Sign in to follow this  
mom of 2

Collection Account-Please HELP!

This Chiron poster has been silent since the now infamous posting. S/he has only one post. I wonder if Chiron will ever sign on again?

Hi all - I meant no harm in my post, and therefore my apologies for offering what consensus has declared was very poor advice. My silence to date has in part been to allow others to give their opinions and assistance to the poster, that being the point, as opposed to distracting the knowledgeable among you with further ad hominem attacks on a self-confessed newbie. I've got no choice but to assume responsibility for a bad post, and am glad the original thread was answered with better and more complete advice from the rest of you.

While your responses as concerns me and my "help" were not terribly positive, in taking the good from them, it allows me to learn and grow with this forum, which I perhaps incorrectly assume is part of its purpose. Obviously I will in the future attempt to better-research any "advice" I provide, so that I don't come off as a glaring salamander again - lesson learned.

Feel free to trace my IP - it's not cloaked or anything, and you'll find I don't work for a CRA/CA if you really care enough to dig into my personal life, which I assure you is quite dull.

Why would you even offer "advice" if you have no clue what you are talking about. IF your a "newbie" you should be asking questions or reading, not offering "advice"(unless you actually have some insight on something)...this goes for the other "advice" giver as well.

Edited by joshbgosh

Hi all - I meant no harm in my post, and therefore my apologies for offering what consensus has declared was very poor advice.  My silence to date has in part been to allow others to give their opinions and assistance to the poster, that being the point, as opposed to distracting the knowledgeable among you with further ad hominem attacks on a self-confessed newbie.  I've got no choice but to assume responsibility for a bad post, and am glad the original thread was answered with better and more complete advice from the rest of you.

While your responses as concerns me and my "help" were not terribly positive, in taking the good from them, it allows me to learn and grow with this forum, which I perhaps incorrectly assume is part of its purpose.  Obviously I will in the future attempt to better-research any "advice" I provide, so that I don't come off as a glaring salamander again - lesson learned.

Feel free to trace my IP - it's not cloaked or anything, and you'll find I don't work for a CRA/CA if you really care enough to dig into my personal life, which I assure you is quite dull.

I'm sure you meant no harm...and no harm was done...and again, I apologize if you took offense to my mention of you working for a CA...the problem as I see it is that you posted something as fact (that the 7 years restarts) without

anything to back it up, as it's well known that it does NOT restart, it appeared that you were trying to convince the poster to pay a debt that may or may not be his.

If the debt is yours, I would settle it, but get a Pay for Delete before you send any money.

Why are you offering advice and you don't know what you are talking about?

YOu and Chiron must work for the same company.

DO NOT take this advice or the advice of Chiron neither have a clue what they are talking about, that or they work for CA's

Someone please BAN these two trolls!

I haven't done anything wrong or called anyone names; I have just given the best advice IMHO. What's wrong with paying of your debts if they're yours?

Do NOT offer advice on this board when you have NO CLUE what you are talking about. If someone post a thread asking ...newbies post you "opinions" here then post your "advice" otherwise wait until you nkow what you are talking about. This is how people get mis-informed.

My patience has worn thin here!

Edited by joshbgosh

I don't think any of use were the least bit concerned or interested in your personal life. Many of us were wondering about your professional life...as a collector. It seemed the advice was suspect.

ATTENTION, READ THE NEWBIE THREAD BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY OFFERING ADVICE!!!! SHEESH!

I'm sorry if I sound harsh this is happening way too much lately and peopple are getting BAD advice because people are offering opinions as facts...this all stems from people not paying attention to the "newbies, please read BEFORE posting" thread

Edited by joshbgosh

If the debt is yours, I would settle it, but get a Pay for Delete before you send any money.

DO NOT take this advice or the advice of Chiron neither have a clue what they are talking about, that or they work for CA's

I haven't done anything wrong or called anyone names; I have just given the best advice IMHO. What's wrong with paying of your debts if they're yours?

absolutely nothing....

that being said...you have an outstanding debt to Citibank for 683.75....please send ME the money...

see how that works? That's why validation is SO important when dealing with CAs...they MUST be able to prove that it's your debt, that it's valid, and that you owe it to THEM...

absolutely nothing....

that being said...you have an outstanding debt to Citibank for 683.75....please send ME the money...

see how that works? That's why validation is SO important when dealing with CAs...they MUST be able to prove that it's your debt, that it's valid, and that you owe it to THEM...

Of course I understand that...that's why I started my post with "IF THE DEBT IS YOURS..."

And joshbgosh, a pay for deletion is something you can do to get things removed from your credit report when you pay a debt. If the debt is yours you would communicate with the CA that you will pay off the debt if it is deleted from your credit report. (pay for delete) You should always get it in writing first before sending any money to the CA. There are several form letters you can find by googling that you can send to the CA for this purpose.

This would help the OP because the debt would be removed from the CR.

absolutely nothing....

Of course I understand that...that's why I started my post with "IF THE DEBT IS YOURS..."

And joshbgosh, a pay for deletion is something you can do to get things removed from your credit report when you pay a debt. If the debt is yours you would communicate with the CA that you will pay off the debt if it is deleted from your credit report. (pay for delete) You should always get it in writing first before sending any money to the CA. There are several form letters you can find by googling that you can send to the CA for this purpose.

WOW! YOu still don't get it. Are you telling US what PFD is? DO you think we don't know...again READ! If you want to pay a debt that is out of SOL go right ahead, but don't suggest it to people asking questions here. (and that wasn't even the question asked anyways)

Again- forgive me for sounding so harsh, but really this is getting rediculous.

Edited by joshbgosh

Welcome our new friends. You will find that our members have spent many hours, blood, sweat and tears over credit issues. If you find their responses opposing yours, take time to read the board and perhaps understand "why" before sending a message to the Mods tattle-tailing on them. I will not edit nor remove anything in this thread, nor offer anyone a time out. All kids here are playing nice on the playground considering what was posted.

Carry on,

Jessica ... sponsored message from your Moderating Team :)

ams,

I'm not chasing after you thinking you're some spy...

The belief on this board is that on many levels (with certain OBVIOUS exceptions), we're a credit repair board, not a morality board. We give people advice that will allow them to best fix their credit, not get them humanitarian of the year awards :blush2: Therefore, if the CA cannot validate the debt, how does the OP know he/she'd be paying the right amount? Best to validate, validate, validate. If the TL comes off the credit report, your job is done. We're repairing credit...that's what we do. No offense meant in this post to you...

Besides, I believe the debt is out of legal statute of limitations at this point, which means there IS no debt...not one that the OP can be help legally accountable for, anyway.

ams,

I'm not chasing after you thinking you're some spy...

The belief on this board is that on many levels (with certain OBVIOUS exceptions), we're a credit repair board, not a morality board. We give people advice that will allow them to best fix their credit, not get them humanitarian of the year awards ;) Therefore, if the CA cannot validate the debt, how does the OP know he/she'd be paying the right amount? Best to validate, validate, validate. If the TL comes off the credit report, your job is done. We're repairing credit...that's what we do. No offense meant in this post to you...

Besides, I believe the debt is out of legal statute of limitations at this point, which means there IS no debt...not one that the OP can be help legally accountable for, anyway.

:blush2:

And joshbgosh, a pay for deletion is something you can do to get things removed from your credit report when you pay a debt.  If the debt is yours you would communicate with the CA that you will pay off the debt if it is deleted from your credit report.  (pay for delete)  You should always get it in writing first before sending any money to the CA.  There are several form letters you can find by googling that you can send to the CA for this purpose.

True...IF the debt is yours...AND the CA has the legal right to collect AND they can prove it AND it's not beyond SOL AND the CA hasn't broken the law to collect...AND they're willing to delete it AND they're asking for the right amount...AND they can show that the debt IS yours...

sure...pay it...

but not before ALL of the above conditions are met...

...it appeared that you were trying to convince the poster to pay a debt that may or may not be his.

Sorry if it came across that way - my point was that if the debt were valid, it merely seemed ethical to pay it. If it's not valid, well, that's been discussed beyond my level of experience, so I'll leave it at that. For the record, I'm fighting an 8am-daily-calls [incorrect] collections problem myself, saw that a post had been (at the time) lightly answered, and merely thought to "help" with my experiences of the past year or so. Obviously that was a bad idea due to my bad info. Sorry for that, but thanks to those of you who have helped inform not only the original poster, but myself. I don't imagine I'll be posting "advice" again. I've not been slapped so hard since I was in Catholic school, wow.

ATTENTION, READ THE NEWBIE THREAD BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY OFFERING ADVICE!!!! SHEESH!

Agreed, and the newbie/general sections are where I'll be in the future. They're where I should have been last night, and I wouldn't be wasting everyone's time today. Sorry again. Of course, with calls for tracing, banning, etc, I imagine this is one troll will be even more sorry by the time the weregild is satisfied.

I don't think any of use were the least bit concerned or interested in your personal life. Many of us were wondering about your professional life...as a collector. It seemed the advice was suspect.

I am a collector all right. I like old cars, coins, etc. However, my life has nothing to do with working for a collections agency or a CRA, nor have I worked for either sort in the past. Which is how I got myself into this bind, providing bad "advice" on a subject that as JessicaRabbit88 pointed out, I have not spent enough hours, blood, sweat, and tears on.

Yet.

We'll see how bad I can feel by the time you're all done :good:

Even if the debt IS valid...the collector MUST be able to prove it...otherwise, it ISN'T valid...

as for your personal issue with the collector calling...there are LOTS of ways to stop that...and right here is the place to learn about it...ask questions and learn...that's what this board is here for

...as for your personal issue with the collector calling...there are LOTS of ways to stop that...and right here is the place to learn about it...ask questions and learn...that's what this board is here for

Oh, I rather enjoy the calls, they've let me stop using an alarm clock... I also get to let my toddler practice phone etiquette from time to time, and if nothing else, I get to know that every call they make busts them for a whopping $.05/minute or whatever their rates may be. At some point I'll find the time to dispute it all... looks to be plenty of info - if you ignore the newbie salamanders (cough) - lodged in this forum to make it all pretty easily done.

Even if the debt IS valid...the collector MUST be able to prove it...otherwise, it ISN'T valid...

as for your personal issue with the collector calling...there are LOTS of ways to stop that...and right here is the place to learn about it...ask questions and learn...that's what this board is here for

Pryan:

I am interested in helping others stop harrassing phone calls, as I learned about Cease and Desist letters on this site a while ago. You mentioned other strategies to stop calls from creditors. Could you take a moment to list some?

I found it difficult to get an address out of someone who was calling. Often I could not match the company name the caller gave me with demand letters which might have arrived weeks before or not at all. They were frequently so abusive they would not even mention the company name, but maybe that was because I was insistent on getting their name and company before telling them whether " I " was available. In order to send a cease and desist letter to stop the calls I needed a company name and address. It was tough to get.

Apparently my calls have stopped, but I am interested in helping others. Mention some specific strategies for us?

But the CA has to prove that they are yours!. A person's debt with the OC is not the same as when it is aquired by the CA (particularly those who buy the debts for pennies on the dollar.) If you could go back to the OC and pay them what you owed I might be inclined to agree that if you could pay you should (if they can verify) BUT why should you pay a CA an amount which is multiple times what they have actually paid for a debt? Remember that the OC has written the debt off as a loss on their financial returns so they're not actually out of pocket.

Also remember that people don't not pay bills for the hell of it - there's normally a damn good reason why they couldn't or wouldn't pay. In the short time I've been looking at this forum (to which I've become addicted by the way) I'd want to ensure that any CA could validate what they were asking me to pay. If I said to you that I owned a debt of yours wouldn't you want me to prove that all the details were correct?

BTW I'm a newb so feel free to disregard my comments

And joshbgosh, a pay for deletion is something you can do to get things removed from your credit report when you pay a debt.  If the debt is yours you would communicate with the CA that you will pay off the debt if it is deleted from your credit report.  (pay for delete)  You should always get it in writing first before sending any money to the CA.  There are several form letters you can find by googling that you can send to the CA for this purpose.

True...IF the debt is yours...AND the CA has the legal right to collect AND they can prove it AND it's not beyond SOL AND the CA hasn't broken the law to collect...AND they're willing to delete it AND they're asking for the right amount...AND they can show that the debt IS yours...

sure...pay it...

but not before ALL of the above conditions are met...

Darn Pryan....You beat me too it..Maybe next time :dntknw:

Darn Pryan....You beat me too it..Maybe next time :dntknw:

Where the heck have you been? We had a heck of a fight today about some of these posters, all newbies giving advice. So many problems, I decided never to give advice again, and I have been here for a year! LOL! :dntknw:

Pryan:

I am interested in helping others stop harrassing phone calls, as I learned about Cease and Desist letters on this site a while ago. You mentioned other strategies to stop calls from creditors. Could you take a moment to list some?

I found it difficult to get an address out of someone who was calling. Often I could not match the company name the caller gave me with demand letters which might have arrived weeks before or not at all. They were frequently so abusive they would not even mention the company name, but maybe that was because I was insistent on getting their name and company before telling them whether " I " was available. In order to send a cease and desist letter to stop the calls I needed a company name and address. It was tough to get.

Apparently my calls have stopped, but I am interested in helping others. Mention some specific strategies for us?

a full C&D is generally a bad idea....limited C&D is the way to go...you can also make things "fun" if you so desire, but it IS risky...a whistle kept by your phone, answering in a fake forgein language, etc

getting the name and address is pretty simple...if you have the phone number, that's helpful, but even if they won't give you that, you can just say something like: "if I were to send you payment, where would I send it?"

What's wrong with paying of your debts if they're yours?

In a perfect world, nothing. In the topsy-turvy world of credit repair, defaulted things you later pay do not improve your FICO score. And if by paying them the creditor (properly) updates the "status date" too you can actually lose FICO points. And god forbid they improperly update the "date of last activity" ... your derogatory entry could be tacked on for 7 more years, even if it was 1 day from dropping off (already 6 years, 364 days old). (and yes I know 7 years isn't the exact amount of time things stay on ... there's the additional 180 days added pre-DOLA, and the month or two taken off so that CRAs don't have to worry so much about precise compliance)

Im still smelling something fishy here even with all the aplogizes

Going on.Im I the only one?

Edited by screwedbysears

Im still smelling something fishy here even with all the aplogizes

Going on.Im I the only one?

Yeah, just what I was thinking too...

BTW wouldn't it be nice if people referenced their answers so that the OP could have concrete knowledge of where the rules come from and why?

Fair Credit Reporting Act

§ 605. Requirements relating to information contained in consumer reports [15 U.S.C. § 1681c]

© Running of reporting period.

(1) In general. The 7-year period referred to in paragraphs (4) and (6)(2) of subsection (a) shall begin, with respect to any delinquent account that is placed for collection (internally or by referral to a third party, whichever is earlier), charged to profit and loss, or subjected to any similar action, upon the expiration of the 180-day period beginning on the date of the commencement of the delinquency which immediately preceded the collection activity, charge to profit and loss, or similar action.

I was checking some other boards and this guy Chiron also gives bad advice there.

Here are couple I found.

From a computer board

Post : My computer is running slow what can I do to make it faster?

Answer:Chiron

There is a tiny switch on the back of your computer that says 120/240 switch that to 240 that will make it go twice as fast.

Heres one from a medical info board:

Post: Im always getting small burns whats the best way to handle them?

Well as soon as you burn yourself put butter on it, it is colder then water cause its in the fridge and the oils will make it heal quicker.

Also this one from a cooking board.

Post: What can I do when Im in the middle a making a cake and I don't have an egg?

Well if you have an eggplant handy just put that in the blender till its just as runny as an egg then put that it in it will work fine.

just kidding