Sign in to follow this  
Elotemuygrande

Requirement to show Id

Some state's driver's licenses have you ss#.

I think most states that use the SSN for the DL# are starting to phase this out. I know Florida is anyway.

GO TO DMV A.S.A.P. AND GET A NEW NUMBER SS NUMBER IS A WRONG THING TO HAVE FOR A DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER!!!

COLORADO HAS...

YEAR OF ISSUE

THEN 3 NUMBERS...THEN 4 NUMBERS

05-234-5678

THAT IS GOOD FOR ALMOST 10,000,000 NEW PEOPLE PER YEAR

SS NUMBER USED AS A DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER IS A GOOD WAY TO ENABLE SOMEBODY TO COMMIT FRAUD!!!

The STATE OF COLORADO allows people to add their SS# on the face of the DL

HOW STUPID CAN THEY GET???

When they asked if I wanted my SS# on my DL...I ASKED THEM IF THEY REALLY THOUGHT I WAS AN salamander

What if it is store policy to check ID, like its store policy to require shoes and a shirt.  Would that still be violation?  The Home Depot here has a notice at the POS terminal that states that they require ID for check card or credit card purchases.  I didn't want to show it but didn't feel like protesting at the time either.

THEY CAN KEEP THEIR "STUFF" AND I CAN REPORT THEM TO VISA/MC

...AND I WILL TELL THEM WHY I'M WALKING...AND I TELL THEM I'M REPORTING THEM TO VISA/MC

WAY TOO MANY OF THE STUPID CHECK WRITERS LEAVE THEIR DRIVERS LICENSE IN THE CAR...

"IF" WE HAD TO ASK FOR ID ON EVERY CREDIT CARD WE WOULD HAVE LINES OUT THE BACK DOOR WAITING FOR PEOPLE TO SHOW UP WITH THEIR DRIVERS LICENSE TO USE THEIR CREDIT CARD!!!

Edited by GEORGE

The problem George will face is that the retailer could simply say we've had charge back issues with such and such a product, thus we suspect fraud. End of dispute. Merchant wins.

If the store policy was to ask for ID from every customer, including those spending cash, I'd have less of a problem with it.

But the merchant agreements clearly state that a signed, valid card is all the ID necessary to complete a purchase...PERIOD!

The problem George will face is that the retailer could simply say we've had charge back issues with such and such a product, thus we suspect fraud. End of dispute. Merchant wins.

DOES THE MERCHANT REALLY WIN WHEN THEY LOSE THE SALE TO THE PLACE DOWN THE STREET???

"IF" they really suspect "FRAUD" they can make a CODE 10 CALL

Completely untrue. Chargebacks are a completely different thing than fraud. If a credit card is fraudulently used to make a purchase, the merchant is out nothing. Not one red cent. If they followed the rules set forth by the credit card companies, they lose nothing.

The reality is that if your Visa is stolen and someone goes to Best Buy with it to buy a Plasma TV, the thief gets away with the TV, Best Buy suffers from a charge back (and never gets their TV back), and so on. The bigger problem is when they return this to the store BEFORE the theft is reported and get a Gift Card out of it. The GC is sold on eBay, giving the thief a nice wad of cash. From my understanding this is a rampant issue at Best Buy and other retailers.

The reality is that BestBuy gets their money even if it was a fraudulent purchase, as long as they follow procedures.

Most merchant agreements allow for IDs to be check if fraud is suspected. And, fraud hasn't really been defined.

WRONG!!!! Merchant agreements are pretty standard accross the board and all of them have the same policies set by MC and Visa. IF a merchant suspects fraud they are to contact MC or VISA FIRST and tell them they have a "Code 10". The issuer then gets on the phone and asks the cardholder some questions. At that time the issuer may request that the merchant ask for id if the issuer suspects fraud.

If a card is used fraudulently and the merchant follows correct procedures, the merchant will get their money regardless. Merchant wins nothing, but a nasty warning from MC and Visa about requesting ID.

I think most states that use the SSN for the DL# are starting to phase this out. I know Florida is anyway.

Yeah. I am in Florida and they quit many years ago. They only did it for a short timr.

GO TO DMV A.S.A.P. AND GET A NEW NUMBER SS NUMBER IS A WRONG THING TO HAVE FOR A DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER!!!

COLORADO HAS...

YEAR OF ISSUE

05-234-5678

SS NUMBER USED AS A DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER IS A GOOD WAY TO ENABLE SOMEBODY TO COMMIT FRAUD!!!

When they asked if I wanted my SS# on my DL...I ASKED THEM IF THEY REALLY THOUGHT I WAS AN salamander

What did they say?? :angry:

COLORADO HAS...

YEAR OF ISSUE

05-234-5678

What did they say?? :angry:

They knew I was one of THOSE CALIFORNIA PEOPLE SO THEY KNEW WHAT THE ANSWER WAS...BEFORE I ASKED IT!!!

I would also like to add that asking for id can be seen as profiling. There have been numerous instances of merchants only asking for ID from certain minority groups. MC and Visa do not want charges of racism or anything like that leveled. IE: An electronics chain, instructed employees to card "black males" that purchased laptops. They made it seem like it was MC and Visa policy. Between Mc and Visa and the bad publicity, they got served.

A few months ago I went to RadioShack to purchase a phone. There were 4 other people in front of me at the checkout line. Three of these used CC as a form of payment, they were not asked for ID.

When it was my turn to pay with CC, quess what the cashier asked.

May I see your ID please?,

and of course me being the nice gentle person I am, I exploded on this salamander.

I asked him, do I look like a thief?

he says,, well um NO.

ME:Then why are you asking for my ID, do you not realize its againt your companys agreement with the CC issuer?

Him: Sir, im not aware of any such agreement.

ME: Is the manager present ?I would like to speak with him or her.

HIm: NO shes not sir. Sir if you would like to make your purchase I need to see your ID.

Me: May I see your ID, how do i know that you really work here?

HIm: Sir im not going to argue with you, I need to see your ID or I cant let you pay with your CC.

Me: You just said its MY creditcard, why cant I use it without showing ID?

Him: Sir, I dont know if it is your credit card unless I see a form of ID.

ME: You just said it MY CREDITCARD, either run the card or I will leave the store.

Him: Sir do as you wish.

Me: Goodbye

I called Amex, doubt if anything ever came of it.

Completely untrue. Chargebacks are a completely different thing than fraud. If a credit card is fraudulently used to make a purchase, the merchant is out nothing. Not one red cent. If they followed the rules set forth by the credit card companies, they lose nothing.

So, I take a stolen credit card into Best Buy, get one of them snazzy $5,000 TVs, take it home, set it up, and enjoy my free (because, it'll get charged back) TV. Best Buy is out the TV. Are they out the $5,000 too?

Can't the bank go to the merchant to get its money back? I mean, PayPal does this all the time. They are the payment processor and when they get a chargeback request, it is up to the seller to pay up (if they aren't covered by the protection).

The merchant agreements do say they can check cards IF they suspect fraud.

Best Buy will still get paid. You need to learn the difference between fraudulent purchases and chargebacks.

The bank is the one that stands to lose the money, not the store. And the banks have insurance to cover these things.

Than again, what about banks (like BofA) that want merchants (BofA is a merchant processor) to check IDs?

"IF" I GET A CALL FOR REFERAL I HAVE TO ASK FOR ID!!!

VISA/MC/DISCOVERCARD/AMEX is going to ask if the person is in the store at the register and their ID matches the person...they sometimes ask me to read information off the ID

FULL NAME

ADDRESS

CITY

STATE

ZIP

EVEN DL#

D.O.B.

THEY EVEN SOMETIMES HAVE ASKED IF THE CARD IS SIGNED...

OH I WISH I HAD ONE OF THOSE STUPID C.I.D. CARDS!!!

(no it is not signed it says C.I.D. that is not a legal signature...SO THE ANSWER IS NO IT IS NOT SIGNED)

Sometimes they ask to speak to the customer after they ask me 20 questions...sometimes not

Cops are the ones who push CID. My guess is that filling out police reports for stolen credit cards takes too much time and that's why the recommend it.

Best Buy will still get paid. You need to learn the difference between fraudulent purchases and chargebacks.

The bank is the one that stands to lose the money, not the store. And the banks have insurance to cover these things.

A FRAUDULENT PURCHASE IS A CRIME

You "CAN" chargeback for various reasons...NONE OF WHICH ARE CRIMES

I would also like to add that asking for id can be seen as profiling. There have been numerous instances of merchants only asking for ID from certain minority groups. MC and Visa do not want charges of racism or anything like that leveled. IE: An electronics chain, instructed employees to card "black males" that purchased laptops. They made it seem like it was MC and Visa policy. Between Mc and Visa and the bad publicity, they got served.

A few months ago I went to RadioShack to purchase a phone. There were 4 other people in front of me at the checkout line. Three of these used CC as a form of payment, they were not asked for ID.

When it was my turn to pay with CC, quess what the cashier asked.

May I see your ID please?,

and of course me being the nice gentle person I am, I exploded on this salamander.

I asked him, do I look like a thief?

he says,, well um NO.

ME:Then why are you asking for my ID, do you not realize its againt your companys agreement with the CC issuer?

Him: Sir, im not aware of any such agreement.

ME: Is the manager present ?I would like to speak with him or her.

HIm: NO shes not sir. Sir if you would like to make your purchase I need to see your ID.

Me: May I see your ID, how do i know that you really work here?

HIm: Sir im not going to argue with you, I need to see your ID or I cant let you pay with your CC.

Me: You just said its MY creditcard, why cant I use it without showing ID?

Him: Sir, I dont know if it is your credit card unless I see a form of ID.

ME: You just said it MY CREDITCARD, either run the card or I will leave the store.

Him: Sir do as you wish.

Me: Goodbye

I called Amex, doubt if anything ever came of it.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." Jules Winnfield from Pulp Fiction relaying Quentin Tarantino's interpretation of Ezekiel 25:17? it certainly wasn't the Kings James version :)

Cops are the ones who push CID. My guess is that filling out police reports for stolen credit cards takes too much time and that's why the recommend it.

...AND THEY ALSO ASKED ME FOR MY SS# FOR A REPORT!!!!

SORRY CHARLIE...AIN'T GETTING IT!!!

You want the information on the crime...accident...whatever thing...NO SS# OR YOU GET NO INFORMATION!!!

Edited by GEORGE

2 cents from TNM

Last time I saw a Virginia DL they used SS Number as DL Number.

Today at the airport in Cincinatti (Technically northern Kentucky) the lady at the coffee shop asked every single person using a credit card for their id, even for a $2 cup of joe.

Then I watched her tell one women that on her receipt all of her credit card numbers showed up and how that was illegal. I wanted to tell her that having the full credit card number show up is not yet illegal, I think there is still a grace period but it will soon be illegal. I did want to tell her that her asking for id was in violation of her merchant agreement.

But I held my tounge b\c I just didn't want to deal with it

TNM

A FRAUDULENT PURCHASE IS A CRIME

You "CAN" chargeback for various reasons...NONE OF WHICH ARE CRIMES

However a chargeback can be fraud, which happens ALL THE TIME on eBay/PayPal. People buy stuff, claim it was never received, defective, not as described, etc. Than they keep the merchandise, service, etc. AND their cash. And, in the case of eBay/PayPal, the SELLER loses. However, too many claims could cause a red flag and you could be investigated for criminal activity.

Can't the bank go to the merchant to get its money back? I mean, PayPal does this all the time. They are the payment processor and when they get a chargeback request, it is up to the seller to pay up (if they aren't covered by the protection).

Paypal is not a processor nor are they a bank. They can not issue merchant accounts. They are considered a merchant that uses various suppliers (IE: Paypal members to fulfill orders) if they take money back from their suppliers that is not MC or Visa's problem. If one of their suppliers does not fulfill their duty and a chargeback is initiated, the money comes from Paypal. Paypal then takes the money from the user.

That is why they now allow people to make purchases without, being a member of Paypal. Visa and MC got complaints and called them on it. A merchant can not require a cardholder to become a member as a condition of accepting a card for a purchase. Any merchant that displays the MC or Visa logos or name MUST accept all cards that are proffered that meet the requirements set forth by MC and Visa.

I don't know why merchants don't set up their own accounts. Less hassle and less fraud than dealing with paypal.

The merchant agreements do say they can check cards IF they suspect fraud.

I have had and currently have merchant accounts from various processors such as: Echo-Inc, First Omaha, Redwood Bank, First Union and several others. NOT ONE of the agreements has ever said I can check for ID.

We are told to call a "code 10" as both George and I have said before.

We have posted this in this thread and we have listed the info from both MC and Visa to the contrary. I don't know why you keep bring up something that is not true.

Of course, George had to bring up the cops asking for an SSN on a police report. Hey, what if you were in the military? You do know what your serial number is don't you? Hehehehe.

I remember one of the hostages starting to read his SSN on the video. I couldn't believe they didn't cut that out when airing on TV.

However a chargeback can be fraud, which happens ALL THE TIME on eBay/PayPal. People buy stuff, claim it was never received, defective, not as described, etc. Than they keep the merchandise, service, etc. AND their cash. And, in the case of eBay/PayPal, the SELLER loses. However, too many claims could cause a red flag and you could be investigated for criminal activity.

That is why sellers should get their own merchant account. If a buyer initiates a chargeback for any reason other than item not received, they need to show proof that the merchandise was returned to the seller. Paypal does not require that.

Any merchant that does mail order is informed that they need to have proof of delivery. If a merchant ships and does not get any proof of the delivery, then the buyer will win the dispute.

2 cents from TNM

Last time I saw a Virginia DL they used SS Number as DL Number.

Today at the airport in Cincinatti (Technically northern Kentucky) the lady at the coffee shop asked every single person using a credit card for their id, even for a $2 cup of joe.

Then I watched her tell one women that on her receipt all of her credit card numbers showed up and how that was illegal. I wanted to tell her that having the full credit card number show up is not yet illegal, I think there is still a grace period but it will soon be illegal. I did want to tell her that her asking for id was in violation of her merchant agreement.

But I held my tounge b\c I just didn't want to deal with it

TNM

CVG/Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (CVG)

Cincinnati, OH, USA

I HAVE BEEN THERE!!!

DEN~~CVG~~BGR