Sign in to follow this  
breeze

OPT OUT!

Equifax is my only report that shows file blocked for promotional purposes, I need to call TU and EX and varify that my file is blocked, that seems like a crap shoot, I've had CSR's from the CRA's say one thing and my reports reflect another thing on more than several occassions. Any one know if there is a solution to varify if its not listed or should it be part of a consumer statement? or show somewhere on your personal info section?

CreditSultan:

You can actually check it much quicker for EXP by logging in to your online report using a valid report number, then check on the top where it says " Your personal statement ".

It seems like this is the wrong place for it to appear, but I watch my SO's and my own EXP online report, and hers just came off Fraud Alert. That is the easiest way to see if EXP has it correct.

For TU, you can quickly call them and just ask.

I just recently moved from Texas to Indiana. All my collections accounts are at least two years old. I have no new accounts in my name (no apt. lease, no telephone, utilities, not even a bank account).

Should I opt out using my old address? I do get mail here,(forwarded by the USPS) but have never gotten any collections notices. I am afraid they may find me!!

Opt out using old addrss or new?

Found this on the web:

It is an opt-out world, and today we will give you explicit instructions on how to get off those mailing lists and proactively stop unwanted solicitations. Getting your name off lists will reduce the number of credit-related temptations sent to you. It will cut down on unwanted phone solicitations, and it will safeguard your information from people who might otherwise get their hands on it.

CRA Opt-Out. Consumer reporting agencies make money by selling your credit header to anyone who is willing to pay for it and has a permissible purpose for gathering that information.

You probably noticed a lot of promotional inquiries on your credit report. These come from anyone who wants to extend you credit or sell you things. If they can show some sort of permissible purpose, and if they pay up, these companies can get your name, address, phone number, etc. from the credit bureaus. Fortunately, you can stop them from selling your header information by opting out. Here's how:

1. Call 1-888-5OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688).

2. Listen to the prompts and select the one that allows you to opt out of lists for consumer reporting agencies.

3. As of this writing, the recording give you three options:

opt out for two years

come back on the lists if you've already opted out

opt out forever

4. You'll be prompted to enter your home telephone number. It will then look up the number in the database and ask you to confirm that they have the correct street number.

4. You will be prompted to say and spell your name. Be sure to say your first name and spell it. Same for middle and last name.

5. You will be asked to enter your Social Security number so they can verify that it's really you. Do so.

They were sneaky by putting the "forever" option after the "come back on the lists" option because you don't expect it. Select the telephone keypad number associated with the option you'd like. I chose to opt out forever. By doing this, the CRAs will never sell my information to anyone for marketing purposes. Of course, the law can always change, so it's a good idea to check these things out from time to time.

Another thing to keep in mind: Doing this only opts you out of the CRA lists. Many other institutions will compile and sell your information for these same purposes. We'll talk about them in a moment. For now, stop what you're doing and call that toll-free number above to opt out.

Direct Marketing Association (DMA) Opt-Out. The Direct Marketing Association is the industry trade group for just about anyone who gathers information and wants to sell it to other people for marketing purposes. Federal law requires that you be allowed to opt out of its sale of your personal information to other organizations. By opting out, you'll be excluded from their lists for five years.

The DMA is a little sleazy in their online setup because they make you fill out 3 different forms for opting out of telephone, postal mail, and email solicitations. Even sleazier is the fact that they charge you $5 if you want to do this online. It's free to do it via U.S. mail, but you have to print out the information and mail it, which they know a lot of people won't do. But, you will, right? Yes, you will. Go to each of the following pages, fill out the form, click "Register By Mail" and print out it out.

Mail: http://www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglistdave

Phone: http://www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offtelephonedave

Email: http://www.dmaconsumers.org/consumers/optoutform_emps.shtml

Once you print out the telephone and postal mail opt-out forms, sign them, address an envelope, stick a stamp on it, and send it off to be processed.

Financial Institution Opt-Out. The recently enacted Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act spells out how various financial institutions can use your personal information. Did you know that your bank, brokerage, mortgage lender, credit union, credit card company, etc. are all selling your information to marketers? Yep, it's true. However, you can tell them to stop doing this for marketing purposes. Unfortunately, there is no single form, phone number, or mailbox to send your request. You have to do a little detective work to get instructions on how to opt out. Many institutions will include this information on their website privacy policy. As an example, here is the opt-out information for MBNA:

http://www.mbna.com/privacy.html.

Scroll down about a third of the way and you'll see its explicit opt-out information. Each of your financial institutions should have this information readily available to you.

You should also be able to get this information by calling your bank, brokerage, or credit card's customer service number. When in doubt, just start dialing. When you get a live human being, tell them you need information on how to opt out of that financial institution selling your personal information for marketing purposes. If the entry-level customer service rep says, "Oh, we don't do that," politely ask to speak with their supervisor. All financial institutions are required to provide this opt-out capability. I'd be stunned if there are any whose policy is not to sell customer information. If you know of one, drop me an email and we'll sing its praises.

Make sure to go over all of your accounts to identify any financial institutions with whom you do business. Basically, if they've lent you money or if they handle your money, they are a financial institution and you should be opting out of their marketing lists.

Everyone else. Many other companies collect your personal information and sell it. There is nothing illegal about it. However, that doesn't mean you have to stand for it. For example, did you know that video-rental giant Blockbuster collects and sells your information? Check out its online privacy policy:

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/help/privacy...0,7644,,00.html?

It contains opt-out provisions at the end of the page, but only to get out of email communications. You'll have to call the customer service number to find out how to take yourself off the regular postal mail and phone lists. We're not picking on Blockbuster for any particular reason. It is just a good example of a mainstream company that collects information about you.

Some companies will not allow you to opt out at all. Nothing in the law says that a non-financial company has to let you opt out. Privacy advocates recommend taking your business elsewhere and then  telling the company in a letter why you stopped doing business with them. One letter may not change their policy, but 100,000 might. If you don't let companies know about business practices that you don't like, they won't stop.

I've opted out and tonight I did the phone,email,mail opt-out but.....how important is the Financial Institution Opt-Out....it seems like the smallest worry of them all?

any opinions? :good:

PRM = PROMOTIONAL INQUIRY

(like a "PRE-APPROVED" offer)

"B" = BUMPAGE

(only about 1,879,025 posts about that subject)

You can also opt out online by going to http://www.optoutprescreen.com (this link is the one they give out when you call 1-888-5optout)

Call me cynacle, but I did a whois lookup on that domain. I'm a little disturbed that the registrant contact info is listed as private and it's registered to Domains by Proxy. Also, this domain was only created in August of '04. Anyone have any more info?

Registrant:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

15511 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353

Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: OPTOUTPRESCREEN.COM

Created on: 10-Aug-04

Expires on: 11-Jul-07

Last Updated on: 27-Apr-05

Administrative Contact:

Private, Registration OPTOUTPRESCREEN.COM@domainsbyproxy.com

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:

INS1.WESTINTERACTIVE.COM

INS2.WESTINTERACTIVE.COM

Registry Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK

admin comment: if you take the name server westinteractive.com and go to their website http://www.westinteractive.com you can see who it is and what they do, and whether or not it's legitimate. Many people use domains by proxy because of the incredible amount of spam and telemarketing generated by allowing the whois information to float freely around on the internet.

Edited by breeze

I've opted out and tonight I did the phone,email,mail opt-out but.....how important is the Financial Institution Opt-Out....it seems like the smallest worry of them all?

any opinions? :good:

well you know what they say about opinions...LOL

IMHO the FI opt out is not worth the bother as it generally only precludes marketing from other parts of the company and its "partner"

And of course there are ways companies can get around such opting out.

you're already turning over your information to these companies; small worry indeed.

bump for my question (post#54) please :yahoo:

Some credit card companies HAVE or HAD like 20 or 30 "PARTNER" companies so they all had to call you...

I always called them as soon as I got the card to say I don't want any PHONE ADVERTISING (OPT-OUT)...SEND US MAIL...I DON'T CARE!!!

Not sure I agree. I opted out in 2003. In 2003 I moved to another state. In 2005 a CA found my address and sent me a notice for a re-aged debt for 2000, and they didn't pull my report. So opt-out doesn't work.

Also, after I moved my new state my address wasn't listed on my CR's for a good two years, and I had to go threw hoops to verify my identity when I applied for new crdit, and yet I have had the CRA's over the phone, ask me for the digits not full address of my address and verify it was in the system and that was in 2003-2004.

So, don't think because it isn't listed (except for Experian) they dont know about your address. TU, EQ and EX hsndle addresses differently.

Hey there,

I did read all of the postings for opt out. I went to search and typed opt out and read all three pages. =0)

I still have a question. I had seen where someone had asked but Im not sure I saw the answer.

I want to do the opt out and will do so immediately. But, my question is this. I have credit card fraud with my maiden name. I got married almost two years ago, and have moved. I never have forward my address nor do I get any collections from the creditors since. I have not updated my info with anyone yet.

I am going to start working on my credit report and know I need to give them the new info. Should I do the opt out first? If I give them my new info when I opt out, will the creditors then get my new info from the credit bureau?

Im scared to do this (update all my info) if the creditors will have it, or the person who was using my credit will get my updated info.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Joeys mom

Found this on the web:

It is an opt-out world, and today we will give you explicit instructions on how to get off those mailing lists and proactively stop unwanted solicitations. Getting your name off lists will reduce the number of credit-related temptations sent to you. It will cut down on unwanted phone solicitations, and it will safeguard your information from people who might otherwise get their hands on it.

CRA Opt-Out. Consumer reporting agencies make money by selling your credit header to anyone who is willing to pay for it and has a permissible purpose for gathering that information.

You probably noticed a lot of promotional inquiries on your credit report. These come from anyone who wants to extend you credit or sell you things. If they can show some sort of permissible purpose, and if they pay up, these companies can get your name, address, phone number, etc. from the credit bureaus. Fortunately, you can stop them from selling your header information by opting out. Here's how:

1. Call 1-888-5OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688).

2. Listen to the prompts and select the one that allows you to opt out of lists for consumer reporting agencies.

3. As of this writing, the recording give you three options:

opt out for two years

come back on the lists if you've already opted out

opt out forever

4. You'll be prompted to enter your home telephone number. It will then look up the number in the database and ask you to confirm that they have the correct street number.

4. You will be prompted to say and spell your name. Be sure to say your first name and spell it. Same for middle and last name.

5. You will be asked to enter your Social Security number so they can verify that it's really you. Do so.

They were sneaky by putting the "forever" option after the "come back on the lists" option because you don't expect it. Select the telephone keypad number associated with the option you'd like. I chose to opt out forever. By doing this, the CRAs will never sell my information to anyone for marketing purposes. Of course, the law can always change, so it's a good idea to check these things out from time to time.

Another thing to keep in mind: Doing this only opts you out of the CRA lists. Many other institutions will compile and sell your information for these same purposes. We'll talk about them in a moment. For now, stop what you're doing and call that toll-free number above to opt out.

Direct Marketing Association (DMA) Opt-Out. The Direct Marketing Association is the industry trade group for just about anyone who gathers information and wants to sell it to other people for marketing purposes. Federal law requires that you be allowed to opt out of its sale of your personal information to other organizations. By opting out, you'll be excluded from their lists for five years.

The DMA is a little sleazy in their online setup because they make you fill out 3 different forms for opting out of telephone, postal mail, and email solicitations. Even sleazier is the fact that they charge you $5 if you want to do this online. It's free to do it via U.S. mail, but you have to print out the information and mail it, which they know a lot of people won't do. But, you will, right? Yes, you will. Go to each of the following pages, fill out the form, click "Register By Mail" and print out it out.

Mail: http://www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglistdave

Phone: http://www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offtelephonedave

Email: http://www.dmaconsumers.org/consumers/optoutform_emps.shtml

Once you print out the telephone and postal mail opt-out forms, sign them, address an envelope, stick a stamp on it, and send it off to be processed.

Financial Institution Opt-Out. The recently enacted Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act spells out how various financial institutions can use your personal information. Did you know that your bank, brokerage, mortgage lender, credit union, credit card company, etc. are all selling your information to marketers? Yep, it's true. However, you can tell them to stop doing this for marketing purposes. Unfortunately, there is no single form, phone number, or mailbox to send your request. You have to do a little detective work to get instructions on how to opt out. Many institutions will include this information on their website privacy policy. As an example, here is the opt-out information for MBNA:

http://www.mbna.com/privacy.html.

Scroll down about a third of the way and you'll see its explicit opt-out information. Each of your financial institutions should have this information readily available to you.

You should also be able to get this information by calling your bank, brokerage, or credit card's customer service number. When in doubt, just start dialing. When you get a live human being, tell them you need information on how to opt out of that financial institution selling your personal information for marketing purposes. If the entry-level customer service rep says, "Oh, we don't do that," politely ask to speak with their supervisor. All financial institutions are required to provide this opt-out capability. I'd be stunned if there are any whose policy is not to sell customer information. If you know of one, drop me an email and we'll sing its praises.

Make sure to go over all of your accounts to identify any financial institutions with whom you do business. Basically, if they've lent you money or if they handle your money, they are a financial institution and you should be opting out of their marketing lists.

Everyone else. Many other companies collect your personal information and sell it. There is nothing illegal about it. However, that doesn't mean you have to stand for it. For example, did you know that video-rental giant Blockbuster collects and sells your information? Check out its online privacy policy:

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/help/privacy...0,7644,,00.html?

It contains opt-out provisions at the end of the page, but only to get out of email communications. You'll have to call the customer service number to find out how to take yourself off the regular postal mail and phone lists. We're not picking on Blockbuster for any particular reason. It is just a good example of a mainstream company that collects information about you.

Some companies will not allow you to opt out at all. Nothing in the law says that a non-financial company has to let you opt out. Privacy advocates recommend taking your business elsewhere and then  telling the company in a letter why you stopped doing business with them. One letter may not change their policy, but 100,000 might. If you don't let companies know about business practices that you don't like, they won't stop.

I just wanted to add the following: If you opt out through the DMA, you are apparently opted out with the CRA's as well. If you want to be sure that you're opted out with the CRA's, I would definitely still recommend using 1-888-5-OPT-OUT. Opting out through the DMA is only good for five years or even less if your address changes in the meantime.

I mostly wanted to mention this issue for people who decide to opt back in with the CRA's (like me) and they can't figure out the continuing absence of pre-screened offers or PRM inquiries. If they opted out through the DMA too, they will also need to opt back in with them.

Here's a thread that mentions this issue:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97521

I didn't have any PRM inquiries on my reports until I opted back in with the DMA -- i.e., until my name & address was removed from their MPS list. About a month after the DMA opt-in, I finally received a pre-approved offer which used Experian for the soft inquiry.

I opted out a month ago and I started to get letters from the CC companies that declined me. Why is that?

Edited by yurarse

I opted out last week and chose 5 year. How would I be able to change it to forever?

You can only opt out through the Direct Maketing Association five years at a time. If you're talking about opting out permanently through the CRA's, that's easy. Just select "Permanent Opt-Out" at this web site and follow the instructions: https://www.optoutprescreen.com

I opted out a month ago and I started to get letters from the CC companies that declined me. Why is that?

They might be basing the offers on the information you provided to them earlier. Also, it can take more than a month. Companies don't necessarily mail out offers immediately after the PRM inquiry appears on your report.

I did the opt-out yesterday so it will be awhile before I see any results, but I can say I got a great offer last year from BONY for 15 months 0% and that was from a call I made to them. None of the "pre-approved" offers I received in the mail before or since could even touch that.

The most vicious marketing list, IMHO- is the list of mortgage shoppers.

Once that inquiry from a mortgage company hits your reports, you go on the list- which is sold to CA's, debt buyers, etc...

They know that you're mortgage shopping.

They also know that you won't be able to close without paying off negatives on your report.

They toss their collections on your report and sit back, waiting for a check.

Opting out prevents your name from being included on that marketing list.

Just so everyone knows, many sub-prime lenders, like myself, do not require collections to be paid off at all. Someone could have $50,000 in collections, and we wouldn't bat an eye. Not to mention, if you have a decent score and low LTV on the loan, you can get a rate very comparable to prime.

The CA's ability to use paying them off to get a mortgage as leverage is fading away. :blink:

How would I go about finding a "sub-prime" lender? I borrowed from a relative to pay some credit accounts off and would like to refinance with cash out to pay this person back.

Do I need to opt out for every address they have on each CR (so multiple submissions), or is once good enough - my SSN should be enough?  I thought it was a "once and your done", but someone's post made me think perhaps I need to remove each address? 

I'm new - thanks for your patience!

I'm wondering about this too. Does anyone know the answer?

You can also opt out online by going to http://www.optoutprescreen.com (this link is the one they give out when you call 1-888-5optout)

Call me cynacle, but I did a whois lookup on that domain. I'm a little disturbed that the registrant contact info is listed as private and it's registered to Domains by Proxy. Also, this domain was only created in August of '04. Anyone have any more info?

Registrant:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

Administrative Contact:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

INS1.WESTINTERACTIVE.COM

INS2.WESTINTERACTIVE.COM

Why has nobody responded to this?!

Registrant:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

Administrative Contact:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

INS1.WESTINTERACTIVE.COM

INS2.WESTINTERACTIVE.COM

most likely because so many people have used that opt-out link and it's worked like it's supposed to.....it's a legit website and opting-out from there certainly works

Registrant:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

Administrative Contact:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

INS1.WESTINTERACTIVE.COM

INS2.WESTINTERACTIVE.COM

most likely because so many people have used that opt-out link and it's worked like it's supposed to.....it's a legit website and opting-out from there certainly works

*sigh of relief*

thanks

Registrant:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

Administrative Contact:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com

United States

(480) 624-2599

INS1.WESTINTERACTIVE.COM

INS2.WESTINTERACTIVE.COM

*sigh of relief*

thanks

no problem, I wasn't positive about the site at first, but then I saw thousands of posts of people talking about it so I knew it was legit <_<

Seems to me you should be able to opt out with an old address, esp. if there's a chance your new one isn't on record yet. The main things are your SSN, DOB and name. After all, you're sure the old one IS on record, as an old one or as a current one. What would a data entry tech do if they read an opt out for an old address that appears on the credit reports? My guess is they'd put it in. Try it with the old address and pull your credit report.

I just did this - pulled my EQ report online before becoming a CB member, so I'll see if I was fool enough to give them my new address, don't recall.

Off topic... how about this as a new acronym: RB for "Rat Bastids" or RBCA=Rat Bastid Collection Agency?