Sign in to follow this  
enigma

George - Walmart demanding ID

No wonder your in Florida.  Can't believe someone is crying over that Walmart sometimes like most stores in FL ask for your ID, to prove your the person who owns the card.

I bet if your card was stolen and someone went to Walmart bought a $1000 of goods and they did not ask the ID, its be the same thing above crying over that they did not ask for ID..... IMO just be glad they did,  IN, 1997 consumers lost more than $745 million due to identity theft and CC fraud, guess what it is in 2004, in the Billions ...

Please............  :rolleyes:

That is why I use a credit card instead of a Debt/ATM/Check Card.

If it is stolen only liable for up to $50 dollars and that is the law.

It does not matter, it is against Visa/MC policy to ask.

I used to work for a small business that added the 2.95% we had to pay to the bill, most people did not complain, but someone did, we got hammered by Visa. Almost lost our merchant account.

My point being in this post, I know George works or is a Board member :rolleyes: at Walmart. I was told it was Walmart's policy.

And George, I need the goods and I did walk out with the stuff. If I had $50 in cash, I'd would have made her re-ring the stuff and pay in cash for it.

When I was in high school (yeah that was about 15 years ago) I was a cashier in a hardware store--we ALWAYS had to check the id if the purchase was more than a certain amount. (I remember a few minor grumblings--nothing major.)

I have read several times where George says this is illegal--can he point us to the law that prohibits this?

I have a family full of lawyers--and I love it when I can provide THEM with some education.

VISA and MASTERCARD PROHIBIT IT...

People will give me MORE ATTITUDE THAN THEY ALREADY HAVE if I post it again...

People can ask "WHAT IS PG???" like 30 times per week but the people who FOLLOW THE RULES AND SIGN THEIR CARD ARE THE BAD GUYS!!!

I would agree to asking 100% of the customers for ID 100% of the time...CONDITIONAL on people not leaving their ID in the car...and the credit card would not have a signature strip on it...

IT WOULD HAVE TO BE EFFECTIVE ON A GIVEN DATE LIKE SAY 01/01/2006 @ 00:01 am

IT WOULD HAVE TO BE THE LAW AT 100% OF THE BUSINESSES THAT CREDIT CARDS

CID

SEE ID

SEE LICENSE

ARE NOT VALID SIGNATURES

"CARD IS NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED"

Excellent--I like the way you think--

but please give me a link to the LAW.

(I have an attorney sitting here beside me right this minute, who says that yes--checking id is against the stated POLICY of Visa and Mstercard--but that does not make it illegal. He claims that STORE policy trumps the policy of the card provider in this instance--after all--the store owner could "eat it" if the card was stolen.)

You say 100% illegal--please cite the law that makes this illegal me so that I can ram it in this lawyers face.

I HAVE TO GO TO WORK...

I CAN'T DO YOUR HOMEWORK RIGHT NOW!!!

The State Laws vary, so I'll just use NY's Law

The store can ask for your ID but they can not write it down. Since they have no reason to actually see the ID, since they can't write it down, what is the purpose. State Law will trump the credit merchants rules but not following the merchant rules will get their chargings privlages suspended.

You can see laws here:

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs15plus.htm

itsgettingbetter,

its funny that you want to brag on the fact that  you have lawyers in your family.its also funny that YOU in fact can not show us a link to the law WITHOUT asking your lawyer cousin sitting next to you.

this link is not about what your kinfolk do for a living and besides what in the hell are you doing on this website if you have all that legal support to represent you???? :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

btw i was asked for additional id with a check card having a mastercard logo with a picture inserted on it...thats crazy

I had an ATM/Visa checkcard with a photo of me holding my baby.

I was at the register holding the same baby in the identical position. We stood there looking like the photograph on the darn Visa Checkcard!!!! The dumba$$ cashier asked for ID. I handed her my Sam's Club card and she said ok. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now you know that's just ridiculously STUPID. That crap should be illegal!

lol...thats a shame.when the woman asked for another id with another photo i told her "i KNOW you dont expect we to go all the way back to my car and get another id...hell you must dont want my business".

itsgettingbetter,

its funny that you want to brag on the fact that  you have lawyers in your family.its also funny that YOU in fact can not show us a link to the law WITHOUT asking your lawyer cousin sitting next to you.

this link is not about what your kinfolk do for a living and besides what in the hell are you doing on this website if you have all that legal support to represent you???? :lol:  :blink:  :blink:  :P

btw i was asked for additional id with a check card having a mastercard logo with a picture inserted on it...thats crazy

Maybe you look suspicious. Personally I do not have a problem having them ask for picture ID...in fact, I prefer it. If more companies did it, I believe we would see less of a problem with ID theft.

Perhaps this will go away when companies start using fingerprinting or reading of the iris.

If this is illegal, I, too, would like to see where it is written.

that was the most lame post you could come up with.how does somebody look suspicious when they are giving the clerk a card WITH a photo of myself already on it.i see where this is going with you nobull...dont start none,wont be none. :lol:

that was the most lame post you could come up with.how does somebody look suspicious when they are giving the clerk a card WITH a photo of myself already on it.i see where this is going with you nobull...dont start none,wont be none. :lol:

Don't act all insulted. There must be some reason they asked you for additional ID is all. Did you bother sticking around to see whether the next person who paid with a credit card was asked?

There is a reason for everything.

Visa rules for merchants are here:

https://direct.53.com/help/53express/rules.pdf

From Mastercard merchant manual:

http://www.mastercardmerchant.com/docs/acc...chant_rules.pdf

9.11.2 Cardholder Identification

A merchant must not refuse to complete a MasterCard card transaction solely

because a cardholder who has complied with the conditions for presentment

of a card at the POI refuses to provide additional identification information,

except as specifically permitted or required by the Standards. A merchant may

require additional identification from the cardholder if the information is

required to complete the transaction, such as for mail order, telephone order,

or electronic commerce transactions.

9.12.2 Charges to Cardholders

A merchant must not directly or indirectly require any MasterCard cardholder

to pay a surcharge or any part of any merchant discount or any

contemporaneous finance charge in connection with a MasterCard card

transaction. A merchant may provide a discount to its customers for cash

payments. A merchant is permitted to charge a fee (such as a bona fide

commission, postage, expedited service or convenience fees, and the like) if

the fee is imposed on all like transactions regardless of the form of payment

used.

• A surcharge is any fee charged in connection with a MasterCard transaction

that is not charged if another payment method is used.

• The merchant discount fee is the fee the merchant pays to its acquirer to

acquire transactions.

9.12.3 Minimum/Maximum Transaction Amount Prohibited

A merchant must not require, or post signs indicating that it requires, a

minimum or maximum transaction amount to accept a valid MasterCard card.

There would be ALOT less ID theft if there were some sort of standardized ID verification in place.

Again, when iridolology or fingerprinting technology become commonplace, there will be no need for drivers license checks.

lol watch nobull go and tell the moderators that i offended him just like he went back and broke down what the word purple was....get a life..now back to the real topic.

lol watch nobull go and tell the moderators that i offended him just like he went back and broke down what the word purple was....get a life..now back to the real topic.

Gee, Sharnese, maybe it was the TXU police who told the store not to take your card. :lol::blink::blink:

The bottom line is that you feel you should not have to show ID; I believe you should. Disagreement. Get over it. You will not change my mind. ID theft is rampant, and I am willing to pay the price to protect myself, even if it means a minor inconvenience.

My DL NEVER stays in my car. It stays in my wallet right next to my car registration, and, when my car was recently stolen, the wisdom of me NOT leaving that stuff in the car paid off. So, I always have my DL with me, and it is no problem just flipping open my wallet to let the clerk see.

Certainly, you must have more important things to worry about.

ahhhh i dont think i ever said i had an issue with showing id,however i had a issue with showing more id after already showing the id.hmmmm maybe you need to stop flexing them muscles of yours and gain some common sense mr big and buff(im at the gym at midnight pumping iron)nobull..or is it nobrainer...hush scarecrow :lol:

ahhhh i dont think i ever said i had an issue with showing id,however i had a issue with showing more id after already showing the id.hmmmm maybe you need to stop flexing them muscles of yours and gain some common sense mr big and buff(im at the gym at midnight pumping iron)nobull..or is it nobrainer...hush scarecrow :lol:

If we're going to start making cracks about intelligence, I think you are going to need to get a better spell-checker, or, certainly, a grammar checker, Sharnese, so, at least, you have a fighting chance to make it look like a fair competition!!!

..and because i use lowercase lettering when i type does not mean anything.apparently you understand clearly what i type so we must be in the same boat..hmmmm

..and because i use lowercase lettering when i type does not mean anything.apparently you understand clearly what i type so we must be in the same boat..hmmmm

LOL...lower-case...punctuation...grammar....You are all over the map on this one, Sharnese!!!

As I said, it is OK to disagree. I feel more comfortable when they do, in fact, ask for ID. You would have much more of an argument if you could prove that they were only asking for additional ID from YOU.

Anybody who has a problem with showing ID, or going through all of the additional steps we have to go through nowadays to get credit, can thank the identity thieves for creating this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, those of us in society who play by the rules are forced to pay the price for those who do not. The burden carried by the responsible segment of society is a tremendous one. We are forced to carry uninsured motorist coverage for those who do not feel they need to carry automobile insurance. We are forced to undergo financial reviews and extended application processes when applying for credit because people have run up huge bills and then walked away from them. And, now, we are forced to show drivers licences because of all the ID theft.

Sad, but true.

When I was 21, my boyfriend and I were held up and our wallets taken. As a result of this experience, I am actually happy when my ID is asked for. Just my life experience is all.

You want wacky policy? TCF here in Chicago wants you to have your ID AND your debit card to withdraw cash from the TELLER. Now that I don't get.

well if the debit card doesnt have an actual photo of you on it then there's a cause to ask for another form of id.why would you need your debit card to withdraw funds from a bank teller instead of your account number?

That's the part I don't get. If I have ID, what does the debit card have to do with it? I usually go to the teller if the ATM is down, or I want an odd (not multiple of 20) amount of money. The Debit card doesn't have a photo on it and I know my account number by heart. One time I forgot my ATM card but I always carry ID. They REFUSED to let me withdraw. I was kinda pissed.

Edited by TMoore