Sign in to follow this  
Elotemuygrande

Requirement to show Id

Here's my question.....

What if I need to make a purchase, let's say at Best Buy and they ask to see my ID for using my CC and I refuse to show it, won't they just say "then we won't accept your CC sir". They seem to ask for it everywhere, Walmart, Circuit City, local furniture stores, bookstores,etc.

If I use my CC 10 times a week, at least 5 of those places ask to see ID, in fact it seems when I go to make large purchases with the card (over $1,000) they almost always ask to see ID because they consider it such a large purchase

and a lot of people say they have the right to ask and you'll only make yourself look suspicious if you refuse to show it

besides, if you refuse to show it, they're not going to let you purchase the "stuff" with a CC

so what's the answer? tons of places ask to see your ID when you use your CC, if you tell them no they won't let you use your CC to buy your stuff, also there's a local store I go to where half the time they ask for it and half the time they don't

so what's the answer?......just hope the place you want to go to buy the "stuff" accepts your CC with no ID, that seems like a silly way to live

here's a second question....when people add "SEE ID" right next to their signature on the back of the card, is this allowed? I know you can't just write SEE ID, you have to have that signature, but are they allowed to have both?

to me it seems to silly have SEE ID on the back of the card anyways...(my parents are old and they believe in that mumbo jumbo)

bump

Edited by ufjoe21

Ahh! Right as allways George!

http://usa.visa.com/about_visa/ask_visa/in...20Visa#anchor_4

Minimum Purchase

Visa merchants are not permitted to establish minimum transaction amounts, even on sale items. They also are not permitted to charge you a fee when you want to use your Visa card.

If you run into a problem like this with a merchant, please notify the financial institution that issued you your Visa card. These institutions have access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations and can help you document and file your complaint. You'll find their address and/or telephone number on your Visa statement. Their telephone number may also appear on the back of the card itself.

Here's my question.....

What if I need to make a purchase, let's say at Best Buy and they ask to see my ID for using my CC and I refuse to show it, won't they just say "then we won't accept your CC sir".  They seem to ask for it everywhere, Walmart, Circuit City, local furniture stores, bookstores,etc.

If I use my CC 10 times a week, at least 5 of those places ask to see ID, in fact it seems when I go to make large purchases with the card (over $1,000) they almost always ask to see ID because they consider it such a large purchase

and a lot of people say they have the right to ask and you'll only make yourself look suspicious if you refuse to show it

besides, if you refuse to show it, they're not going to let you purchase the "stuff" with a CC

so what's the answer? tons of places ask to see your ID when you use your CC, if you tell them no they won't let you use your CC to buy your stuff, also there's a local store I go to where half the time they ask for it and half the time they don't

so what's the answer?......just hope the place you want to go to buy the "stuff" accepts your CC with no ID, that seems like a silly way to live

here's a second question....when people add "SEE ID" right next to their signature on the back of the card, is this allowed? I know you can't just write SEE ID, you have to have that signature, but are they allowed to have both?

to me it seems to silly have SEE ID on the back of the card anyways...(my parents are old and they believe in that mumbo jumbo)

bump

"IF" you want to show ID...then show it!!!

I just don't...(except I did when I was in line at BEST BUY (in CA) for like 1/2 hour (or more) after CHRISTMAS (like 12/27 or 12/28)

It violates credit card policy and they "CAN" lose the right to accept credit cards and also be FINED BIG TIME $$$$$$$ BY VISA/MC...AND I TELL THEM I AM SHOWING IT UNDER PROTEST AND I WILL REPORT THEM TO VISA/MC AND WHAT THE CONSEQUENCES CAN BE...

I also have showed a letter that is from VISA and another one from M/C telling them that they don't have to ask for ID on a signed credit card (or some such words)

I WOULD JUST WALK AWAY FROM THE SALE

You can also call your credit card company from your cellphone and say the store is demanding my ID on my signed credit card...

From the last time this came up, in the consumer protection forum -- Merchant policy/laws, thanks again to enigma and GB:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69033

And on your driver's license using a social security number vs a random number (to keep your state from selling your information and other sinister purposes) -- Drivers Privacy Protection Act:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/2721.shtml

Sassy

From the last time this came up, in the consumer protection forum -- Merchant policy/laws, thanks again to enigma and GB:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69033

And on your driver's license using a social security number vs a random number (to keep your state from selling your information and other sinister purposes) -- Drivers Privacy Protection Act:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/2721.shtml

Sassy

Good stuff there...anyone have similar documents for Amex/Discover? I searched their sites an found squat.

I have a question relating to this show ID. I just recently stayed at a unnamed cabin company who required that they have my ID and photo copy it and my credit card used to pay for the cabin. Umm isn't this a clear violation? And before those of you that whine about us folks that don't want to show ID and say I could have gone somewhere else. THey didn't state this policy until after they already had charged my card 200.00 which was non-refundable. Sure I could have said Up yours and walked but then I would be out 200.00 .

I'm contacting BOFA about this as I feel that's a serious problem with ID Theft. Who knows who these kids are behind the counter with a copy of my credit card and DL. :beee:

Why are you so worried about it?  What does it hurt to show your ID?

It doesn't do any harm, it only helps protect you.

Tell me what the problem is.

Protects me, right... now the cashier with the quick memory has not only my name, and card number (and quite likely the CID from the back) They have my address. Bam, anything they want is on my dime.

On the other hand is Joe Schmuck, steals my card. I call and within seconds he can't do squat. If he makes it to the store before I get to a phone (maybe he stole my cell too, If you are wise you keep your credit issuers numbers in it, as well as someplace safe) I can dispute the charges and I owe nothing.

The store is not protecting me. They don't give a damn about me. They are trying to protect their bottom line from a chargeback. But guess what, if they compared the signature strip, they'd likely catch the crook anyway, and as long as the store can prove that they verified the signature, Visa's insurance absorbs the cost.

I'm with George on this one. If they ask for ID, I politely refuse, usually telling them its against Mastercard(I seldom use my Visa...) policy. If they insist, and I need the item right now, I'll show it to them, under protest. Other wise, I'll demand my card back, and leave with nothing.

I did make one exception recently. My master card has been swiped so many times that the signature strip is actual worn down to wear the my signature is cut in half and little VOIDS are becoming visible. It doesnt expire for several more months, but I'm ordering a new card. I figured since the signature is worn nearly off, and the cashier did actually look at it, that I'd be nice.

As for the minimum purchase garbage, my Universities book store tried that one. No purchases under $5 on credit, that didn't last long. A local liqour store tried adding a 50cent credit surchage since my purchase was small, that didn't work either.

Ooh, while I'm still thinking about it. Yeah lets all use a pin, thats one more thing for me to remember for each card (because its not secure if I use the same one on all of them, and I'm a security junkie) Add that to umpteen passwords, and theres no room left in my brain to remember my GF's name.

Plus, the way 90-99% of store keypads are situated if Joe Shmuck casually glances my way, he can "shoulder surf" my pin.

I'll enter a pin at the POS, when... well.. never. In fact, I don't even know the PIN for my debit card. I have direct deposit, hardly ever spend cash... hence I haven't used it in so long I'd have too look it up in order to withdraw from my account.

I have a question relating to this show ID. I just recently stayed at a unnamed cabin company who required that they have my ID and photo copy it and my credit card used to pay for the cabin. Umm isn't this a clear violation? And before those of you that whine about us folks that don't want to show ID and say I could have gone somewhere else. THey didn't state this policy until after they already had charged my card 200.00 which was non-refundable. Sure I could have said Up yours and walked but then I would be out 200.00 .

I'm contacting BOFA about this as I feel that's a serious problem with ID Theft. Who knows who these kids are behind the counter with a copy of my credit card and DL.  ;)

The cabin company would likely have requested an id for cash also. I'm frequently asked for id when checking into a hotel.

Yes but making a photocopy of your credit card?

I'd have pitched a huge conniption fit. Nuh-uh. Ain't gonna happen. Not in this lifetime.

At this point, I'd be calling to request a new number from my card issuer, while explaining why. And I'd be sending the name and address and any other pertinent information to Visa/MC/Amex/whatever card you used.

ETA: non-refundable, maybe. But not non-disputable. I'd have walked out, disputed the charge with BofA, and told them that you refused to stay there because they wanted to photocopy your card. I'd have told that to their fraud investigators. And check your state laws, I bet there's something in there about it, along with the laws that say they can't write your CC number on your check for ID.

I don't understand why everybody is getting their panties in a wad because the cashier asks for I.D. This may seem off handed but most of the time it is a young kid making minimum wage ringing me up, hardly a rocket scientist that is going to memorize all my info and go on a shopping spree. I mean, what are the odds of that actually happening?? Chances are greater that someone will steal your card and go on a spending spree that could have been stopped if the snot nosed kid would have asked for I.D. It's happened to me before, my wallet stolen, and although I wasn't liable for the thousands of dollars of charges it was still a HUGE PAIN IN THE A$$.

Visa merchants are not permitted to establish minimum transaction amounts, even on sale items. They also are not permitted to charge you a fee when you want to use your Visa card.

Does this also apply to a checkcard that has the Visa logo?

I don't understand why everybody is getting their panties in a wad because the cashier asks for I.D.

Our undies are twisted because it's a violation of the terms the merchant agrees to when they accept the card. Pure and simple.

I don't understand why you don't understand that.

Would your attitude be as cavalier in any other situation in which someone violated the rules and justified it by saying "we know it's against the rules, but we'll do it anyway?"

Yes but making a photocopy of your credit card?

I'd have pitched a huge conniption fit. Nuh-uh.  Ain't gonna happen.  Not in this lifetime.

At this point, I'd be calling to request a new number from my card issuer, while explaining why.  And I'd be sending the name and address and any other pertinent information to Visa/MC/Amex/whatever card you used.

ETA:  non-refundable, maybe.  But not non-disputable.  I'd have walked out, disputed the charge with BofA, and told them that you refused to stay there because they wanted to photocopy your card.  I'd have told that to their fraud investigators.  And check your state laws, I bet there's something in there about it, along with the laws that say they can't write your CC number on your check for ID.

Well I'm back home now. Nice vacation but I am worried that this information being held for 2 years (for what reason god only knows) will fall into the wrong hands. I wrote an email to the company protesting the practice and when I finally get slowed down from the trip I'll follow up with BOFA and Discover.

This is what they said " We copy your ID and Credit Card cause people claim they were never here and charge it back " Umm well I'm clearly here and I signed the CC slip. Why do you need this information for 2 years? "In case you dispute 6 months down the road" :clapping: Oh yeah I believe the dispute time period is 60 days from the statement date.

This all occured in Pigeon Forge, TN I can't find information about the laws in Tennessee on copying credit cards and ID. But in Florida I think(don't know) haven't checked but copying a persons ID and Credit Card on the same piece of paper I would think is highly unethical in the least and I know BOFA CSR I talked to had a fit when I told her what they did. She said when I was done with the trip to call them back and talk to the Fraud Division.

And here's a little tidbit of information. I got back this evening and went to Sonnys BBQ and went to pay the bill reminding the cashier that I had 2 Big Deals not 1 (being honest) and she asks for ID? Huh Why? We are having problems with credit cards lately. Well the only credit card problem I know Sonnys is having is cashiers memorizing the Zip Code and printing a duplicate 3 copys 2 Merchants and 1 customer and then charging $3,000 on the internet. A cashier got arrested in Lake County Florida for doing that. So what stops any minimum wage worker from using my information and charging up a storm? A 1,000+ furniture store purchase I would hope they ask for ID but for 13.00 worth of BBQ Pleasseeee.

Can someone point to tennessee law showing where a Hotel or rental establishment can PHOTOCOPY a persons ID along with their credit card? I've stayed at 5 star resorts and never been asked for ID let alone had it copied. :D

I don't understand why everybody is getting their panties in a wad because the cashier asks for I.D. This may seem off handed but most of the time it is a young kid making minimum wage ringing me up, hardly a rocket scientist that is going to memorize all my info and go on a shopping spree. I mean, what are the odds of that actually happening??  Chances are greater that someone will steal your card and go on a spending spree that could have been stopped if the snot nosed kid would have asked for I.D.  It's happened to me before, my wallet stolen, and although I wasn't liable for the thousands of dollars of charges it was still a HUGE PAIN IN THE A$$.

VIOLATES VISA/MC POLICY

You like showing your ID I won't stop you but don't expect me to!!!

I have been asked for ID at HOTELS almost every time...

BUT IT IS OVER THE LINE TO PHOTOCOPY THE CREDIT CARD AND THE DRIVERS LICENSE!!!

I'm contacting BOFA about this as I feel that's a serious problem with ID Theft. Who knows who these kids are behind the counter with a copy of my credit card and DL.  :D

I WOULD ASK CREDIT CARD SECURITY FOR A NEW ACCOUNT NUMBER AND HAVE THEM CALL THE "UNNAMED" CABIN COMPANY

Edited by GEORGE

GEORGE - imma pistol whip ya for being up so late! :D

GEORGE is the man! - that is all I have to say at this point. Tomorrow is a new day.

Edited by Sultan

I have been asked for ID at HOTELS almost every time...

BUT IT IS OVER THE LINE TO PHOTOCOPY THE CREDIT CARD AND THE DRIVERS LICENSE!!!

Thanks George, your opinion is invaluable. I must be a lucky guy I guess. Stayed at the Sheraton in downtown Nashville NO ID asked for. Stayed at the Marriott in Saint Louis NO ID, Westin Downtown Atlanta NO ID. Now I did stay at a Motel 6 one time (desperate in Podunk Kentucky somewhere and had to show ID. Guess it's all in the places we hang a hat at on the road. I had to wrestle my DL out of the holder it hadn't been removed in over a year.

Side note to travelers: Stay out of Downtown Nashville. Those folks are smoking something with there $26.00 a night self parking fee. I need to buy some concrete in Nashville I'd be rich. :D

It's a stupid policy. The CC companies need to get a clue, just like those who are more concerned with the "rain man" clerk memorizing their drivers license info than they are with someone finding or stealing their card and racking up charges.

Even though you wouldn't be liable, it's still a pain in the flowers to dispute the charges.

ID checks are the smart thing.

It's a stupid policy.  The CC companies need to get a clue, just like those who are more concerned with the "rain man" clerk memorizing their drivers license info than they are with someone finding or stealing their card and racking up charges. 

Even though you wouldn't be liable, it's still a pain in the flowers to dispute the charges.

ID checks are the smart thing.

Umm I guess in your world people that are dishonest don't exist. And that copying a credit card and a persons drivers license is A Ok in your book. Your very niave in your thinking. And after reading all this I still haven't seen you respond to how the merchant is protecting "Me" by asking for my ID on a signed card, let alone copying the card and my ID on the same piece of paper!!

Now onto the unnamed cabin companys response. They claim they make a copy to prove I'm old enough to rent a cabin. :D And for damages done to the cabin if they are done so they can track the person. The reason they gave for copying the credit card is that they have to have some sort of validation that the card used to place the reservation actually existed. :lol: Oh So I guess asking for the CVS # and billing address isn't enough. They are changing their policies to imprint the card and not copy it for guest protection. Still didn't get an answer to as why they need the information for 2 years. But BOFA is chewing them a new one. And I'm requesting new card account numbers so the little 18 year old behind the counter doesn't go out and charge up 1K's in my name.

I'm contacting BOFA about this as I feel that's a serious problem with ID Theft. Who knows who these kids are behind the counter with a copy of my credit card and DL.  <_<

In this case, I'd say they've already approved and completed the transaction when they charged your card. At the very least, they'd have to issue a refund. At that point, you'd have a decision to make. Which is more important, your rights, or your plans.

Protects me, right...  now the cashier with the quick memory has not only my name,  and card number (and quite likely the CID from the back) They have my address.  Bam, anything they want is on my dime.

No offense, but that cracked me up. Yeah, I see these really smart cashiers all over the place.

On the other hand is Joe Schmuck, steals my card.  I call and within seconds he can't do squat.  If he makes it to the store before I get to a phone (maybe he stole my cell too, If you are wise you keep your credit issuers numbers in it, as well as someplace safe)  I can dispute the charges and I owe nothing.

You may not have a line item on your bill, but you still pay. You still pay for your mistakes and everyone else's. In the form of higher fees, interest rates, and prices. The cunsimer is the low person on the list, and you-know-what ALWAYS flows downhill. To think that you don't pay a dime is shortsighted.

The store is not protecting me.  They don't give a damn about me.  They are trying to protect their bottom line from a chargeback.  But guess what, if they compared the signature strip, they'd likely catch the crook anyway, and as long as the store can prove that they verified the signature, Visa's insurance absorbs the cost.

Their priorities are with themselves first, absolutely. That doesn't mean, however, that you can't get a coincidental benefit, also.

As for the minimum purchase garbage, my Universities book store tried that one.  No purchases under $5 on credit, that didn't last long.  A local liqour store tried adding a 50cent credit surchage since my purchase was small, that didn't work either.

There's a local deli near where I work that charges a surcharge for credit card use. It's not only against card compnay policy, in California it's against the law.

As a side note, California law says a surcharge cannot be levied for credit card use, but a discount can be given for cash purchases. Go figure.

As for the minimum purchase garbage, my Universities book store tried that one.  No purchases under $5 on credit, that didn't last long.  A local liqour store tried adding a 50cent credit surchage since my purchase was small, that didn't work either.

I was in my campus copy center one day and saw two different students use their credit cards to pay for a single ten cent photocopy. The clerk wouldn't run the credit card for less than $1, so they both paid a dollar for a single copy. In that situation, it would have likely cost the business more to process the CC transaction than they were making on the sale. Seemed reasonable to me in that specific situation.