they didn't mail the final bill until 9 months after I left. The county landlord/tenant relations group told me that they have 6 months to send the final bill. I forwarded this information to the rental office and they stopped trying to collect. Like I said, could be different in MD but worth checking.

The CA says that they do not report to the CRA. So I'm not really worried about that. I just don't want them to sue me later over a misunderstanding. The apartment complex is telling me that I need to take it up directly with the CA which is what I was attempting to do. But, how can I do that if they claim they have no record of me? I don't want to just sit on it, becuase I'm sure it will come back to bite me in the @ss (which is when I would resort to the 'not mine' scenario). I'm just trying to weigh my options is all....

Edited by is2211

You broke the lease and the rental office knew that you were breaking the lease before you moved? Did you talk to the rental office and give them a forwarding address?

MD could be different from VA but I disputed fees from a rental office because they didn't mail the final bill until 9 months after I left. The county landlord/tenant relations group told me that they have 6 months to send the final bill. I forwarded this information to the rental office and they stopped trying to collect. Like I said, could be different in MD but worth checking.

in MD, they have 45 days to send an itemized list of fees and damages, if any...

Get a letter from the CA stating that they have no account for you and are not collecting on a debt for such and scuh apartments, atleast you have that in writing if they try to come after you later on.

in MD, they have 45 days to send an itemized list of fees and damages, if any...

They haven't done this...no itemized list of fees/damages or rent owed. This is why I was calling them in the first place, as I stated before, I don't mind paying. They were given my forwarding address by CMRR. They still sent nothing...now I find out that it's been sent to collections and they don't even have my forwarding address info noted on the account.

I phoned the rental office and sent them forwarding address documentation CMRR. This was over 3 months ago. They did not know however that I was going to break the lease. I had about 3 months left to go on the lease before it was broken.

The last post in this topic was posted 5611 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.