Sign in to follow this  
enigma

George - Walmart demanding ID

at my bank i dont even have to have an id to cash my check AND they allow me to cash my dh's checks too.see i think its the banks job to get to know their customers...that's another topic tho.

I would just show id. Trust me I don't like the inconvenience.

Now what I do mind is when I am driving down the freeway and get pulled over show license, registration, insurance then asked to get out of car for no reason.

Now asked everything all over again where are you going coming from just third degreed. And the whole time given dirty looks. Boy was it called outside. My back was killing me and I have nerve damage in legs, so, standing kills me. Now wants to know why I can not stand still and keep bending over and I am gettig upset with him.

I tell him I gave you everything you wanted and I you draged me out of my car for no reason and I told him just search my car if you want. Made me sign some paper and had to wait 15 more minutes for backup???????

Now I have no record. Was not drinking or drugs. Was not speeding. Car legal in everyway. So, How would you like that?

I forgot he decided to have me lift my shirt and pant legs to look for tattoos and scares

He even sees a vacum in the back seat and asked me who's it was and why did I have it.

NOW thats something to be upset about. :D

I forgot I was pulled over for 1 of my license plate lights was out. All that an hour of my life. Why? :D Now I felt Insulted

Edited by azdog

If more companies did it, I believe we would see less of a problem with ID theft.

Perhaps this will go away when companies start using fingerprinting or reading of the iris.

Sure: Big Brother is always the way to go when solving ID theft. It's been a proven fact that a large precentage of ID theft takes place during retail transactions, and through the mail.

Mail would be easier to solve, all credit related material should only be sent certified mail. I just had my new CC delivered to my neighbor. Good thing she's a good person. Of course this will cost in the end, so it's not really a solution, since it causes other issues.

I personally don't want fingerprinting or Iris checks to make a simple purchase at wally world. A theif will always find away around any devices that are in place for the customers protection.

You want wacky policy? TCF here in Chicago wants you to have your ID AND your debit card to withdraw cash from the TELLER. Now that I don't get.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I used to work at Wells Fargo, and for the past 3 years, we've required our customers to enter in their ATM PIN into a pin pad device for additional verification. If they didn't have their card, we could pull it up on our system so they can still enter in their pin.

BTW, for the thread, I've got a Citi, Chase & BofA cards all with my picture & signature on the front of the card. I've never had any problems using them and people don't need to ask for ID with these cards. They're happy & I'm happy (and I don't lose my temper at the stupidity of sales clerks!)

itsgettingbetter,

its funny that you want to brag on the fact that  you have lawyers in your family.its also funny that YOU in fact can not show us a link to the law WITHOUT asking your lawyer cousin sitting next to you.

this link is not about what your kinfolk do for a living and besides what in the hell are you doing on this website if you have all that legal support to represent you???? :angry:  :lol:  :angry:  :angry:

btw i was asked for additional id with a check card having a mastercard logo with a picture inserted on it...thats crazy

Hey--according to the lawyer--it IS legal for them to request additional information--he knows of no such law. So--I asked the person who claimed there was such a law to provide a reference to it.

Turns out--he could not--and the lawyer is correct (big surprise). It is NOT illegal for them to do this.

Sorry this offended you. Yep--I have lots of help--I am here because I would like to share it with others. There are a lot of people here doing their credit repair on their own--and I feel for them. I would like to be able to share any expert advxie that I can.

But- if you don't like it--perhaps I will NOT share the things that I know--no skin off my nose.

BTW, for the thread, I've got a Citi, Chase & BofA cards all with my picture & signature on the front of the card. I've never had any problems using them and people don't need to ask for ID with these cards. They're happy & I'm happy (and I don't lose my temper at the stupidity of sales clerks!)

..and thats what i was saying all along until nobull came with that remark toward me looking suspicious.there is no need asking for another form of verification if you have a photo check card..plain and simple.

Hey--according to the lawyer--it IS legal for them to request additional information--he knows of no such law. So--I asked the person who claimed there was such a law to provide a reference to it.

Turns out--he could not--and the lawyer is correct (big surprise). It is NOT illegal for them to do this.

But- if you don't like it--perhaps I will NOT share the things that I know--no skin off my nose.

Did you read any of this? Where was it stated it was legal for anyone to ask for additional information. It was stated that the law varies by state and I even gave a link for you ( or anyone else) to look it up. It was also stated that it's against VISA and Mastercard policy to request additional information. A merchant can and will be penalized for not following credit card issuer policy.

..and thats what i was saying all along until nobull came with that remark toward me looking suspicious.there is no need asking for another form of verification if you have a photo check card..plain and simple.

No need to get defensive. There was obviously some reason they asked you for the DL. Obviously, the reason is one I will never know, nor do I care to give it another thought.

No need to get defensive.  There was obviously some reason they asked you for the DL.  Obviously, the reason is one I will never know, nor do I care to give it another thought.

No reason to get defensive? You said she must have looked suspicious. Give me a break! My Dh must look horrible then standing in line, all 6'4" of him, with his wife and 4 children, because we get asked frequently for his dl when he uses his credit card. Toys R us, was the last place, just the other day.

Did you read any of this? Where was it stated it was legal for anyone to ask for additional information. It was stated that the law varies by state and I even gave a link for you ( or anyone else) to look it up. It was also stated that it's against VISA and Mastercard policy to request additional information. A merchant can and will be penalized for not following credit card issuer policy.

Well--I have kept quiet--but I DO have a law degree. What was originally stated was that it was COMPLETELY ILLEGAL to ask for additional information--and that is completely FALSE. Did you READ carefully what was posted? It clearly stated that although it is not the policy of MC and Visa to ask for additional id--that there are "loopholes" that allow individual vendors to do this. No matter what the policy of Visa or MC is--for something to be completely and totally illegal--then there must be a law against it--and there is not.

Great job attacking itsgettingbetter who has not only passed on legal knowledge--but has also hooked several people here up with attorneys who have helped them at little to no cost. He liked to help people who seemed to really need the help--but could not afford it. Unfortunately, he will not be back. Neither will I.

No need to get defensive.  There was obviously some reason they asked you for the DL.  Obviously, the reason is one I will never know, nor do I care to give it another thought.

No reason to get defensive? You said she must have looked suspicious. Give me a break! My Dh must look horrible then standing in line, all 6'4" of him, with his wife and 4 children, because we get asked frequently for his dl when he uses his credit card. Toys R us, was the last place, just the other day.

thats what im saying..he was just trying to hassle me like he has in the past.

ahh perhaps all black women look alike?

And just where does this come into play? I haven't read anything here that even remotely suggests it has to do with the color of someones skin. I think that comment was way out in left field and not necessary.

Great job attacking itsgettingbetter who has not only passed on legal knowledge--but has also hooked several people here up with attorneys who have helped them at little to no cost. He liked to help people who seemed to really need the help--but could not afford it. Unfortunately, he will not be back. Neither will I.

While I agree that the personal shots fired were comletely out of line, I don't think it is a reason to pack up and leave. It was only 1 person and I personally think her posts in this thread warrant nothing more than to be ignored.

Don't forget, you can always place someone on your ignore list.

Anybody who has a problem with showing ID, or going through all of the additional steps we have to go through nowadays to get credit, can thank the identity thieves for creating this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, those of us in society who play by the rules are forced to pay the price for those who do not.  The burden carried by the responsible segment of society is a tremendous one.  We are forced to carry uninsured motorist coverage for those who do not feel they need to carry automobile insurance.  We are forced to undergo financial reviews and extended application processes when applying for credit because people have run up huge bills and then walked away from them.  And, now, we are forced to show drivers licences because of all the ID theft.

Sad, but true.

Well said.

I am glad when the merchants ask for my ID. It shows that they are taking extra precautions to insure my safety and that it is me using the card.

I don't see what the big deal with showing your ID is at all... why is this even a 3 page thread? Just be glad that they are watching out for you.

itsgettingbetter,

its funny that you want to brag on the fact that  you have lawyers in your family.its also funny that YOU in fact can not show us a link to the law WITHOUT asking your lawyer cousin sitting next to you.

I don't think he was bragging and I fail to see what the problem is? All that he did was ask for a link, which someone else provided.

this link is not about what your kinfolk do for a living and besides what in the hell are you doing on this website if you have all that legal support to represent you???? :angry:  :huh:  :D  :rolleyes:

Where does this comment come from? Where did he say anything more than he has relatives that are lawyers that he wanted to share the info with? It seems to me, you have several chips on your shoulder and your comments have been completely unnecessary, unwarranted and unwanted.

btw i was asked for additional id with a check card having a mastercard logo with a picture inserted on it...thats crazy

ahhhh i dont think i ever said i had an issue with showing id,however i had a issue with showing more id after already showing the id.hmmmm maybe you need to stop flexing them muscles of yours and gain some common sense mr big and buff(im at the gym at midnight pumping iron)nobull..or is it nobrainer...hush scarecrow

And why was your personal comment here necessary?

lol watch nobull go and tell the moderators that i offended him just like he went back and broke down what the word purple was....get a life..now back to the real topic.

No one tattled, so don't accuse anyone of it. I read this thread all by myself. I figured out that you've got an attitude problem all by myself and I've decided it needs adjusting as well, all by myself.

Personal attacks on members are strictly against the TOS here, which I know you've read. Please keep your personal comments to yourself.

While I agree that the personal shots fired were comletely out of line, I don't think it is a reason to pack up and leave. It was only 1 person and I personally think her posts in this thread warrant nothing more than to be ignored.

LKH this was in response to my post and never, not once, did I attack itsgettingbetter or anyone else. Asking someone to re-read what was written is in no way an attack.

If you want to fight fraud and id theft show your ID, before its asked for.

But know that showing ID will not prevent id fraud, as career criminals are no joke and are very prepared to show ID, they wont huff and puff at the register and say why are you asking me for ID.

If a person is the card holder, and intentionally wants to fraud the CC company and the store. When the card holder is asked to show ID they can provided that and still call the CC company and say it was'nt me!

In these situations how does carding some one for Prevent Identity theft?

And regardless of if its me or not, when my card is lost or stolen it is my responsibility to call the bank/CC company to cancel the card. So you can ask for ID but the charge wont go thru.

And regarding Walmart, the Walmarts in my area have self check outs i always use, and never have to show ID. They also have these security camera's when you enter and leave that have caught many a theif on camera.

that was the most lame post you could come up with.how does somebody look suspicious when they are giving the clerk a card WITH a photo of myself already on it.i see where this is going with you nobull...dont start none,wont be none. :angry:

Don't act all insulted. There must be some reason they asked you for additional ID is all. Did you bother sticking around to see whether the next person who paid with a credit card was asked?

There is a reason for everything.

I guess me and my baby look very suspicious, too. The dumba$$ clerk accepted my Sam's Club card as "ID". Ok now the Sam's club card has a photo of me and the same baby on it! It's the same photo on my checkcard, too. Same darn baby.

What was suspicious about it?

LKH this was in response to my post and never, not once, did I attack itsgettingbetter or anyone else. Asking someone to re-read what was written is in no way an attack.

I wasn't referring to you or your post in any way, shape or form. My comments were directed to sharnese who was attacking more than one person in this thread, and to pandad who said he and itsgettingbetter were both leaving the board due to the personal comments directed towards itsgettinbetter.

itsgettingbetter,

this link is not about what your kinfolk do for a living and besides what in the hell are you doing on this website if you have all that legal support to represent you???? :D  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Maybe you look suspicious. Personally I do not have a problem having them ask for picture ID...in fact, I prefer it. If more companies did it, I believe we would see less of a problem with ID theft.

Perhaps this will go away when companies start using fingerprinting or reading of the iris.

If this is illegal, I, too, would like to see where it is written.

You must be pro "BIG BROTHER"

I wasn't referring to you or your post in any way, shape or form. My comments were directed to sharnese who was attacking more than one person in this thread, and to pandad who said he and itsgettingbetter were both leaving the board due to the personal comments directed towards itsgettinbetter.

I'm having a bad night, once I realized you were not talking about me, I should have edited my post.

Sorry.

I don't understand, I mean, how hard can it be to fake a signature? I'd much rather them check ID for everything, IMO.

THEN SHOW YOUR ID...

I still won't...

I've got an issue with them asking for a DL too.... however I show it - I figure it's a security precaution, 'cuz they sure as heck aren't handwriting analysts who can decipher a true signature from a forgery.

However, I have a flippin' SERIOUS issue if the people in front of me use a cc and they weren't asked for their DL - and I am. (it's happened several times and I do put up a fuss, however the fuss is usually worthless, even after complaining to Staples and my credit card company and VISA).

That's not security IMHO - that's a form of racial profiling on the clerks (or store's) part - make the rules the same for EVERY transaction - not just for those the clerk doesn't like or every 4th person or whatever. Or even if the transaction is over a certain POSTED amount - not one that varies from person to person.

It shouldn't matter but since I brought up this being a form of racial profiling (in my mind anyway), I'm a white woman and it still bugs me. :D

Edited by Ozzyburger

itsgettingbetter,

this link is not about what your kinfolk do for a living and besides what in the hell are you doing on this website if you have all that legal support to represent you???? :D  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

YOUR PICTURE IS THE ID!!!