Sign in to follow this  
enigma

George - Walmart demanding ID

At Walmart, bought $50 worth of goods, paid by CC, clerk demanded DL.

I refused she said either I show DL or will have to pay cash.

Talked to a VERY RUDE CSR, said it was for security durning the holidays.

I said it was against Visa rules, she said Visa does not tell the how to accept the card.

Already emailed a complaint to Walmart and Visa.

I'm assuming it's a matter of principle...if your card is signed then they should not be asking for ID. I get asked a lot but I just show it, not worth the trouble for me.

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or picture ID.

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. To report a merchant, send a letter to the bank that issued your Visa card.

I'm assuming it's a matter of principle...if your card is signed then they should not be asking for ID.  I get asked a lot but I just show it, not worth the trouble for me.

Today was a bad day.

The clerk had a real pissy attitude(sp?).

And it was a matter of principle.

Visa and Mastercard clearly state in their merchant rules you cannot ask for ID on a signed card, PERIOD.

One local bar requires a driver's license and a thumbprint to use a credit card. They also add an 8% surcharge and keep 10% of any tip charged.

Not THIS debate again!

Although I'd love to hear GEORGE's response on this one since it directly includes Wal*Mart.

At Walmart, bought $50 worth of goods, paid by CC, clerk demanded DL.

I refused she said either I show DL or will have to pay cash.

Talked to a VERY RUDE CSR, said it was for security durning the holidays.

I said it was against Visa rules, she said Visa does not tell the how to accept the card.

Already emailed a complaint to Walmart and Visa.

NO ID ON A SIGNED CARD

But if you bought like $1,000 or $2,000 of GIFT CARDS and nothing else...

it is a SECURITY MEASURE (not set in STONE)

One local bar requires a driver's license and a thumbprint to use a credit card.  They also add an 8% surcharge and keep 10% of any tip charged.

100% ILLEGAL

I don't understand, I mean, how hard can it be to fake a signature? I'd much rather them check ID for everything, IMO.

GIVE THE CASHIER YOUR LICENSE WITH YOUR CARD THEN...

Not THIS debate again!

Although I'd love to hear GEORGE's response on this one since it directly includes Wal*Mart.

...ANY YOUR PROBLEM IS???

If people INCLUDING THE CARDHOLDERS all followed the rules...there would be NO DEBATE

No wonder your in Florida. Can't believe someone is crying over that Walmart sometimes like most stores in FL ask for your ID, to prove your the person who owns the card.

I bet if your card was stolen and someone went to Walmart bought a $1000 of goods and they did not ask the ID, its be the same thing above crying over that they did not ask for ID..... IMO just be glad they did, IN, 1997 consumers lost more than $745 million due to identity theft and CC fraud, guess what it is in 2004, in the Billions ...

Please............ :)

When I was in high school (yeah that was about 15 years ago) I was a cashier in a hardware store--we ALWAYS had to check the id if the purchase was more than a certain amount. (I remember a few minor grumblings--nothing major.)

I have read several times where George says this is illegal--can he point us to the law that prohibits this?

I have a family full of lawyers--and I love it when I can provide THEM with some education.

When I was in high school (yeah that was about 15 years ago) I was a cashier in a hardware store--we ALWAYS had to check the id if the purchase was more than a certain amount. (I remember a few minor grumblings--nothing major.)

I have read several times where George says this is illegal--can he point us to the law that prohibits this?

I have a family full of lawyers--and I love it when I can provide THEM with some education.

VISA and MASTERCARD PROHIBIT IT...

People will give me MORE ATTITUDE THAN THEY ALREADY HAVE if I post it again...

People can ask "WHAT IS PG???" like 30 times per week but the people who FOLLOW THE RULES AND SIGN THEIR CARD ARE THE BAD GUYS!!!

I would agree to asking 100% of the customers for ID 100% of the time...CONDITIONAL on people not leaving their ID in the car...and the credit card would not have a signature strip on it...

IT WOULD HAVE TO BE EFFECTIVE ON A GIVEN DATE LIKE SAY 01/01/2006 @ 00:01 am

IT WOULD HAVE TO BE THE LAW AT 100% OF THE BUSINESSES THAT CREDIT CARDS

CID

SEE ID

SEE LICENSE

ARE NOT VALID SIGNATURES

"CARD IS NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED"

I don't understand the problem. Just cos I have a card with a signature on it doesn't mean it is mine. I have no problem with someone requesting a second ID when I use a credit card.

I bet if your card was stolen and someone went to Walmart bought a $1000 of goods and they did not ask the ID, its be the same thing above crying over that they did not ask for ID..... IMO just be glad they did,  IN, 1997 consumers lost more than $745 million due to identity theft and CC fraud, guess what it is in 2004, in the Billions ...

Please............  :rolleyes:

Exactly. What's the big deal?

VISA and MASTERCARD PROHIBIT IT...

People will give me MORE ATTITUDE THAN THEY ALREADY HAVE if I post it again...

People can ask "WHAT IS PG???" like 30 times per week but the people who FOLLOW THE RULES AND SIGN THEIR CARD ARE THE BAD GUYS!!!

I would agree to asking 100% of the customers for ID 100% of the time...CONDITIONAL on people not leaving their ID in the car...and the credit card would not have a signature strip on it...

IT WOULD HAVE TO BE EFFECTIVE ON A GIVEN DATE LIKE SAY 01/01/2006 @ 00:01 am

IT WOULD HAVE TO BE THE LAW AT 100% OF THE BUSINESSES THAT CREDIT CARDS

CID

SEE ID

SEE LICENSE

ARE NOT VALID SIGNATURES

"CARD IS NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED"

Excellent--I like the way you think--

but please give me a link to the LAW.

(I have an attorney sitting here beside me right this minute, who says that yes--checking id is against the stated POLICY of Visa and Mstercard--but that does not make it illegal. He claims that STORE policy trumps the policy of the card provider in this instance--after all--the store owner could "eat it" if the card was stolen.)

You say 100% illegal--please cite the law that makes this illegal me so that I can ram it in this lawyers face.

Edited by itsgettingbetter

i got asked for a $6 charge at the salvation army buying books today... I told the clerk--you know, if i was trying to pull something it wouldn't be on $6 and it wouldn't be here... we both laughed. i'm sure she doesn't set the policy.

i'm asked more often than not to show id. when i do legitimately forget it, i'm always scolded but never turned away.

itsgettingbetter,

its funny that you want to brag on the fact that you have lawyers in your family.its also funny that YOU in fact can not show us a link to the law WITHOUT asking your lawyer cousin sitting next to you.

this link is not about what your kinfolk do for a living and besides what in the hell are you doing on this website if you have all that legal support to represent you???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

btw i was asked for additional id with a check card having a mastercard logo with a picture inserted on it...thats crazy