Sign in to follow this  
Elotemuygrande

Requirement to show Id

Like a clerk will really be able to memorize your name and address after seeing your ID for 10 seconds. Get outta here.....

Racial profiling? That's a real stretch. If it ever happened at all, it was very isolated.

Businesses like Best Buy check ID for me every time I go in there, and I am a white female.

Somebody mentioned the "card issuer prompt" and that's a very good point. I've seen this quite a bit.

JUST A FACT...

THAT IS A CARD ISSUER PROMPT

And in those cases they aren't violating Visa/MC policy, right? Since it's the card issuer, rather than the retailer asking to check the ID.

I've heard you can actually have this placed on your account to require the prompt.

NOT A VIOLATION...

Some credit cards "DID" have that as a way to confirm receipt of the card by US MAIL (before they started the CALL 800# FROM HOME or WORK PHONE)

Check ID for the first purchase...

Yea, the Target guest card does that. They don't even put a sticky on the card with a number to activate.

MC and Visa POLICY is trumped by the LAW--which allows merchants to ask you for id for MANY reasons.

For example--most people know that you can be carded if you buy alcohol--but you can also be carded if you are buying a marker or liquid paper or paint.

There are many many laws that not only enable but REQUIRE merchants to ask for ID and in all cases the LAW trumps the POLICY of the issuing agent of the card.

That may be true, but those instances of asking for ID require it for purchases using any payment method, including cash.

What is being discussed here are merchants who ask for ID only when using a credit card. It's contrary to the rules set forth be the credit card companies.

It's also an invasion of my privacy, and puts us one step backward toward a society that asks to "show me your papers!"

I agree. If a card is not in the system as reported lost or stolen, I don't see why there should be a demand to see "identification." It does seem like a small step toward getting people used to answering to Big Brother.

my point is simply that the LAW gives merchants a wide latitude in checking ids.

In EVERY case the LAW trumps card policy. If requested, you can refuse to show the id, however, if you do the merchant is under no LEGAL obligation to complete your transaction. And you have NO legal grounds to sue.

I am sorry that it is so inconvenient for so many of the people here--perhaps they should concentrate on changing or challenging the LAWS instead of pointing to MC/Visa policy--these policies are simply guidelines and have ZERO legal standing.

soldiergurl74

Like a clerk will really be able to memorize your name and address after seeing your ID for 10 seconds. Get outta here.....

I'm a victum of a stalker and he was able to question a store clerk and track me down while I was in hiding.She didn't have my id for more than a few seconds either. Simple things like giving your zip code when a clerk asks can track you.

Don't think these are rare either, they are numerous in occurance and contribute to the many facets of the stalking law.

I also do not allow the employee to say my name out loud. After 10 yrs. of that he's on the loose and is older and has access to more funds to pull his stunts.

If you're safe in your world, good for you, but some of us NEED to be more cautious and we need the rules and laws in place to allow us that caution.

Cgn

Edited by cognoman

my point is simply that the LAW gives merchants a wide latitude in checking ids.

In EVERY case the LAW trumps card policy. If requested, you can refuse to show the id, however, if you do the merchant is under no LEGAL obligation to complete your transaction. And you have NO legal grounds to sue.

I am sorry that it is so inconvenient for so many of the people here--perhaps they should concentrate on changing or challenging the LAWS instead of pointing to MC/Visa policy--these policies are simply guidelines and have ZERO legal standing.

HUHHH??????????????

WHAT LAW??????????????

...AND I HAVE A RIGHT TO LET THEM KEEP THEIR "STUFF"

...AND I HAVE TO RIGHT TO NOTIFY VISA/MC

...AND VISA/MC HAS A RIGHT TO PULL THEIR ACCOUNT

SO WHAT IF YOU HAVE NO LEGAL GROUNDS TO FILE A SUIT

(and who said they were going to file on them because they asked for ID???)

Edited by GEORGE

What do you do wisper "I'M IN HIDING...DON'T SAY MY NAME OUT LOUD"???

How can one prevent it???

Thank you for shopping with us today Mr & Mrs JONES...

Edited by GEORGE

They don't need to remember your name. It is on your credit card reciept. As for the rest, It does not take that long to remember part of an address or zipcode in a familiar city.

Racial profiling? That's a real stretch. If it ever happened at all, it was very isolated.

It is not a stretch. I don't have any reason to lie. It isn't that isolated either. But, then I live in the real world, read and watch the news. Perhaps that is why I know of it.

Businesses like Best Buy check ID for me every time I go in there, and I am a white female.

So. You don't care...remember. Best Buy used to ask for id for credit cards here. Until MC and Visa busted them. And I quote one of their employees: "Does he look like he should have the card."

Please, post one of these laws. Two of my processors have never heard of any and neither has Visa. Mastercard is researching, but according to them they have not heard of any either, "unless it is recent legislation".

Please list one of these cases. The merchant is under a LEGAL obligation to complete the sale. The merchant has a LEGALLY enforcable contract with MC and Visa. I don't need to sue. I just complain and MC and Visa take care of the rest. Trust me, no merchant wants to be on their blacklist.

I am sorry that it is so inconvenient for so many of the people here--perhaps they should concentrate on changing or challenging the LAWS instead of pointing to MC/Visa policy--these policies are simply guidelines and have ZERO legal standing

Once again...back to the LAWS. What LAWS? Name one.

As said before. Their policies are not guidelines. Mc and Visa policies are clearly spelled out in the contract signed by the merchant. If the merchant violates it MC and Visa can terminate the relationship.

And if they have ZERO legal standing, please explain why mastercard and visa, sue and fine merchants that violate the policies listed in their contracts?

I would love to know in what city or state, contracts "have ZERO legal standing". I need to move there and get rid of these mortgages.

In reference to profiling...

I am "DRESSED DOWN" so I couldn't possibly own an AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM DELTA CARD...I must have borrowed it

:( . Yep. I always tell employees to treat everyone the same and don't judge by appearances. We had one regular that looked like a homeless person. She spent about $700-$1000 in one of my stores. We could never figure out what she did with all of the clothes and shoes. We never saw her in any of the outfits.

I'm a victum of a stalker and he was able to question a store clerk and track me down while I was in hiding.She didn't have my id for more than a few seconds either. Simple things like giving your zip code when a clerk asks can track you.

Don't think these are rare either, they are numerous in occurance and contribute to the many facets of the stalking law.

I also do not allow the employee to say my name out loud. After 10 yrs. of that he's on the loose and is older and has access to more funds to pull his stunts.

If you're safe in your world, good for you, but some of us NEED to be more cautious and we need the rules and laws in place to allow us that caution.

Amen. I have been stalked. It ain't pleasant. It stinks and stalkers are sly. My employees are never allowed to give out info on a customer.

Edited to add: :o ...If you are having a problem with a harasser or stalker, make sure you contact places you dine at or shop at regularly and let them know not to give out any info on you. One of my stalkers got info on me by buying a gift certificate for me from one of my favorite stores. They didn't know about the situation and one of the sales girls told him the neighborhood, I had just moved to. He droved around the area until he spotted my car.

Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast....

Edited by orangecrush

What do you do wisper "I'M IN HIDING...DON'T SAY MY NAME OUT LOUD"???

How can one prevent it???

If I have to hand the card to them rather than swipe it, I say with a smile as I'm handing it to them "and please don't say the name out loud"

I've only received negative responses from males and since that gender is the usual stalker, I'm never surprised.

There isn't any legit reason for a merchant to announce your name in front of everyone.

Oh, and George, THANKS FOR NOT YELLING AT ME! :o:(

Cgn

Thank you for shopping with us today Mr & Mrs JONES...

REQUIRED BY LAW???

NO

It is just normal in many stores...

(assuming you use a CREDIT CARD or CHECK)

Edited by GEORGE

To be fair to many big chains, most of them don't know that their local branches are asking for ID as a condition to accept credit cards.

Big Lots and Walmart were very surpised when I complained. Sears was downright angry with my local branch and told me so.

Circuit City acted puzzled.

The worst offender ever...a store that was actually making copies of customers drivers licenses. They would ask to see id, when customers handed it to them they made copies of the licenses on a little copier right by the register. In my city that is a recipe for fraud and identity theft.

I never allow people to discuss certain things with me out loud either. For instance, when I'm on my way somewhere and stop off at the bank without my checkbook or deposit slips and want to make a transaction. They ask, "What's Your SS#" out loud. I tell them, "hand me a slip of paper and I'll write it down for you, then give it back to me"

When I was managing apartments, I always told my staff to address people as 'sir' or 'maam' when other people were around, not by name.

Some people refer to this kind of behavior as paranoia.......but there's a fine line between paranoia and heightened awareness.

I never allow people to discuss certain things with me out loud either.  For instance, when I'm on my way somewhere and stop off at the bank without my checkbook or deposit slips and want to make a transaction.  They ask, "What's Your SS#" out loud.  I tell them, "hand me a slip of paper and I'll write it down for you, then give it back to me"

When I was managing apartments, I always told my staff to address people as 'sir' or 'maam' when other people were around, not by name. 

Some people refer to this kind of behavior as paranoia.......but there's a fine line between paranoia and heightened awareness.

NOW THAT IS REALLY OUT OF LINE!!!!

To me "SIR" is a CUSS WORD!!!!!!

I know I'm STRANGE...but I tell some of the associates (closest ones I work with) I would prefer GEORGE or FRED or salamander NEVER SIR!!!

:aggressive:

ONE BEST BUY IN CA

ASKED FOR ID (last time I was home in CA)

It was like DECEMBER 26th or 27th so there was like 150 people in line and I was not going to "WALK" so I showed it but I told them it violates credit card policy and I was showing ID under protest had I not been in line for over 30 min I would have not bought anything...and that they "CAN" lose the right to accept credit cards by asking for ID on signed credit cards so they better RE-EVALUATE THEIR ID POLICY

I never allow people to discuss certain things with me out loud either. For instance, when I'm on my way somewhere and stop off at the bank without my checkbook or deposit slips and want to make a transaction. They ask, "What's Your SS#" out loud. I tell them, "hand me a slip of paper and I'll write it down for you, then give it back to me"

I do the same. It isn't paranoia. Identity theft is rampant and I am not going to enable someone to steal mine.

So, BofA has no problem with ID checks and actually recommends it. I learned this when I went to get my photo added to the card. She said that the photo is a good thing, but it isn't as necessary now that so many people check IDs.

I told her that it violated Visa policies. She agreed there, but said that few people ever actually report it.

Also, even when its reported, merchants have an out.

Most merchant agreements allow for IDs to be check if fraud is suspected. And, fraud hasn't really been defined.

Just remember ...

Merchant agreements and consumer protection laws favor business first, consumer second. (just like the new BK laws).

I remember reading somewhere on the forums that merchants are not allowed by Mastercard policy to ask for Id from customers using a Mastercard. Is this really true? I know most of the time when I go to Frys here in Texas they ask to see a photo ID when I present my Chase MC. I would like nothing better than to get those jerks at Frys in trouble...they've hassled me one to many times at the door :-) This also happens to me at wal-mart occasionally, but in those cases it seems it's at the request of the card issuer. Anyone know about this?

ID IS NOT REQUIRED FOR A SIGNED CARD

WALK AWAY WITH-OUT THE "STUFF"

Next time I will!

This doesn't seem to be widely know...I see people all the time asked for their ID and they comply because they don't know better. Maybe there should be a note in the newbie forums...

Lots of places ask. I get asked ALL THE TIME at the Best Buys here in Houston.

Some state's driver's licenses have you ss#.

I think most states that use the SSN for the DL# are starting to phase this out. I know Florida is anyway.

Lots of places ask.  I get asked ALL THE TIME at the Best Buys here in Houston.

I think Best Buy has lots of problems with fraud. They're dealing with big ticket items and excessive charge backs hurt.

The reality is that if your Visa is stolen and someone goes to Best Buy with it to buy a Plasma TV, the thief gets away with the TV, Best Buy suffers from a charge back (and never gets their TV back), and so on. The bigger problem is when they return this to the store BEFORE the theft is reported and get a Gift Card out of it. The GC is sold on eBay, giving the thief a nice wad of cash. From my understanding this is a rampant issue at Best Buy and other retailers.

I think it's especially problematic now that most merchants don't even touch your credit card. You swipe yourself at almost all merchants and at some you don't even sign a receipt (you sign the terminal). The only way the cashier sees your name is when it appears on the screen.

That's where the photo card become useless. And, it's where ID check becomes necessary

I think Best Buy has lots of problems with fraud. They're dealing with big ticket items and excessive charge backs hurt.

The reality is that if your Visa is stolen and someone goes to Best Buy with it to buy a Plasma TV, the thief gets away with the TV, Best Buy suffers from a charge back (and never gets their TV back), and so on. The bigger problem is when they return this to the store BEFORE the theft is reported and get a Gift Card out of it. The GC is sold on eBay, giving the thief a nice wad of cash. From my understanding this is a rampant issue at Best Buy and other retailers.

I think it's especially problematic now that most merchants don't even touch your credit card. You swipe yourself at almost all merchants and at some you don't even sign a receipt (you sign the terminal). The only way the cashier sees your name is when it appears on the screen.

That's where the photo card become useless. And, it's where ID check becomes necessary

True. I like the idea of a pin based transaction whether you are using a debit or a credit card. Now that more places are getting those POS terminals, I don't see why this could not be done.

Some state's driver's licenses have you ss#.

I think most states that use the SSN for the DL# are starting to phase this out. I know Florida is anyway.

GO TO DMV A.S.A.P. AND GET A NEW NUMBER SS NUMBER IS A WRONG THING TO HAVE FOR A DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER!!!

COLORADO HAS...

YEAR OF ISSUE

THEN 3 NUMBERS...THEN 4 NUMBERS

05-234-5678

THAT IS GOOD FOR ALMOST 10,000,000 NEW PEOPLE PER YEAR

SS NUMBER USED AS A DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER IS A GOOD WAY TO ENABLE SOMEBODY TO COMMIT FRAUD!!!

True. I like the idea of a pin based transaction whether you are using a debit or a credit card. Now that more places are getting those POS terminals, I don't see why this could not be done.

I give my ZIP CODE at WAL*MART for my AMEX DELTA CARD that is fine...

I don't like the PIN# deal because they many times don't let you pick your own number...(IF YOU CAN PICK IT FINE)--BUT THEN DON'T ASK FOR ID ALSO!!!!!!!!!

So is this credit card with the 7532 or 9259 or 1473 or 2843 pin# I ONLY HAVE 10 or 20 CARDS AND 10 or 20 DIFFERENT PIN NUMBERS!!!

What if it is store policy to check ID, like its store policy to require shoes and a shirt. Would that still be violation? The Home Depot here has a notice at the POS terminal that states that they require ID for check card or credit card purchases. I didn't want to show it but didn't feel like protesting at the time either.