Sign in to follow this  
enigma

George - Walmart demanding ID

itsgettingbetter,

its funny that you want to brag on the fact that  you have lawyers in your family.its also funny that YOU in fact can not show us a link to the law WITHOUT asking your lawyer cousin sitting next to you.

this link is not about what your kinfolk do for a living and besides what in the hell are you doing on this website if you have all that legal support to represent you???? :D  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

btw i was asked for additional id with a check card having a mastercard logo with a picture inserted on it...thats crazy

I had an ATM/Visa checkcard with a photo of me holding my baby.

I was at the register holding the same baby in the identical position. We stood there looking like the photograph on the darn Visa Checkcard!!!! The dumba$$ cashier asked for ID. I handed her my Sam's Club card and she said ok. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now you know that's just ridiculously STUPID. That crap should be illegal!

THE PICTURE ON THE CARD IS THE ID

Visa rules for merchants are here:

https://direct.53.com/help/53express/rules.pdf

From Mastercard merchant manual:

http://www.mastercardmerchant.com/docs/acc...chant_rules.pdf

9.11.2 Cardholder Identification

A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely

because a cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment

of a card at the POI refuses to provide additional identification information,

except as specifically permitted or required by the Standards. A merchant may

require additional identification from the cardholder if the information is

required to complete the transaction, such as for mail order, telephone order,

or electronic commerce transactions.

9.12.2 Charges to Cardholders

A merchant must not directly or indirectly require any MasterCard cardholder

to pay a surcharge or any part of any merchant discount or any

contemporaneous finance charge in connection with a MasterCard card

transaction. A merchant may provide a discount to its customers for cash

payments. A merchant is permitted to charge a fee (such as a bona fide

commission, postage, expedited service or convenience fees, and the like) if

the fee is imposed on all like transactions regardless of the form of payment

used.

• A surcharge is any fee charged in connection with a MasterCard transaction

that is not charged if another payment method is used.

• The merchant discount fee is the fee the merchant pays to its acquirer to

acquire transactions.

9.12.3 Minimum/Maximum Transaction Amount Prohibited

A merchant must not require, or post signs indicating that it requires, a

minimum or maximum transaction amount to accept a valid MasterCard card.

THANKS FOR DOING MY HOMEWORK JOB I WAS ASSIGNED!!! (I guess it was MY homework)

itsgettingbetter,

its funny that you want to brag on the fact that  you have lawyers in your family.its also funny that YOU in fact can not show us a link to the law WITHOUT asking your lawyer cousin sitting next to you.

this link is not about what your kinfolk do for a living and besides what in the hell are you doing on this website if you have all that legal support to represent you???? :D  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

btw i was asked for additional id with a check card having a mastercard logo with a picture inserted on it...thats crazy

Hey--according to the lawyer--it IS legal for them to request additional information--he knows of no such law. So--I asked the person who claimed there was such a law to provide a reference to it.

Turns out--he could not--and the lawyer is correct (big surprise). It is NOT illegal for them to do this.

Sorry this offended you. Yep--I have lots of help--I am here because I would like to share it with others. There are a lot of people here doing their credit repair on their own--and I feel for them. I would like to be able to share any expert advxie that I can.

But- if you don't like it--perhaps I will NOT share the things that I know--no skin off my nose.

YOU NEED TO DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK!!!

I HAVE A JOB TO GO TO!!!

Hey--according to the lawyer--it IS legal for them to request additional information--he knows of no such law. So--I asked the person who claimed there was such a law to provide a reference to it.

Turns out--he could not--and the lawyer is correct (big surprise). It is NOT illegal for them to do this.

But- if you don't like it--perhaps I will NOT share the things that I know--no skin off my nose.

Did you read any of this? Where was it stated it was legal for anyone to ask for additional information. It was stated that the law varies by state and I even gave a link for you ( or anyone else) to look it up. It was also stated that it's against VISA and Mastercard policy to request additional information. A merchant can and will be penalized for not following credit card issuer policy.

Well--I have kept quiet--but I DO have a law degree. What was originally stated was that it was COMPLETELY ILLEGAL to ask for additional information--and that is completely FALSE. Did you READ carefully what was posted? It clearly stated that although it is not the policy of MC and Visa to ask for additional id--that there are "loopholes" that allow individual vendors to do this. No matter what the policy of Visa or MC is--for something to be completely and totally illegal--then there must be a law against it--and there is not.

Great job attacking itsgettingbetter who has not only passed on legal knowledge--but has also hooked several people here up with attorneys who have helped them at little to no cost. He liked to help people who seemed to really need the help--but could not afford it. Unfortunately, he will not be back. Neither will I.

WANT-A-BE [TROLL]

Edited by GEORGE

If you want to fight fraud and id theft show your ID, before its asked for.

But know that showing ID will not prevent id fraud, as career criminals are no joke and are very prepared to show ID, they wont huff and puff at the register and say why are you asking me for ID.

If a person is the card holder, and intentionally wants to fraud the CC company and the store. When the card holder is asked to show ID they can provided that and still call the CC company and say it was'nt me!

In these situations how does carding some one for Prevent Identity theft?

And regardless of if its me or not, when my card is lost or stolen it is my responsibility to call the bank/CC company to cancel the card. So you can ask for ID but the charge wont go thru.

And regarding Walmart, the Walmarts in my area have self check outs i always use, and never have to show ID. They also have these security camera's when you enter and leave that have caught many a theif on camera.

SELF CHECK-OUT NOW HAS RANDOM REQUEST FOR ID

:rolleyes: Here are my favorites:

Hi, I need to cash this check for $1200.00 (and I don't remember ever having waited on them before, many normally go to other branches)

I'll be happy to cash it Mr. X, I just need to see your ID please.

"well I have enough money in my account" (yea that proves who you are)

"well don't you see my checkbook right here, it has my name on it" (oh yea! that really tells me that is you)

"well if you all would quit changing tellers" (hmm we all have been here two years... and I guess it's a lifelong job you are never suppose to quit and hire someone new)

"well when I go to XYZ branch they don't need my ID" (hmm because you go there all the time and they know you?)

"well here is my debit card" (that can be stolen right along with the checkbook)

:blink: I don't get why people get MAD and I mean MAD when you try and protect their money. They'd be REALLY mad if you cashed $1200 check for a crook. I'd be out of a job, and they'd be MAD because I didn't ask the crook for ID!

I don't get why people get MAD and I mean MAD when you try and protect their money. They'd be REALLY mad if you cashed $1200 check for a crook. I'd be out of a job, and they'd be MAD because I didn't ask the crook for ID!

I don't think that's apples to apples - bank accounts, to me at least, are different than credit cards. Bank accounts are YOUR money - when I go take $ out of our savings account, all I have is a withdrawal slip with my account number on it - I present that and my DL voluntarily. I'd think it was weird if the teller didn't ask for ID.

However with VISA/MC and the bylaws of stores accepting those cards and it being detailed that they are not to ask for additional identification - that's a whole different roll of christmas wrap! They're not abiding by the agreement and in my experience, asking for ID isn't across the board for all consumers.

GEORGE,

You still have failed to provide any law that states it was illegal what was done. What was posted/link was MC/Visa agreement NOT case law. If you're going to say things as FACT back it up, not get cocky and rude. Again provide the law that shows it is illegal.

Harlock

GEORGE,

You still have failed to provide any law that states it was illegal what was done.  What was posted/link was MC/Visa agreement NOT case law.  If you're going to say things as FACT back it up, not get cocky and rude.  Again provide the law that shows it is illegal.

Harlock

Hate to butt in, but George wasn't rude and this topic has been debated several times, including on a different board by many of the same people. Eventually it'll probably be a locked thread since it gets so heated.

I don't know if there is case law on this - I don't recall that being brought up before when discussed... maybe if someone wants to spend their Saturday evening Googling..... :rolleyes:

GB did his homework months back, although I did enjoy the disscussion :rolleyes:

Merchant Laws

The following are state laws regarding what merchants can and cannot ask for when you pay by check or credit card. If your state is not listed, then to the best of our knowledge it does not have applicable laws. The laws were researched July 2003. If you know of other laws or have any questions, please contact us through our inquiry form.

Lookie right about here:

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs15plus.htm

GB did his homework months back, although I did enjoy the disscussion :)

Merchant Laws

The following are state laws regarding what merchants can and cannot ask for when you pay by check or credit card. If your state is not listed, then to the best of our knowledge it does not have applicable laws. The laws were researched July 2003. If you know of other laws or have any questions, please contact us through our inquiry form.

Lookie right about here:

THANKS AGAIN for doing MY HOMEWORK!!!!

Today was a ZOO AND 1/2

I even had to CASHIER!!!

EVERY SINGLE REGISTER...even the one I was on..."OUR REGISTER OF LAST RESORT"

Why I get assigned all this HOMEWORK...I don't understand!!!

I'm supposed to NOT have any HOMEWORK between BLACK FRIDAY and JANUARY 2nd

IT'S THE LAW!!!

GB did his homework months back, although I did enjoy the disscussion :)

Merchant Laws

Lookie right about here:

THANKS AGAIN for doing MY HOMEWORK!!!!

Today was a ZOO AND 1/2

I even had to CASHIER!!!

EVERY SINGLE REGISTER...even the one I was on..."OUR REGISTER OF LAST RESORT"

Why I get assigned all this HOMEWORK...I don't understand!!!

I'm supposed to NOT have any HOMEWORK between BLACK FRIDAY and JANUARY 2nd

IT'S THE LAW!!!

George, I knew you where busy and didnt want you to receive bad grades on the upcoming test concerning Merchant Laws.

Wow, this is huge. There are so many locations I have seen that have had a 5 dollar minimum to make a purchase with my Mastercard.

How exactly do you report that business, George?

This happened to me. I had just deposited my loan checks from school ($3500) and a "friend" of mine took a check out of my checkbook while she was in my home, went to MY bank and cashed the check for $3500.00 made out to CASH. I monitor my bank account daily and when I got online the next day I saw that a check for $3500 had been cashed. I immediately took my butt to the bank and went the eff off. I could NOT believe that the teller did NOT ask for ID for a check made out to CASH when this "insert bad word here" cashed a check for such a large sum of money WITH THE SAME TELLER WHO DEPOSITED MY CHECK two days before! I was at the bank for 5 hours getting it all situated. They had to bring out my signature card, I had to sign forms, the police were called, they located the "insert bad word here" she was arrested. I closed out my accounts a week later. I just could not bank at a place that had such poor security measures.

They'd be REALLY mad if you cashed $1200 check for a crook. I'd be out of a job, and they'd be MAD because I didn't ask the crook for ID!

"IF" you pay by CHECK...you ain't gonna' get out of showing your ID (in many cases)

...and ALWAYS for "BIG" CHECKS

Wow, this is huge. There are so many locations I have seen that have had a 5 dollar minimum to make a purchase with my Mastercard.

How exactly do you report that business, George?

WRITE DOWN THE NAME...ADDRESS...CITY...STATE...ZIP CODE...and PHONE NUMBER

I try to buy something for $3.50 or $7.50 to "TEST" them...I NEVER BACK DOWN BUT I WILL WALK (WITH-OUT THE PURCHASE) after I take my notes and I do tell them my intentions!!!

Many places like TOURIST TRAPS have $10.00 or $15.00 or $20.00 minimum signs...(I have never seen $5.00 min) that I remember...

Guess where I went tonight.

WALMART!

I paid by credit card $142.37 and I was asked for my I.D. and I showed it.

I thought about this thread the whole time!

So George are the Cashiers trained that they're not supposed to ask for ID?