Sign in to follow this  
mollymeow

Spinoff on signing the back of your credit card...

Can anyone help me remember where I read that it's against merchant agreements with certain CC issuers to actually ask for ID when the card is signed? I don't think I read about it here...but I just can't remember. The search function isn't working for me right now.

I remember the article or post saying that the issuers can refuse to pay the transaction if an ID was asked for, that the signature on the slip matching the signature on the card is good enough ID for the merchants.

The signing cards thread reminded me of this and I'd like to read it again. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Can anyone help me remember where I read that it's against merchant agreements with certain CC issuers to actually ask for ID when the card is signed?  I don't think I read about it here...but I just can't remember.  The search function isn't working for me right now.

I remember the article or post saying that the issuers can refuse to pay the transaction if an ID was asked for, that the signature on the slip matching the signature on the card is good enough ID for the merchants.

The signing cards thread reminded me of this and I'd like to read it again.  Any help is appreciated!  Thanks!

MATCH SIGNATURE SLIP WITH SIGNATURE ON BACK OF CARD...DONE DEAL

LICENSE NOT NEEDED as long as the cashier is reasonably certain the signature matches...ID "CAN" BE REQUESTED "IF" THE SIGNATURE DOES NOT MATCH...or the cashier has reason to believe the person with the card is NOT THE CARDHOLDER (wide open for interpretation)

ASKING FOR ID ON A SIGNED CARD AND SIGNATURE MATCHES IS WRONG PER CREDIT CARD POLICY

Many moons ago, we had a similiar discussion. I queried Visa and Mastercard and

here are the replies:

Thank you for your inquiry to MasterCard International.

A merchant cannot require additional identification as a standard

business

practice when you use MasterCard for payment. To report a merchant in

violation, please visit our website at

http://mastercard.com/cgi-bin/contactus.cg...ate=ContactUsMV

Best regards,

MasterCard International

Customer Service Center

Thank you for your inquiry concerning a request for supplementary information for a Visa transaction. Merchants may not refuse to honor a Visa card simply because the cardholder refuses a request for supplementary information. The only exception is when a Visa card is unsigned when presented. However, "See ID" is not considered a valid signature. In these situations, a merchant must obtain authorization, review additional identification, and require the cardholder to sign the card before completing a transaction.

Please notify the disputes area at the financial institution that services your account of any merchant practices that you feel are inappropriate. Your bank has access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations as well as to the Notification of Customer Complaint forms which should be used by your bank to document and file merchant complaints. It is not necessary for your bank to be the offending merchant's financial institution in order to file a complaint for you.

We hope this information proves helpful, and we thank you for using Visa.

Thank you for writing.

VISA Webmaster

The original thread is here:http://www.creditboards.com/phpBB2/viewtop...er=asc&start=46

Well I need to report the R'us family of stores repeatedly. I get asked for ID when I shop there at least 3x's week by the same cashier. :evil: :evil:

When I worked in a bookstore, three or four people per day left their cards either unsigned or offered "See ID" in lieu of a signature.

There was only one time I missed catching that, but generally I got compliments for asking to see the person's ID.

Otherwise, I glanced to see that the signature on the card bore some resemblance to the signature on the slip.

Well I need to report the R'us family of stores repeatedly. I get asked for ID when I shop there at least 3x's week by the same cashier. :evil: :evil:

DO IT!!!

Years ago I was asked for ID at a store and I presented them with the FACTS that had signed cards

When I worked in a bookstore, three or four people per day left their cards either unsigned or offered "See ID" in lieu of a signature.

There was only one time I missed catching that, but generally I got compliments for asking to see the person's ID.

Otherwise, I glanced to see that the signature on the card bore some resemblance to the signature on the slip.

All well and good, except it violates your merchant agreement and the customers' rights.

All well and good, except it violates your merchant agreement and the customers' rights.

No, it doesn't, because I only asked when the person left the card unsigned or wrote "See ID" in lieu of a signature. In other words, I followed Visa's procedures listed in this thread exactly.

so is it best to sign or not sign the back of the CC

"VOID IF NOT SIGNED"

If you don't sign it...YOUR CARD IS VOID

SEE ID

CID

SEE LICENSE

ARE NOT VALID SIGNATURES

I SIGN ALL MINE BECAUSE I FOLLOW THE RULES!!!!!!!

I sign mine also. Why wouldn't I?

In any case there are some situations where it is not unreasonable to ask for other ID: when selling something such as liquor that requires age verification; when renting a car which requires valid driver's license, etc. I have to think that nothing that MasterCard had to say would get around those requirements.

Some people, having been victims of identity theft, actually prefer to have people check their ID rather than rely on a card signature. Since many identity thieves generate fake IDs too, I don't see this as anything other than a false sense of security.

I pointed out that even if they want me to check their ID, the card isn't valid until signed. What was really annoying was having to call a human for an authorization for an unsigned card (per the merchant agreement, it can't be done via computer).

That said, if a customer signed a card and wrote "See ID" as well, I still looked at their ID. It wasn't a requirement of the company, it was the customer's request. Whatever made them feel more comfortable, y'know?

In any case there are some situations where it is not unreasonable to ask for other ID: when selling something such as liquor that requires age verification; when renting a car which requires valid driver's license, etc. I have to think that nothing that MasterCard had to say would get around those requirements.

SHOWING ID FOR BOOZE and RENTING A CAR is a totally different situation

Thanks you guys, for reposting this information and offering your input. I knew I read it somewhere, and for some reason the search isn't working for me.

My DH and I have been victims of identity theft, but I'm not more likely to want the cashier to see my ID - both times that someone got DH's wallet, they took his card directly to self-check machines. With us, it wasn't human error.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy, and that I really had seen that.

Thanks!

I had one guy come thru my register where I used to work and try to pay with FOUR credit cards... all of which were unsigned... the last one went to go thru and I asked him why he didnt sign it and he gave me his license as a reply. And i told him "card isnt valid unless its signed" and he asked to speak to a manager who ALSO stated the same...

he ended up walking out.

I never asked for ID. All I did was state that he didn't sign it.

Thanks you guys, for reposting this information and offering your input.  I knew I read it somewhere, and for some reason the search isn't working for me.

My DH and I have been victims of identity theft, but I'm not more likely to want the cashier to see my ID - both times that someone got DH's wallet, they took his card directly to self-check machines.  With us, it wasn't human error.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy, and that I really had seen that.

Thanks!

This has got to be one of the better common-sense posts about how showing ID doesn't necessarily prevent credit card fraud. The explosion in fraud and identity theft these days has much more to do with the Internet. The fact that thieves can generate a fake ID with your information almost immediately, and that they'll typically use self-checkout where possible, and a large percentage of credit card fraud happens online anyway...checking ID doesn't prevent any of that!

All of those facts will go unnoticed, however, by the people who just ask "what's the big deal with showing ID?"

To reiterate something George and others always say...if you want to show ID, then just hand your card to the cashier with your ID. You have no authority, however, to say that I should be required to show ID for MY purchase. If the card is signed and the signature matches, THAT'S IT BABY. The merchant won't be liable if I'm doing a fraudulent charge.

Edited by xanthuos

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    mikeh714
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines