Sign in to follow this  
Elotemuygrande

Requirement to show Id

I have both my signature AND "see ID" on my cards.

In those instances where the merchant actually handles my cards they usually don't ask. I WANT them to ask because there was someone in my town who is often mistaken for me, or asked if she is my sister, and i have an EX who can sign my name fairly well...

I don't mind being asked for ID...and I don't really understand what the hangup is...the cashier only sees it for an instant, then she moves on to the next customer. I worked retail...reading customer credit cards, after the signature, was the last thing on my mind.

CF

YOU LIKE TO SHOW ID...DO IT!!!

Why are you so worried about it? What does it hurt to show your ID?

It doesn't do any harm, it only helps protect you.

Tell me what the problem is.

Why are you so worried about it?  What does it hurt to show your ID?

YOU TELL ME WHY YOU LIKE TO FIRST...

I gotta go to work though...

I'm out of here to the "REAL WORLD"

Why are you so worried about it?  What does it hurt to show your ID?

YOU TELL ME WHY YOU LIKE TO FIRST...

I gotta go to work though...

I'm out of here to the "REAL WORLD"

For my protection. When they ask for my ID, I know they are checking to make sure it is really me. anyone can forge a signature.

Now, answer my question. Why is it so hard/what does it hurt to show your ID?

I worked retail...reading customer credit cards, after the signature, was the last thing on my mind.

That's because you are honest and are not out to stael anyones info.

Ok, for those of you that don't like showing ID: Do you think that signature matching (keeping in mind that your sig often doesn't look the same when you sign on one of those electronic machines) is sufficient enough to prevent fraud?

if a merchant institutes another layer of protection (i.e. ID checking), why does it matter so much to you? They are doing it for your and their protection? You already have your wallet out, just show your damn ID...

Merchants that ask for id are not protecting me. Mc and Visa does that. If I follow their policies I am protected from unauthorized charges.

If a merchant that asks for id sells to someone that looks like me and has stolen my card, is that merchant gonna pay me for the identity theft? I don't think so. They ain't protecting nobody, including themselves.

Once again....you need to worry about fraud IF YOU don't follow their policies. IE: Not signing the back of your card. Otherwise you are protected.

Let the merchant worry about the VISA/Mastercard policy, not you.

As a cardholder it is my right to worry about Visa/Mastercard policy when it infringes on my rights as a cardholder, which asking for ID does.

I JUST WAS AT THE POST OFFICE

"ALL CREDIT CARDS MUST BE SIGNED WITH YOUR NAME...CID...SEE ID...SEE LICENSE IS NOT A SIGNATURE"

Yep. The PO don't play.

My processor sent me a similar sign from MC and Visa. Asked us to post it on the countertop.

So a business is excepting a VOID CARD!!! (technically)

Exactly, which is why MC and Visa will go after the merchant.

Why are you so worried about it? What does it hurt to show your ID?

Tell me what the problem is.....

For my protection. When they ask for my ID, I know they are checking to make sure it is really me. anyone can forge a signature.

Now, answer my question. Why is it so hard/what does it hurt to show your ID?

We have told you the problem and your question has been answered repeatedly. You are either ignoring it or choose not to understand.

1) Anyone can steal your wallet with your id. They can look vaguly like you and use your cc.

2) Employees can use your info to steal your id.

How are you protected by a merchant that asks for ID? You are protected by the law and MC and Visa in the case of a stolen card. The merchant has nothing to do with that. So once again, how are they protecting you?

If you want to show your id, knock yourself out. That is your choice.

Oh and by the way....in a card swiped situation, the merchant is also almost always protected from a chargeback, unless he doesn't follow MC and Visa policies. There is no need for them to ask for id, to protect themselves or their customer.

I am a merchant, and for large purchases, *I* ask for ID. Many times the cardholder is happy that I did. Very rare to get someone angry because I wanna see ID on a $750 purchase or something. Lil stuff, I never bother......

well, technically, merchants are not suppose to accept any cards that does not have a signature on the back.

I don't mind showing ID, don't mind at all. With my nephew, sometimes I let him use my credit card and just tell him, just buy things at machines, such as metrocards and etc. Nothing with a vendor, unless the vendor knows me.

But nothing wrong in having your ID checked from time to time.

When I was under 21, which was like a million years ago. No club would card me, the funny part was after I turned 21, which was a million years ago, they began carding me. It was funny.

Don't have that problem anymore, after a million years later.

SINCE THE "MERCHANT" DOESN'T KNOW VISA/MC POLICY...I HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT

This is an interesting thread. Last night I purchased $10 worth of items with my Chase MC from WalMart. On the computer screen in front of me was a demand to the check out person: Check card holder's ID (or something very close. Hey, it was late!) All my cards are signed, so that was not the issue.

I wonder if the people who wrote the merchant manuals at MC and VISA know about that?

Edited by tallsaltlake

We have told you the problem and your question has been answered repeatedly. You are either ignoring it or choose not to understand.

1) Anyone can steal your wallet with your id. They can look vaguly like you and use your cc.

2) Employees can use your info to steal your id.

How are you protected by a merchant that asks for ID? You are protected by the law and MC and Visa in the case of a stolen card. The merchant has nothing to do with that. So once again, how are they protecting you?

There is more of a chance of someone forging the signature that you rely so much on than stealing your ID and trying to look like you.

Employees can steal your CC info with or without your ID...

You are more protected because the merchant would be able to refuse the transaction without a photo ID, and you wouldn't have to worry about the charges happening in the first place... then you wouldn't have to do a chargeback etc...

Why not have an extra layer of protection?

Yeah, I don't get the vehement dislike of being asked for your ID - I prefer it as well.

I'm just as protected on the charges end if the sales clerk memorizes my addy and then uses the card - but I'm more protected on the false signature end as I can prevent it up front (by using my ID as a requirement).

I love the idea of a PIN # required for all credit transactions - perhaps going to that method INSTEAD of signatures.

There is more of a chance of someone forging the signature that you rely so much on than stealing your ID and trying to look like you.

You are more protected because the merchant would be able to refuse the transaction without a photo ID, and you wouldn't have to worry about the charges happening in the first place... then you wouldn't have to do a chargeback etc...

And your point is?

I said an empolyee can steal your identity with extra info. If they steal your cc info, you are protected. If they steal your identity, MC and visa can't do much about that.

As several of us have said in this thread and others, there is no "extra layer of protection". You are protected in the event of a stolen card, as long as you followed Mc and Visa policy.

If a merchant suspects fraud they are supposed to call in a code 10 to Mc or Visa. MC or Visa will speak to the customer and verify their identity. It is not the merchant's place to verify anything other than the signature.

So once again, I ask you, how is the merchant protecting you by asking for id?

I would also like to add that asking for id can be seen as profiling. There have been numerous instances of merchants only asking for ID from certain minority groups. MC and Visa do not want charges of racism or anything like that leveled. IE: An electronics chain, instructed employees to card "black males" that purchased laptops. They made it seem like it was MC and Visa policy. Between Mc and Visa and the bad publicity, they got served.

I don't show my id to any merchant that asks. I call up Mc or Visa and report them (and they are quick about letting them know not to do it again). If a merchant doesn't like the rules, then they should not accept the card.

If you don't mind showing your id, that is your choice and it does not bother me. But if you are justifying it, by saying it is extra protection, you are way off.

Address verification does decrease fraud, hence the reason it is pushed by the card companies. Years ago, when I got my first merchant account, the processor warned me about asking for additional id and told me the procedure to follow if I suspected fraud. They said point blank that asking for id, was not an effective method to cut down on fraud.

I'm just as protected on the charges end if the sales clerk memorizes my addy and then uses the card - but I'm more protected on the false signature end as I can prevent it up front (by using my ID as a requirement).

Not if your wallet is stolen and they have your id. Which happens quite a bit. You are no more protected. Bottom line if your card is stolen. MC or Visa takes care of it. The merchants do nothing.

I love the idea of a PIN # required for all credit transactions - perhaps going to that method INSTEAD of signatures.

I have always thought that was a good idea too. My processor said that some issuers are seriously considering it.

There are other ways to cut back on fraud that could be implemented that are more effective than asking for id.

I am a merchant, and for large purchases, *I* ask for ID.  Many times the cardholder is happy that I did.  Very rare to get someone angry because I wanna see ID on a $750 purchase or something.  Lil stuff, I never bother......

We sometimes get people putting $2,000 on a WAL*MART/SAMS GIFT CARD...TO USE AT SAMS DOWN THE ROAD (they don't take VISA/MC/AMEX)

Sometimes we bend the rules a little...ask for ID

SINCE THE "MERCHANT" DOESN'T KNOW VISA/MC POLICY...I HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT

This is an interesting thread. Last night I purchased $10 worth of items with my Chase MC from WalMart. On the computer screen in front of me was a demand to the check out person: Check card holder's ID (or something very close. Hey, it was late!) All my cards are signed, so that was not the issue.

I wonder if the people who wrote the merchant manuals at MC and VISA know about that?

THAT IS A CARD ISSUER PROMPT

Yeah, I don't get the vehement dislike of being asked for your ID - I prefer it as well.

AMEX & WAL*MART uses ZIP CODE

I have no problem with that...

SHOWING ID IS ENABLING A CREDIT CARD POLICY VIOLATION

I don't carry my ID to show it to a business...IT IS A LICENSE TO DRIVE

And your point is?

I said an empolyee can steal your identity with extra info. If they steal your cc info, you are protected. If they steal your identity, MC and visa can't do much about that.

As several of us have said in this thread and others, there is no "extra layer of protection". You are protected in the event of a stolen card, as long as you followed Mc and Visa policy.

If a merchant suspects fraud they are supposed to call in a code 10 to Mc or Visa. MC or Visa will speak to the customer and verify their identity. It is not the merchant's place to verify anything other than the signature.

So once again, I ask you, how is the merchant protecting you by asking for id?

I would also like to add that asking for id can be seen as profiling. There have been numerous instances of merchants only asking for ID from certain minority groups. MC and Visa do not want charges of racism or anything like that leveled. IE: An electronics chain, instructed employees to card "black males" that purchased laptops. They made it seem like it was MC and Visa policy. Between Mc and Visa and the bad publicity, they got served.

I don't show my id to any merchant that asks. I call up Mc or Visa and report them (and they are quick about letting them know not to do it again). If a merchant doesn't like the rules, then they should not accept the card.

If you don't mind showing your id, that is your choice and it does not bother me. But if you are justifying it, by saying it is extra protection, you are way off.

Address verification does decrease fraud, hence the reason it is pushed by the card companies. Years ago, when I got my first merchant account, the processor warned me about asking for additional id and told me the procedure to follow if I suspected fraud. They said point blank that asking for id, was not an effective method to cut down on fraud.

Not if your wallet is stolen and they have your id. Which happens quite a bit. You are no more protected. Bottom line if your card is stolen. MC or Visa takes care of it. The merchants do nothing.

I have always thought that was a good idea too. My processor said that some issuers are seriously considering it.

There are other ways to cut back on fraud that could be implemented that are more effective than asking for id.

In reference to profiling...

I am "DRESSED DOWN" so I couldn't possibly own an AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM DELTA CARD...I must have borrowed it

AMEX & WAL*MART uses ZIP CODE

I have no problem with that...

ZIP CODE or PIN NUMBER would be fine with me...

But the question is...would it be used 100% of the time???

...or just HERE AND THERE

MC and Visa POLICY is trumped by the LAW--which allows merchants to ask you for id for MANY reasons.

For example--most people know that you can be carded if you buy alcohol--but you can also be carded if you are buying a marker or liquid paper or paint.

There are many many laws that not only enable but REQUIRE merchants to ask for ID and in all cases the LAW trumps the POLICY of the issuing agent of the card.

Perhaps If you're buying Budweiser at Fry's with your Visa, and not a DVD Player.

Somebody mentioned the "card issuer prompt" and that's a very good point. I've seen this quite a bit.

Somebody mentioned the "card issuer prompt" and that's a very good point. I've seen this quite a bit.

JUST A FACT...

JUST A FACT...

And in those cases they aren't violating Visa/MC policy, right? Since it's the card issuer, rather than the retailer asking to check the ID.

I've heard you can actually have this placed on your account to require the prompt.

JUST A FACT...

And in those cases they aren't violating Visa/MC policy, right? Since it's the card issuer, rather than the retailer asking to check the ID.

I've heard you can actually have this placed on your account to require the prompt.

NOT A VIOLATION...

Some credit cards "DID" have that as a way to confirm receipt of the card by US MAIL (before they started the CALL 800# FROM HOME or WORK PHONE)

Check ID for the first purchase...

I know some check cards require you to make a PIN-based purchase or ATM transaction prior to activation.

I think that the banks are trying to make it easier for customers to not have to call to activate. My new MilesEdge Visa with BofA was activated online.